“Prince Kuhio #133”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Poipu
Prince Kuhio Condos
Ranked #11 of 29 Specialty Lodging in Poipu
Reviewed April 7, 2014

This was a studio in the back of the building facing the Prince Kuhio Park. The back of the building (away from the road) doesn't have as much of a view of the ocean as the units toward the front but it also is further from the road and seemed more private. The ocean was also easily seen from the lanai so we ate breakfast out there everyday. It is a small-ish studio that was perfect for 2. It didn't seem like it had been recently updated but we liked it that way. We snorkeled at Prince Kuhio Park (difficult entry, moderate to poor visibility), and saw at least 15 sea turtles one morning including the biggest ones we've ever seen anywhere (we're avid divers). We also saw a moray eel. The turtles weren't scared of us so we took a lot of pictures with an underwater camera. The real estate company was easy to work with, plenty of parking in the garage next door (you have to LOOK for it), pretty grounds. Beach stuff available in the unit like old camp chairs, some snorkel gear and beach towels. A/C was great. Chickens run around in the park. Really no complaints. I gave it 4 stars instead of 5 just because it's a little older/run down. I was perfectly happy there though!

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Allison P

Reviewed March 30, 2014

We booked this unit through Kauai Vacation Rentals and VRBO, and were very pleasantly surprised when we entered the suite. 2-9 is very large with an enormous bedroom, plenty of living space, a roomy bathroom and loads of closet area. The kitchen is small (a galley style), but since it is connected to the living area, it just feels like one big, open roomy space. We were extremely comfortable here.

The lanai opens up to a sideways view of the ocean, but the fact that we had a front door AND a lanai meant the cross breezes blew through wonderfully..we were always cool in the unit, no matter the time of day.

The location was good, but we were under the impression that large beaches were closer; the beach directly across the street was very tiny, and since we enjoy long walks in the sand, we needed to go elsewhere. We found some amazing beaches in Poi Pu as we drove down Poi Pu road though, so we used our tiny "across the street" beach to watch the sun go down every night...UTTERLY BREATHTAKING.

The one thing we would like to mention is that there are no staff on site at Prince Kuhio; we had come from a property in Maui where the managers were physically available every day. so this was a big disappointment to us. If you rent this unit, be aware that phone communication is the only way to get assistance, and only if the office is open.

Overall we enjoyed our stay, and would recommend Unit 2-9.

1  Thank debbie29n
Reviewed March 25, 2014 via mobile

We booked this room sight unseen, and were absolutely delighted! We were on the park side with a beautiful view of the ocean. Yes, the neighbors are on either side, but people were friendly, and most often not even there! Yes, there are roosters crowing, but if you don't like to hear roosters crowing, go to Maui. They are ubiquitous here, and you either love them or hate them. The unit was beautifully maintained and super comfortable and close to many beaches. The pool is clean and nice, but we preferred to go to the beach at Poipu State Park. Very, very quiet at night, and we could hear the surf breaking from our room. We will stay here again!

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Mary S
Reviewed March 23, 2014

We found this property through homeaway.com, listing #170517. the unit is exactly as described on the site. The price was good compared to similar units in the area. The whole unit is very compact, but it has everything you need. There were lots of supplies that you could use (paper towels, toilet paper, toiletries, beach towels). In the kitchen and bathroom everything was functional, no issues with anything. Although we booked the unit because it has AC, we didn't have to use it. The ceiling fan and the louvered windows was enough to keep the unit cool.
The location of the unit is at the end of the building, so it felt very private. We liked the roosters and the birds singing in the morning. Lawai beach is across the road from the complex, the fish there are not afraid to get close to you. More than at Poipu beach. A good grocery store is a 5-min. drive to Koloa, with decent prices and good choices. The food stores in Poipu and Kukui'ula are a bit pricey, but they are closer to the unit.
We enjoyed our stay and we'll definitely return.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
5  Thank Sorin300865
Reviewed March 21, 2014

My husband and I just spend 2 weeks in Kauai and stayed in this beautiful unit, March 1 - 15, 2014. The pictures do not lie, it is that amazing and very tastefully decorated. The location was great, walking distance to the little shopping center, the wall at the Beach House restaurant where we met a lot of our neighbors to watch the sunset. Everything we needed was provided by Julie and Darryl in the unit, from the beach chairs, towels and umbrella, to the lovely card send to us prior to our arrival with directions from the airport to the card they left for us upon our arrival. I would recommend this unit to anyone, you will not be disappointed.

4  Thank Michelle N
Reviewed March 15, 2014

My husband & I travel to Hawaii every year, this was our first time on Kauai, but not our first time using VRBO vacation rentals. The reviews for this property online were great, unit 235, so we figured even though the price was fairly low, it must be a great find. We booked through VRBO, company PCR. The property is an older property, but the grounds weren't too bad. The pool however looked very dirty and the water was ice cold. The first night we were in the room, which was in decent condition, a cockroach came running out of the paper towel holder when I reached up to get paper towels. This was a HUGE turn-off! And before you tell me, "this is Hawaii and cockroaches are normal", keep in mind that I have stayed in SEVERAL properties on all 4 of the main Hawaiian Islands and this is the first time we have had this issue. All of the other properties have had good pest control, and I might add, they have been all price levels. The cockroach skittered behind the fridge- I wasn't about to move the fridge to find it. The rental company was notified when they called to check on this-- I wouldn't have called them to report it. We were told to squirt them with dish soap..... which in my opinion could have turned into a big mess! Had a few other bug issues, again a big turn off. I wasn't about to cook or eat in the unit- and we kept what little food we brought in- inside of the fridge. Aside from the bug issue, the room was in pretty decent shape for the age. We were not impressed with the Lanai, as you can see neighbors on both sides if you have the curtains open- not to mention if you are out on the lanai. This was a turn off as you had to be very careful about having curtains open- as people could see right in. I was afraid to shower & come out to my suitcase to get clothes unless everything was closed up tight. The chair & table on lanai need replacement, they are small wicker furniture mostly for looks. Besides the bugs, our biggest complaint was the pool. I had found another property in Poipu I was going to rent, but the pool was being worked on so we declined as we love to swim. As it turned out, we couldn't swim at Prince Kuhio anyway as the pool was ice cold, and while it seems there are several pools in Hawaii that aren't heated, this pool was very shady so it didn't get much sun during the day to help heat it. In addition, the bottom is black and filthy looking. I did report this issue to the management company and she told me that she called the property maintenance and was told that the pool is clean, that the bottom always looks like this and that it's going to be replaced next summer. This is information I would have liked to have known before booking. I also want to add that, while we were there- we saw NO ONE swimming in the pool at all, and only one day did we even see people sitting at the pool.
After day two of bug issues, we decided to book a room in a hotel, as we were not impressed with the situation. I reported to PCR that we would be leaving due to bugs & pool, and she ordered a pest control company to come in and spray. They told us they could spray when we were there and our stuff didn't need to be taken out of the room..... however I was not comfortable with this, so we checked out even a day sooner than we had planned to.
The best way to look at this property is, it is great for people who don't care if they have use of a pool and won't be in the room much. I believe with proper pest control the bugs won't be an issue.
I am however disappointed that we weren't offered any kind of refund, as I should not have to cohabitate with bugs, nor should I breath in toxic fumes from pest control.

7  Thank Traci H
Reviewed February 16, 2014

I gave this condo a 5 star as I really don't know where else you could find an ocean view condo like this for such a good price anywhere @$125/nite. I wanted to stay here as the location in Poipu was just what I wanted so I just figured as long as the unit was clean I would be okay. Well what a surprise.....this unit has been updated with granite counters in kitchen and bath. Nice rattan furniture and new large flat screen TV in the LR. Well stocked kitchen and bath. A washer and dryer with detergent was convenient in unit as well. Yes the layout is a bit odd but really no big deal. King size bed was comfortable. I was concerned about no a/c but we did not need it during our stay anyway.
The grounds are very tropical with wild orchids and other flowers. The pool area is nice. The water may be a bit cool for a young child but was perfect for me. On the park side there are roosters but we didn't hear them at all in the mornings and it was so nice and private to look out the balcony and only see the park and ocean. This unit is on the ground floor.
Great snorkelling is a 3 min walk away as is the fantastic Beach House for lunch or dinner. An upscale shopping plaza is also within easy walking distance which has lots of dining choices.
We found the unit on VRBO but rented with Poipu Connections who were great to deal with.
If you are on a budget but want to stay close to the ocean then check out Prince Kuhio. As has been mentioned each unit is individually owned so check each one carefully to get one suitable for you. We were very lucky and happy too!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank laurelie
Also consider these accommodations in or near Poipu
Kauai Shores Hotel
#10 of 11 in Kapaa
Koloa
Poipu Plantation Resort

Been to Prince Kuhio Condos? Share your experiences!