“Nice hotel, doesn't really feel like Hawaii” 4 of 5 bubbles

Westin Princeville Ocean Resort Villas
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Princeville
GreenLeadersGold level
Victoria, BC, Canada
“Nice hotel, doesn't really feel like Hawaii”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2011

this was a nice hotel, very clean, nice staff, well landscaped. BUT, I would not stay here again. If we never left the hotel grounds, I'd have no idea I was in Hawaii. It comes down to the location and not feeling as though we really "departed" the mainland and arrived in beautiful Kauai. Definitely there is no feeling of hawaiian authenticity like there is in Hanalei, or any other Kauai community for that matter. Just as another reviewer just recently wrote, there is no beach, and why did you go all this way to hawaii to stay somewhere with no beach?

It felt as though we were staying on the mainland with people who are crazy about golfing in their little protected commune. I did not realize that Princeville is the affluent "suburbia" of Kauai, full of time shares, well planned cul-de-sacs that could be in arizona or florida for all I know, golf courses, and strange marble statues of people emerging from oyster shells that is 30 feet high. I really felt as though Princeville had no "soul" if you know what I mean...no character or culture--just a prefabricated experience they were trying to build for a tourist. You can get groceries and gas and souvenirs at the little strip mall in Princeville too--you'd never have to leave and you'd never guess you were in Hawaii.

so...if you stay here, you will have a lovely modern room in well manicured gardens. It is great for families with young kids. But my guess is that is not why you went to kauai-- just go to Palm Springs, Orlando, or Anaheim if you wanted a clean, new, hotel room and a nice pool.

A few tips if you are seriously planning on staying here:
- parking is $9/day
- wireless or high speed internet are both available for free
- if you have the deal with the $50 food credit/day make sure you understand what you can use it for--we checked out and had $100 extra on our bill for food that one person told us was included on the credit, but the front desk said on our last day they had given us wrong info
- don't bother going to St. Regis hotel beach. it is the worst beach--full of st. regis guests already, sand is brought in and has gravel in it (ouch), the water is brown and murky, there is a coral reef right when you go in the water which I imagine is dead already from people walking on it but it's not a sandy bottom. definitely didn't feel welcome there. there are DOZENS of beautiful beaches a 10-15 min drive away towards Hanalei where you'll be 1 of 5 people on them--it is so worth leaving the compound to spend your days at these other beaches.
- very few of the BBQs around the resort are functioning. remember your BBQ etiquette--we had 1 fellow hotel guest nose around our food, lift our BBQ lid up to look at what was inside, and when my husband said, "please don't do that" he rolled his eyes at us and said, "okay there," sarcastically. I don't think it was unreasonable for us to ask him not to do that, but the bottom line is BBq-ing here is not as straightforward as it seems :)

Room Tip: ask for a room that doesn't face the BBQs
3 Thank raeleen-and-nick

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (553)
  • Korean first
Denver, Colorado
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2011

My wife and I had the trip of a life time in Kauai and were amazed at how friendly all the locals were on the island. Unfortunately, the people working at Westin Princeville were the only ones we came across on the island who did not uphold the standard. Our first day at the hotel started poorly, from the slow and frustrating check-in process, then on to the concierge who acted as if we were interrupting his day, followed by waiting 5 hours for a room (well past the check in time). The kicker on waiting all day for a room at check-in was that the maid service was knocking on our door a half hour before the check-out time on the last day of our trip, wondering why we were still there. Then, followed by the front desk rudely communicating that the would not let us checkout 2 hours late, even after I explained all the waiting we had done when checking in. I would have been disappointed by the poor level of service at this Westin even if we were vacationing in a different spot, but when compared with all the other wonderful people on Kauai this Westin is a complete failure.

In terms of the amenities, I'd call this property average... not too bad... not too great. I would 100% recommend going to Kauai, but stay somewhere else and enjoy the quality service that is rampant on the island. Enjoy your trip!

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
14 Thank jonrose182
Yorba Linda, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2011

We always stay in villas (owners of both SPG and Intrawest points), so we know they will be very nice with a kitchen and laundry, etc. It was no different with this Westin, but in the past when we came to the north shore of Kauai we stayed in the Princeville Hotel with its beautiful bay right outside your door. I assumed that the Westin Princeville would be on the same great bay, but that is why I would never come back here...there is no beach to speak of. You can access a beacn in one of two ways. 1. Walk down a very steep hill (maybe 1/3 mile down...and then back up huffing and puffing) carrying all your gear...snorkel stuff, chairs, drinks, etc, or 2. take the hourly shuttle to the Princeville Hotel (sister hotel). My husband has bad ankles so the steep hill was not an option for us. When we took the shuttle I wasn't expecting much until they showed a video in the van that said Westin guests had "exclusive" use of the chairs on the grass over there and that attendants would bring you free tidbits and cold towels. Then I started thinking, "Oh, this isn't too bad". We got there and there were no chairs...most were taken by St Regis guests (and I understand how they wouldn't be able to turn them away...but don't tell us they are exclusively for us!). When my husband walked up to chairs he thought might be available the attendant was just starting to pick it up and said "Someone else needs these". He never offered to help us find a chair, so we kind of felt like the red-headed step-child. We ended up sitting on the beach with no tidbits or cold towels of course. The other thing is that it was raining a lot on our trip so it would have been nice to have the shuttle running every half hour so you didn't have to wait an hour to return when it started raining. If we come back again we will just stay at the St Regis and forget the Westin...not that they didn't try hard and everyone there was nice, but whoever built it should have realized it didn't have a beach. What is Hawaii without a beach? It had one of the prettiest pools I have seen, but you can't snorkel in a pool. We did go to Tunnels beach and saw a seal on the sand and turtles in the surf. Gotta love the chickens and chicks running around on Kee beach. We LOVE the Hanalei Dolphin (where a drunk totaled our rental car as it was parked in the parking lot years ago). Never got to try the Wishing Well shaved ice as recommended as it was always closed early or out of ice, etc. We finally drove to the other side of the island and saw the Waimea Cyn this trip...lovely. We used our kitchen a lot, especially for sashimi (great fresh tuna here). What's up with giving you a washer with no detergent, and salt/pepper shakers with no salt or pepper (yet they give you coffee for the coffeemaker)? We stay in villas all the time and have never seen this before.

1 Thank fusspottt
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2011

My husband and I recently stayed at the Westin Princeville and had a wonderful experience.

1. The rooms- we stayed in a studio suite.
The kitchen was small, but nice. Full-size fridge, Dishwasher, Sink, and a combo microwave-oven with a grilling function (makes perfect bacon). The cleaning crew washed your dishes, but stocks the room with dishwasher detergent and dish soap. It also had a coffee maker with complimentary Kauai coffee and Tazo tea. The kitchen is fully stocked with everything you will need to cook and eat, down to a blender and toaster.
The bathroom was huge and featured a jacuzzi tub, glass shower, and plenty of jumbo towels plus bathrobes and nice shampoo, conditioner, lotion, and soap.
The bed was comfortable and the room was large, with a nice-sized lanai with furniture to enjoy your breakfast outside.

2. The grounds/amenities - beautiful! There are plentiful large grills for use, which are cleaned daily. Beautiful tropical flowers. There are multiple pools, 2 of which are tranquility pools (i.e. fewer kids). The main pool is a nice size with waterfall and servers who make it possible to never have to get up to get your fruity drink of the day. Chairs were plentiful and towels are provided. The bar serves a variety of fruity drinks and anything else you want, plus they have a drink of the day and happy hour for reduced prices. At night, the grounds are lit by huge torches, which creates a tropical feel. The only downside is that they provide daily activities, but sometimes they just don't do them. We tried to watch a movie on the lawn and go to a mixology class... both were canceled. But, they do have daytime activities that do happen (intro to SCUBA and surfing, lei making, etc).

3. The food- the restaurant was great for being a hotel restaurant. Champagne brunches on the weekend. They have frozen martinis... sounds good, but is really just a drippy mess by the time it arrives. However, the rest of their food is pretty stellar... albeit pricey. The market on-site has pizzas and sandwiches, which are decent, and serves Starbucks coffee along with grocery-type items (for a resort price). You can get room service.

4. The resort - check in/out was painless. Concierge was nice and helpful. Staff was all very friendly. There is complimentary fresh water with various fruits all over the resort. They have a business center and large fitness room. All of the buildings are convenient.

Couple hints and tips:
1. You can take a shuttle to/from the St Regis and get a discount at their restaurants. You can also use their beach.

2. If you choose not to get your room cleaned every day, you get a $10 coupon for the resort restaurants. Plan ahead and tell the front desk which days you want to "go green" and you won't have to worry about the 9pm deadline.

3. There is a beach... you just have to hike to it. It is down the trail off the east parking lot next to the golf course. Its all downhill there, thus uphill on the return. However, it is a shaded and calm beach with very few people. There were people camping there when we went, but still nice.

4. There is a Foodland right down the street (literally 5 minutes). Get their savings card. The prices didn't scare us because DC apparently has the same prices. Be prepared for $4 bread. The grocery store does sell liquor, so save yourself the $10 for the drinks and buy the makings for a mai tai.

5. Be prepared for the roosters. They crow ALL DAY LONG. Meaning, if you are a light sleeper, bring earplugs or white noise. They are all over the island, so watch out for them on the road.

6. Parking is an issue at night, you may have to park in the garage. It isn't a far walk, though.

7. It is a convenient location... for SCUBA, snorkeling, hiking, etc.

8. Wifi is free... you just have to renew it daily. Parking is not. $9/day.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Blondebetty123
Dublin, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2011

There were six of us traveling together, 4 in the two bedroom unit and my husband and I in a one bedroom studio. Rooms are really nice, even our room has a small kitchen with a fridge, microwave, and stove top. Also we had a washer and dryer which were really nice. We didn't have much of a view (7109) but our other rooms (7117, 7118) were fabulous with views of the ocean and also close to the pool and grills. We were a little worried about being on the first floor but it actually worked out great as we had a little more room to spread out and sit outside on the lawn in front of the porch of the two bedroom unit. The rooms seem to be insulated really well; we didn't hear anyone above us or next to us at all and I believe the resort is at capacity. If you are coming from EST and/or are up early, make sure to catch sunrise out on the edge of the resort in front of building 7, absolutely stunning.
I think the only drawback for us was the gym. For as big as the resort is the gym is really small. Only 4 treadmills with two of them that weren't working; two ellipticals and two bikes plus a few weight machines. It was really packed everyday we went. There is a walking/running path that leads up to the St. Regis which is about 3-3.5 miles down and back so we did that most days.
Restaurant on property was really good, we ate there twice. Also be sure to check out the drink of the day by the pool for happy hour. It changes everyday and they were all really delicious and the service was great. Lava flows are excellent as well.
The beach thing didn't both us too much. We took the shuttle up to the St. Regis and that worked fine. They brought frozen grapes in the morning and pineapple in the afternoon so the service was really great. The lawn chairs have this little flag and if you want a drink or food you just put it up and someone comes over to help you...pretty cool. The beach was a little hard to get into as there are a lot of rocks as you are getting in the water but really pretty. We also hit up Tunnels beach which is a definite must. We got there around 10:30 or 11 and I was a little worried about parking but we were okay.
I highly recommend dinner up at Makana Terrace. Make a reservation for 5:30 (depending on sunset, it was around 7:15 when we were there) and you will be able to have dinner and enjoy the sunset. Our favorites were the asparagus app and crab cake with risotto for dinner although it was all excellent. Also a must, save room for the pineapple clouds dessert, you will not be disappointed! :) We also really enjoyed dinner at Bar Acuda in Hanalei, make reservations. Check out Tahiti Nu's for a pre dinner drink...good mix of locals and visitors and everyone was super friendly. We were not overly impressed with the food at the Chevron, pizza was not good, calzones were good and HUGE, burgers okay.
If you are a golfer definitely try and play at the St. Regis, beautiful course and wasn’t crowded at all.
Overall we were really impressed with the property and service at the resort and were very sad to leave. Definitely would recommend to anyone. Aloha! :)

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2011

When searching for a north side accommodation, it was the heavenly beds that sold me on the Westin. The beds lived up to their name. We stayed for 10 nights in an ocean view studio villa in building 4. The studio is perfect for two people. Parking was not an issue for that building as other have expressed. The lanai overlooked the golf course and ocean, offering a nice sunset view. The washer and dryer are so nice for the sandy swimsuits each day. The small kitchen has a full size fridge and was adequate for our needs. The Princeville Market to the right of the lobby had Starbucks and really good breakfast sandwiches. We used the St. Regis property once to have a drink ($15 martini!) and watch the sunset which was magnificent. Valet parking is free there with your Westin stay, but you pay $9 per night at Westin. We looked at the beaches at Regis and the one near the Westin but were not impressed, but the one to the right of the Westin was a good workout and a nice trail. The pool and the property are well maintained and beautiful, but who wants to stay at the hotel when you are on the island of Kauai?! Look over the info booklet in the room when you get there as it has useful info, for example, you can stop any calls coming into your room which I highly recommend. Unfortunately, I didn’t read it until the day before we were leaving so the abundant phone messages would flash and wake me up! I called to have a musty smelling shower liner changed and they were accommodating. They called twice to see if it was resolved. Minor annoyance with the phone messages after ten pm, way past my bedtime! I chose “the green choice” which cancels your cleaning service for the day and gives you a $10 card that we used to buy breakfast at the Market. I did that for three days in a row, had the cleaning service one day, and then three more, and so on. The air conditioner issue (blowing too cold and then getting too hot before it kicked back on) was solved by manipulating the louvers in the vent so that it didn’t blow directly on the bed and then leaving the control set to on instead of auto.
On Kauai in general: This is our second trip and the north is the best area to stay for beach lovers (and food lovers!) . Tunnels is an amazing beach and great snorkeling, and if you get there early, parking is not an issue. Follow directions in the Ultimate Kauai Guidebook, the Bible for Kauai, which also has great reviews. On Tuesday at 2 pm there is a farmers’ Market on the way back. Lots of good fruit, organic cosmetics (honey beeswax lip gloss! Wish I would have bought more!) and baked goods! Ke’e is beautiful, snorkeling is decent, and the short Kalalau trail up the Napali Coast is a must for the view. Go to the right at the beach for less crowded area. Hanalei Bay is gorgeous but not a snorkeling beach. Hideways, Anini, and Secret Beach are awesome. In Poipu area, Maha’ulepu beach is wild and gorgeous. The canyon in the west is worth the trip. We went to the end of the road this time and it was beautiful. When we got there, the clouds were obstructing the view. We waited as the Ultimate Guide said that the mist often clears. It did, and the view of the Na Pali coast was amazing! We waited for another 20 minutes until it cleared again while many people came and left without ever seeing anything! If you drive 45 minutes, at least wait 15 minutes! We ate at the Brick Oven Pizza Place on the way back. Fabulous! The Kilauea Lighthouse view is fabulous. Stop at the Kong Lung Shopping Center and hit the bakery and across the street at the Fish Market, ono tacos! The Princeville Shopping Center is two minutes away and has a Foodland grocery where we bought beach chairs the first day. We gave them away the day we left to people who just arrived so maybe they will provide a few people some beach comfort. Lappert’s Ice Cream is there too. Caramel Coconut Macadamia Nut Ice Cream. Wow. Hanalei is a great little town 5 minutes from the hotel. Nice shops and restaurants. Our favorite find was Neide’s, across the street from Bubba’s Burgers (also yum!) in the back. Brazillian Panquecas…#13 on the menu. I am searching for recipes to recreate it. Kalypso’s was good but the servers were overwhelmed when we were there. Wishing Well Shave Ice is slightly off the main strip but better than any other we had. (Steer clear of JoJo’s in the west! Where is the health dept. when you need them?! Yuck.) In Kapa’a, the Bull Shed restaurant was mediocre at best but Scotty’s BBQ was great. In Lihue, the Kauai Bakery’s: apple turnovers! Book any trips that you want to do early. We missed out on the snorkel trip on the coast that we wanted because we waited too long. We did take an interisland trip to Oahu and toured the Pearl Harbor Arizona Memorial, USS Missouri, Bowfin Submarine, and the Aviation Museum. Fascinating history and powerful reminder of the price of freedom. I recommend avoiding a tour and booking an early flight on Hawaiian airlines. The Pearl Harbor area is a $14 cab ride from the airport and the entrance is free for two tours. It is all on the same property area too. TMI? Maybe. But I loved reliving it in the telling!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
14 Thank Monet2011
Kauai, Hawaii
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2011

This was our first visit to the Westin Resort Villas. We were very pleased with our accomadations. Although we were only in the area for 1 night, we wished that we could have stayed longer. Our room was fully equipped with a full size kitchen, a dining table, living area, a beautiful extra large bathroom with a jacuzzi tub! The bed was so comfy, slept like a baby! The property was built in 2008 and the staff is really working hard at keeping it looking brand new. All of the common areas were well maintained, the staff friendly and helpful. There were many pools through out the property, and a nice market on property with a little bit of everything. My husband and I felt this was a perfect place for a family, nice enough to get away, but easy to just relax knowing that you can prepare a few meals in your room, and have a few more comforts of home. The views are peaceful, a perfect place to get away! We hope to get back up there and spend a little more time.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Princeville
Kauai Beach Resort
#1 of 4 in Princeville
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,675 reviews
Koloa
Koa Kea Hotel & Resort

Been to Westin Princeville Ocean Resort Villas? Share your experiences!