“Awesome”

GreenLeadersGold level
San Francisco, California
“Awesome”
Reviewed June 11, 2009

We stayed for 5 nights. They upgraded us for free to a 1 bedroom suite. The suites were beautiful - kitchen was clean and had everything we could have wanted - full fridge is great so you can eat breakfast in and make your lunch if you want. We really liked the location - it was close to all of the activities we did on the North Shore. We also found a path to walk down to Anini Beach. We could see a glimpse of the water from our room and also the mountains. Service was good and we liked the market for morning coffee and tea. Breakfast in the restaurant was just okay. Front Desk Staff gets an A+ - great service. We liked the pools and grills, but there were more kids around than we expected, although they did seem to stick to the kid's pool. The gym is really nice w/ great views. All Westins have comfortable beds. We thought this was a great value too. The only negative was that it was often difficult to find parking close to our room, but we always found a spot in a lot further away. We will return.

1 Thank Lars7777

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (580)
  • Korean first
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed June 11, 2009

I also stayed at the westin as a result of the 6 day 5 night intro offer that came in the mail. I already own a timeshare in Princeville and have been to the area and the island many times in the past, so I knew what I was getting into and where I was staying before I got here.

The intro package puts you in a studio, basically a hotel room with a kitchenette and a washer dryer. Clean and neat, pool view, a bit cramped for 2 for the week, and definitely not for more than two. We were assigned the 'ADA' room which had no shower, but instead...a tub. We were comped free breakfast for our stay, which we thought was going to cut it, but after attempting to wash off sand from the beach and mud from the hikes in our tub, we asked for a new room. (As a healthcare practioner, I'm pretty sure that the tub in the room was not actually ADA compliant, at least not by any place I'm familiar with..no lift bars, no removable shower head etc.)

We were moved to one of the 1 BR timeshare units, a MAJOR improvement and would be well worth the extra money over the studio units. Much bigger kitchen, great shower, nice living area, lanai, etc. Better amenities in the kitchen (e.g. a blender). Would stay in this unit again, but not the studio unit.

So I was offered to attend the timeshare presentation at the beginning of my stay...and declined. The cardinal rule of timeshare purchasing is to buy them USED, instead of paying a commission to the salesperson. This is not a lecture on how to buy a timeshare, but suffice it to say that I spoke with a number of owners in the pool area and I felt that they grossly overpaid for their units on the first pass.

This resort is still working out the bugs in the system, and for this reason, I am not interested in buying a week of timeshare here.

Here are my suggestions: this is a great place to stay with family or friends. It is not a party place (kauai shuts down by 10-11 PM.) If you're here for a week (likely), do a bunch of food shopping in Kapaa or Princeville and eat in. They have fantastic grills here dotted all over the property. I bring spices, foil, and baggies from home. Eat an occasional meal out. The property supplies towels, so get out to the beach. There is a beach access path next to the hotel down a hill. Get some exercise on vacation and schlep it. What makes kauai wonderful is the fact that all the beaches are not populated with the disney crowd *mental image here*. If the beach were easy to get to, it would be crowded. Hanalei is a wonderful beach if you have issues with mobility; however, and only a slight drive from the resort.

We ate breakfast at the resort; and it was expensive, but great fresh fruit, including two types of papaya. The pools are good. Poolside service was something to be desired at the peripheral pools. The towel people are genuine and nice. The pool bartender was a little smarmy. Happy hour 3-5 PM $5 select cocktails. Free self-parking, and free wi-fi. each room woith a Bose stereo which belted out great sound. We brought an ipod,(acutally, we brought three) with a monster "line in" connector, so we could listen to it both in the room and in the car. Local radio leaves much to be desired, and no satellite radio here. Another option: XM streaming on the laptop connected to the Bose with the line...great music at all times...makes the trip. We didn't turn on the TV once.

The gym...used it twice. Actually adequate for what you need. we used our comp certificates at the princeville spa down the road...don't bother. The massage was great, but the facilities are dated (pink/green/grey tile with a REAL need for grout disinfectant) and stuffy waiting rooms. part of the gold course was under renovation at the time of our visit, but part open.

I have a timeshare down the road that I paid about 1/20th on the after market for what I would pay to purchase a new share of a comparable unit at the westin. Not worth it for that. Not a bad place, but check VBRO.com before you spend a lot of money here.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank silvergirl70
los angeles
Reviewed June 7, 2009

I own a Starwood timeshare in Maui which I have enjoyed the last few years- decided to trade for this "new" resort- extremely busy with everyone going on the "special" deal to get people there- so, might be a good deal for them- not for others. They built the resort so the buildings face each other- not the water? You have a slight ocean view from the balcony- but you also stare directly in someelses unit? CHICKENS- won't even go there-
good grief- also, we were in a studio unit- very nice- clean- however, we heard everything when the people next door were in their kitchen- EVERYTHING! No beach unless you hike down a steep hillside- however, when you get there- the beach is lovely.
Just wasn't what I had hoped for and certainly wasn't relaxing- unfortunately, the north shore is rather quiet anyway, so you end up spending time at the resort- which just wasn't very enjoyable.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
5 Thank minimikey
North America
Reviewed June 4, 2009

We booked the Westin as my husband needs good air conditioning for sleeping in a tropical climate, and it turned out to be an excellent choice as Kauai was going through a heat wave with very little trade winds while we stayed there. We managed to get a AAA discount, and we went for the one bedrooom. If you're very active and never in your room and there's two of you, the studio is probably adequate, However, the one bedroom is the way to go if you want to spend some time chilling and getting over jet lag as you can spread out and enjoy the views from your lanai.

About a week before we left home we got a very nice letter telling us we had received a "special gift" and we needed to go claim it (as mentioned by the previous poster) from the concierge upon check-in. Uhhhhh.... Hello!! How do you spell "t i m e s h a r e"??? I strongly feel the management should rethink this as this struck me as quite tacky, and not befitting of the class the Westin is in. Our gift turned out to be a package of vintage post cards of Hawaii -- very nice by the way -- but it would have been more classier to have that in the room with a letter of greeting and and an invitation to meet with the concierge if one was interested in a timeshare or, as the concierge we talked to said "Oh, it's not called timeshare anymore, but fractional ownership" The concierge we dealt with though, was very accomodating and helpful, and did bring up the "fractional ownership" presentation, but in a polite and low-pressure manner.

Upon check-in, we arrived at 2:30 pm. The front desk person was very sniffy and made sure she mentioned SEVERAL times that "check-in is at 4:00 pm". I almost felt like saying "Yeah, we got it the first time" but restrained myself. It seemed upon check-in as soon as she learned that we were not a time-share ....errr "fractional ownership" owner, her attitude changed completely and she became very sniffy and pretentious. However, we were upgraded from a garden view one bedroom to a partial oceanview/mountainview one bedroom and we were extremely pleased with the view from our lanai, with a clear view of "Bali Hai". The grounds are very attractive, and we were suprised to learn that the hotel was one year old. It will be utterly gorgeous in a few years when the landscaping fills in. Either way, you can't go wrong with a garden view as the grounds are very pretty. We were in Building 6 and facing an area that looked like it was preparing to be landscaped or something. I never did find out what was happening over there, but I would think twice about the mountain side of building 6, because I suspect it could be very noisy with graders and such. Luckily, nothing happened when we were there. The pools are beautiful and well-maintained, but sadly, are mostly 3 feet deep, with some small areas in the pool being about 4 feet. Disappointing, but we often went to the pool in the late afternoon and hardly anyone was there, so we were able to hang out in the 4 feet deep areas without feeling crowded. There are also some small infinity plunge pools located on the property as well, so even during the busy Memorial Day weekend, we never felt crowded.

The suite was beautifully decorated, with a huge bathroom the same size as the bedroom, with dual sinks. Towels were thick and fluffy and the bed was excellent. The amenities are Westin "White Aloe Green Tea" -- the scent is so pretty that I saved some to take home. What we loved about the shower was the dual shower head. Amazing after a long day hiking! There is a small washer and dryer located by your room door and though could only do small loads, came in very handy. Bring detergent and dryer sheets with you as the hotel gives you only one small box of Tide for one load to start you off with.

The full kitchen is also beautiful, but beware of the "oven". It really is a glorified microwave and sorta "bakes" but doesn't. One suggestion I have is to have instructions for the microwave/oven laminated or something in a binder as all staff seemed clueless as to how it operated if you wanted to "bake". Also, if you're short (I'm 5'2") the microwave is totally out of reach as it's high above the stove and I had to stand on a chair to do anything with it. The full fridge (with icemaker!) was great and operated well. There are numerous grilling areas on the grounds, each area is supplied with high-end gas Weber barbeques, but no racks. You have your own personal rack is in each room, stored beneath the sink, and you also get full range of bbq utensils. Count on either boiling, microwaving or grilling food when you're here. Also, what I suggest is making a pit stop at Costco -- if you don't have a membership, beg, borrow or steal one -- after you arrive. By far, they have the best quality food and prices on the Island. The Foodland is ok in Princeville, but the Costco is much better for quality and selection plus good prices. A blender is also in your kitchen, which was great for mixing up our own tropical libations.

We ate at Nanea three times (once for breakfast) and can honestly say the food is very good -- we have eaten at very high-end places in NYC and San Francisco and are consummate foodies, and were quite pleasantly suprised by Nanea. The service was uneven though, as at breakfast our waitress literally disappeared and we had to settle our bill with the manager. Our last night we ate at Nanea for dinner and our waiter disappeared -- another waiter took over. We said "Oh, Michael must be very busy" "No, " the waiter replied, "he's just slow". Our fave dish was the sous vide pink snapper (Opakapaka) with Chinese Lop Cheng sausage, shitaki mushrooms, black beans and rice. Highly recommended.

All, in all, the Westin is a great property and we would stay again. The staff overall are very pleasant and helpful, and professional, plus the hotel has free Wifi throught the propery. We also had some maintenance issues plus other requests, and the front desk always follows up to make sure the end result was satisfactory. It's very rare that this happens out in the hotel world. Just a heads up, housekeeping is done anywhere from 8 - 4 pm, and sometimes they're on island time. We had to call a couple of times to get our room made up, but it was no big deal. This is the perfect place to stay if you don't want to put down the big bucks for the St. Regis, down the road, which will be opening up this fall.

9 Thank Lady_World_Traveller
Hilton Head, South Carolina
Reviewed June 2, 2009

This resort just marked its one year anniversary and still feels brand new. We visited as a result of a promotional offer which offered five nights for $798 (in addition to some resort credit and discounted Avis rental car), but I do not know what the usual rates are. Our package provided one of the studio rooms. Upon check-in, we were shuttled to one of the "concierges" in the Welcome Center, where we were told we would receive a wonderful surprise. I assumed there would be a welcome gift or something similar. No surprise or gift, instead we received an overly-enthusiastic pitch to attend a 90-minute time-share presentation in exchange for $75 in resort credit. We declined--several times. We were also urged to upgrade to one of the one-bedroom suites for an additional $500, which we declined, because it felt a bit high-pressure and we were already feeling uncomfortable with the approach (although if handled differently, I think we would have appreciated the larger space). Later we met people who were spontaneously offered a complimentary upgrade on check-in, but perhaps they were not there on the same discounted package as we were. The "welcome experience" was a somewhat jarring introduction to this resort, which does have its good points.

Our room was perfectly nice and comfortable, with tasteful decor. It was not really any bigger than a typical hotel room, due to the way it was configured, but there was a sofa and a small table with two chairs. Although it had a little galley kitchen space, we barely used it, since it would have been a bit claustrophobic to prepare meals in the room. We appreciated the washer/dryer. We were on the first floor, and could not really use the outdoor patio because it was tiny and also because of the chickens roaming the grounds. An upper floor room with balcony might have made the outdoors more accessible.

The property contains several buildings with varying views. Ours faced another building across the main lawn. The buildings have a bit of a "barracks-like" appearance, but everything is very clean, the housekeeping service was very good, and all of the staff seemed efficient and eager to please. We were close to the ocean, but it was not visible from the first floor room. It was not a problem, because we did not really intend to spend a lot of time in the room. There is a perfectly good trail to Anini Beach down the bluff--it is just a 10 minute walk but is a pretty steep hill. The small beach is attractive, but not very swimmable because it is so shallow and with a very rocky bottom. Those wanting to spend the day at the beach would need to go to Hanalei or one of the larger beach areas.

The pool area is attractive, and there is bar service at the pool. We ate several meals at the restaurant, Nanea. The food was okay, though unremarkable and (as several other readers have mentioned), caused us to comment on the price of food on Kauai. We had better meals at Hanalei Gourmet, the Lighthouse Bistro, Bar Acuda and Dolphin, but truthfully, no great meals on Kauai. The concierges in the front lobby (not the Welcome Center) were all very friendly and helpful when I sought advice. Connie Taylor was particularly efficient. There is a business center, where I hoped to use the computer for a while to check some work e-mails, but they charge almost $6 for 15 minutes of internet usage, other than printing out boarding passes. So, I passed on that. We did not participate in any of the resort-sponsored activities.

The Princeville/Hanalei area grew on me during our visit, however, and I would be interested in returning someday, but would prefer to rent a condo or house. The weather during our visit was mostly good, with a few spritzes of rain. We had sunshine during our helicopter tour (Sunshine Helicopters, from the Princeville Airport), which was beautiful. The views toward the mountains are spectacular, and I believe there are some intriguing hidden tropical paradise properties to discover in and past Hanalei. We played golf at the Prince Course, which was challenging and full of exhilarating elevation changes. It offers very reasonable multiple play discounts for such a famous course, and is in excellent condition. Although the Westin does not seem to publicize it, its guests are welcome to use the very nice workout facility and spa at the golf clubhouse. There is also a very nice golf shop at the clubhouse, but the Princeville bar and restaurant are strangely cavernous and apparently unused, for the most part.

In the end, we had a very nice time, but it was not primarily because we loved the Westin. It would probably be a very good place for a family with children because of the pool and activities, but I did not find it to be romantic or particularly appealing for couples, particularly those who travel a lot and have experienced higher-end hotels.

5 Thank chicagotraveler312
Bay Area
Reviewed June 2, 2009

The hotel grounds are very beautiful and well-maintained. But there are really no beach views or a real beach.
Concierges are more like timeshare sales people.
The staff is friendly. Some are very knowledgable and helpful; others are neither.
The Nanea Restaurant is sensational.
The adjoining golf course was underwhelming for all the hype.
Would not stay here again; would go to Poipu instead.
Some of the clientele were arrogant, rude, and inconsiderate e.g., practicing with your golf clubs on hotel property grounds.

5 Thank Rosquete
Laguna Hills, Ca.
Reviewed May 25, 2009

We exchanged our week at the Westin Maui for a weeks stay at this new resort. I have read conflicted reviews about this resort and wanted to see this place for myself. We were pleasantly surprised to see how wonderful this resort is. The valet is free for the first night which makes check in easier. Our room was not ready as we arrived early. The bellman checked our bags and we went down to the bar for a bite to eat and a drink. The food at the bar was actually really good. The drinks were pricey but good. We were called when our room was ready and check in was fast and friendly.
We were in a two bedroom lockoff. My wife and I were in the one bedroom premium and my mom was in the studio. We were in building seven on the second floor with a great view of the grounds and the ocean. Yes, the ocean. Most people comment that there are very limited views of the ocean but we actually had a great view.
I was concerned about the weather in Princeville but we had great weather for most of the days here. There were only a couple of days that were cloudy with rain in the morning. We couldn’t have picked a more perfect time of year.
The rooms were great as usual, with lots of space. They were very clean and neat. We had some minor issues, which were taken care of immediately. The staff even called to make sure everything was taken care of to our satisfaction.
My only complaint would be the food at the main restaurant.
Breakfast was good but the food at dinner was just ok and the prices were outrageous for what you get. There are plenty of other places around that are much better and cheaper. The Dolphin was great for fresh fish and the Lighthouse Bistro was our favorite, we even ate there twice during our weeks stay. After dinner, don’t miss the ice cream at Kilauea Video and Ice Cream.
I noticed a lot of people complain that there is no beach at this resort. Even though it is true, most resorts do not have a beach on this side of the island. I don’t think it matters much as most people take their families out for the day to one of the many beaches around the island. This is a much better way to see the island than staying at the resort.
It is true that a lot of the activities are on the other side of the island and we did make several trips ourselves. I would recommend that you make a day of it and explore the island.
This resort is great if you plan on just relaxing and taking it easy or exploring the Napili Coast. It is great for families that love going to various beaches or exploring the island. If I even return, I will return to this resort.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
3 Thank CFNOBIS
Also consider these accommodations in or near Princeville
Kauai Beach Resort
#4 of 11 in Lihue
Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club
Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa
Koa Kea Hotel & Resort

Been to Westin Princeville Ocean Resort Villas? Share your experiences!