First, let me say that other reviewers' complaints about beach access is valid. But that wasn't what my wife and I wanted, so it doesn't affect my review of Westin Princeville Ocean Resort Villas. I have read other complaints about the unfriendliness of staff, but during our stay, the staff were extremely friendly and helpful. I have also read complaints about being pushed into sales pitches for time-shares and complaints about being encouraged to forego the cleaning of your villa in exchange for one person getting a free breakfast. Our concierge, Nancy M, was extremely helpful in answering questions about excursions and, after we told her we weren't interested in attending a time-share presentation she mentioned, it was no longer a topic of conversation. As for foregoing cleaning for a free breakfast, my wife and I took advantage of that about three times during the week we were there and thought it was a great offer; since it was just the two of us, and since we were gone for most of the day on a couple days, we really didn't need housekeeping to come in every day.
The grounds are gorgeous and we liked the fact there were several pools on the property. We spent a lot of time at the "quiet pool", which was somewhat secluded and not as busy as the "main pool". There are several Weber Summit gas barbecues on the property if you want to do some barbecuing. We didn't, but trust me, Webers are awesome grills. And gardeners and other staff are manicuring the property and keeping it 5-star clean.
We stayed in a one-room villa and thought it was beautiful and spacious enough for two people. The kitchen was modern. It lacked an oven, but we didn't miss it. The bedroom was spacious and the bed was very comfortable. The bathroom had a jacuzzi tub and shower and was spacious as well. Did I mention granite counters throughout? Our villa also had a washer and dryer. In summary, our villa basically had everything you'd need.
Service was outstanding. Anything we needed was gladly provided and management followed up with a call making sure we were satisfied.
A plus for me was also free wifi!!!
Here are the only down-side issues we could come up with. There's not a lot going on in Princeville and we felt a little isolated until we took a short drive to Hanalei and found more shops and restaurants nearby. The Westin only had a high-end restaurant (with what we thought was a limited menu) and a market with pre-made food that they could warm up. The pizzas there we about a 4 on a scale of 10; the sandwiches weren't bad. We wished there had been something in-between pricewise on the property. Also, although this isn't Westin's fault, my cell phone had very poor reception. My carrier is AT&T. I had to leave the villa sometimes to make a phone call. I also support the complaint that the Westin should provide dishsoap and dishwasher soap instead of making you buy it after you use the little bit they initially provide.
Probably the biggest disappointment was room service. For all practical purposes, it was almost non-existent; there was room service, but the items available for room service were very, very, very limited. If you wanted any entree from the restaurant, for example, you had to order it as a take-out.
But, all in all, we had a wonderful vacation in Kauai and were glad we stayed at the Westin. As I said before, it's a beautiful and conscientiously maintained property that is staffed by friendly and helpful employees.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Westin Princeville Ocean Resort Villas are atop the lush, emerald cliffs that line Kauai, this retreat is perfect to savor refreshing Pacific breezes while gazing at the sparkling ocean. Stay in spacious one and two-bedroom villas with up to 1,310 square feet accommodating up to eight adults. Each villa includes fully equipped kitchens, washers and dryers, generous living and dining room areas, and complimentary Wi-Fi. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Starwood, Expedia, Travelocity and Jetsetter so you can book your Westin Princeville Ocean Resort Villas reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Westin Princeville Ocean Resort Villas Hotel Princeville
- Westin Princeville Ocean Hotel
- Princeville Westin
- Westin Princeville Ocean Resort Villas Kauai