“Beautiful oceanfront location at a great value...no hesitation on returning.”
Review of Lawai Beach Resort

Lawai Beach Resort
Ranked #4 of 30 Specialty Lodging in Poipu
Grand Forks, North Dakota
“Beautiful oceanfront location at a great value...no hesitation on returning.”
Reviewed September 15, 2012

I have stayed at this condo property two times, and wil be returning a third time in January 2013 - and plan to continue returning throughout the years.

My travel to this resort has been in December and January each time.

The condos - there are multiple buildings at the resort, so as I noted in my tips - be sure to know which building you are staying in, and which floor; third or fourth floor provides more of the view you are coming to the island to see. I have stayed in the Banyan and Alii buildings - both have been very nice. I have been told to stay away from the Coral building - but I have not stayed there personally. Condos are not overly luxurious - but they are always VERY clean and many of the condos have been renovated with granite counters, etc...kitchens (stocked with all the cooking items you will need) are provided in each unit, so meals on the lanai will likely be common...Condos do not have Air Conditioning, but I was always uncomfortable - being near a stair/elevator provides convenience, but also will create a 'noisier' setting as you will likely have your windows open - something to consider as you select your unit.

Activity counter - there is one located in the lobby of the Banyan building. They are great to work with, and have booked several things through them in the past. I can't say it was the cheapest or most expensive, but it was definately convenient.

The property - has been beautifully grooomed on both of my visits. Always looks immaculate.

The view - Really can't be beat. The first morning I arrive, I walk to the lanai and a big smile comes across my face. I find myself waking up at 5am to watch the sun come up, watch for whales (in winter), and just listen to the waves - yes, they are that close...

The beach - as others noted, it is small...it is not a beach to walk along for miles like some of the others on the island...but, the snorkeling at the beach is wonderful/the best - no need to book a snorkeling package - just walk out the door of the condo, and you are right there.

Location - great access to all things on the east/south side - shopping, poipu, beaches, etc - I'll leave that for other forums and reviews of activities...but, if you haven't been to the island before, don't miss the North end and the NaPali coast - it can't be missed.

This is not a full-service resort with restaurants, room service, etc - that is the only reason I ranked those areas lower in my ratings as N/A was not available.

As I noted in my headline, I have ZERO hesitation returning to this resort, and have been more than comfortable bringing family/friends with me on 2 trips, and this winter will be a third!!

Room Tip: Be sure to inquire which building and which floor you are renting. Each will come with a different...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank HeidiB1077
owen h, Guest Relations Manager at Lawai Beach Resort, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
Aloha,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. We are pleased to hear that you will be returning to our resort soon. Our staff will be excited to read your post as we use all posts in our trainings. Our team takes all feedback that we can get to assist us in providing the best service possible to our owners and guests.

Again thank you for taking the time to post your comments.

Owen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
Bronxville, New York
Reviewed September 12, 2012

I We have been owners for years and love the upgrades that been done over the years. The weather is so nice, you only need ceiling fans and the tropical breeze. We own in the coral building and book units on the top floor for an ocean view. There are flat screen tvs in bedroom and living room. We rented an additional week in the Alii building, but is was not upgraded yet. It did have a huge bedroom and great view.

The beach is small, but the best snorkel location. The beach house restaurant is great, but expensive. We love the tiki torches at night and using all three pools and spas. We also played tennis in the morning before it was too hot.

The lawai is constantly grooming the grounds and upgrading the units. A great deal for oceanfront resort. Walking distance to new shopping center. Close to spouting horn and botanical gardens.
Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank jerry l
Aloha,

Thank you for your positive comments. Nice to see owners writing reviews together, Again thank you for taking the time to post your comments.

Mahalo A Hui Hou
Redwood City
Reviewed September 10, 2012

Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Bubblebutt2011
Aloha,

Thank you so much for your kinds words. Our team will appreciates your comments. They take great pride in providing our Owners and guests a wonderful experience. Thank you again for taking the time to post your positive comments.

Bayside, NY
Reviewed September 6, 2012

Two of us arrived at 8 pm on a Saturday night in Lihue and due to heavy rains, it was a challenge to drive and find this resort along DARK roads. Thank goodness we had a GPS with us. The remaining 4 people arrived later.

Check in was quick. I was NOT happy about paying a MANDATORY SURCHARGE of $ 60. It wasn't for the pool or fitness center. The surcharge was for rooftop tennis, rooftop mini-golf, DVD rentals, wireless internet and ENERGY SURCHARGE. We didn't use the tennis, mini-golf or DVD rental....we couldn't even use much energy....so no more comments from me about being ripped off. Note that OWNERS at Lawai Beach Resort did not have to pay the surcharge, so you know who is paying for them.

They offerred use of a room safe, but I would have been responsible for something like a $ 25 charge if I didn't return the KEY. I declined. They need to upgrade their safes to take a code...instead of a key.

We were assigned a 2 bedroom in the CORAL building and parked on the 2nd floor as instructed. When we checked into the room, it was soooo....HOT. Guess what??? NO AIR CONDITIONING. We called the front desk and were told there is NO a/c anywhere in this resort. Then, we found out that the 2 bedroom unit had only ONE small bathroom. We had 6 people. This was NOT acceptable to us; we were told to call back at 5 am to speak to a manager. We exchanged through RCI, but they were closed for the weekend.

There was NO notification from RCI that the resort lacked A/C. How can they charge us an energy surcharge when there was NO air conditioning? Oh...the unit did have ceiling fans and they gave us another fan. There was NO notification that a 2 bedroom that sleeps 6 would have only ONE small bathroom. I was HOT and MAD. Fortunately, they were able to move us to another two bedroom unit on the first floor of the Alii building. This one had two bathrooms but was near the stairs and the guest bedroom windows opened onto the walkway and stairs.

So...NO a/c and we had to leave all the windows opened to get a cross breeze going. We had to shut the bottom of the windows so we could have some privacy. Since the windows were opened our entire stay...guess what? It was NOISY. Cars parking, people coming down the stairs, the recycle bin and garbage chute was in the stairs area too...so we got to hear LOTS of NOISE. Everytime someone threw a bottle or can into the recycle, guess who heard it? And on top of this, we were in a handicap unit (good for space) and bad because there was NO kitchen exhaust fan. When we cooked, we generated more heat in a non-air conditioned unit.

There was a sign asking people using the stairs to speak quietly, but it is normal for families coming down the stairs to talk to one another and how do you effectively keep kids quiet?

What else didn't I like? Well, staying on a first floor unit exposed us to more critters. We had a small frog get into the unit. We took him out and released him. We had a small gecko get into the unit. We caught and released him. We had PALMETTO bugs that we killed. (OK...the resort must know about them, because sometimes the unit would smell of insecticide and there were a couple of dead ones near the water heater). One night my 13 year old daughter found a palmetto bug on her pillow and refused to sleep until we washed the sheets.

There were GOOD things about the resort. The location was great....the beach was rocky but had great snorkeling. The pools / hot tubs were nice. The gas BBQ was a nice touch, although it wasn't very powerful. The resort was clean and the exterior and common areas were very well maintained. The fitness room was VERY NICE. Good quality equipment. Clean. Air conditioned.

The master bedroom was HUGE. The bathrooms were nice. The guest room had two twin beds. The living room / dining area was nice. There was a recliner and the sofa bed was already made up. The lanai was HUGE and shrubbery kept it private. Sitting on the lanai was very quiet.

We had enough HOT water and pressure when showering. Lots of closet and storage space for clothes, etc. The wireless internet worked great! TV's in each bedroom and living room (with cable, I think).

Plenty of towels, including pool towels. They gave us a sweeper so we could sweep up. They provided dish detergent / dishwasher detergent, etc. Lot's of plates and glasses so we could reduce the number of times we ran the dishwasher (another energy saving). The kitchen was fully stocked. We had a coffeemaker, toaster, blender, collander, etc. There was a pack or two of laundry detergent. Noisy dishwasher. Noisy washer / dryer. Refrigerator had an icemaker.

One day, the stove broke down. Maintenance responded quickly and replaced the old stove with another old stove....but that one worked.

Oh...NO midweek cleaning OR towel exchange, unless you were willing to pay extra for it. My sister (aka the "neat freak") kept using the sweeper on the common area carpets. She also bought an additional roll of paper towels and spray cleaner to wipe the dining room (glass) table down. I didn't have to pay her any extra.

And...a couple that stayed a few doors down were having "relationship issues," so we heard them arguing and slamming doors all week. We couldn't close the windows to decrease the noise. It was listen or "get cooked." Security was called multiple times, but they were not able to do much.

At one end of the unit, the only noise was the rooster's crowing whenever they wanted. At the other end of the unit, we had noise from roosters, cars, people coming down the stairs, garbage, recycling etc.

Overall, parking was ok. If we got back late, we had to walk about a block. No complaints. They provided an "unloading area" and carts to transport luggage / groceries so that was nice.

Check out was fast and efficient.

I will not stay here again. WARNING: Do NOT stay in the CORAL building at the Lawai Beach Resort and try to stay higher than the first floor.

And...I would have had NO issues paying a significantly higher energy surcharge if I had air conditioning (my pet peeve). It would have drowned out the exterior noise and maybe a few less critters would be sharing the unit with us. And I would have been OK paying some reasonable charge for internet service, but I feel like I paid $ 60 for it. I didn't use the tennis court or mini-golf or rent DVD's.

I would have rated this resort one less star, but gave them an extra "dot" because it is across the street from the beach, the area is really nice, the grounds are maintained nicely and the employees provided good service.

Room Tip: A room on a higher floor may have better cross-ventilation and less uninvited visitors. Check number...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
7 Thank MauiLea
Aloha,

I wanted to thank you for taking the time to write your review of your recent stay at the Lawai Beach Resort. I have shared your comments not only with the operational team but RCI as well. We as a management team take all and any feedback that we get seriously. We take great pride in ensuring that all owners and guests have a true understanding of what we offer.
Again we truly appreciate your feedback and will be sure to share with our teams your comments in regards to the location, grounds and service levels of the Lawai Beach Resort. If you would like to speak to me directly I can be reached at 808-240-5159.

Detroit, MI
Reviewed August 25, 2012

We stayed at the Lawai Beach Resort from August 16- August 23 2012. It was great! We were in the Banyan building, in room 2408. We had a fabulous view of the ocean, and the room was spacious and comfortable. It had a fully stocked kitchen, spacious lanai, and very comfortable furniture. We were concerned about the lack of AC in the unit, but with the fans and the breeze from the ocean, we were quite comfortable! There is no restaurant on site, but there are a TON of restaurants and stores very nearby. The staff was helpful and courteous, and we enjoyed the on site amenities such as the gym, roof-top mini-golf, and roof-top tennis courts. The beach directly across the street (Kuhio beach) had some of the best snorkeling on the island... Our first day we saw a ton of fish, a sea turtle, and a monk seal! We would definitely return to Lawai Beach Resort!

Room Tip: There are multiple buildings here, but the Banyan building has the best views! Try for a higher floo...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jmh509
owen h, Guest Relations Manager at Lawai Beach Resort, responded to this review, September 1, 2012
Aloha,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comment in regards to your recent stay with us. I was happy to hear that you truly enjoyed our location and services. Our team takes pride in ensuring all of our valued guests feel special.

Again thank you for choosing to stay with us and we trust that we will see you in the near future.

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed August 20, 2012

We stayed at the Lawai Beach Resort for the first week in August this year. The location was perfect for us. We were only minutes from Brennecke Beach which was great for boogie boarding...nice big waves in the summertime there...and then there was the calm Poipu Beach right next to it. We alternated between big waves and swimming in the calm ocean, and the two beaches were about a 2 minute walk from each other...life doesn't get much better than that! The resort was also close to 2 little markets at the roundabout that had pretty much everything you would need. There was a little mall with restaurants and a Starbucks only five minutes away from the condo too. The grounds at Lawai Beach are beautifully kept. People are constantly cleaning up and checking the pool and grounds areas. We were very impressed. At first we were disappointed to find out we were staying in a ground level condo, but we were actually able to see part of the ocean from our lanai anyway, so we ended up loving the location of our room. It was just steps away from one of the smaller pools and only a 3 minute walk to the main pool which was beautiful with all of the flowers and plants surrounding it. Our room was quite nice. The kitchen was really stocked well with everything you would need. We could tell that the kitchen had been redone, and there were new, flat screen TVs in both bedrooms and the living room. We didn't have any problems with it being too hot in our room. We did keep the sliding doors and the back bedroom windows open while we were home, so the cross ventilation cooled the rooms and kept everything smelling fresh. I have put off going to Kauai for years because I was worried about there being no air conditioning at so many of the condos there, but it truly isn't needed. There was always a breeze and we were always comfortable in our condo. We wished we had had a washer and dryer in our room since we are used to that, but there was a free laundry room about 3 doors down from us that we could use, so that was handy. We loved being in the Banyan Building where the mini golf, work out room and tennis courts were. We enjoyed having a few drinks and hitting that mini golf at night. We were surprised to have the little course to ourselves many times...where was everybody? Although the resort was full, it never seemed crowded! It was really nice watching the sunset and seeing the tiki torches at the Beach House Restaurant in the evenings. Although we didn't eat there, it looked lovely inside. We got Fish and Chips at the Shrimp Shack and ate on the grass by the restaurant...same beautiful sunset and MUCH cheaper! I highly recommend the Lawai Beach Resort as a place to stay if you are visiting Kauai. There is so much to do there and the location is great, the staff is friendly, and you really get the "island feel" while staying at this resort on the south side of the island. Thanks to everyone at the resort who made our stay so special! We WILL be back soon!

Room Tip: We liked the Banyan Building because the mini golf, tennis court and workout equipment were on the r...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Jill P
Aloha,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comment in regards to your recent stay with us. I was happy to hear that you truly enjoyed our location and services. Our team takes pride in ensuring all of our valued guests feel special and can experience that "Island feeling."
Again thank you for taking the time to post your comment.

Corpus Christi, Texas
Reviewed August 20, 2012

The Lawai Beach Resort is wonderful! The units are very roomy and updated. It had a big kitchen with everything we needed to cook with, nice dining area inside, but we usually ate on the patio. The washer and dryer in the unit was so nice to have. This is the first trip we've ever taken where we took home all clean clothes!! The pool area and grounds were beautiful and very well manicured. The location of this resort was one of the highlights, because just across the street is a fabulous place to snorkle and to watch the surfers. In front of the Beach House Restaurant was a perfect place to sit and watch the sunset, the surfers, and just a wonderful place to soak up the island's offerings, not to mention that the Beach House makes a fantastic raspberry lemon drop martini!
I would love to stay at this resort again, and hopefully will!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Katrina G
Aloha,

Thank you for taking the time to post your positive review of your recent stay at the Lawai Beach Resort. I was happy to read that you found the accommodations and the surrounding area comfortable.

Again thank you for taking the time to post your review.

Owen
Also consider these accommodations in or near Poipu
Koloa
Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club
Kauai Beach Resort
#4 of 11 in Lihue
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,244 reviews
Koloa
Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa

Been to Lawai Beach Resort? Share your experiences!