“Best Hotel -lovely pampering, stunning views”

St. Regis Princeville Resort
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Princeville
“Best Hotel -lovely pampering, stunning views”
Reviewed October 26, 2012

The staff greeted us with genuine warm hospitality and pampered us like we were celebrities. The room has excellent Kona coffee, a refrigerator, wine opener, all the conveniences. The view from our room 402 is the most beautiful I have ever seen. You the feel the beauty here. And we kicked off our honeymoon last night with an excellent dinner at The Makah Terrace, which the lobster corn bisque is a must. Reasonable prices on wine and deliciously prepared dishes for a restaurant of this caliber. We are enjoying it very much (andandante hard to please) and will certainly return as often as possible in the futur.

Room Tip: Ask for room 402, or one like it. Also the rooms on the beach, but facing out to the water, not the...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
St Regis Prince... M, Guest Relations Manager at St. Regis Princeville Resort, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
Aloha Marcihanson,

Thank you for sharing such a gracious review about your most recent stay at The St. Regis Princeville Resort. Our staff has a commitment to each and every guest to create a discreet experience of bespoke service. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed room 402 and we will share your comments with Makana Terrace as well regarding your dining experience. We look forward to welcoming you back for many years to come,

Mahalo, with warmest Aloha,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (811)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Orange County, CA
Reviewed October 25, 2012

We had reservations (for our honeymoon!) and even checked into this property...but after walking around for an hour or so we left and went back to a boutique hotel on the South shore. Here are our impressions:

- The service was very good. The valet, reception, and Starwood liason were all very nice and helpful. They upgraded us from a garden room to an ocean view room, sent over champagne and a card, and were even gracious when my husband told them we'd like to cancel our stay.
- The lobby and view of the ocean and mountains were STUNNING. I could have sat there for hours!
- The property is huge...and on a golf course. Outside, it was literally miles between the turn-off and the hotel driveway. This means that you will have to do this drive EVERY time you want to go out to dinner, surf, etc., and you have to pick up your car first at the mandatory valet. Inside, you have to take 1-2 elevators...and several long hallway walks to even get to the beach. The pool was also SUPER crowded.
- The property seems oddly decorated/maintained. Our room smelled strongly of chemicals (recent carpet cleaning?) and had a few other issues - peeling paint, shabby woodwork, broken privacy window. The pool area was messy, with towels everywhere and plastic lounge furniture. It looked like they renovated the lobby and stopped there. This was surprising, given the price point of the hotel.

While this is a nice property in many respects, it just wasn't for us. We wanted to be able to explore the area - check out the beach, local restaurants, etc. - and didn't feel that we could do that very easily here.

1 Thank octriptaker22
California Hot Springs, California
Reviewed October 24, 2012 via mobile

Excellent place to watch sunset!!!Food was good, but VERY expensive - location, location, location
Service was good and the crowd was in great spirits. Oh, and the had nice piano background music!! Must be really expensive to stay there, we just had dinner

• Stayed September 2012
St Regis Prince... M, - at St. Regis Princeville Resort, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
Aloha Brinbri,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent visit to the St. Regis Bar. The captivating scenery holds your mind at repose and allows you to enjoy every moment while at our Resort. We are glad you were able to visit us and we welcome you to stay our Resort in the near future so you may experience everything the St. Regis Princeville Resort has to offer.

Dallas, Texas
Reviewed October 23, 2012

This is a difficult review to write, as I very much wanted to like the St. Regis Princeville, and even went in with lowered expectations. Sadly, after arriving and sitting for a few hours, I distinctly had the thought that "I shouldn't have come here." Yes, the St. Regis Princeville is so disappointing that it actually made me regret spending my vacation days in Hawaii rather than elsewhere.

St. Regis is my favorite hotel brand. This was my fifth one to visit, and I love them mostly because the rooms are always beautiful.

Rooms/Grounds:
Knowing that, I can say that the rooms at the St. Regis Princeville just aren't nice enough to be called St. Regis. They aren't very nice at all, in fact. The bathroom decor smacks of what was most fashionable in the early 1990s, the carpet is drab, the furniture isn't plush, and the bed was unforgiveably bad.

I've stayed in an older St. Regis before (Houston), and they had no issues with updating their rooms to be the kind of beautiful and ornate that I expect from the brand, so these issues can't be blamed on the hotel's age.

I had hopes of being upgraded due to our SPG Platinum status, but we were told that no suites were available on any night we were there, and in fact, not even a King bed room with an unobstructed view. The 2-queen room felt pretty cramped and claustrophobic.

The grounds, too, were not clean. Outside my room I was disgusted to find cigarette butts in a little drainage gully at the bottom of the gardens, and they remained there for the entire stay. And don't even get me started on the pedestrian path that leads from near the entrance around the side of the hotel to the beach. The horror...

Food:
We made the mistake of ordering dinner to our room on the first night there, as we were tired - this was food from Makana Terrace, if the menu similarities were any indication. The food was so bad that I felt slightly ill afterward. The Siu Mai were so salty that I actually laughed, and the vegetables in the lo mein were poor quality. We did not make the mistake of dining there for lunch or dinner for the rest of our stay.

Breakfast in the room was much better, thankfully - order something with coconut syrup, you won't regret it. Service was good.

We also enjoyed the piña coladas at the pool bar.

Houskeeping:
Housekeeping did a fine job, though we only vacated the room enough to have it done once or twice during our stay. On one afternoon we left at about 3:45 and called to ask that our room be serviced. Rather than being told "yes", we were told "their service may have ended for the day." I was shocked that a supposed 5-star hotel was telling us that our room can't be serviced in the afternoon. Thankfully, it was in progress when we returned.

Location:
The drive from LIH airport was not as bad as I expected, and the convenience to Princeville Center was a huge relief when we discovered that the food at the resort wasn't going to work for us. If you're adventurous and up for it, Hideaway Beach is a very short walk from the hotel, and was very nice. The climb is a workout, though, so be ready.

Beach:
We barely used the beach while there; I book my beach vacations in October because I like a quiet beach where I can read a book in peace. This is not to be found at this hotel. We usually went to the beach at sunset, when it inexplicably cleared out, and then we would return later after 10pm when the pool torches would be extinguished, to look at the stars.

The night sky was really the most spectacular thing about this hotel. You can actually see the Milky Way quite clearly from the beach at night.

Overall Service:
Other than the housekeeping issue, and not feeling special as SPG Platinum members, most of our interactions were okay. We were given a bottle of $12 champagne for our anniversary, which was a nice gesture, and the valets were friendly. As others have said, it does not have the typical formality of a usual St. Regis, but I can live with that as long as it doesn't create service issues.

Overall I am deeply disappointed in my stay here, and will not be returning. I am looking forward to my next stay in a real St. Regis that will hopefully cleanse my palate of this distasteful experience.

5 Thank sarahjoy33
St Regis Prince... M, - at St. Regis Princeville Resort, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Aloha Sarajoy33,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us regarding your most recent stay at the St. Regis Princeville Resort. On behalf of the Resort, I apologize that we fell short of delivering that level of service that you deserve and expect from a St. Regis Hotel. We truly value or SPG Platinum members and I have informed the Front Office staff that we should be more accommodating towards our SPG members. Bringing these details to our attention allows us to improve and I have also shared your comments with Housekeeping, Engineering, our Executive Chefs and our Senior Management Staff. We truly regret to learn that your Anniversary getaway was anything less than exceptional and we hope you will change your mind and wish to visit us again. If we may be of further assistance please feel free to contact Noel d’Couto at noel.dcouto@stregis.com.

Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed October 23, 2012

Undoubtedly, St Regis Princeville is a gorgeous property. Others have weighed in on that aspect of the hotel and I don't disagree. I was, however, unhappy with the lack of first class treatment. I'm a very frequent traveler. I have elite status and I was at St Regis on my honeymoon. I used my points to book the trip. I can't help but think this impacted how I was treated. I received no upgrade at check-in. The person checking me in indicated that I received an upgrade but in fact I used extra points to stay in an ocean view room. When I booked the room, I was told there was a very good chance that we would be upgraded to a junior suite. That did not happen. Further, prior to my stay, I received an email from the “butler” asking about room preferences, food/drink preferences and where I would like to stay in hotel (did I prefer upper floor rooms? Lower level rooms, etc). I indicated in the survey that I preferred rooms on upper floors and that I was very interested in learning more about hiking in Kauai. We were booked on level 4 which was definitely not upper level (as far as I could tell it was the lowest level other than those rooms directly on the ocean which were nicer) and I didn’t receive any information about hikes. This leads me to believe that my survey was totally ignored. So don’t waste your time thinking that a “butler” will read your survey or that you will be booked according to your room preference. I was also told that as a Gold member I would be able to do a late check-out. Our flight was at 10:00 pm. Disappointed again. When I called to confirm a late check-out, I was told I needed to be out of my room by noon. We were allowed to shower in the spa “as a courtesy and free of charge.” Wow. I should think so. I was later sitting by a couple from the Westin at the pool (guests of the Westin come over in buses to use the pool/beach) and learned they were given a hospitality suite. That wasn’t offered to me. Overall, I’m disappointed in the way we were treated. The staff is very nice and accommodating around the pool area and valet. I just didn’t feel at all like an elite points member or someone on my honeymoon. There was nothing “special” about us to the St Regis even though the trip was indeed very special to us. The property is gorgeous and it’s a nice place to vacation if you manage your expectations. Mine were too high for this hotel.
*Note: I tried to post this review on the St Regis website but was blocked b/c I mentioned that they allowed Westin guests to use the pool. This is absolutely true.

Room Tip: Definitely ask for an ocean view. The rooms don't have mini bars anymore, by the way. Our room w...
1 Thank jessica m
Aloha JessicaM,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your recent stay at the St. Regis Princeville Resort. We truly value our SPG Members and are disappointed that your stay was anything less than exceptional. Bringing these details to our attention allows us to improve and I have shared your comments with the Butler Staff, Front Desk Management and our Senior Management. We hope that you will allow us another opportunity to demonstrate our signature hospitality for which the St. Brand is known. If we may be of further assistance please feel free to contact Noel d’Couto at noel.dcouto@stregis.com.

With warmest Aloha,
norfolk england
Reviewed October 19, 2012

Make your way to the balcony area which is vast , mainly covered, has pleasant seating , and overlooks the spectacular Hanalei ..its not easy to find...you need to ask, or discover it by navigating a few corridors and trip down a few floors in the elevator.
Get there for sure about 45 minutes before sunset....as it is so spectacular.... and everybody knows it !
Order a vastly overpriced cocktail, sit back, and wait....its a magical experience.
For those on a budget....see how the wealthy are accomodated...feel a wee bit jealous maybe, but join in on one of the best kept secrets of the island !
I wouldn't arrive looking too dishevelled mind you !

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank phutt
Aloha Phutt,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your visit to the St. Regis Princeville Resort. Having a captivating view of Hanalei Bay and our spectacular sunests is Mother Nature at her finest. We hope you truly enjoyed your stay at our Resort and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Mahalo, with warmest Aloha,
Waco
Reviewed October 19, 2012

So which Kauai' resort setting is best for your dream vacation? That was the answer I was out to settle. Only way I knew to settle the question was to try all three settings. First stop, the St. Regis at Princeville.

Folks, they didn't film South Pacific up here for nothing! The views and general setting are fantastic. The facility certainly does justice to its surroundings. From the grounds to the overall service, this place is absolutely First Class. So why is it that reviews can be so mixed? After staying a week on the North shore, a week on the South shore, and a week on the East shore, the answer became very apparent. It's all in what you are looking for.

Comparing the three beaches' main resorts is quite similar to comparing cruise lines. Which one most fits your lifestyle. If you are looking for a bit more formal, serene, but slower pace that offers white glove attention to detail, St' Regis is your place. I hold reservation in using the word "formal", because Hawaii and the word "formal" don't go together. Still, if you are looking for that place where you can be comfortable walking through the lobby in your bikini, with a Maui-Tan coverup, this might not be your best bet. We thoroughly enjoyed our week at this location, but if we were bringing the Grandkids to Hawaii, it might be a bit reserved.

Now I realize that this is supposed to be a review of this facility, but after visiting all three Kauai locations, the answer became quite apparent. Three very different lifestyles, with each doing an excellent job of what they are trying to accomplish.

If you are looking for a bit more "formal" (I said I wouldn't use that word) laid-back approach to Hawaii, you found it at the St. Regis. My tip would be... determine what you are looking for in a Hawaiian resort before you start picking your location. Kauai offers many. While the St Regis is wonderful for adults, if kids is a big concern, it might be a bit reserved.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Doug2492
Dear Doug2492,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your most recent visit to the St. Regis Princeville. Our staff has a commitment to each and every guest, to provide exceptional and bespoke service during your their stay. We appreciate your recognition about a serene setting and hope to welcome you back soon to our Resort.

With warmest aloha,
Also consider these accommodations in or near Princeville
Kauai Beach Resort
#4 of 11 in Lihue
Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club
Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa
Koa Kea Hotel & Resort

Been to St. Regis Princeville Resort? Share your experiences!