“this must be what heaven looks like”

Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Poipu
GreenLeadersSilver level
Massapequa, New York
“this must be what heaven looks like”
Reviewed June 17, 2014

This resort is beautiful! We had such a wonderful stay for our honeymoon. The staff were all exceptional. They sent champagne to the room which was so nice, along with a free cabana rental and a few other treats. It's only about a half hour away from the airport too, right on poipu beach

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,427)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Gilbert, Arizona
Reviewed June 17, 2014

My family of four, myself, husband and 2 daughters, recently spent 10 nights at the Grand Hyatt. We totally loved it! There is nothing not to like about this resort. The rooms are spacious and well-appointed, the grounds are beautifully landscaped, the pool area is set up such that you don't feel crowded in and is suitable for everyone from very small children on up. Due to the fact that we all wanted a rest on this vacation, we spent several days sitting at the pool. There are lots of chairs and quite a few umbrellas. You can rent a cabana if you choose, but we were always able to find enough shade to cover 4 chairs adequately. The pools themselves are very nice, perfect temperature to feel refreshed. There are pool floats available at the pool shop for a very reasonable price and really added to our enjoyment of the pool. As for the restaurants at the resort, we ate the breakfast buffet everyday, lunch at the pool many days and dinner on the terrace on a few days. All of the food was very good, albeit a bit pricey. My husband and I enjoyed the Mai Tai's quite a bit, but at $14.00 a piece we really had to pace ourselves. There is not much around the resort to get breakfast at so I would suggest planning to eat there. The staff is exceptionally helpful and made us feel very welcome. The concierge helped us with ziplining plans that worked out very well for us. This is one of the most relaxing vacations we have had and I would recommend the Grand Hyatt to anyone!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the pool side of the resort, saves a lot of walking if you plan to go to the pool.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank ptrimsail
Creve Coeur, Missouri
Reviewed June 17, 2014

There were several things I absolutely loved about this property. First of all, the staff were exemplary. They embodied courtesy and professionalism. The food at the buffet breakfast was amazing. The views were spectacular, the pool was the largest and nicest I have ever seen. Our room was exceptionally clean, and listening to my 10-year-old daughter figuring out the bidet was entertainment within itself.

What bothered me - there were several sections, particularly in the hallways, where light sconces were askew, wallpaper was peeling (it's open air with huge humidity - who thought wallpaper was a good idea?) and service items left outside of room doors would sit an inordinate amount of time. I also didn't like being nickeled and dimed to death. Maybe it's my Midwestern side showing, or maybe the Grand Hyatt expects all of their clientele to be so well-heeled that an extra hundred dollars a day for drinks under a sun shade is negligible. We are not those people. Could we have technically afforded to do that? Yes. It's the principle that prevented us from indulging. $70 to sit in the shade just seems like extortion to me. These were the objective things that I found detracting from our stay.

Subjectively, I was overwhelmed by how gigantic the property is. Finding my way to our room took awhile. I could have stayed there a month and not seen it all. Also, when dining at the buffet, the birds come in and swarm any unattended food. So you have to leave someone at your table to guard. Birds freak me out (which is why this is in the subjective section) so having 15-20 birds circling overhead while we ate was somewhat disconcerting. Lastly, and this is SUPER subjective, were some of the fellow travelers. I overheard one woman complaining that the hash browns were gross because she prefers McDonald's style (!!) and there were several Veruca Salt-type children for whom the Grand Hyatt in Hawaii was clearly just another boring weekend.

I think what I've learned from this trip is that next time we come to Hawaii, we'll get a nice condo, but that's a result of the subjective analysis. If you like being pampered at a big resort, hemorrhage money, and don't mind eating with attack birds and entitled children, then you'll love this place.

Room Tip: You get what you pay for. If you don't spend much time in the actual room, then don't spend...
Green Features: We loved that there was recycling in our room and all over the property.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank Bucklebear
Holderness, New Hampshire
Reviewed June 17, 2014

Enjoyed the understated luxury and beauty of this fine resort. Customer service was exemplary. Everyone was there to please. Restaurant (for the evening meal) was also exemplary (both food and service). Well run and well done!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 16, 2014 via mobile

This place is beautiful! Our partial ocean view was exactly what we were expecting. Our room was plenty big and loved having a lanai. Everything is super clean and kept up well. All the staff we encountered were friendly and helpful. The pools and ocean front property are amazing. We can't wait to come back!!

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Milwaukee, WI
Reviewed June 13, 2014

We kicked our recent honeymoon off with 3 nights at the Grand Hyatt. We were greeted with leis and bottles of water upon arrival. I went to check in as my husband pulled the car around to the self park lot. Check in was relatively quick - although after having just arrived, getting our rental car and navigated over to the property I was a little flustered and the hotel grounds are huge and sprawling. The gal checking me in went over the map quickly - mostly pointing out the pools, restaurants and spa. Upon hearing it was our honeymoon she said they would send up a bottle of bubbly for us to celebrate with - although it never did show up.

We pulled our luggage (with me wishing the whole time we had just done valet and let the bellman take the bags for us!) around the grounds for a while trying to figure out how to get to our room (did I mention the grounds were large and sprawling). We finally made it and once we dropped the bags saw our room with views of the pools and ocean. The lanai was quite large with two chairs and a table. The room was spacious and nice - some spots were faded or worn looking but overall it was clean and completely acceptable.

We decided to wander about to try and get used to the layout - took us about 10 minutes to find our way to the pools and then eventually down to the beach. The grounds are beautiful and although we could tell there were tons of guests on the property I never felt crowded or terribly bothered by other people.

The beach to the far left (I think it is called shipwreck beach?) was quite busy and had a lot of surf. We popped down on the sand for a bit to watch all the boogie boarders - very entertaining.

We mostly had food at the terrace restaurant as it had easier availability for walk up and we were really not planning this trip. Service was excellent once someone noticed us at a table - although that took a pretty long time. Luckily we had quite a view to distract us.

The valets would give you bottles of water and towel anytime you were leaving the property - which is a great touch! Many times we were off to hike or just explore and the water/towels came in handy. The parking lot is pretty large and we never had issues finding a spot.

Overall - the resort is beautiful, everyone was friendly and once we figured out the layout it was fairly easy (if time consuming) to navigate to the various locations. The lanai was very useful to dry out swimsuits and snorkel gear. Make sure to check out the black and white swans - totally adorable.

The shower was excellent and the bath products smelled amazing!

I would consider staying here again if we were going to stay on the south side of Kauai.

Room Tip: We had rooms facing the pools - came with an ocean view but it could be noisy if there were a lot of...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Cailet
Reviewed June 12, 2014 via mobile

We recently stayed at three Hyatt hotels in Hawaii, and our four nights at Grand Hyatt Kauai was by far the standout.

While a very large resort catering to lots of people, it never once felt crowded or noisy. Pool view room was spacious, quiet and comfortable. Anara spa products in room are divine.

All the staff we encountered were so lovely and friendly. Lots of great memories made. Not to mention the best omelettes I've ever had!

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Deanne E
Also consider these accommodations in or near Poipu
Kauai Beach Resort
#4 of 11 in Lihue
Koloa
Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club
Koloa
Koa Kea Hotel & Resort

Been to Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!