“Much Improved Service”

GreenLeadersGold level
San Francisco, CA
“Much Improved Service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2008

My first trip to Kauai - I had low expectations because I was worried about rain. (Nothing worse than a rainy beach vacation.) My husband had been to Kauai in the past and mentioned that the North Shore was more rainy. However, we still chose to stay on the North side because of the new Westin. We are fans of Westin because of their Heavenly Beds. Luckily, it only showered our first day. The rest of our 5 day visit was sunny and beautiful.

We had read the reviews about poor service at this resort and so we were prepared to be annoyed. However, it appears the hotel has made major improvements in its service. Our room was made up in the morning (before noon). We had some problem working the DVD player and we had maintenance in our room in 2 minutes.

For a new place, I must say the room was surprisingly "beat up" (scuff marks on the wall, stains on the bedspread). But I chalk it up to the many families (i.e. kids) who have stayed at this place. I have to say that there are too many kids and infants at this resort, but that is pretty much par for the course when it comes to Hawaii. (By the way, no need to go to the Princeville Hotel - the beach is not worth it.)

We did enjoy the condo amenities such as fridge and microwave. We saved a few bucks by having dinner in our room 2 nights. The hotel also makes it really easy to dine in with their deli/grocery store on the premises. (great pizza) We also drove to the supermarket down the street and loaded up on eats - very convenient.

We did eat out for lunch and some dinners. We never ate at the hotel nor the Princeville Hotel because we heard about the costly meals which were not very good. We like good food and would not want to waste a meal so we ate at off-hotel places like C.J.'s and a great lunch place in Hanalae (sp?) - Kalypso.

We took a helicopter ride and it was awesome. I got a little motion sickness, but it was worth the ride. Tip - book with an outfit called Cheap Tours / Island Helicopters - they had the lowest fares around.

Another tip - no need to drive the winding road to see the "grand canyon" - you get a better view from the helicopter ride.

Also, you must rent a car or you will not be able to go anywhere except the 2 places the hotel shuttle goes to. But navigation is easy so do rent a car.

• Liked — kitchen
  • Disliked — not on beach
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Trinkettes

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (557)
  • Korean first
Rancho Santa Margarita
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2008

Just came back from 7 days at the resort. First and foresmost, if your a couple with kids...this place is perfect. If your travelling with no kids....there are much better places.

Positivie points first...the rooms are excellent. We stayed in the one bedroom suite and could not have been happier. The beds are excellent and the amenities can't be beat. The general staff are the nicest people...especially Tai the bell hop. Tai provided us with great inside info on where to eat, what beaches are the best and things to do.

Location, location, location. This resort is located very close to some great beaches but you have to drive to them. Lots of activities nearby and very close to grocery store for all your shopping needs.

The not so positive things...you have next to no ocean views. The place is right near the ocean but the trees that outline the golf course block any decent views. Parking is awful...if you are in buildings located in the back of the property, your going to get a lot of excercise, especially since most of the time, if you come back to the Villas at night, there usually is no parking in the closest lots. Very bad if you are bringing back groceries.

Things are not cheap when ordering from the resort. We ordered 4 cocktails and it cost us over $50. There is a grocery store nearby, go there to get your liquor and food and you will save a LOT of money!

Overall, its a better than OK place to stay. Its close to a lot of things but if your just a couple wanting to fully enjoy resort living...this isn't the place. If you are bringing children, this place can't be beat. I would stay here again now knowing what to expect but would probably look elsewhere if you are wanting the ocean views and beach experience.

• Liked — Rooms
  • Disliked — parking
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
5 Thank magellan165
San Jose, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2008

Perhaps we were so impressed with our stay here because we were offered an unbeatable "time share presentation" deal and paid almost nothing to stay and were given a rental car and choice room. Although we weren't obligated to attend the 2 hour time share presentation, enough incentives were offered that it made it worth our time. But make no mistake, this is a time share property of Starwood resorts, and that is the current focus of the property.

There were very minor "kinks" such as the shower handle coming off in our hands and carpet tacks sticking up, but that can be expected with new property and the staff was most responsive. Otherwise, the rooms are as they appear in the pictures; functional and clean with a very generous bathroom. Yes, there were families -- this is a family resort. We did not find the children laughing and playing to be bothersome, most of the guests were quite polite. If you don't want to hear the laughter of a child, then pick another resort. Also, the two smaller pools were quite nice and had very few children. Children were mostly at the main pool.

We found the resort restaurant to be quite good and reasonably priced for Kauai. Also enjoyed Bar Acuda restaurant in town. The lunch service by the pool area was very inexpensive (about $10.00) and good. If grilling, the main restaurant offered take away sides for $4.00 such as baked potatoes or grilled vegies.

Overall, relax and enjoy. The resort and Kauai were beautiful. I would certainly return.

• Liked — Beautiful grounds and great location
  • Disliked — no beach access
  • Stayed August 2008
5 Thank Cardoza
Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2008

Overall, I think this is one of the best hotels on the island. It is also in the best part of the island, the quiet and uncommercialized North Shore.

RESORT: I think the resort itself has a great, cozy feel to it. There are seven villa buildings on the property, plus a clubhouse and the maitenance buildings, and they are all 3 storeys or less. It feels spread out, kind of like a little community, yet still intimate. The grounds and buildings themselves are beautiful and very well-kept. I was particularly impressed with the beautiful plantings.

On the upper floor of the clubhouse, there is the lobby, kids club, gym, buisness center, sales gallery, and offices. When you walk into the lobby, you can see straight out to the ocean and overlook the pools. It's pretty, and nicely decorated.

On the lower floor is the only resturant, Nanea, and the sundry shop. The sundry shop was cute, with a good selection of neccessities. More on Nanea later.

GYM: I loved the gym! This is one of the big requirements when I go on vacation. It's definitely the best I've ever seen. The room itself is bright and airy, with lots of sunlight coming in through the windows. There is an excellent view of the grounds, as well as the ocean. There is a balcony directly off of the gym, which is avaliable for anyone to work out on. I particularly liked this feature, for you could be outside, enjoy the nice weather, and have a great ocean view.

Some could argue that the gym is a little small, but it was never crowded. However, it is well equiped, with a wide assortment of weights and machines. And is immaculately kept.

Bathrooms, a sauna and a steamroom are attached.

NANEA: Although this is the only resturant in the resort, and that may disappoint a few people, it is absolutely excellent. The chef is really into using local foods, which I think is great. It was clean and elegantly decorated, and if you eat outside, you can enjoy the resort. (Don't worry- there is no fly problem as referred to in another review.) It wasn't terribly overpriced, and my fish special was only $25. I thought it was a good value. The food was awesome- very flavorful and excellently prepared- and was the best meal I had all week (I ate out 3 times.)

POOLS: The pools were great. There are four on the property- one central, large, and multi-level, a kids pool with slide, and two smaller plunge pools tucked in corners of the resort.

The kids and main pools are right next to each other, and are kind of noisy. I much prefered going to the two smaller pools (each with their own whirlpool), which were private and very quiet. They were always uncroweded, and if you were in a surrounding building, they kind of felt like your own backyard.

One of the plunge pools has it's own bar, which was great. I thought it was a little pricey.

The central pool also has it's own bar, and a lunch menu. The lunch menu and food was great. At the main pool, you can have your food and drinks delivered right to your poolside chair!

SERVICE: The staff at the Westin was great. Everyone was very friendly, and always striking up conversation. It really affects your overall experience.

CONCIERGE: The concierge was fabulous. They were eager to offer reccomendations, and very friendly. We took their suggestions and were pleased. In terms of safety, I trust their advice. For example, I asked for directions to Queen's Bath, and they wouldn't give them to me, for they said it was a liability. This proves that they will only reccommend things that are safe. I appreciated that.

We met with Kelly, who was very warm and friendly.

1-BEDROOM VILLA: I think the one bedroom villa is well worth the extra money over a studio. I saw the studio (it was the hospitality suite), and although it would be perfect for a couple, it might become a bit cramped with three people... and forget filling it with four.

The villa itself is beautifully decorated, and very well kept. I liked the decor, as well as amenities like two flat screen TVs, Bose stereos, HUGE whirlpool tub, HUGE shower with bench, and full kitchen. The kitchen has granited countertops and ceiling-high cherry cabinets, and stainless steel appliances. Although there is no oven, their is a MicroOven, which supposedly is a microwave and oven. It works very well. I also like the island, which proves very functional.

One of the best features of the unit is the lanai, which is very spacious. We had an ocean view, which also overlooked the plunge pool with the bar. The huge floor-to-ceiling windows in the living room are also beautiful; they let in tons of light. The pullout couch, by pullout couch standards, was comfortable. My only complaint about the whole unit was that the dining room table was too big for the space, but since we only needed three seats, we pushed it against the wall. Then it was fine.

The bathroom is very large, with a huge whirlpool tub, shower, double vanity, and with an enclosed toilet.

I think it is worth upgrading to a one-bedroom if you are going to have three or more people, or just want more space. The kitchen is much more efficient than that of a studio, which will safe you money instead of eating out.

Other people complained about the expensive rack rates for this resort, but I have to say, I think the prices are fair. When the Princeville closes in September, this will be THE place to stay on the North Shore.

My biggest complaint with this property is the obstruction of ocean views. If you are one the first floor in many buildings in the resort, you will not have a ocean view. Granted, the grounds are beautiful, but you won’t see water from 75% of first floor units. Also, if you are on the second or third floors, there is no guarantee, although in about 75% there will be a view.

BEACH ACCESS: There is no beach access, which is a downer, unless you count the unfinished trail down to Anini Beach. However, that beach was HORRIBLE, and I would not want to go there anyway. Hanalei Beach is less than 10 minutes away and is the best beach on the island. Honestly, I think the value placed on the beachfront property is ridiculous. The Princeville’s beach was terrible- too shallow to swim or snorkel, with pebbly coarse sand. Yet that holds a lot of weight- which I struggle to understand. However, there is a free shuttle that will take you to the Priceville so you can use their beach (which is manmade, by the way… I was digging my toes in not even six inches and hit cement.) if it’s that important to you.

LOCATION: The location on the island is fabulous. The South end is highly commercialized, and there are not that many beaches down there. The North Shore is lush, quiet, secluded and undeveloped. The best beaches on the island- Tunnels, Hanalei, Makua, ect.- are at your fingertips.

Overall, I thought this was a great property. I probably wouldn’t come here if I was on a romantic retreat or a honeymoon, but with kids or a large group, this is definitely the best place to come. I highly recommend it!

• Liked — The cleanliness and environment for families
  • Disliked — No beach access and some of the ocean views were obstructed
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
9 Thank skateNEgold
Philadelphia, PA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2008

We are Starwood Timeshare owners and exchanged a week at Atlantis, Paradise Island for a week in Westin Princeville. The island of Kauai is nothing but amazing. The property however was just ok. Here are my high and low points:
Highs:
+ Outdoor Grills. Get hotdogs, burgers, corn, steak, fish from Foodland (down the road) and throw it on the grill for a great meal everyday. Fresh grilled meals by the pool and tiki lamps. We did this for most of our lunches and dinners. This is the high point of this resort!
+ Cleanliness and Service

Lows:
- Not a breach front property with direct access. Not good for a resort on Kauai when properties much less expensive offer beach view and access.
- 10:30 am Checkout. No delayed check out available, espy when we can’t check in until 3 pm!!
- No Lifeguards
- Not much to do on property. Limited activities. Need to go off property to keep entertained. Pool is just ok.
- Concierge not very knowledgeable on suggesting area activities and beaches.
- Dishwasher and laundry soap should be provided as needed. Does no good to buy supplies for 3 or 4 washes.
- Outdoor porch furniture not adequate for a family.
- Kitchen ovens? We bought pizza and French fries, which we had to return since you did not have ovens in the kitchen.
- Poor internet connections. Kept disconnecting and if it worked, it was very slow.

Places to check out and do while on the North Shore:
* Must see the sunset from Princeville Hotel.
* Tunnels Beach (finding parking is a pain! Get there early or wait for someone to leave)
* Kauapea "Secret" Beach (down the road from Ben Stiller's residence)
* Kilauea Lighthouse
* Road to Hanalei
* Moloa'a Bay
* Kee Beach
* Shaved Ice!

Activities to invest in while on vacation:
* Smith's Luau. Tram ride, pig roast, feast and 1 hour show! It’s great.
* Wings Over Kauai. Great way to see the island; especially the Waimea Canyon. Forget the helicopters, this is amazing.
* NaPali Coast Cruise and Snorkel.

Have fun!!

• Liked — The Outdoor Poolside Grills
  • Disliked — NO Beach Access and very limited views!! For good for a resort in Hawaii!
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
5 Thank FinickyVacationer
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2008

The Real Deal: This place does not cater to adults, it caters to kids and there are LOTS of them. You will be hearing them all day and night screaming and running around the hotel's pools. Parents seem to let their kids run wild here while they sip on expensive tropical drinks with little umbrellas in them. Try to leave the hotel and explore the island during the day for a quiet and tranquil respite.

Yes, there are chickens and rooster roaming throughout the property but they seem to roam freely throughout the island.

The hotel has NO BEACH, you must rent a car to get to the better beaches on the island but they are worth the trip. Steer clear of Tunnels beach its overrated, crowded and again filled with screaming children. Anini beach is great for swimming, its quiet and only a 10 minute drive from the hotel.

The Good: The resort is new, the furnishings are excellent and the 1-bedroom villas are large. The beds are very comfortable and the kitchens allow you to pack lunch and escape the hotel for the day.

The Average: The restaurant is boring and expensive. My wife and I stayed for 6 nights and avoided the restaurant. We had one breakfast buffet the day we left and while sufficient, they seemed to be running out of food by the time we finished our meal and this was at 9:00AM.

The service from the front desk was average and we were not able to check into our room until 5:00PM even though check-in is at 3:00PM.

The Bad: Hotel management needs some significant improvement! Our air conditioner broke twice during our stay and it took multiple phone calls to management and several visits from "engineering" to fix the problem. Hotel staff admitted that they are receiving complaints nightly about faulty air-conditioning units. BEWARE! Hotel management offered no apology and after we complained we were offered $150 off our hotel bill.

• Liked — New rooms
  • Disliked — Management
  • Stayed August 2008
3 Thank BDGRNJ
Orange County, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2008

We had a wonderful stay at the Princeville Villas Resort. I have 5 children, ranging from 20-7, so we had all sorts of comments and opinions about our stay. My 7 year old loved the pools, as they are all pretty shallow, so your little kids will love it. Has a mild water slide for the kids and also these cute fake turtles which spray water in the kiddie pool. Bring a rash guard for your little ones, as my son got a rash, then didnt want to go in the next day. My older kids loved the contemporary furnishings and the beds-which were decked out in the signature crisp white cotton linens. The ambiance of the hotel is great at night, when they light the torches. The resort lacks that "established" feel, ie: mature trees and landscaping. Make sure you hike down to Anini beach which is a 10 minute hike just adjacent to the parking lot. Don't miss this quaint beach with shallow waters and no waves to speak of. There were locals there fishing for fish, I think. The housekeeping was not very good, they came late and didnt seem to even really want to be there-had somewhat of an attitude. We didnt even have them come-ever. I thought I would probably do a better job myself, so I took trash out and made the beds myself-not a big issue. We attribute this to them being a new resort. Kitchen's were good-no oven though, so dont buy cookie dough like we did! Make sure you go to Bubba's burgers and also visit the Princeville Hotel. It will be remodeled soon, so this beautiful old hotel will be no longer. Apparently as Princeville Villas guests, you have access to the hotel. There also is a shuttle going to the hotel every 15 minutes. Enjoyed our stay. Would highly recommend this resort.

• Liked — The beds
  • Disliked — The lack of mature trees and landscaping
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank zigmom
Also consider these accommodations in or near Princeville
Kauai Beach Resort
#4 of 11 in Lihue
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,225 reviews
Koloa
Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa
Hanalei Bay Resort
#2 of 4 in Princeville
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,695 reviews

Been to Westin Princeville Ocean Resort Villas? Share your experiences!