“You don't get what you think you're paying for given the price”

St. Regis Princeville Resort
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Princeville
Modesto, CA
“You don't get what you think you're paying for given the price”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

You pay for the view! You THINK you're paying for the view in a 5 star resort with 5 star service, but you're paying for the view, in a 5 star resort.....with 3 star service. The employment pool the St. Regis has to choose from on Kauai is not what they could draw from in New York or Paris and the service level reflects this lack of quality. My reservation specified, on paper and in the email they sent me, that I had reserved a KING bed with a pull-out couch/sofa bed. I explained to the concierge when I made the reservation how important a king bed is to me. Upon arrival I was told I had a room with two queen beds because, "all the king beds have been given away." REALLY???? I specifically asked if the concierge if this could happen and he guaranteed me it would not because if you reserve a king bed you get a king bed. Well I DID NOT!!! even though I had it in writing. I pay for quality, but their prices are simply gougingly high (two appetizers, a hamburger, a soda and two cocktails by the pool was $101. There menu states their wine serving size as 5 oz (anyplace else it's 6 - 8oz) and it's $15 for that 5oz of wine! You QUICKLY learn to eat off property and to buy your wine off property and bring it in (and sneak it down to the pool area.

Room Tip: Get a room on the ground floor by the pool with a "terrace" (i.e. patio) since the hotel...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank jjeppson
St Regis Prince... M, Public Relations Manager at St. Regis Princeville Resort, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Aloha Jjeppson,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your most recent stay at our Resort. Clearly from the details you have provided we did not provide the exceptional service that we are known for and on behalf of the entire St. Regis staff, I apologize. I have shared your concerned with Director of Operations in hopes that we may better train our staff to handle our guests request, needs and overall happiness. We hope you will allow us another opportunity to demonstrate our signature hospitality for which the St. Regis brand is known.

With warmest aloha,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (808)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

We stayed as a baby moon/anniversary trip. It was absolutely amazing. The service was unreal. Breakfasts there were some of the best meals I have ever had. Their drinks were excellent. The pool had quite a few kids, making it loud...but it wasn't too bad. I do wish they had a pool walk up wetbar...but the servers came around frequently. Overall, a pricey place...but totally worth it.

• Stayed June 2013
Aloha Fire14,

Mahalo for taking the time to share your experience about your most recent stay at our Resort. We are pleased to hear you choose us for your babymoon and it would be a pleasure to welcome you back in the future with your new addition to your Ohana (Family).

Larchmont, New York
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Beautiful hotel. My husband and I stayed in an ocean view room for 5 nights in April 2011 (I know, late late review), which was spacious and lovely. Loved the window-front seating in the rooms. View was of pool and bay. Spa was tranquil and nice. Pool and beach were nice but can be a bit of a trek depending on where you are staying since it is such a huge property. Other downsides were: (1) location was a bit remote from restaurants, etc. in other parts of Kauai; (2) having to ask the valet to bring around the car every time we wanted to go out, which was often since you have to drive to get anywhere; and (3) getting bit up by mosquitoes and bugs when dining outside at night (but I guess that's Kauai for you). Bar was great and I had the most delicious virgin pineapple mojito (I was 7 months pregnant at the time of our stay) there. Staff were wonderful and warm.

One complaint which is definitely not limited to the St. Regis is hotel staff assuming that a married couple share the same last name. This happens to us a lot since I always book vacations, so the reservation is always under my name, and my husband and I don't share a last name, so he always ends up getting referred to by my last name (this ends up more funny for us than annoying because I am Asian and he is not).

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Emilee1486
St Regis Prince... M, Public Relations Manager at St. Regis Princeville Resort, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Aloha Emilee1486,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your most recent stay at our Resort. We are pleased to hear you were able to join us on a Babymoon getaway before your bundle of joy arrives. Our hotel is situated on one of the most pristine and secluded areas on Kaua'i which does require a drive out if you are in need of other venues, but we hope you did appreciate our remoteness as well. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back soon and hopefully with a new family member!

Hingham, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 4, 2013

My six month pregnant wife and I spent a week here in late June 2013 for our babymoon. We went in with high expectations and they were all eclipsed. The staff was incredible from top to bottom. We've been to a fair number of high-end places and this was top-notch. From the front desk staff, to the concierge, to the beach attendants to the valet, everyone greeted us with smiles and can-do attitudes.

It's not exactly a cheap place of course, but I felt that it was money well spent. I honestly can't think of something that I was displeased with.

Dan & Sage

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dan P
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed July 3, 2013

Breathtaking views of the mountains and the ocean. Beach is located in a nicely secluded area, not easily accessible by public. Live reef not far from the shores. Best beach I have ever been to!! Ocean snorkeling and group kayak tours offered at the activity center. Can't wait to return.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
McLean, Virginia
Reviewed July 3, 2013

What a great convenience for those lucky enough to visit - the confluence of the natural beauty of the north coast of Kauai with a top resort which allows you to relax with every comfort and take advantage of many adventures. The facilities and staff at the St Regis are superb and the restaurants options delicious! Mahalo!

Room Tip: Building G and H are at the bottom of the cliff nearest to the pool and beach. Bldg G with the best...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
St Regis Prince... M, Public Relations Manager at St. Regis Princeville Resort, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
Aloha WPM3,

Mahalo for taking the time to share your experience about your most recent stay at our Resort. We truly love hearing feedback from our guests and we are pleased to hear your stay was exceptional. Rest and relaxation are a veiled treasure found at our Resort and having a captivating view of Hanalei Bay is truly Mother Nature at her finest. It would be our sincere pleasure to welcome you back for many years to come.

Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed July 2, 2013

Honestly, just okay at best. My husband and I went here on our honeymoon and I was far from impressed. I regret staying here and paying so much for an average experience. We started our trip on the Big Island and stayed at the Fairmont (which was AMAZING!). For how much the St. Regis charges, I expected better service. The Makana Terrace was awful for dinner. The plate was so scorching hot the food runner had to bring it out with an oven mitt. This type of restaurant shouldn't even have heat lamps to put food under. Unacceptable. Our server was nonexistent. The manager was nice, but the fact that he had to check on us that much because our server was off somewhere was not a great sign. Our filet was well done instead of medium rare and lobster was so over cooked I have to carve through it with a steak knife. We didn't complain because there was no one to even complain to. 30 minutes after our arrival, Joan Rivers came in for dinner and had 5+ servers for her party of 8. I completely understand wanting to ensure that she gets amazing service, but you shouldn't disregard your other guests that are spending $800+ a night and over $200 for dinner. On a more positive note, the bell staff was very pleasant and the views were great. You can tell it was recently renovated. I would definitely stay somewhere else on my next visit. Plus, Princeville is extremely secluded. If you want to do anything outside of Princeville or Hanalei, everything is an hour or more away, which was kind of annoying.

Room Tip: Most rooms are very far away from the lobby. You have to take at least 2 elevators. This could be ve...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Candice N
Aloha Candice 608,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your most recent stay. We apologize that your stay was anything less than exceptional and I have shared your feedback with our Executive Management. We take all reviews very seriously and have address our Management and staff regarding your experience at the Makana Terrace Restaurant.Clearly from the details you have provided we fell below our standards and we hope you will allow us another opportunity to demonstrate our signature hospitality for which the St. Regis brand is known for.

With warmest aloha,
Also consider these accommodations in or near Princeville
Kauai Beach Resort
#4 of 11 in Lihue
Koloa
Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa
Koloa
Koa Kea Hotel & Resort

Been to St. Regis Princeville Resort? Share your experiences!