“An okay place to stay”

Ranked #4 of 30 Specialty Lodging in Poipu
Seattle, Washington
“An okay place to stay”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2007

Our family of five stayed here in February, as my in-laws own a timeshare here. It is an okay place to stay, but definitely a no-frills type of accommodation.

We had a huge corner unit, with two bedrooms, two bathrooms, a living/dining area, fully-equipped kitchen, washer/dryer, and large lanai. The room situation is probably the highlight of this place, because we get so much more space than in a typical hotel room. The washer/dryer are also sanity savers. The unit's decor is typical Hawaiian--comfortable and tropical themed. They brought us a highchair and baby crib upon request. The units here have no A/C, and thankfully in February there are enough breezes to keep the place fairly cool. Geckos do come in, and unfortunately I'm one of those people who are a little bit freaked out to know that there is a lizard behind the curtain of my bedroom.

While the rest of the unit seemed fairly new, the bathrooms could use some serious updating. Both bathrooms had a sort of beigy-colored tile scheme going, and the sinks/tubs/showers were all very old and yellowed. Our shower had terrible water pressure, and we were on the first floor. The lighting in the bathrooms is a giant fluorescent fixture on the ceiling that is quite unflattering and painfully bright.

There are three pools at the resort, although one is a designated adult/quiet pool. The one we used was in the main building, and it was your basic pool with a hot tub next to it. The water was freezing cold and the pool has no features, so our kids spent more time in the hot tub.

At the roof of the main building is an 18-hole mini golf course, which we visited a couple of times, and found it enjoyable. There is also fitness equipment at the guest center there, but we didn't use it.

There is a shave ice shack in front of the property, and across the street is a decent keiki beach. It is a 5-minute drive to the other beaches in Poipu, and a 10-minute drive to Koloa's shops.

Something else to note: I'd say 90% of the people staying here during our visit were retirees. I think there were only one or two other families with children that we saw, and definitely no couples. Kind of a homogenous feeling.

Our favorite places to eat in Kauai: 1) Barbecue Inn, in Lihue, has a huge menu--everything from local favorites to gourmet specialties. 2) The Beach House, in Poipu--get reservations about 20 minutes to sunset, and you will be eating the most fabulous and romantic dinner of your life. 3) Lappert's Ice Cream, in Koloa. Kauai Pie!

• Liked — Large unit with washer/dryer.
  • Disliked — Location and ambience.
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled with family
8 Thank cashmyre

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
Northern California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2007

We have stayed at Lawai Beach Resort two different times. We love this place! When we go to Hawaii, we go there to relax and rest. We love to snorkel and swim at the beach. We feel that the best snorkeling beach on the Island is right across the street, in walking distance. Plus you get one of the best sunsets that we have ever experienced.
This resort is clean and well groomed. It is an older resort, so don't expect brand new facilities. Every room has a balcony and a view of the gardens and almost all have a view of the ocean. We found the beds to be very comfortable and the bedrooms were roomy. The units do not have air conditioning, but most rooms don't need it because they get the trade winds in and get a great breeze. We did leave the windows open most nights to get a good breeze.
We stayed in a one bedroom with one bath. The unit was large and extremely clean. The living room has a pull out sofa bed. The kitchen is very well equipped with just about everything you need for your stay (except food). We had a washer and dryer in our room which made it nice to keep our clothes clean.
We took our laptop and was able to use the internet from our room for an extra weekly fee.
We used the barbeque by the pool, almost every night. We enjoyed our balcony and ocean view each morning for coffee and evenings for dinner.
We did experience a little noise outside, but we kept the windows open most of the night. The noise was not too bad. We experienced more noise at many brand new resorts we have stay at. We hardly heard our neighbors at all, during our entire stay. Many newer resorts seem to have thin walls and you hear people walking and talking. We didn't hear any of that at this resort.
This time we stayed one week at our timeshare at the former Embassy (Point at Poipu), and one week here at Lawai beach. Although the Embassy is newer and has more amenities, we enjoyed our stay here equally. You just have to realize before you go, that this resort is older and not as plush as the newer resorts. We liked it so well, that we just purchased a timeshare here in the Banyan building. We plan on going this summer again. Hope this helps.

• Liked — Rooms, view, and location to beach.
  • Disliked — I had to leave.
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
20 Thank funnel1
Victoria, British Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2006

Nov.23rd, 2006
We rented a two bedroom unit at the Lawaii Beach Resort from Nov. 4th to Nov.11th and were suprised and how large and roomy the units were. We were on the ground floor looking out to the pool and ocean beyond. Our lanai was also spacious as there were sliding glass doors off the living room and also the master bedroom out to it. The unit and the grounds were very clean and neat and towels and linens were changed mid-week. The pool at our builing was surrounded with natural rock and lots of plants as was the hot tub. I have heard complaints about the noise at Lawaii Beach Resort, but we didn't have any problem. The sunsets from across the street at the Beach House Restaurant were stunning. All in all, it was a great vacation.
Gwen and Darrel Shee
Nanoose Bay, Briish Columbia

• Liked — Cleanliness of whole property and size of units.
  • Disliked — Sliding glass door from bedroom wouldn"t lock, but had wooden pole to put into track and keep closed
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
15 Thank backu
American Canyon, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2006

My wife and I stayed at the Lawai Resort for 5 days over the Labor Day weekend and came away with mixed reviews. Long story short, the next time we come to Kauai, we will stay somewhere else.

Our room was spacious and had a great view of the ocean and its near a popular place for surfers. We had a one bedroom condo with a full kitchen and living room with a balcony. The scent of bug spray hit us as we walked in. I guess that's better than the alternatives of roaches and bugs in your room. I quickly discovered two problems with the room. The shower was dripping water and the windows in the bedroom weren't closing properly. These problems were worked on the next day. Service was OK however my request for additional towels was forgotten and didn't receive until the next day. The Resort grounds were well kept with various types of plants and trees and the swimming pools were clean. We enjoyed the presentation of the different excursions on the island from the main lodge. However I did overhear several vacationeers like myself complain about their rooms or roomservice.

However the worst part was the rehabilitation of condo units that was ongoing starting at 8:30am. The sounds of power drills, power saws and hammers reminded me of projects in my own backyard I need to complete. It was in stark contrast to relaxing in paradise. Our only relief was when we left the condo to explore the amazing island of Kauai. Since I am not one to lay in a hotel room all day this was essential to enjoying Kauai. The place was nice, and in a good location, however with on-going construction and maintennance issues, I will not stay here again.

• Liked — Location and landscape
  • Disliked — Construction noise and maintennance problems in room
  • Tips/Secrets — Look for another resort in the area.
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
7 Thank ccheezee
Lafayette, LA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2006

We are currently on our last two days of a week at Lawai Beach Resort. We had booked forward to staying at this resort and I must say that this has been a major disappointment. We are in unit 2411, which is a large, beautiful unit on the 4th floor in the building where the office is housed. This unit must be close to 2000 square feet, overlooking the pool and the ocean.

The kitchen is of very nice size, and is well equipped with modern well working appliances. Even thought this is a unit for 6 people, the dining table and the table on the balcony are for 4 people. There is a small (very uncomfortable) sofa, a very nice recliner (super comfortable) and a chair with an ottoman in the living room. On the lanai (balcony) there is a round table with 4 chairs and a single lounge chair.

In the master bedroom there is a king sized bed which both my wife and I have found to be very uncomfortable. In the second bedroom are two twin beds. The pillows are HUGE and are the most uncomfortable pillows I have ever encountered at any resort over the past 26-years.

The pool area is a free form pool, which is very well maintained. There I a large 10-15 person hot tub/spa. There are two Weber Genesis Silver BBQ grills in the pool area, but be aware that no body cleans the grills so even if you are the first person of the evening to use a grill it will be dirty. Be sure to bring some type of tool down from your room because the BBQ tools are also uncleaned from day to day.

Our unit was from Thursday to Thursday, but we decided to stay an extra day on Kauai so we called over on Thursday and told them we would be coming in the next morning and hold our unit – that we were coming and would be checking in after the early morning inter-island flight. We took a later flight than expected and when we checked in on Friday our unit WAS NOT READY. It was supposed to be ready the day before for a 4:00PM check-in and they tell me that my unit was not occupied the night I missed – so why did it take them 26-hours to get my unit ready?

There is no A/C at this resort, which has never been a problem on any of our visits to Kauai. Our unit has very poor ventilation in the bedroom area so it is necessary to open the bedroom windows to allow as much breeze to blow through as possible. There is a hallway outside our window with a large hallway light. If you leave the curtain open to allow for a breeze the light keeps you up all night long and everyone passing can see into your room.

On the first night we were here a man stopped at our window and looked inside for at least 15-20 seconds. When I saw him I said “Excuse me, is there a problem” and he left. A few seconds later my daughter came running into our room saying that there was a man looking into her window. There are no locking screens, and the windows are open wide enough that a man of any size can easily climb into your unit. My 11-year-old daughter had a major melt down. We moved her twin mattress onto the floor in our room and she has been sleeping with us all week. She actually begged us to cancel the rest of our Hawaiian vacation and go home.

Management did not apologize when told about this problem, in fact they simply told me to inform them if we would be leaving because they had a full house and could rent our unit out for the remainder of the week with no problem.

Yesterday was our mid-week cleaning. They changed the towels and made the beds. They DID NOT change the sheets, vacuum the floors, or do anything in the kitchen (all of which is fine with me). We keep our kitchen clean, but there was a knife in the sink that we had used for breakfast and not placed into the dishwasher. They did close the balcony doors, which meant that when we arrived back at home yesterday evening that the unit was like an oven.

There is a broken toilet seat in our second bathroom, which I reported to the management the very first day we were here. I was told someone would be up “soon” to take care of it. That was 4 days ago and still no maintenance person. I asked about it last night and was told again that a maintenance person would be coming up to take care of it, and of course nobody came.

Over the years I would say that Lawai Beach Resorts unit is pretty average, the pool area above average, and the management staff among the very worst I have ever encountered.

On a scale of 1-5 I rate Lawai Beach Resort a 1.75 (below a 2, but not the lowest rating of 1), and to be honest I think that is being rather generous.

Stayed June 2006
42 Thank bandman
Thousand Oaks, CA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2006

I have to say first that my husband enjoyed this place much more than I did - and my daughter, who had the same complaints as me, she loved the Banyan pool so much that she could probably overlook the other things. What made things difficult for me to enjoy my stay here was the fact that there is no air-conditioning. So if you keep the windows & doors open for the cross-breezes, then at 6 AM (or ealier) you are awakened by chickens squawking and roosters crowing, and then by the BANGS and CLANGS and mechanical noises of the trash-trucks picking up the dumpsters at the Beach House restaurant and other local businesses. Then, of course, you also hear your neighbors as they come & go, and kids playing & swimming, etc etc etc. So if you're a "morning person" none of this will be a problem for you. Unfortunately everyone in my family are NOT "morning persons" so the daily "wake up call" outside was more than annoying, it was sleep-deprivation at its finest. And staying in the Coral Building, there was no washers or dryers in the units, so slogging the laundry up & down stairs was a real pain in the neck. My husband & I were visiting Kauai in 1997 when the LBR was finished building and was first selling units. We were seriously considering purchasing one, but financially it was just out of our reach. Now I'm sort-of glad we didn't, so we can stay somewhere else on the island. Hopefully somewhere with A/C so we can keep the windows closed at night & in the morning.

• Stayed August 2005
18 Thank Ro60
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2006

We had a two bedroom in Alii Building and loved it. I have stayed at Lawai Beach Condos since 1998 and it has been very well taken care of, always friendly and helpful personnel. Beautiful pools, and great views, and central location. Even with the rain, it was great. Will plan to stay again. Aloha and Mahalo!
R. Murdock

Stayed March 2006
15 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Poipu
Koloa
Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club
Kauai Beach Resort
#4 of 11 in Lihue
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,226 reviews
Koloa
Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa

Been to Lawai Beach Resort? Share your experiences!