We chose to spend our 25th wedding anniversary at the Westin Princeville. While it is certainly a lovely resort with stunning views out across the ocean, we would visit other Starwood properties before coming back here.
Location: Lovely, convenient location about 25 miles north of Lihue airport. The resort is located at the end of a road, so even though there are many other timeshare resorts surrounding the property, we felt pretty secluded. There is no direct beach access, which could be a problem if your goal is to spend every day on the beach, but Anini is just 10-minute drive and there is a shuttle to the St. Regis beach. Hanalei Beach is also pretty close.
Just past the entrance to the Westin/St. Regis resorts is a little shopping area with a wonderful Foodland (fresh fish, good produce, wine, etc.), Lappert's ice cream and a wine shop. There are also numerous farmer's markets nearby and the concierge can tell you which ones are on which days. We bought absolutely fresh, fabulous produce each day and feasted on mangoes, papayas, pineapple, home baked cookies, etc.
Unit: We were in a 1-BR on the 3rd floor in building 4, overlooking the 14th hole and on out to the ocean. We could hear the waves crashing and the view was just stunning. Our unit was in great repair, comfortable, well stocked and spacious. Our one complaint is that the day of our "tidy up," housekeeping simply put out fresh towels and emptied the trash, but didn't really clean the room. We were a little disappointed.
Pools: This was our one major area of disappointment. While there are several pools on the property, including a beautiful plunge pool with views out to the ocean, the pools are "heated" to between 76 and 78 degrees, which by any standard is way to cool to enjoy. We inquired one day and were told that the goal is to keep the pools between 78 and 82, but there is no way the water was 78. The only people in the pools were parents with children, and we saw numerous guests stick a toe in and walk away. By the third day, we submitted an email complaint to the property via the website, and did receive a phone call the next day from maintenance/engineering. The gentleman was incredibly nice, but said that because of high heating costs, the resort management keeps them cool and 76 is considered "legal."
Given that the pools are the main attraction here, we found it incredibly disappointing that the water was so cold--it really had a negative impact on our experience and was one of the main reasons we opted not to buy at this property, although we are owners at two other Westin timeshare resorts. If I had been paying the nightly rate instead of using this as our timeshare week, I would have been even more upset!
Facilities: Grounds are beautifully maintained--lots of flowers, grass, koi pond, etc. One other thing to note is that while there are many grills around the property, many of them will not light. One night it took us 4 tries to find a grill that would work. We made note of this at the front desk but the grills were never repaired. This is not up to Westin standards!
Staff: Everyone we met was very nice and helpful. The woman who checked us in was a little nervous and didn't give us towel cards, etc., but that was easily remedied.
Bottom line....lovely property on the beautiful north short of Kauai. Villas are pretty, but pools are unusable which means you have to go elsewhere to enjoy being outside.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Westin Princeville Ocean Resort Villas are atop the lush, emerald cliffs that line Kauai, this retreat is perfect to savor refreshing Pacific breezes while gazing at the sparkling ocean. Stay in spacious one and two-bedroom villas with up to 1,310 square feet accommodating up to eight adults. Each villa includes fully equipped kitchens, washers and dryers, generous living and dining room areas, and complimentary Wi-Fi. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Starwood, Vacatia, Odigeo, Travelocity and Jetsetter so you can book your Westin Princeville Ocean Resort Villas reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Westin Princeville Ocean Resort Villas Hotel Princeville
- Westin Princeville Ocean Hotel
- Princeville Westin
- Westin Princeville Ocean Resort Villas Kauai