“Nicer if you golf”

Westin Princeville Ocean Resort Villas
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Princeville
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed February 9, 2013

I stayed at the Westin Princeville in August. I traveled with my 4 year old son and parents. The weather was unusually rainy which made it cool to play in the pool. The rooms were nice as the Westin vacation ownership properties are. The property sits above the ocean on a bluff so there is no immediate beach access. You have to go to another property on a shuttle if you want to spa or go to the beach which is inconvenient. The pool and cabanas are nice. Getting food is very limited at the small grocery and deli. The location is convenient for traveling on the northern coast areas. I would likely not stay here again. If you golf this would be a better location than if you are a family with young children.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Geogrrl

Reviewed February 6, 2013

Loved it. Beautiful, clean and the pools were amazing. Slightly older clientele there, so it's not the place if you want to "rage against the machine"...if ya know what I mean. Bring the grandparents and your kids, it's really a great place for a generational type vacation.

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed February 4, 2013

The Westin did not disappoint with its beautiful landscape and accommodations. The Tripadvisor advice from all the reviews I read really paid off in planning my stay. I thought I would add my thoughts.

Pros:
Beautiful landscaped grounds, pools, and hot tubs. We saw whales right off our deck and late night trips to the hot tubs were great.

Awesome location. We did walk to the St. Regis which felt a long way on the trip back but was a great way to see sights.

Immaculate rooms - we upgraded from a studio with a queen bed to a one bedroom villa which was HUGE and worth every penny. Do it!

Loved the full kitchen in the room and the grills around the resort. Previous Tripadvisor comments were heard because all the grills were working.

In room laundry was great.

James at the front desk was awesome and helpful.

Odd numbered rooms in buildings 7, 6, and 3 gave great views (we were on the second floor in building three).

We were never asked about buying a timeshare and I was never aware of who were guests and who were owners.

Cons -
The hardest pool chairs I have ever used. No cushions.

We brought our own towels to avoid the whole issue with returning the towel cards, towels, etc. With having our nice fluffy towels instead of the thin Westin towels, we ended up being interrogated by one of the staff as to whether or not we were actually staying at the resort. Her attitude was not appreciated. I wished I had gotten her name because the Westin would want to know she was pretty terrible to deal with. After a peaceful few days on the island, she got me cranked up back to New York minute stress levels and I hated that.

Yup, the roosters will wake you up but that is everywhere in Kauai. Not really a con but a warning.

The Go Green thing was silly. Very restrictive in times and where you can spend your $10.00 a day instead of getting your room clean. I entertained it even though people on Tripadvisor said not to. By the time the front desk was done explaining all the restrictions I gave up and told them to clean our room. If you could spend it on anything, any time in the little market I would have gone for it. Basically it is an enticement to go to their one restaurant and you can't even spend it on having drinks. No thanks.

I get that this is largely a time share resort. There is only the ice maker in your own fridge. If you want a lot of ice you have to call the front desk or buy it in the Princeville markets. Really? Even a Super 8 or a Holiday Inn has a working ice machine for their guests.

Yes, I would stay here again in a heartbeat. I would just manage the nasty pool staff, bring my own towels, get my room clean, and ask for ice.

9  Thank ATWillow
Reviewed February 3, 2013

Lovely resort in an out-of-the-way location. Nice sized rooms with balconies and good communal pools and hot tubs. Great AAA package includes breakfast. Friendly staff are there when you need them and don't intrude otherwise. Convenient for the local grocery store. Great little kitchenette makes self catering a real option. Ideal for independent small groups who need a cozy base.

• Stayed: January 2013
2  Thank ReluctantGeek
Reviewed February 3, 2013

This was our second visit to the Island of Kauai and staying at The Westin Princeville. Last visit was four years ago, and we go every year in January to celebrate our birthdays and wedding anniversary. We start at The Royal Hawaiian in Oahu and then travel on Hawaiian Airlines to another island. Kauai, Maui, Big Island, and now back to Kauai as it's our favourite of all the islands. You truly feel like you are on a Hawaiian island that is not as populated as the other islands.
As for The Westin Princeville it is a fabulous location beside the Prince Golf Course (Top 100 in America), and close to the St. Regis Princeville (shuttle will take you to the St. Regis). The Westin has spacious guestrooms with either a studio or one bedroom suite. Suites have full kitchen, dining table, living room, washer/dryer, separate glass shower and jacuzzi tub, double sink, and king bed. We preferred the ground floor level as we had a larger patio than higher floor balconies. We were in Building 2 and close to the hot tub/quiet pool.
There are outdoor BBQ areas with dining tables around the grounds so you can enjoy cooking/eating outside. Especially good if you're travelling with a larger group.
This resort is high above a cliff, so you can walk down to Anini Beach, but will just need to walk across a shallow stream to get to the main part of Anini. Variety of pool/hot tubs on the grounds of the Resort so lots of options.
Market to get coffee/breakfast sandwiches in the morning, or buy meat/fish, other items to cook in your room/BBQ's. We had lunch at their bar and dinner at Nanea restaurant and both were superb! Lots of activities, and local artisans onsite every day. Would highly recommend this property.

Room Tip: Woudl recommend a ground floor as larger space than a higher floor with balcony. Higher floors migh...
Reviewed February 1, 2013

We stayed at the Westin for four days in early January. It is a very nice, low-rise complex on a beautifully kept property in Princeville. The rooms are smartly designed and the beds are so comfortable that once you get in them, it can be hard to get out again in the morning.

A few thoughts and pointers on staying here:

1. Finding it can be a challenge. There is no signage on the highway--look for the St.Regis sign and turn into Princeville there. You'll then need to follow signs inside Princeville to get to the property.
2. If you can afford the splurge, upgrade to a 1BR suite. These rooms are spacious, have a beautifully appointed kitchen, ensuite washer/dryer, and a wonderfully large bathroom with separate shower and jacuzzi tub.
3. The restaurant does fantastic lunches but is not open in the morning. They have an onsite store for coffee, pastries and food, which may or may not be to your liking if you prefer breakfast.
4. Having said that, you are within a 5 minute drive of the St. Regis, which is a property whose beach you have access to when staying at the Westin. The Sunday brunch there is a thing of gastronomic beauty. It is expensive but my wife and I agreed it was the best buffet brunch we have ever eaten. EVER. The view from the St. Regis' lanai of the Na Pali coast only made the breakfast even better.
5. The massage services they offer are a bit strange. There is no spa, but rather you go to an outdoor pavilion where you are met by the massage therapist. This might be OK in the summer, but during the windy, breezy winter on an overcast day, it made my wife rather uncomfortable. There also is no privacy between guests and you are forced to hover around and wait while the therapist finishes working on the preceding guest.
6. Service is extremely good, as noted by others.
7. The drive to the south, Poipu, etc. can be a bit long, but it is certainly an enjoyable one.

Room Tip: Upper floors are better. Building 4 (where we stayed) faced the golf course and looked out and away...
7  Thank Richard S
Reviewed January 31, 2013

We stayed in a studio adjoined to a one bedroom with family in January 2013. The room and resort was clean and very attractive. The bathroom was very nice. I loved the jacuzzi.

The kitchenette was pretty well appointed, very small in the studio, with hardly any space to work, but very big and functional in the one bedroom.

Bed - very comfortable but the comfortable was too heavy for the climate.

Housekeeping- They scheduled their one day a week cleaning but didn't show up until the next day. when I caught them in the hall for new linens they didn't provide them but instead made us wait until our housekeeping day.

Amenities - They provided unlimited shampoo, soap and conditioner, but not coffee, dish soap and condiments.

Pool - there was a very beautiful pool area with plenty of palapas and pool service which I found to be slow. The pool was a bit too shallow for my taste. The water in the pool felt great.

Beach - you have to climb down a very steep and muddy hill to get to the beach. 10 minute walk down, 20 up. The walk up was very tiring. But Anini beach, the beach that the hotel is closest too was my favorite. Not great for snorkeling but shallow and clam for a long time off shore. Great swimming.

Room Tip: Can't help with this. The smaller numbers have better views. Building 5 is near the big pool...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank GwennieG
Also consider these accommodations in or near Princeville
Koloa
Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club
Kauai Beach Resort
#4 of 11 in Lihue
Koloa
Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa

Been to Westin Princeville Ocean Resort Villas? Share your experiences!