“Wonderful property”

Westin Princeville Ocean Resort Villas
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Princeville
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed September 21, 2012

This is a timeshare facility. It is well designed, rooms are comfortable, views are excellent. Many pools, some for kids, and some marked "quiet". There is room for everyone. The staff is friendly and well-trained. They make it a point to go out of their way for you, no request is too unimportant. This is our 3rd trip. If you have the chance, a great place to stay.

Room Tip: We've stayed in buildings 3 and 7 facing the ocean. If you are on the ground floor, expect the...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (2,044)

Reviewed September 19, 2012

My husband and I stayed there Sept 8-15th and were really happy with our choice. The north shore is awesome and there is so much to do and see in the area. The Westin itself was also really nice. Pools: They had three pool areas so if one was on the more crowded side (although even the main pool never really got crowded while we were there) you can go to one of the smaller quieter pools. Rooms: We had a studio and it was plenty of room for the two of us- nice bathroom, nice little kitchen area, nice little balcony. Food- the food at the main restaurant was spendy but very good. The apps that you could order from the bar were also really good and much more reasonably priced although they only offered them until 6pm which was a little strange. The breakfasts at the market place were decent although the one or two people working in there always seemed really busy so service was a bit slow. Service- I didn't have any of the problems that some people have with the service. Everyone was friendly, relaxed and helpful. Chickens- They are everywhere but I never remember being woken up by one and I am an incredibly light sleeper.

Overall, I don't think we had any complaints really. When we were planning, we also looked at the St. Regis and I'm glad we didn't do that. Way too much money to spend on a room when you are just going to be out exploring the island most of the time anyway. So the Westin really is a good choice.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mlh631
Reviewed September 19, 2012

We spent 11 days at this beautiful resort and I cannot wait to return. The resort itself is so refreshing although you have to walk down to the beach. The Resort was quiet and very peaceful! The island of Kauai has breathtaking views and is different from the other Hawaiian Islands that we have visited; It is less populated and has a very laid back atmosphere. We counted 19 rainbows and even more chickens. The staff was wonderful. The rooms were pristine and the spa and restaurant did not disappoint. I would certainly recommend this resort for a romantic getaway or honeymoon trip. It is a place that you will want to return to for many years.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank WJB12311
Reviewed September 18, 2012

This was my family's 2nd visit to this just over 4 years old resort. The grounds and pools are beautiful and well maintained as two years ago, the front desk and general staff are friendly and willing to make your visit a great one. The units are generally comfortable and well equipped. Unfortunately there seems to be some communication problems in reservations and the villas don't have the sort of upkeep expected from a 4-5 star property. I made reservations for 2 2BR villas 9 months in advance, rechecked with the resort several times to make certain they were on the same floor', & was assured everything was in order. Our party checked in at separate times & I found out after unpacking that we were on two different floors. The hour was late & I spoke to a manager the next morning. I wasn't given a real reason for the foul-up but we were finally accommodated, however, we had to completely check out of one unit until the new unit was ready. Not impressive. Carpeting in two different units was wrinkled and in some of the living area, unsafe. There were some great looking built-in gas grills but several were out of order the entire time we were there, replaced by portable units. I reported the maintenance problems when I first spoke to the manager about changing rooms. I was told they couldn't always keep up and we had to check out of the one unit because they had to get it ready for another reservation.
The time we spent there was very restful, the resort is very quiet after 8 in the evening. Weather was great and we enjoyed the activites we planned. One concierge was very helpful in recommending the local Foodland in our search for a birthday cake. Most scheduled activities on the property included a fee so we spent our money & time elsewhere. This is my home resort but I'm disappointed with the problems I encountered. They need to be more cognizant of impressions.

Room Tip: The view from most villas is great, either golf course, large open garden area and/or ocean views. T...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank nattynurse
WestinPrincevilleMgr, Guest Relations Manager at Westin Princeville Ocean Resort Villas, responded to this reviewResponded September 27, 2012

Aloha nattynurse,

Mahalo for taking the time to review your recent stay and for choosing The Westin Princeville as your home in the islands. Thank you for your kind words regarding the grounds and our friendly staff, as we take pride in create a comforting and relaxing atmosphere for our guests. It is with disappointment that we read of the negative experiences you had during your stay. We strive to meet all guest requests, and we apologize for the inconvenience you experienced while changing rooms. However, we are pleased we were able to offer a solution for your room location. Your comments regarding the carpets and our grills have been duly noted, and we are quickly working on having those issues addressed. Again, we appreciate your feedback as we continue improving our services and facilities to best serve our valued guests. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed September 17, 2012

I stayed in a studio, as did my son and family. The location on northern Kauai is beautiful and convenient to local attractions - beaches, boating, sightseeing and Hanalei Bay, a quaint little town with restaurants, and some shopping. This is a low key area infused with Hawaiian charm - no highways here - the way you envision Hawaii. The resort is well maintained and furnished with a large heated pool area in a beautiful setting. The spacious studio has a two burner stove and full refrig, so planning and cooking is very convenient to allow relaxation after a long day in the sun. There are five or six sheltered outside barbecue areas with 6 well maintained Weber grills and three dining tables in each dining area. You meet many families here and share travel tips, stories,etc. The staff is very polite and helpful. The only snag was we were first assigned a ground floor unit facing the back parking area, while my son's family was on the second floor facing the pool area. As we were sharing food, this was unacceptable, as we had requested nearby units not on the ground floor. To my pleasant surprise, after a call to the front desk explaining the situation, a manager quickly reassigned us to a beautiful unit on the third floor with a great view and apologized for the error. I highly recommend this resort to families with children of all ages as well as couples. In the past, I have read negative reviews of this resort by Starwood members in the past; however, I found this resort to be one of the best experiences I have had while visiting Hawaii ( this was our 5th trip to Hawaii, 2nd to Kauai) on Starwood points or self pay.

Room Tip: would request upper floor room facing pool or ocean view ground floor rooms can face parking lot an...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank jap179
Reviewed September 17, 2012

My wife and I were married in Kauai earlier this month and we returned to the Westin Princeville. In interests of full disclosure, I am an SVO owner in Kauai and have been to the property three times before. I really enjoy this property and enjoy that it is a smaller sized resort than Maui. The downside of not having beach access immediately off the property as it is located at the top of the hill is more than offset by nice pool spaces and less crowding.
The restaurant on property is nice and serves very tasty food. Hotel staff is very pleasant and professional and accommodating to any requests or inquiries. Weekly activities on property are nice ranging from wine tasting on Wednesday for adults to Koi feeding in the morning for the little ones.
I have stayed in the studio rooms before by myself and was very comfortable. We stayed in the premium 1 bedroom during our stay and I can recommend it if you are there as a couple or small family. Having a dining table and separate bedroom / living space afforded privacy convenience of additional supplies and larger kitchen space. We hit Costco in Lihue before driving north and prepared most meals in the room. The convection microwave is interesting but we had some difficulty making a couple items in there. I will be looking up the model on line and seeing what cooking tips / instructions I might find since the hotel was not able to help.
I would not recommend going to the St Regis to use the beach access which owners / occupants at Westin Princeville enjoy. Since you can't get a towel there, use their pool, or pool chairs, you have the 'luxury' of sitting in the sand or small grass strips. The beach area is small and with all the coral surrounding the beach makes swimming there problematic. There are so many better beach areas to get into not far from the resort. The St Regis guests and staff seem a bit convinced they inhabit more rarefied air than those of us who are not staying at their property. I don't need the snobbery from either group.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Kelly M
Reviewed September 17, 2012

Excellent choice for those wanting to come to the lush tropic garden island of Kauai. We love the north shore. We love being in Princeville and so close to Hanalei Bay and all the great beaches on the north of this beautiful island. Brandi at the front desk is excellent. After traveling all night, she really accomodated us. The staff here is first rate. I recommend building 7 with an ocean view and a view of the main pool, awesome!

So sorry to be going home tomorrow. The resort is awesome. If you have any questions I can ask before you come, let me know asap and I will ask before I leave. This is just heaven on earth and can't be beat......

Room Tip: Roosters everywhere, that is your wake up call. It is truely not annoying; but they are here. High...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank carrbtraveler
Also consider these accommodations in or near Princeville
Kauai Beach Resort
#4 of 11 in Lihue
Koloa
Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa
Hanalei Bay Resort
#1 of 4 in Princeville

Been to Westin Princeville Ocean Resort Villas? Share your experiences!