“Two Nights in Paradise!”

St. Regis Princeville Resort
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Princeville
Reviewed June 2, 2012

We stayed at the St. Regis Princeville for two nights in April using Starwood Points. This resort is simply amazing. We we offered an upgrade to a junior sweet prior to our arrival and the room was amazing. We had a beautiful view of the bay, sunsets and several rainbows. The staff went out of their way to be helpful. My only complaint would be that the bellman hung my carry on containing my laptop, kindle and camera on the hook on the rack of luggage and it swung off and hit the ground rather hard. My laptop now has a line down the screen when it is at a certain angle. He said "oh, sorry" when it happened. I should have known better than to hand over my carryon. All of the common areas of this resort are absolutely beautiful. We ate at the restaurant by the pool twice and were a bit disappointed. The food was just okay--for the price, you would expect it to be great. If not for these meals, I would rate this resort "Excellent".

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Hue O, Guest Relations Manager at St. Regis Princeville Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2012

Aloha TahitiZ,

Hearing feedback from loyal guests such as you is one of the many reasons our staff members are so proud to be a part of The St. Regis. We are so grateful for your feedback, and we thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I will be sure to share your comments with the culinary team. We look forward to welcoming you back to The St. Regis Princeville. Mahalo,

Write a ReviewReviews (2,884)

Reviewed June 1, 2012

The location and property views of Hanalai bay are absolutely stunning but the service and attention to details was disappointing. I've stayed at the New York and SF St. Regis on multiple occasions for business and the Princeville property was not at the same level which is a shame.

When we first arrived at the property to check-in we were told that we were upgraded (I'm SPG gold) to a room with an ocean view but the room had 2 double beds. Considering it was our honeymoon I politely said thanks but we would prefer the room that I had booked and was guaranteed that was a King bed bed with a garden view. The young girl behind the counter told us that they didn't have any rooms available with a King bed. I asked if they would have any king beds tomorrow as we would take this room for one night and then move to a room with a King bed since we were staying for 5 nights. She said she wouldn't be able to guarantee us a king bed because she didn't know who was checking out tomorrow (that's a lie) and at this point I became a bit frustrated and explained to her that we were guaranteed a King bed and this was our honeymoon. At this point she did not make eye contact with me and only spoke to my wife and offered us 1 free drink card for the inconvenience. Considering the price / night of the room one measly drink card doesn't move the needle and was rather insulting that she thought one 'free' drink would alleviate the problem. After not being able to fix the situation and we heading to our room with 2 beds she handed my ID and credit card to my wife and not me which I found to be terribly rude and unprofessional. The next morning we called to see if we could switch rooms and the receptionist said she would try to find us a room with a king bed but never returned our call either way to confirm if a room was or wasn't available with was very poor form. We ended us staying in a room with 2 double beds for our entire stay which was completely unacceptable but considering it was my honeymoon I didn't want to ruin the week for my wife so subsequently dropped the matter.

If I compare this experience to checking in at the Four Seasons in Hualalai 5 days early it was as different to night and day. At the Four Seasons we arrived around 1 pm and a room wasn't available for us at that time which I generally find very irritating but the hotel manager and not a rude 20 something personally escorted us to their restaurant and brought out a complementary bottle of Vueve Rose for us to celebrate our honeymoon and then called my cell phone and greeted us again at the restaurant when our room became available 90 minutes later. This property could learn a lot from the Four Seasons and even though the location in Hualalai isn't as breathtaking if I was going back to Hawaii I would easily choose the Four Seasons over the St. Regis every single time.

Toppy, an incredibly courteous and helpful bellman, escorted us to the room and he could not have been nicer. He provided fantastic recommendations for activities and dining locations throughout the island and very graciously offered to take a picture of us with Hanalai bay as the backdrop. Too bad the rest of the staff at the St. Regis couldn't be more like Toppy!

The next morning at breakfast we literally waited 20 minutes before a waiter came by to take our drink orders despite visiting the adjacent tables multiple times. I tried numerous times to get someone's attention but finally my wife got so frustrated she got up and brought over a pitcher of water and coffee and began to serve us. 5 minutes later a waiter finally approached us to ask for our order and never apologized for the ridiculous wait. It is one thing to have bad service at McDonalds but when breakfast costs $30+ / person for eggs it was not a great start to the morning.

We spent the day hiking and when we returned to our hotel room at 5pm our room had yet to be cleaned. I called the front desk to clean our room before we left for dinner but even when we returned to the room at 9pm the room had yet to be cleaned.

Unfortunately their were many more gaffes by the hotel staff to mention and even though the location is truly spectacular the level of service, finish of the rooms, and the quality of staff we experienced did not justify the cost of the room especially when the Four Seasons is at a comparable price point and I have never had a disappointing experience at one of their properties.

-Andrew

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
9  Thank andrew h

Aloha andrew h

Thank you for taking the time to share feedback about your most recent stay. We pride ourselves in providing a flawless experience for our guests that surpasses expectations. Clearly from the details you have provided, we fell below our standards of service, and for this we are very sorry. Your feedback will be shared with the staff to remind them of our continued efforts in being proactive and timely with all of our guest’s requests. We do appreciate your kind comments about Toppy and I will be sure to share the compliments with him. Your dissatisfaction is understood, we hope you will give us an opportunity to welcome you back the St. Regis Princeville Resort.

Reviewed June 1, 2012

We left the Grand Hyatt on the Poipu side and stayed at Princeville for another 3 days. We have a 5 year old and should have stayed at Grand Hyatt where she loved the pool and water slide. St Regis is very nice but you know those hotels where it is just too isolated and serene..nothing around it or on the premises but very expensive restaurants?That was the St Regis. Nice hotel with a nice beach and friendly service. we paid $425/night with the AAA discount. Too much money. The beds were great though1

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank liv1ers
Reviewed May 31, 2012

We stayed at the St Regis for 4 nights. The setting was absolutely breath taking. This is what people imagine Hawaii to look like. Beyond the setting of the hotel, the beautiful lobby, beautiful rooms.. We were so amazed at the service we received. The hotel was at capacity while we were there yet we were treated like we were their only guests. Top notch service. I would go back to the St Regis in Princeville in a second if I could.

Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed May 31, 2012

We arrived during the dark of night at about 10pm, and awoke to Drop Dead Gorgeous views...clearly one of the most beautiful God made places on planet earth! The rooms were great, and the people really nice. However, the food was just so so. For instance, all four of us at lunch ordered a fish sandwich. While I don't consider myself a food snob, I should have sent it back as it was bad. My post gastronomical reaction (PGR) confirmed it was bad, and this was affirmed by the other 3 people's PGR. I must say our experience at the fine dining restaurant was quite different. All in all, great place...so so food.

Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Tim C
Reviewed May 29, 2012

I won a company trip to this St. Regis in Kauai and I was expecting something over the top. When my husband and I travel we always stay in boutique places because they are more affordable so this was our chance to be spoiled in a 5 star resort. The only thing we found impressive about this resort was the lobby. Our room was ocean view. The resort does not have balconies and since Kauai is the rainiest place on earth we where stuck in our room the last 2 days watching the storm from the stuffy room. The bed is comfortable and the maid service was excellent. They come twice a day to fix up the room. The shower/bath was standard. The Westin in Princevalle has whirlpool tubs.
The pool bar is the most expensive place we have ever been for a lunch and the food was terrible! The fresh fruit place which is $20 is two pieces of pineapple and two slices of mango. I got more fruit in the drinks. Speaking of drinks for $20 we got a watered down version of all drinks. The first two I sent back because they tasted like water and obviously they skimmed on the alcohol. I saw other people sending the drinks back as well. The only decent thing to eat is the burger and the breakfast buffet. The breakfast buffet is excellent, but it is $70 for 2 people.

My company paid for our spa services and the massage and facial a received was very good. However the spa amenities where lacking. The steam room had NO steam! None! Not even a puff in it. They don't have a hot tub and the sauna was mediocre.

The resort does not offer a free shuttle to get into the town so we had to pay for taxis the whole week. We ate at the Kauai Grill restaurant in the resort the last night and we where told that anything we charged to the room my company would pick up the gratuity/tip for the service. We were able to charge the dinner to the room so we didn't include tip because they were supposed to get paid by my company and the server decided to add on his own tip. When we checked out we complained to the girl at the front desk. She gave us a hard time about taking off the $30 on a $2,000 room bill? I don't understand that at all...

Over all we were not impressed and our trip was free!! I would save your money and stay on the cheaper side of the island where the resorts are cheaper it doesn't rain all the time.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank BrookeBarbara
Reviewed May 29, 2012

A superb getaway in a not so distant isle...Kauai has a secret hide a way called the St Regis, Princeville. Ask for the suite on the 9th floor facing Hanalei Bay....the views are excelllent (especially when taking a shower)...The rooms are equipped with a glass that can be opagued with the push of a button for privacy...
Poolside bar is great for lounging by the infinity pool with bridge feature adds to ambience of the water paradise.
Scuba certification is available...Happy hour wine service is great and the food presentation is top shelf. Sunday brunch is legendary...all the seafood choices are once in a lifetime culinary delight.
You will never want to leave ! Aloha....

Room Tip: Do not miss breakfast at Pond Side Cafe