“We loved the Westin on Kauai”

Westin Princeville Ocean Resort Villas
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Princeville
GreenLeadersGold level
Fresno
“We loved the Westin on Kauai”
Reviewed September 30, 2008

I have read some negative comments on this property and we want to say this property was wonderful. The staff was great. We ate in the restaurant and the food was very good. Having the washer and dryer in our room was a great asset.

2 Thank Keikei

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (579)
  • Korean first
brockton, ma
Reviewed September 24, 2008

We are Starwood Vacation Owners - in Orlando, FL and Kauai, HI. We purchased our week in Kauai after a fantastic stay at the Westin in Maui. We should have, however, stuck with Maui.

The Pros of Westin Princeville:
* Quiet - mostly adults, some young chilren, but not many teenagers.
*The pools are nice, grounds are well kept and rooms are very clean.
*Nanea Restaurant is very good. Poolside service is great.
*Outdoor grilles are a nice extra.
*Close proximity to Hanalea Bay.
*North Shore - although rainy is very peaceful.
*Staff will replenish your room with coffee, laundry detergent, shampoo, etc. any time you ask.

The Cons:
*Parking is horrible. You may need to shlep your luggage to your owner.
*Views are nice-but NO direct beach access. Why stay in Hawaii if you don't have oceanfront?!
*Elevator broke down a few times during our stay.
*You have free wireless internet in your room. However, if you go to the Business Center you pay $5.95 per 15 minutes. Stinks for a unit owner who just needed to print out a Luau voucher.
*Small resort store needs better selection. No diet soda for half of my stay.
*Resort only opened 5 months ago, but corridors, back hallways, unit walls,etc. are already beat in some areas.

My husband and I have been to The Big Island, Oahu, Maui, and Kauai. Although it is beautiful here - we definitely prefer Maui.

• Liked — Spacious 2-bedroom lock-out unit.
  • Disliked — Not enough activity. Absolutely no easy beach access.
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed September 23, 2008

We received an introductory offer to stay 5 nights at the new Westin in Princeville which included a rental car and significantly reduced room rate. This is a Starwood vacation ownership property and the introductory offer was to entice people to purchase a timeshare with Starwood.

We were given the smaller suite room but did have a view of the ocean. The 1 and 2 bedroom units have larger kitchens and king beds. Ours had a small but well-equipped kitchen and queen bed that was very comfortable. All of the units have a washer and dryer and it was great not to have a suitcase full of dirty clothes when we left. Everything is new and modern, including a flatscreen TV. We had no complaints with the room itself.

We were there on our honeymoon and we were given a free bottle of champagne. We were advised we had a "gift" waiting for us, which was $100 to apply to our hotel bill. If we agreed to sit through the timeshare presentation, we would have been given another $75 and a similar vacation offer to use at any Starwood vacation property in the future. We chose not to sit through the presentation.

Some of the complaints from other reviewers concerned housekeeping. Our room was cleaned properly every day, although two days housekeeping didn't come until late in the afternoon. This was a minor inconvenience. The other overwhelming complaint has concerned children on the property and the assessment that the resort is "good for families" but not so much for adults traveling alone. It seems that the majority of these types of complaints are from reviewers who traveled during the summer months when any vacation destination is sure to have many children when school is not in session. We purposefully traveled after Labor Day and while there were still some children staying on the property, it was hardly bothersome, even at the pools.

The price of everything on-site is expensive, as others have noted. We ate at the restaurant one night and it was very good and we actually found the off-site restaurant prices to be similar on the island. We would recommend Bar Acuda and Postcards in Hanalei for nice dinners. We had good lunches at Tropical Taco and Hanalei Gourmet, also in Hanalei. There is a grocery store nearby, also with high prices!

We probably would not stay at the Westin Princeville again, not only because we are not Starwood vacation property owners but the regular price per night is far beyond our budget. We only stayed here because of the screaming introductory package deal. There are probably true resort areas on Kauai with beach access (no beach access at the Westin) that offer more bang for your buck.

• Liked — Introductory offer
  • Disliked — Somewhat pressured to buy a vacation ownership
2 Thank Misha22
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed September 7, 2008

My first trip to Kauai - I had low expectations because I was worried about rain. (Nothing worse than a rainy beach vacation.) My husband had been to Kauai in the past and mentioned that the North Shore was more rainy. However, we still chose to stay on the North side because of the new Westin. We are fans of Westin because of their Heavenly Beds. Luckily, it only showered our first day. The rest of our 5 day visit was sunny and beautiful.

We had read the reviews about poor service at this resort and so we were prepared to be annoyed. However, it appears the hotel has made major improvements in its service. Our room was made up in the morning (before noon). We had some problem working the DVD player and we had maintenance in our room in 2 minutes.

For a new place, I must say the room was surprisingly "beat up" (scuff marks on the wall, stains on the bedspread). But I chalk it up to the many families (i.e. kids) who have stayed at this place. I have to say that there are too many kids and infants at this resort, but that is pretty much par for the course when it comes to Hawaii. (By the way, no need to go to the Princeville Hotel - the beach is not worth it.)

We did enjoy the condo amenities such as fridge and microwave. We saved a few bucks by having dinner in our room 2 nights. The hotel also makes it really easy to dine in with their deli/grocery store on the premises. (great pizza) We also drove to the supermarket down the street and loaded up on eats - very convenient.

We did eat out for lunch and some dinners. We never ate at the hotel nor the Princeville Hotel because we heard about the costly meals which were not very good. We like good food and would not want to waste a meal so we ate at off-hotel places like C.J.'s and a great lunch place in Hanalae (sp?) - Kalypso.

We took a helicopter ride and it was awesome. I got a little motion sickness, but it was worth the ride. Tip - book with an outfit called Cheap Tours / Island Helicopters - they had the lowest fares around.

Another tip - no need to drive the winding road to see the "grand canyon" - you get a better view from the helicopter ride.

Also, you must rent a car or you will not be able to go anywhere except the 2 places the hotel shuttle goes to. But navigation is easy so do rent a car.

• Liked — kitchen
  • Disliked — not on beach
6 Thank Trinkettes
Rancho Santa Margarita
Reviewed September 7, 2008

Just came back from 7 days at the resort. First and foresmost, if your a couple with kids...this place is perfect. If your travelling with no kids....there are much better places.

Positivie points first...the rooms are excellent. We stayed in the one bedroom suite and could not have been happier. The beds are excellent and the amenities can't be beat. The general staff are the nicest people...especially Tai the bell hop. Tai provided us with great inside info on where to eat, what beaches are the best and things to do.

Location, location, location. This resort is located very close to some great beaches but you have to drive to them. Lots of activities nearby and very close to grocery store for all your shopping needs.

The not so positive things...you have next to no ocean views. The place is right near the ocean but the trees that outline the golf course block any decent views. Parking is awful...if you are in buildings located in the back of the property, your going to get a lot of excercise, especially since most of the time, if you come back to the Villas at night, there usually is no parking in the closest lots. Very bad if you are bringing back groceries.

Things are not cheap when ordering from the resort. We ordered 4 cocktails and it cost us over $50. There is a grocery store nearby, go there to get your liquor and food and you will save a LOT of money!

Overall, its a better than OK place to stay. Its close to a lot of things but if your just a couple wanting to fully enjoy resort living...this isn't the place. If you are bringing children, this place can't be beat. I would stay here again now knowing what to expect but would probably look elsewhere if you are wanting the ocean views and beach experience.

• Liked — Rooms
  • Disliked — parking
5 Thank magellan165
San Jose, CA
Reviewed September 3, 2008

Perhaps we were so impressed with our stay here because we were offered an unbeatable "time share presentation" deal and paid almost nothing to stay and were given a rental car and choice room. Although we weren't obligated to attend the 2 hour time share presentation, enough incentives were offered that it made it worth our time. But make no mistake, this is a time share property of Starwood resorts, and that is the current focus of the property.

There were very minor "kinks" such as the shower handle coming off in our hands and carpet tacks sticking up, but that can be expected with new property and the staff was most responsive. Otherwise, the rooms are as they appear in the pictures; functional and clean with a very generous bathroom. Yes, there were families -- this is a family resort. We did not find the children laughing and playing to be bothersome, most of the guests were quite polite. If you don't want to hear the laughter of a child, then pick another resort. Also, the two smaller pools were quite nice and had very few children. Children were mostly at the main pool.

We found the resort restaurant to be quite good and reasonably priced for Kauai. Also enjoyed Bar Acuda restaurant in town. The lunch service by the pool area was very inexpensive (about $10.00) and good. If grilling, the main restaurant offered take away sides for $4.00 such as baked potatoes or grilled vegies.

Overall, relax and enjoy. The resort and Kauai were beautiful. I would certainly return.

• Liked — Beautiful grounds and great location
  • Disliked — no beach access
  • Stayed August 2008
5 Thank Cardoza
Massachusetts
Reviewed September 2, 2008

Overall, I think this is one of the best hotels on the island. It is also in the best part of the island, the quiet and uncommercialized North Shore.

RESORT: I think the resort itself has a great, cozy feel to it. There are seven villa buildings on the property, plus a clubhouse and the maitenance buildings, and they are all 3 storeys or less. It feels spread out, kind of like a little community, yet still intimate. The grounds and buildings themselves are beautiful and very well-kept. I was particularly impressed with the beautiful plantings.

On the upper floor of the clubhouse, there is the lobby, kids club, gym, buisness center, sales gallery, and offices. When you walk into the lobby, you can see straight out to the ocean and overlook the pools. It's pretty, and nicely decorated.

On the lower floor is the only resturant, Nanea, and the sundry shop. The sundry shop was cute, with a good selection of neccessities. More on Nanea later.

GYM: I loved the gym! This is one of the big requirements when I go on vacation. It's definitely the best I've ever seen. The room itself is bright and airy, with lots of sunlight coming in through the windows. There is an excellent view of the grounds, as well as the ocean. There is a balcony directly off of the gym, which is avaliable for anyone to work out on. I particularly liked this feature, for you could be outside, enjoy the nice weather, and have a great ocean view.

Some could argue that the gym is a little small, but it was never crowded. However, it is well equiped, with a wide assortment of weights and machines. And is immaculately kept.

Bathrooms, a sauna and a steamroom are attached.

NANEA: Although this is the only resturant in the resort, and that may disappoint a few people, it is absolutely excellent. The chef is really into using local foods, which I think is great. It was clean and elegantly decorated, and if you eat outside, you can enjoy the resort. (Don't worry- there is no fly problem as referred to in another review.) It wasn't terribly overpriced, and my fish special was only $25. I thought it was a good value. The food was awesome- very flavorful and excellently prepared- and was the best meal I had all week (I ate out 3 times.)

POOLS: The pools were great. There are four on the property- one central, large, and multi-level, a kids pool with slide, and two smaller plunge pools tucked in corners of the resort.

The kids and main pools are right next to each other, and are kind of noisy. I much prefered going to the two smaller pools (each with their own whirlpool), which were private and very quiet. They were always uncroweded, and if you were in a surrounding building, they kind of felt like your own backyard.

One of the plunge pools has it's own bar, which was great. I thought it was a little pricey.

The central pool also has it's own bar, and a lunch menu. The lunch menu and food was great. At the main pool, you can have your food and drinks delivered right to your poolside chair!

SERVICE: The staff at the Westin was great. Everyone was very friendly, and always striking up conversation. It really affects your overall experience.

CONCIERGE: The concierge was fabulous. They were eager to offer reccomendations, and very friendly. We took their suggestions and were pleased. In terms of safety, I trust their advice. For example, I asked for directions to Queen's Bath, and they wouldn't give them to me, for they said it was a liability. This proves that they will only reccommend things that are safe. I appreciated that.

We met with Kelly, who was very warm and friendly.

1-BEDROOM VILLA: I think the one bedroom villa is well worth the extra money over a studio. I saw the studio (it was the hospitality suite), and although it would be perfect for a couple, it might become a bit cramped with three people... and forget filling it with four.

The villa itself is beautifully decorated, and very well kept. I liked the decor, as well as amenities like two flat screen TVs, Bose stereos, HUGE whirlpool tub, HUGE shower with bench, and full kitchen. The kitchen has granited countertops and ceiling-high cherry cabinets, and stainless steel appliances. Although there is no oven, their is a MicroOven, which supposedly is a microwave and oven. It works very well. I also like the island, which proves very functional.

One of the best features of the unit is the lanai, which is very spacious. We had an ocean view, which also overlooked the plunge pool with the bar. The huge floor-to-ceiling windows in the living room are also beautiful; they let in tons of light. The pullout couch, by pullout couch standards, was comfortable. My only complaint about the whole unit was that the dining room table was too big for the space, but since we only needed three seats, we pushed it against the wall. Then it was fine.

The bathroom is very large, with a huge whirlpool tub, shower, double vanity, and with an enclosed toilet.

I think it is worth upgrading to a one-bedroom if you are going to have three or more people, or just want more space. The kitchen is much more efficient than that of a studio, which will safe you money instead of eating out.

Other people complained about the expensive rack rates for this resort, but I have to say, I think the prices are fair. When the Princeville closes in September, this will be THE place to stay on the North Shore.

My biggest complaint with this property is the obstruction of ocean views. If you are one the first floor in many buildings in the resort, you will not have a ocean view. Granted, the grounds are beautiful, but you won’t see water from 75% of first floor units. Also, if you are on the second or third floors, there is no guarantee, although in about 75% there will be a view.

BEACH ACCESS: There is no beach access, which is a downer, unless you count the unfinished trail down to Anini Beach. However, that beach was HORRIBLE, and I would not want to go there anyway. Hanalei Beach is less than 10 minutes away and is the best beach on the island. Honestly, I think the value placed on the beachfront property is ridiculous. The Princeville’s beach was terrible- too shallow to swim or snorkel, with pebbly coarse sand. Yet that holds a lot of weight- which I struggle to understand. However, there is a free shuttle that will take you to the Priceville so you can use their beach (which is manmade, by the way… I was digging my toes in not even six inches and hit cement.) if it’s that important to you.

LOCATION: The location on the island is fabulous. The South end is highly commercialized, and there are not that many beaches down there. The North Shore is lush, quiet, secluded and undeveloped. The best beaches on the island- Tunnels, Hanalei, Makua, ect.- are at your fingertips.

Overall, I thought this was a great property. I probably wouldn’t come here if I was on a romantic retreat or a honeymoon, but with kids or a large group, this is definitely the best place to come. I highly recommend it!

• Liked — The cleanliness and environment for families
  • Disliked — No beach access and some of the ocean views were obstructed
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
9 Thank skateNEgold
Also consider these accommodations in or near Princeville
Kauai Beach Resort
#4 of 11 in Lihue
Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club
Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa
Koa Kea Hotel & Resort

Been to Westin Princeville Ocean Resort Villas? Share your experiences!