“Everything we were looking for”
Review of Lawai Beach Resort

Lawai Beach Resort
Ranked #3 of 29 Specialty Lodging in Poipu
New Jersey
“Everything we were looking for”
Reviewed April 30, 2009

This is a large resort made up of several buildings, so I suspect our review may differ from someone who stayed in another building. Our unit was a 2BR 2BA in the Banyan Building. The unit was large, well laid out and very clean. It appeared to have been recently remodeled. The view from our lanai was gorgeous. There is a street between the buildings and the ocean, but it is not very noticeable. There is also a large, beautifully landscaped pool with tiki torches and plenty of tables, chairs and lounges at the center of the building’s grounds. It had a very nice natural looking spa area tucked away next to the pool. We enjoyed it most nights, but were told it hadn’t been working in previous days. The grounds were kept extremely clean and security was always walking around the resort. The beach in front of the resort is not a good swimming beach, and by high tide there is only a thin strip of sand left. But the snorkeling is fantastic. Easy entry, and ten feet into the water it was like swimming in an aquarium. Of course, this is also why there are hoards of groups showing up in vans to snorkel by mid-morning. We did not see any cats and just one chicken with chicks roaming the grounds. Birds could be a nuisance on the lanai. Our bedrooms backed up to the parking lot, and we could hear a little noise in the mornings, but nothing that would wake us up. There was some construction behind the resort, but again the noise was minimal while we were there. I was saddened to see how much construction was going on in the Poipu area.

We were very impressed by the level of service at. The staff was very friendly and accommodating and seemed to be everywhere you looked. We would recommend this resort to anyone.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
3 Thank JerseyTraveler100

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed April 20, 2009

We have stayed at LBR 5 times. It isn't the newest resort on Kauai, but we have always had wonderful vacations there. The units have updated kitchens and baths and are very clean. It is across a two lane road from the beach with great snorkeling and amazing sunsets! We have always found the staff to be very helpful and accommodating. Others have complained of chicken noise....they are EVERYWHERE on the island. It was a great place and we will be going back again!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
3 Thank ZoeysMomAtlanta
Denver, CO
Reviewed April 19, 2009

Celebrating our 10 year anniversary in Poipu, we chose the the Lawai Beach resort. As previous owner at the Waiohai Marriott resort, we were a little reluctant to change.

After having been delayed by 10 hours by NWA late arrival to Honolulu and missing our plane to Kauai, we were greeted by a wonderful staff member.

She immediately upgraded us to a ocean view room with a washer and dryer! This is very beneficial as we have a 3 year old, 9 month old and a grandma that spills on herself a lot... :)

We stayed in the Banyan building with easy access to the pool. Our daughters loved it especially the waterfall! Easy walk across the street to the small beach and our favorite Beach house restuarant. The beds were very comfortable. The gift shop was closed for remodeling but this did not bother us as we picked up groceries in Lihue.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
4 Thank PoipuLovers1999
Pasadena
Reviewed April 13, 2009

The resort is very well located...just across the beach with easy and very good snorkeling. The south beaches are nice and sunny with little wind. Although the beach is a bit rocky there are some nice small beaches for sunbathing and swimming. The snorkeling is easy and the marine activity is very good. This resort has 3 buildings of various ages, the Banyan being the newest with the best views, location, and probably 4 star decor. All bldgs have views, except the Coral bldg has full to partial ocean views. Rooms in the Alii building (where we stayed) are probably 3 star decor and it took a few days to air out the musty smell. On the plus side you have an in-unit washer/dryer. All rooms are very well maintained and very clean with a fully equipped kitchen. Coral building has covered parking and the rooftop activity center (gym, miniature golf, billiards) is located in bldg but you use community laundry room. The staff is very nice and very accomodating. When we checked in we were scheduled for Coral Bldg, we asked for ocean view and they put us in better location with a better room in the Alii. The concierge staff does a good orientation, however, I think they will only make arrangements for their own tours.

I think this is a great resort and has lots of accomodations for families. Things I didn't like (besides 3 star musty room)...extra charge for add'l laundry detergent (but I guess that helps people to remember to conserve water and use of detergent), use of billiards table ($.50/game), $5 DVD rental, DSL in-room connection (but free WiFi hotsopots in lobby).

Things I really liked: Great beach location for sunning and snorkeling; Pools/jacuzzi; Views, Staff; REALLY clean; free afternoon mai tai punch

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
4 Thank ChixRule
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed March 25, 2009

I wrote this while I was staying at Lawai Beach Resort and added something every day(well almost). Check-in was super easy, the resort is in excellent condition and the rooms are spacious and very large. They have a big screen TVs(although we did not even turn it on), lots of cooking utensils, nice clean large bathrooms and a staff so friendly I felt like I was family(the good kind). The active construction near the resort is completed so you cannot hear it however the dust barrier is still up. We stayed in the Coral building which has a parking garage behind it which is convenient because we could drive up to our floor. We did have an ocean view but it was because we were on the 3rd floor. I do not think the 1st and 2nd floors have an ocean view although I am not sure. Our 1 bed room condo could have easily accommodated 4 – 2 on the sleeper sofa and 2 in the bedroom(there were only 2 of us). If you want an unobstructed view of the Ocean get a room in the Banyan or Alli building and at least on the 2nd floor or higher. The workout facility was nice, free wireless in 2 public areas it would have been nice to have wireless in the rooms even if we had to pay for it, the room internet access is via Ethernet cable. In the morning depending on how late you want o sleep the Coral building can be a little noisey, about 930am is when people start getting up and the noise bounces off the parking structure. Usually we had the windows open which is probably why we could hear the noise – equally loud were the waves from across the street so we can’t complain.

If you are looking for the “touristy” Hawaiian experience I would not recommend a condo, we have been to Hawaii many times and sometimes we feel like going to a hotel and being pampered(Hyatt); on other occasions I want a little more privacy, more space and the ability to cook my own food(breakfast, lunch or dinner). We bought fish from the Koloa Fish Market twice, cooked it ourselves and it was wonderful, they gave us suggestions on how to cook it and even helped us with a shopping list. The Lawai Beach Resort is next to a very small beach with excellent snorkeling right off the shore and a very good restaurant called the Beach House. A very short car ride away is the wonderful Poipu Beach perfect for everyone from adults to little kids.

Restaurants:
Café Portifino in the Marriot
Italian food was good but not spectacular, the service was a little slow and we had to return the bottle of wine as the finish was off. (when I pay $120 a bottle for a wine I know and love I expect it to be perfect). We selected a different bottle of average quality and it was drinkable. The dessert was fantastic. I would not got back to this restaurant.

Duke’s in the Marriot
Hawaiian style food on the right on the beach. The Calamari were very good and the drinks wonderful. Duke’s met our expectations in every way, we went to the bar to and had bar food which was good but typical – being in Hawaii makes is better. Perfectly good food, not too expensive I will be back.

Plantation Gardens
Absolutely wonderful. If you are looking for exquisite food and wonderful service this is the place. Seafood is the rule here, my entrée was $28 and very good. There are a few other dishes but if you are coming to Island then eat here and have the special of the day….Whatever it is. We will definitely be back to this restaurant.

Pomodoro –
Very small Italian restaurant in the Rainbow Plaza on the Kaumualii Hwy just outside of Poipu. This was a fantastic restaurant, if you are in the mood for Italian go here. Make a reservation; they only have about 12 tables however the food is 100 times better than the Café Portifino and more than ½ the price. The menu is smaller but what they do, they do very well. I would recommend this restaurant also.

Golf:
Kiahuna Golf Course –
I have played this course many times and this year the course grew up and has finally matured, the greens keepers have finally done it. They greens were true, rolled wonderfully, the fairways were more than perfect and the staff was great. Better yet the 1st time we played it was $85 and the 2nd time and each time after was only $65 all including carts w/GPS. For Hawaii this is perfect.

Puakea
Average, Average course but because of the green fees I would rate it lower. The greens were slow as molasses, not true and still needs some maturing. Normally I do not care but I would expect a golf course that is rated this high and this expensive to have better yardage marks on the course and/or GPS in the carts.

Kauai Lagoos @ the Marriot..
THEY RUINED IT!! I can’t believe it – they took an incredibly beautiful course on the ocean and ruined it. Gone are the signature holes and in their place are condos. The course is no longer worth it.

Poipu Bay Resort
My favorite course on the Island although a little expensive I will probably play here everytime I come back. The greens are true, the staff excellent, views are fantastic and the rough is rough. We saw whales from the 15th and 16th holes.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Mike-5472
Los Lunas NM
Reviewed November 28, 2008

My wife and I rented a 2 bedroom, 2 bath Condo at the Lawai Beach Resort for 11 nights from Nov 10, 2008. Arrangements were handled through Suite Paradise and included a full size rental car from Hertz. We stayed in Room # 1401, 4th floor of the Ali'i Units. The Condo location and amenities were excellent. The staff at Suite Paradise and the Condo were responsive and helpful. We enjoyed the ambience provided by the Condo owner including high end bedding and the art work. The Condo was fully equipped from the kitchen to the bathrooms and all was clean and in working order. The only drawback became evident the first Friday, and 2nd Monday and Tuesday of our stay when workmen in the unit next door began pounding, sawing, drilling and using a pneumatic nail gun in removing and replacing the front sliding doors and back bedroom windows of that unit. Also, during the 2nd week the stairs to the ground level from the elevator access were torn out to be replaced by a ramp.
Of course the new convenience was not useable during our stay. but the long walk around the mess would make our treks to and from our handicap parking space difficult particularly during the rainy and windy days during this visit. We were promised a discount of 20% of one weeks rental to be credited to our credit card for our inconvenience but no such credit has been posted.

• Liked — The terrific ocean view right across from the Condo
  • Disliked — The noisy construction that no one seemed willing to admit they knew would occur during our stay
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank wfprahl
Edmonton, Alberta
Reviewed November 23, 2008

We just arrived home from a two week stay at Lawai Beach Resort. It was great, much better than we could have hoped for. The suite was updated, well stocked with all we could need, and very clean and well serviced. The staff were indeed excellent. The pool and grounds were very well kept. The pool and hot tub were however not warm enough for our liking.
If I have one thing only to say negative is that the Roster at 5:30AM every morning was SOO annoying. We closed windows, and bought earplugs but nothing really helped. However the days are short as the sunsets at 6:00 PM so early risers get the most of the day. Due to bad weather we seen a great deal of the island touring.
We would recommend this resort to anyone and everyone.
Thank you.

• Liked — Excellent rooms and well kept resort
  • Disliked — Pool and roosters in the AM
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Windy236
Also consider these accommodations in or near Poipu
Koloa
Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club
Kauai Beach Resort
#4 of 11 in Lihue
Koloa
Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa

Been to Lawai Beach Resort? Share your experiences!