“Childless Vacation”

Westin Princeville Ocean Resort Villas
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Princeville
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed November 8, 2010

The Westin was an amazing resort! My husband and I visited for our first real vacation away from our kids (aged 2 1/2 and 14 months). We had a great time! The grounds are beautiful, the rooms are comfortable and I loved the comfortable bed! All guest service was polite and very helpful. The kitchenettes were very useful and the hotel provides barbecues located throughout the grounds that can be used on a first come first serve basis. The pools were also very warm and one has an amazing view of the ocean. My husband and I are even considering joining a time share program that the Westin offers. While I was there I looked into all the services the Westin provides and was very pleased. Next time we will take our kids and if they are still young, I know I won't have to bring a stroller or pac-n-play because they will provide it for us! I am looking forward to my next visit!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 25, 2010

My partner and I spent a week here in the beginning of October. We are owners here (yes, it's a timeshare) and this was our first trip to see the resort. We bought sight unseen, and we were very happy when we arrived. A lot of people talk about the lack of a beach as a negative, but it's a huge positive for us. There was almost zero sand in the pool. Plus, there are amazing beaches in a very short drive. Coming to this resort without a car really doesn't make sense, so you should really explore the north shore. The beaches near the resort are stunning, we absolutely loved Ke'e and Tunnels beach for snorkeling. Queen's Bath was also amazingly beautiful, but the surf was too rough for swimming.

There are 3.5 pools on the grounds, 2 are large plunge pools that are a little more secluded (one overlooks the ocean). Both of these plunge pools are really quiet, mainly people laying out reading. The large main pool has a small kid's pool right next to it, so that's how I got to 3.5 pools. The main pool was a bit busier and louder, but there was plenty of room to sit.

It seems to me that the resort clears out pretty much everyday, the parking lot is empty by mid-morning. There is just so much to do on Kauai. If you're looking for a quiet resort, this is it! We are already planning our return.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 24, 2010

We spent a week in the first part of October as a non-Westin-member package deal. We are very interested in joining Westin and were curious about the property. We have stayed in Westin in Maui (with friends) and we thought the Maui resort was better because that resort has a beach. We didn't want to wait for the shuttle to the beach (every hour on the hour) nor did we want to drive to a beach. Princeville seems to really be a golf resort with a nearby beach.

The staff is outstanding and the restaurant served wonderful meals. The bartender made one of our evenings very enjoyable with his banter. The grounds are wonderfully manicured. Our room was on the third floow and looked over the central pool area AND the industrial-sized pool pumps. They were noisy and on the first night our AC did not work and it was too noisy to keep the balcony door open. The Westin staff fixed the AC the next day but we did have to listen to it cycle all night long. The pool and barbecue areas are beautiful and there are chickens roaming everywhere. I really enjoyed the mix of ages at this resort and the children that were on site; it made for a wonderful family atmosphere.

During our time-share presentation we commented about the noise and AC problems and one of the salesmen said "what do you expect for a package-deal room?" He was making a joke - har har har. Our deal spcifically did not require a timeshare presentation but our concierge promised us that we would learn about the fabulous new things that Westin is doing and it would NOT be a sales presentation. The first hour of our presentation was very pleasant and VERY informative but before we could leave they brought in another salesman that went very old school and immediately wanted to talk deal. The love seemed to leave the room when I said "no, not interested at this time" but we survived. The experience with the first stalesman makes me interested in Westin and I learned a lot from him.

I would recommend the resort especially if you played golf. There is a lot going for this resort but if you want a beach stay at the Westin in Maui.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 18, 2010

The villas at the westin are fantastic - we used the kitchen every morning and loved the BBQ grills for making steaks at night.

If you want to walk out to the beach - try the St Regis. But we wanted to explore around Kauai every day and try different beaches and hikes so it was perfect for us.

Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 12, 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Westin this past June for 10 wonderful days. The Westin is very beautiful, quite & relaxing. We stayed in a studio which was perfect. Great view of the mountains with a waterfall in the distance, rainbows, pool & tiki lights at night! Nenes, hen's with chicks,cardinals & doves entertained us daily. Yes no direct beach access but so close to the beautiful north shore beaches. We loved the kitchenette and Foodland was just around the corner! The bed and jacuzzi tub was so nice....especially after hiking all day! Did not like having to pay $9 a day for parking...but knew we would ahead of time...so no surprises with that. The only unusual feature I thought was the Westin's loading/delivery dock and utility area are both very visible from the front entrance. No gate to hide these eye sores.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Happy2Go2AK
Reviewed October 12, 2010

I was pleasantly surprised to find our kitchen fully stocked with all the things that are typically missing in a condo setting. The rooms were spacious, very clean and well-kept. We thoroughly enjoyed using their grills by the pool to prepare our fresh fish every night. We also liked the idea of having three different pool atmospheres to appeal to a variety of travelers. The location worked well for us as we focused most of our trip away from more populated areas south of Princeville. I look forward to staying there again!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ontheroad051
Reviewed October 8, 2010

Just returned from a week at the Westin and LOVED it. We're already trying to figure out how to go back. If you're looking for a family friendly, spacious and casually elegant resort this is the place. We were in a 1 bedroom suite. The beds were HEAVENLY!, the jacuzzi tub and big shower were great, and the kitchen living space were perfect. The grounds are beautiful and immaculate. EVERY staff member was always smiling and very helpful. There are 2 smaller and 1 large swimming pool available - if you're looking for quiet, go to one of the smaller pools overlooking the cliffs and the ocean. If you want a little more activity and poolside service, head to the bigger pool. The North Shore is GORGEOUS and nicely located. No, there isn't a beach on the property, but Anini is just a short hike away or you can take the shuttle or your own vehicle a short drive away. Nanea restaurant on site is always GREAT. We just couldn't have picked a better place to go for our 25th anniversary. Simply amazing.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tammyk63
Also consider these accommodations in or near Princeville
Kauai Beach Resort
#4 of 11 in Lihue
Koloa
Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa
Koloa
Koa Kea Hotel & Resort

Been to Westin Princeville Ocean Resort Villas? Share your experiences!