“Truly nice resort !!!”

GreenLeadersGold level
Wisconsin
“Truly nice resort !!!”
Reviewed April 2, 2009

I would have to agree that if you didn't like this resort , not much will please you. I travel quite a bit for business and pleasure and I like nice accommodations. I think my reviews are fairly accurate and can assure you that others who have made positive comments regarding this resort were spot on. We originally were only intending to stay one night on the north shore, checked out and explored, enjoyed the area and resort so much, we checked back in for two more nights. While many of the rooms face into the main pool area (and provide a nice ambiance at night with the tiki lights) quite a few are away from the pool area, are quieter and have some nice ocean views. They do offer some room location options at check in and show you on a map where they are. We had studio suites....nice bathrooms and huge showers, very adequate and well appointed kitchenette area, washer and dryer, just a very nice room for two people. Best of all this resort is almost brand new and that is certainly the best time to visit any hotel. They do a great job of maintaining the common areas and in fact were scrubbing the sidewalks one afternoon while we were there. I can see where families would enjoy this resort and suspect during the normal school breaks the child population increases so if that's a concern, plan accordingly. We found the Foodland Store at the entrance to Princeville to be one of the nicer food stores on Kauai with a nice deli and a great selection of fruits and veggies. Be sure to sign up for their "saver" card to take advantage of their sale items. Overall we were very happy with this resort and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. Others mentioned the Time Share element associated with the resort. While we knew that going in, the words Time Share were never brought up or even addressed during our stay.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank JLWood

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (572)
  • Korean first
Huntington Beach
Reviewed April 2, 2009

My husband and I are Elite Starwood resort owners with timeshare ownership of the Maui Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort and the Westin Princeville. We recently visited the Princeville Kauai resort for the first time. Loved the location, the rooms, the facilties - heaven. However, the concierge - her name was Lalaini - was terribly rude which was a shock because I really didn't expect that kind of service from a 4 star resort. When we got to the resort, we got two hats as a welcome gift. One was a visor, other a baseball cap with the Westin logo on them (how's that for free advertiseing). I asked whether there was a way I could get two baseball hats because I don't wear visors, but would rather have a cap. Wrong thing to say to Lailani--she had fire coming out of her ears as she said "This is a FREE gift--do y ou understand--FREE gift" She said she couldnt exchange them because it is what is is--a FREE gift. Okay--I GET it, I'm not an idiot. But when she said FREE gift like those hats cost more than a dollar, I started getting a little heated as well. I told her that my husband and our guest spent mega bucks at their golf course, eat at their restaurants, spend hard dollars buying this timeshare for life - we should be worth a baseball cap. She said that if she exchanged the hat, it would come out of her salary (oh, the guillt). I asked to speak to her manager and she said he was out that day (big surprise). Finally, she said "If it makes you happy, here's your hat". I was just astounded that this became so personal with her - over a hat. Wow. I expect this service from a motel -- not from a Westin resort.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
3 Thank lvemaui08
Toronto
Reviewed March 21, 2009

We stayed at the Westin Princeville in early March and although the weather was unusually cold, windy, and rainy, the resort really helped to make the vacation a relaxing and restful one. The resort is quite new and we were placed on an upper floor in building 2. We are a Starwood member and although we have a corporate membership, they could not provide any upgrades due to the fact that this was a vacation property (likely would have gotten one at the Sheraton in Poipu). However, our room had a very nice view of the garden and pool and because all of the buildings are only 3 stories high, it doesn't feel like you're at a huge hotel.

Upon arrival, the staff was very friendly and helpful. They provided us information re. the grounds and was able to answer all of our questions re. the area around the resort (grocery stores, golf courses, etc). When we arrived in the room (studio), we found the room very clean and on par with what was expected of a Westin. The large bathroom had both a shower and bathtub which was great with very nice finishings. The main room was a decent size and although they indicate flat screen TV's, unfortunately the signal comes in poorly therefore you really do not get a chance to enjoy the capabilities of the TV. The kitchen in the studio is very small, especially the sink and dishwasher. It's very difficult to wash anything in the sink and it's best to fill the dishwasher after every meal (you'll likely run the dishwasher after each meal considering how small it is). However the ridge is quite big and the stove is decent.

As for the grounds, there is no beach access but there is a few pools throughout the resort which are great for families and for those "not so nice days". The resort is in Princeville (quieter than the south and much more beautiful) and there is a market close by to get whatever you may need (the prices are slightly higher than Lihue). Hanalei is also very close with a good spread of restaurants.

We spent a week in Kauai and went all over the island. To really enjoy the beauty of Kauai, we would definitely recommend staying on the north shore and the Westin is likely one of the best resorts on the island (next to the Hyatt in Poipu and the Princeville Hotel presently undergoing renovations) and definitely a great place to stay.

One last thing for golfers, the Princeville golf course is right beside the resort but you need to drive a few minutes to get to the entrance. Discounted rates are provided for hotel guest.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank wheretogo2008
Indianapolis
Reviewed March 9, 2009

Anyone who has a problem with this place would have a problem anywhere. The facility is first rate, as is the staff. They can't do enough for you, and they can't do it quick enough. Wish they could have improved on the weather last week, but that's a little out of their league. Booked some great events for us thru the concierge. Even got a kick out of watching the roosters (aka jungle fowl). Stayed in a one bedroom with friends, in building 5, looking out on the ocean. Really nice!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank brickyard399
Houston, Texas
Reviewed March 5, 2009

We stayed in a studio "villa" which is just a hotel room with kitchenette on an introductory package which was very reasonable. The room is nicely appointed but a majority of the space is devoted to the bathroom (largely because of the jacuzzi tub) and kitchen wall, leaving the bedroom space a bit cramped. The resort itself is very nice and I think previous posters have done a good job describing it. We really enjoyed the restaurant for dinner and ate there twice, ordering the same items the second time because we enjoyed them so much the first time. The big problem we encountered is that the A/C blows very hard on your head when you're trying to sleep. There is no low fan setting, only auto, on or off. We found this to be very counter productive to a good nights sleep and I dreaded going to sleep at night. We finally turned the A/C off and were just uncomfortably warm in the room, or opened the lanai door and were kept awake by noisy neighbors. Management is aware of the problem and is "working" on it, but how much work does it take to replace stationery vents with adjustable ones?

I would recommend this hotel with the caveat that you either don't stay in the studio or confirm that they have fixed the problem. Unless you like sleeping with a strong wind blowing on your head. My ratings for the studio assume that the problem will get fixed.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank txsrc
Denver
Reviewed February 27, 2009

We traded our timeshare in CO for this resort and was very happy with it. The rooms are beautiful! The heavenly beds, jazzuzi bathtub, kitchen were great (though there is no oven only the burners but the microwave acts as an oven and there are plenty of grills around the resort). From our room we were able to see the ocean as well as some whales. The gym was good with individual tv's on all the cardio equipment and the concierge service was great. There were some good hiking and beaches close by. The only downside we saw was if you wanted to do activites the majority of them were 1 hr away near lihue. However the drive was not bad and it was nice to be away from the hustle and bustle of the city and just relax.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank docnikee
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed February 11, 2009

It is with great delight that I write this review of the Westin Princeville. We’ve been to Kauai on 3 different vacations. We’ve stayed at the Kuhio Shores condos, Grand Hyatt and Islander at the Beach. This trip I was looking forward to staying on the North Shore.

I did not want to stay in a condo. When I am on vacation I don’t want to make my own bed and do housecleaning so I was definitely looking for room service. I was also put off by reviews of old looking condos and did not want that. So when I heard about the new Westin Princeville opening in the North Shore I was more than anxious to try this new location in Princeville. I was able to get an introduction deal. As our trip got closer I was reading some negative and some positive reviews so I was pretty much ready for anything when we arrived.

We arrived at 4:00pm and checked in. I inquired about the room view when checking in so the clerk was nice enough to let us see 2 different rooms that were options and select one of them. We selected Building 7, though quite honestly they are all good. Only a few rooms at the ends of some buildings have a slight ocean view. The reason to stay here is definitely not the ocean view but that was fine with us because we planned to get out early and be at the beach all day only returning to our room in the evening. At night even if you are right in front of the ocean you really can’t see it because it is so dark though if you are, it is a great experience.

The décor in the buildings is beautiful; modern and Hawaiian with beautiful color schemes. We stayed in a studio room and it was exquitesite! Beautiful, fresh and new, just what I wanted. The queen size bed was the famous Westin Heavenly bed and it certainly was heavenly! There was a sitting area with a sofa that pulled out to a double bed where my 10 year old slept. There was also a nice little writing table and a great kitchen. The kitchen did not have much counter space but it did have a full refrigerator and was fully stocked with everything you could possibly need to cook.

The grounds are absolutely beautiful! The pools are wonderful. There are about 5 pools. The 2 main ones are near the restaurant and resort market. One of the most stunning views for me was the literally hundreds of tiki torches lit up at night. Waterfalls, grills galore and tables. Dinner was wonderful. In the evening it was fun to see lots of families heading out to the grills with their dinner and setting up their tables. Some more elaborate than others; bottles of wine, side dishes, yummy looking salads and appetizers. The grills are huge Weber gas grills. My family and I loved grilling in the evenings. There is a grilling area where you can see the lighthouse in the distance. My son loved to go swimming in the pool next to the grill while my husband and I enjoyed a glass of wine while grilling.

Parking was crowded but always available and free. Wireless Internet was another huge plus for me. Another huge bonus was that everyday there were activities planned. Activities of all sorts for children, families, and couples. During our 5 nights there some of the activities were movie night where a huge screen was put on the lawn and snacks and drinks were provided free as everyone sat on the lawn and on chairs to watch a movie. Other activities included wine tasting, paddle surfing lessons, Lei making and Tahitian drumming. There was also a special “bartenders drink” everyday. It was always a special treat invented by the bartender and was $5, I believe it could have been $6 but I think it was $5.

While I was glad that I stayed here on a deal I would return at their regular listed price without hesitation. Having a full kitchen to make our breakfast and sandwiches for lunch and prepare dinner saved us a small fortune. Housekeeping was daily and everything was left very clean.

Next time I may come up with the extra money to get the 1 bedroom villa just to have the extra space but the studio was more than adequate for us.

I am already making reservations for next year!

• Liked — The room and outdoor decor and grills
  • Disliked — No ocean view
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6 Thank scorchestra
Also consider these accommodations in or near Princeville
Kauai Beach Resort
#4 of 11 in Lihue
Koloa
Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa
Koloa
Koa Kea Hotel & Resort

Been to Westin Princeville Ocean Resort Villas? Share your experiences!