“Superb Property; Superb Service; Great People (Poor Restaurant)”

St. Regis Princeville Resort
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Princeville
Los Angeles
“Superb Property; Superb Service; Great People (Poor Restaurant)”
Reviewed February 12, 2013

We so enjoyed this property that we stayed there twice in one year. The view of Bali Hai and the the welcoming folks at every part of the hotel are simply superb. It is really a bargain to use Starpoints for the experience that you get. We were greeted almost always by name. We stayed over Christmas this last time and the hotel was beautiful and had many holiday activities. The room was marvelous as was the maid service. The only issue was consistently poor service for breakfast at the Makana Terrance day after day, without fail... that is something that needs to be improved upon. If you have a car, take the drive beyond Hanalei for dinner to the Mediterranean Gourmet restaurant and arrive there just before sunset... what a true treat.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank DrSteve818
St Regis Prince... M, Public Relations Manager at St. Regis Princeville Resort, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Aloha Dr Steve818,

Mahalo for taking the time to write a review about your most recent stay at our Resort. We truly value our SPG Members and are pleased to hear you were able to visit us twice in one year. Our exquisite atmopshere and uncompromising service makes us a truly a unique destination. I have shared your feedback about Makana Terrace with our Executive Management, bringing this detail to our attention allows us to improve. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back for many years to come.

With warmest aloha,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (808)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed February 10, 2013

What a perfect place to spend our two week honeymoon. The view from the St. Regis is spectacular. The staff (big THANK YOU to Noah, Kaipo, Josh, Scott, Mark and bartender Mike) made us feel like family. The wonderful service, friendly smiles and attention to details the staff provided each day made us feel we were special people on a special island in a special place!!!!
We were on the 9th floor with a view from a post card. Even the bathroom has an incredible ocean view! We had great personalized butler service, room service and coffee each day. St. Regis Princeville has mastered “personalized” service for their guests!
The beach was beautifully maintained, chairs and umbrellas provided each day, and snorkeling within steps. The pool overlooks the beautiful mountains and ocean, great drinks from the pool bar and friendly pool side (and beach) service! The property is so well maintained and picture perfect!

Room Tip: The 9th floor is a great spot. Close to dining and valet parking. The bar is within steps of the f...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Indiana
Reviewed February 10, 2013

We had eaten dinner at this property years ago(before it was a St Regis) on our honeymoon and due to its stunning setting we have always wanted to return and stay here. We have travelled extensively and this is the only other chain we've experienced whose service is on par with Four Seasons. When we arrived with our 2 kids we were greeted with chilled bottled water and walked to check-in where you sit in comfortable chairs while you are registered(no standing in any lines when we were there). We were pleased to learn we had been upgraded to ocean view rooms. Our rooms had stunning views of the north shore(where South Pacific was filmed). Windows open with screens so you can hear the ocean at night if you wish. While we were travelling as a family this would be the perfect honeymoon destination-stunningly beautiful scenery, luxurious surroundings and unsurpassed service. Only minor complaint is that pool was a little chilly. They do have some activities for kids by the pool such as making leis(with fresh flowers-my girls loved that). Also, since flights returning to the mainland typically leave at night it is nice that they will allow you to use the spa facilities at no charge(based on availability but wouldn't think that would be a problem most of the time since typically late afternoon/early evening) to shower and change before you head to the airport(unfortunately they don't allow anyone under 18 in the spa area). Also,keep in mind that the north shore of Kauai is typically rainier and water rougher in the winter than on the south side of the island. I would recommend dividing your time between the two.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank IndianaTravelmom
Aloha IndianaTravelMom,

Thank you for taking the time to share feedback about your most recent stay at the St. Regis Princeville Resort. Memorable experiences are what we hold close to us throughout our lives and capturing family moments are event more priceless. We are pleased to hear that you were able to enjoy your Resort with your entire Ohana. I have shared your comments about the Pool so that we may better serve our customers in the future. It would be our pleasure to welcome you and your family back for many years to come.

With warmest aloha,
Minneapolis, Mn
Reviewed February 9, 2013

From the moment we arrived on property we felt pampered. The entrance is stunning, the staff -- from the valets to concierge to the housekeepers -- are friendly and helpful, and the location is beautiful. We were upgraded to a mountain view room with a private lanai. The room was large, as was the bathroom. The bed was comfortable and the turndown service was a great touch. The pool and beach were great -- nice bar service, warm pool, plenty of chairs and towel service. The spa was excellent. Overall it seems more geared toward adults, but I did see a few children (and they have a small room for kids to play).

The location is nice for the north shore -- kind of in the middle of things. Nice outdoor running paths, between little restaurants in Kilauea and Hanalei, and stunning views.

I don't know that I will ever be able to stay at a "regular" hotel or resort again! This was a fantastic four nights. I highly recommend a stay here.

Room Tip: Most ocean view rooms do not have a terrace, but the terrace rooms have nice views too. We stayed in...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TMinTC
San Francisco, California
Reviewed February 6, 2013

We spent 6 nights here for my birthday and really loved the property. I think part of that was that we got a great deal as a travel agent, but we were also able to use our Platinum Status suite upgrades, so we had a wonderful, spacious room was a lovely view. I'm not sure if we would have been as enthusiastic if we were in a standard room paying top dollar (we never even saw the standard room).

Service was excellent everywhere we went - we spent a lot of time at the pool/beach area and whether it was getting chairs set up, fresh towels, drinks/food ordered or at the bar, it was consistently good. Same with the other areas of the hotel, the restaurants and the valet. The valet could take some time to get your car, so we started calling ahead and that helped. They were always so friendly though and had the car ready with waters and towels if we needed them. The areas where service was a bit lacking were at the Kauai Grill, surprisingly, service was just okay and the food made us sick (separate review for that place) and the concierge. I spoke to the concierge twice, once to move our dinner reservation at Kauai Grill, which they were able to do, but we were at a poor table with no view. We were there for my birthday and had made the reservation far in advance so that was disappointing. The other time I called b/c my husband was going scuba diving in the south shore, something the hotel had set up for him, and I went along with him but was hoping to be able to sit at the pool at the Sheraton Poipu while he was diving. Despite being Platinum, the hotel gave me a hard time, so I called the St Regis, hoping they could remedy the situation. They said they'd have to have their manager deal with it and they'd call me back -- I never got a call back. Very disappointing for a hotel of this level.

Food-wise, we had room service for breakfast one morning and got the breakfast buffet 2 other mornings. The food was always good and while pricy, the buffet had tons of options, very fresh, good quality so we felt it was worth it, plus it got you through to just needing an afternoon snack before dinner. We weren't happy with Kauai Grill. The other food we had by the pool was always fine. Drinks are definitely expensive, but that's to be expected at a place like this. We did like that there was an empty fridge in the room, so highly recommend getting your own OJ for the morning, beers, bottled water, etc. There was no mini-bar which was okay b/c we were prepared, but I could see others wanting.

My husband and I both got spa treatments and were happy with them. It was a professional experience and again, while expensive, we felt it was worth it.

We liked the ceremony they do at sunset with the man blowing the seashell. It was a lovely environment and a good taste of the culture without it seeming too fake.

The room itself was great, huge bathroom with double sinks, soaking tub with shower over it, plenty of racks to hang wet swimsuits, really it had everything we needed. There was plenty of closet space, the bed was really comfy and it was nice that the TV could be up or down. There was also a large sitting area with another TV and plenty of storage to unpack your bags, store snacks, etc. We had a really lovely view as well. There were a few times where we were gone all day and got back and the room still hadn't been cleaned, but when we called, they took care of it immediately. Same with turndown service. Usually it was timed well, but some nights we were already back in the room. It sounds crazy to say this while in Hawaii, but the TV channel selection was the best I've seen at any hotel. While I'm definitely not in the room watching TV all day, there's definitely that down time when it's already dark out, but you have a few hours until dinner, where relaxing with the TV on is nice, and there was always plenty to choose from.

As far as the grounds go, I was sort of surprised that there is only one pool and it's really not that big, for such a large, luxurious hotel. With that said, we didn't have any problems with noisy kids and there were always plenty of lounge chairs to choose from - definitely no rush to get down to throw a towel on a chair at the crack of dawn like other hotels. We also didn't have any issue with people coming over from the Westin, which I was a bit concerned about based on other reviews. No one seemed to be out of place, bringing a cooler of drinks or anything like that. My husband was able to try paddle boarding right in front of the hotel, and we did go snorkeling once or twice, although it's really not that great there, and pretty shallow.

We liked being on this side of the island - while it is sort of a pain to get your car from the valet for every outing, we found that there were plenty of dining options within a 10-minute drive. There's also a lot to do during the day with hiking, great beaches, or just a beautiful drive further north.

I guess I can sort of agree that for a St Regis, perhaps I would expect a bit more luxury, but in all honestly, we felt that it was great value because of the deal we got and the suite upgrade. That in combination with the excellent service, really turned this into an awesome vacation for us, so I'm confident giving it the full 5 stars. If I was paying top dollar or website rates for the suite, it may be a slightly different story. We'd definitely love to go back, especially with a similar deal.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank laurengucsb
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed February 5, 2013

This place feels like paradise. The rooms are lovely and the views are breathtaking. You definitely need a car to get around, but the hotel is in close proximity to so much that is worth driving to see. The hiking is superb, I loved the shave ice vendors nearby and the small restaurants, and the golf was fantastic. If you golf, make sure to play the course while you're there. Another highlight was the wonderful breakfast every morning on the balcony. We started the day bright and early with that amazing view and a sumptuous breakfast, and it would hold us until an early dinner with just a snack in between. The only downside is that it was next to impossible to reach hotel staff on the phone. When staff are with someone in person, they don't answer, so the concierge is tough to reach. But who cares? By the way, we did the helicopter tour at the concierge's suggestion and it was the highlight of the trip - we still watch the video.

Room Tip: Get an ocean view - it's worth it!!!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Orange, California
Reviewed February 3, 2013

The location makes this resort extremely attractive. This was my first time back since the 'remodel' in 2008/2009. I was very disappointed or maybe expecting more from a St. Regis and the large wallets. They truly need to have HGTV come in and make it the Hawaiian paradise this location deserves. I looked around and realized the design of this hotel almost insults the traditional Hawaiian culture. Where is the fire, water, earth design? You can have this and luxury too.
Then I realized the typical guest who is accustomed to St Regis accommodations and price really doesn't care to embrace the true essence of its location. Luxury at a cost; or maybe gross opulence. I would expect this in New York, but Hawaii?
The pool remodel downgraded its appeal. Where are the waterfalls, the torches, the creative low light ground lighting (on what little there is). The pool hardscape design gets a C-
The entry is luxury and is very nice... but not very Hawaiian. Try an 'active' water feature there. So many Hawaiian Starwood properties greet you with the ocean visible from the front door... the creative design and delicate Hawaiian music brings a smile to the face and joy to the heart.
The main entry to Princeville used to have a lovely fountain... now gone and a boring piece of art stands. That was my omen.
So, if you like to through ungodly amounts of money away... stay at the St. Regis. The view will help.
If you want to feel like you are staying in Hawaii and embracing the culture... don't.
Stay at the Westin Princeville, where the rooms are newer and larger with more comfort options; then use the beach in front of the St Regis. Save a ton of money too.
The one thing that was the same amazing quality as always at Princeville / St Regis was the valet guys... warm, welcoming and friendly. Good thing since valet was the only parking option and that too was pricey.
I wish they would continue to remodel the hotel, embrace the Hawaiian tradition, and if need be then remove the St Regis overtones... Call it the Princeville Resort.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Kay Y
Also consider these accommodations in or near Princeville
Kauai Beach Resort
#4 of 11 in Lihue
Koloa
Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa
Koloa
Koa Kea Hotel & Resort

Been to St. Regis Princeville Resort? Share your experiences!