“It's our 4th anniv., thanks 2 Starwood”

Westin Princeville Ocean Resort Villas
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Princeville
GreenLeadersGold level
Hawaii
“It's our 4th anniv., thanks 2 Starwood”
Reviewed September 12, 2009

The best villas ever that I had seen so far. So glad that we have the opportunity to stay in a Starwood hotel.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank matheresa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (556)
  • Korean first
Collierville, TN
Reviewed September 3, 2009

A lovely property with below average service. We arrived at 3:30 pm for a 4:00pm check in time. They held us until exactly 4:00pm for check in. During Happy Hour, my wife ordered a Margarita "with salt." She was told that a "salted glass" was not available at the the Happy Hour price and we would be charged "full price" if she wanted salt! The maid left a note on our door at about 9:00am saying that we had missed our room cleaning (We were in the room.) and to get our room cleaned we would need to make other arrangements. The maid was actually cleaning the room next door (as we were leaving and found the note) and my wife was able to cajole her into cleaning our room anyway. In the early evening, we wandered down to the restaurant for drinks and asked to sit on the lanai. We were told no, as those tables were only available to diners. We thought it odd since out of 20+ tables, only three were taken. So, we sat inside with our drinks for about 45 minutes. When we left, there were only TWO tables occupied! The property is inhabited by a large number of chickens, mostly roosters. One afternoon while sitting at the pool bar, my wife was "pecked" on the foot by a rooster. It was no big deal at all and we didn't even mention it, but a server saw my wife "jump" and claimed that the chicken could not possibly have pecked her! A few minutes later a hen jumped up on our table and the rooster jumped up on the next table so many times, the family asked for "to go" containers then took their food up to the room! We love animals, but we do not enjoy having fowl on our table. The waitress informed us that roosters were part of the "charm" of Kauai. The hotel information in our room stated that the "Clubhouse" is open for breakfast from 6:30am-10:30am. When we showed up for breakfast, the restaurant was shut tight. We learned from an employee that the Westin discontinued breakfast because it had been a buffet and they were unable to keep the chickens out of the food! It would have been nice if they had removed it from their in-room literature or told us at check-in. The hotel internet service was not set up properly and required 30 minutes including a phone call to get it working.
With an evening flight and an early checkout time (10:00am), we requested a late checkout. We were told that was not possible and even if it was possible, the rate is $50 for the first hour and $25 per hour thereafter!

Individually, these issues are all somewhat minor, but collectively, our experience rated way below the hospitality and service we normally receive from Westin.

So much for the "ugly." Our room is wonderful - very nice layout and very comfortable. We have some view of the ocean even though we're not "ocean view." The property is very beautiful with a wonderful resort "feel."

I would recommend this property only at a discounted price to those who are happy with indifferent service.

Tokyo, Japan
Reviewed September 1, 2009

Liked: Ample BBQ grilling areas and tables - being able to cook our own meals was fun and relaxing. Good location near the beaches and hiking we wanted to experience, nice pools & hot tubs spread out across the property so it was easy to find a quiet space. Particularly in the evenings, we often had the one of the smaller pool areas to ourselves (aside from a few roosters). Studio was spacious (for a couple - it might be a bit tight with children) with a large bathroom and a comfortable bed. Really liked having our own washer-dryer as well. Unlike some timeshare locations I have visited in Mexico, there was no pressure to attend a timeshare presentation, which I appreciated.

Disliked: In spite of being fairly new and spacious, the room lacked in some small details (lots of scuff marks on the walls, malfunctioning bedside clock, someone's discarded swim trunks half buried in red dirt next to the lanai) that made it feel a bit neglected. Conceirge was not very receptive when my fiance asked for assistance to book a cab to and from dinner so we could enjoy a bottle of champagne responsibly without worrying about who would drive back - rather than just booking a cab straight away, she asked why we didn't just eat at the restaurant on-site. Housekeeping called us early each morning to ask when they could clean our room, and basically chased us out one day, saying it needed to be done then or not at all, which was a bit frustrating. On the bright side, housekeeping WAS generous about replacing amenities like dish soap, laundry detergent, and coffee, so we never needed to purchase those during our stay. Be forewarned that if you do need to purchase anything for your kitchen, the market is very small and quite overpriced - you're better off going to the grocery store just down the road.

Overall, I felt the Westin was fairly standard in terms of vacation hotels. Nothing really bad about it, but nothing special or spectacular either. I would consider staying at this property again, but only if I could get a discounted rate like I did this time. If I had to pay the cost of rack rates, or even the rights offered on websites like Expedia or Orbitz, I would probably look elsewhere.

1 Thank alynn627
Tucson, AZ
Reviewed August 31, 2009

This was our first stay at the Westin Princeville Ocean Resort Villas. Six adults stayed in a 2 bedroom lockoff for one week and overall we were very pleased with our accommodations. Though I believe four people and maybe one child is the maximum without feeling crowded and losing some privacy, we managed just fine. We had an ocean view villa with easy access to the gas grills, pool, and ocean-side massage area. (Awesome massage, by the way.) The on-site market is expensive but there is an adequate grocery store within walking distance. We requested a few minor repairs be done in the bathroom, and within minutes the repairman was at our door and took care of the problems. Excellent concierge service, excellent food in the restaurants, great local entertainment and daily scheduled activities for young and old. The eclectic town of Hanalei is minutes away, not to be missed. No hot nightlife here at the villas, but the best place on earth to get away, relax and be one with the beautiful surrounding environment. I'm definitely returning!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
San Francisco
Reviewed August 30, 2009

We stayed at the Westin Princeville to try a different area. Our last trip was in the Kapaa area (Outrigger Waipouli, see other review).

Driving to Princeville to the Westin (no map) there's really no indication when to turn except a "St Regis" sign, you just sort of know you're close! You can tell this is a huge resort area with many other condos in the vicinity and well groomed landscape, go down about a 1/4 mile and you'll see the Westin sign.

We purchased this package through Costco. I missed a great deal via Starwood website but the Costco package was better with one exception. The package:
1. Studio room Pool view (includes kitchen, washer/dryer, jacuzzi tub)
2. Mid-size rental car (which I was upgraded to a full size no charge)
3. $50.00 resort credit for each night (total: $250.00)
4. This includes the taxes and resort fees

Exception is you will not receive any Starwood points when reserving from a third party, only separate charges when at the resort.

Doing my own calculation I was able to find a mid-size rental car for around $188.00 total prior to booking with Costco's package, so using that number, minus resort credit the room came to about $165 a night...and that's including tax! So $145.00 a night before tax at the Westin! Great price! Don't forget that most hotels charge hotel tax and state tax.

Check-in was smooth as can be, in fact she was going to give us a no-charge upgrade into a one-bedroom suite but in a different building (I think it was building 4), it was ground level and may be subject to some parking lot noise. I prefer the top floor and quiet so we decided to stay with the studio (which is plenty of room for two). My experience when staying in a top floor is the view and just in case the floors are thin you won't get the noise from above.

The room is well furnished, tons of towels! Separate shower/jacuzzi tub, separate toilet room, stacked washer and dryer, dishwasher, two burner stove, microwave/convection oven, refrigerator/ice maker, tiny kitchen sink with disposal, dishes, plates, pots, utensils, iron, ironing board, safe, LCD TV, free internet, little balcony. Comes with a complimentary starter amenity (coffee, laundry detergent, dishwasher detergent, tea, dish washing soap, paper towels), sofa sleeper, coffee table, small size round table, dresser, night stands, queen bed, ceiling fan.

So, I thought it was going to be quiet. Our room was in building 5 and overlooked the main swimming pool also right above the BBQ grills (many grills all around). There's always a nice breeze in Kauai and it's nice to open the sliding door to the balcony versus using the A/C all the time (that's another quirk), now you'll notice the screaming kids in the pool area and I mean screaming...wow! You would think parents would remind them they're not the only guest in the pool area to perhaps tone it down? It's okay to have fun but it was the type of screaming fun that was out of control. And there's a sign in the pool area, rules, something about not disturbing others...so much for that rule! But never fear there are other pools, quiet pools more for adults. The noise will go on until around 8pm, it's a good thing we're out during the day, but I must say once you close the patio door it really shuts out the noise. Something else was really strange, for two nights in a row around 10pm some clown was cleaning or doing something with the BBQ grills and talk about noise, crash, slam, clonk, what the??!! Again maybe people just don't have a clue...close the patio door and all quiet again.

Air conditioning, unless you're a heavy sleeper the fan will kick on and it's only one speed...HIGH! The first night I set the temp at 73. I could not tell you how many times that AC kicked on and off, I swear the compressor was in your room..."whoomp!" This is where opening the patio door comes in, nice breeze, ceiling fan on and to us it was perfect, no kids screaming past 8 or 9pm and until 9am. But, at 7am the roosters will wake you up. In case you didn't know Kauai is full of loose chickens and roosters...sort of funny until they wake you up! Arrgh!!

I have traveled to Hawaii probably over 50 trips, I do notice a difference when dealing between hired locals and non-locals. The only negative comment I have was the concierge service. When I approached them (I was the only guest there) it felt like I was bothering them, but they were just sitting there...go figure! I got the plastic smile treatment...ughh! But deep inside you can tell it was not sincere. I redeemed a card they sent me for a welcome gift and also another card to check if I was an instant prize winner, after doing something to her computer she just got up from her station and left, she mumbled something about I'll be right back, no explanation whatsoever. A minute later she came back with a box of "Kauai Kookies" as a gift (btw, great cookies!), that was nice and she sat back at her desk not really looking at us as if we should leave and be thankful we got a box of cookies. I asked if we won anything with the card, her reply "no". That was strange for a "Concierge" at the Westin. Maybe she was having a bad day. Another day (different Concierge person) I asked about "rice plates" where can I find the little shop the locals go to get rice plates? To my surprise they're not sure what I'm talking about...again non-local. When in Hawaii, it doesn't matter which island, there's always a bunch of little kitchens someplace selling rice places at a cheap price, it's great when you're out snorkeling and want something different versus hamburger, how about a mahi-mahi plate lunch? Sounds great doesn't it! (Not that anything is wrong with a burger).

Here's some tips:
If it's cloudy or rainy in the Princeville area, drive down to Kaapa or Poipu area which is usually sunny about 30 to 45 minutes respectively. And there's a killer little shop that makes rice plates in Koloa town (right after the tunnel of trees), I ordered the beef teriyaki plate. Price: cheap! Taste: awesome! And as usual a stream of locals placing orders and a few tourist that just happened to be around the corner to see it.

Looking for a health food store (sorry, no Whole Foods yet), check out Papaya's Natural Food Store in Kaapa and in Hanalei (though the Hanalei store is smaller)

If you can remember to show a little courtesy to let someone merge in or turn in or out it really helps, the locals always do that so reply in kind...the main road is only one lane each way.

Snorkeling, stop by ABC Store to pickup fish food, the fishes will love you! I'd tell you where to get a much bigger bag for less but it's not exactly marked like the ABC Store's fish food.

And last, take your time and enjoy...things do pace a little slower.

Mahalo!

Seattle
Reviewed August 25, 2009

For our third visit to the North Shore of Kauai, my husband and I chose the newly opened Westin Ocean Resort Villas in Princeville. Built in the Hawaiian plantation style, the resort consists of several low-rise buildings, four pools, a pool-side restaurant, and a clubhouse, perched on an ocean bluff. The grounds are beautifully landscaped, and will only become more lush as the tropical plantings mature.

We stayed in a one-bedroom, which was on the small side. The kitchen could be better described as a kitchenette, and was not a big as the bathroom. Gas grills are provided on patios, but you have to pack all the fixings to the patio, or rush the cooked meat back to the room.

We mainly liked the location as a home base as we explored the most beautiful island on the planet. For this week-long trip, our best friends joined us, but didn't stay at the Westin. They instead found a two-bedroom vacation rental at the Puamana Condos, right next door to the Westin entrance. It was three times as large as our unit, at about one third the rate, and was beautifully furnished. They found it at www.vacationrentalkauaihawaii.com.

We weren't turned off by children in the pool, as others have mentioned in their reviews. No doubt, school holiday times will be worse. Only a few units have an ocean view, even though the complex is ocean-front (and about 175 feet in elevation). The vegetation on the cliffs blocks some views, and must be on Princeville property, or else it would have been trimmed back.

We moderately recommend this resort, but found it to be a bit pricey for its features.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed August 18, 2009

My bf and I stayed at the Westin for 3 nights. I used my SPG points for our room and got upgraded to a 1-bedroom from a studio. Our suite is nicely decorated and clean. We loved the kitchen and the grills by the pool. Staffs were all very friendly and nice.

The only bad thing about this place is that it's not by the beach. But...the pool is quite nice.

1 Thank uptown_girlNY
Also consider these accommodations in or near Princeville
Kauai Beach Resort
#4 of 11 in Lihue
Koloa
Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa
Hanalei Bay Resort
#2 of 4 in Princeville

Been to Westin Princeville Ocean Resort Villas? Share your experiences!