“Excellent hotel for a special occassion”

Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Poipu
GreenLeadersSilver level
London
“Excellent hotel for a special occassion”
Reviewed April 23, 2014

We stayed here for a week during our Honeymoon so were happy to splash out a little extra to make it special. Even though it was nearly 7 months ago I can still remember the outstanding first impression this hotel gave us!

The view from the lobby through to the sea is simply breath taking! After a lot of flying and arriving very hot and tired we were greeted with a friendly welcome and shown appreciation that we had come a long way (from the UK) and were on a very special holiday.

Our room was a Deluxe Ocean View - quite a walk away but well worth it, the view over the ocean was exactly what we had imagined in Hawaii. The large double basin bathroom was very nice and the huge bed plenty comfortable. We were also provided with a bottle of champagne on arrival in our room - a lovely touch.
Breakfast was very, very good! After a few days the staff knew our name and always greeted everyone with a smile. The view from breakfast was one of our favourite parts of each day and the food was great - nice selection to cater for every taste.
We ate at all the restaurants and they were lovely, if very expensive! But the service was excellent.
There were plenty of useful shops in the hotel, again a little pricey but very convenient.
The pool complex was brilliant. We used the Adult pool (a nice touch) mostly but loved the easy and fun access from here down through all the pools and lazy river and especially enjoyed the slides.
We like large hotels and enjoyed wandering the grounds in both the daytime and evenings.

The luau was very good, great all you can eat food and drinks included - the entertainment was excellent, definitely worth going.

We used the spa for a few treatments and found it to be very pleasant, the service was very good and the atmosphere exactly what you would expect of a 5 star hotel spa - but again expensive!

Lastly what a great location for exploring this magical island! Definitely hire a car and get out there to see as much as you can - we cannot recommend Kauai enough and the Grand Hyatt was a fantastic place to stay for our Honeymoon.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank KB13AJ

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,416)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Reviewed April 21, 2014

The grounds of the hotel are beautiful. The staff is great too. Some areas of the hotel are showing their age like the restaurants, hallways and carpets. Hyatt should spend the money to keep this property up to par.
The room is spacious. The bathroom is fabulous too.
I don't give it 5 stars as I believe that some areas are showing their age.

Room Tip: Book by the pool.
Green Features: Love the health conscious foods and environmentally friendly practices.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed April 21, 2014 via mobile

By the start of me reviewing this as someone who has been here that many times you might wonder why I come here so much with so many great places in the world - simply the location and experience are excellent but I have navigated this place to my own happy place experience

Do's First

1. Book the Shipwreck Wing and you will be near everything, request a room facing the upper pool if possible.
2. Stop at either Costco or Walmart and load up on drinks and food, this place is obscenely expensive, request an additional refrigerator when you check in
3. Attend the Torch Lighting at least once and the Luau is excellent, the food is "okay" but make sure you get in line one hour prior to the show so you get a seat in front. Don't listen to them tell you 30 minutes in advance is plenty
4. Use the gym, it's super nice and they have really great services like yoga and other things that are included
5. Self Park for sure, the lot is close and if your in the Shipwreck Wing your right near the parking
6. Bring laundry pods or liquid detergent so you can wash laundry, the washers and dryers are free otherwise
7. Go to the Stevenson Library and shoot pool or have a cocktail on live music nights
8. Non Hotel Tip One - you must go to the Polihale Beach atleast once, it's a must experience, bring water and drinks and preferably have already used the facilities
9. Non Hotel Tip Two - go snorkeling at Tunnels Beach (bring gear you rent) and check out Secret Beach
10. Non Hotel Tip Three - try the Jack Harter open door helicopter, it costs a little more but so worth it

Dont's Or Be Aware's

1. Eat at the hotel, maybe just sparingly, the snack bar just changed to a wait service approach and jacked up prices. Dondero's is lousy at best, Tidepools is hit and miss and Illima's Terrace is great but tiring to eat buffet each day. Try eating at the golf course if you are on the Costco meal plan.
2. The Seaview Terrace for quick food is crazy expensive, plain cheese pizza only 14 inches in diameter is 18 plus tax and tip - so many great options near the hotel
3. Beware of the 50 and up cabana costs, I usually put my towels out by 830 and it's all good
4. Understand that outside guests, in other words people visiting you, can get you kicked out of the pool area
5. Recognize that the only place to get towels (striped) and wrist bands for the waterslide is at the Recreation Desk which is NOT convenient for the whole property
6. The property charges a 25 a day resort fee typical of nice resorts, just the price you pay
7. The beach at the property is NO JOKE dangerous so watch the undertow, I almost broke my neck there a few times and think I'm a pretty strong and fit adult
8. Don't order food at the Captains Bar, usually slow and the food is cold because they have to carry it there
9. Don't forget to carefully review your bill upon checkout, things seem to magically appear
10. Don't be obvious about bringing room drinks outside to the pool, obviously they want you to order theirs and I naturally oblige since its their hotel.

If you like this review please mark it as "helpful" so over time others can see it too!

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
54 Thank TahoeBlue66
Columbia, Missouri
Reviewed April 19, 2014 via mobile

Others have already said this, but seriously, if you do not like BIG, then don't stay here. If you have a family and want a place to stay that has lots of things to do for every age, this is your place. We were fine spending most of our time at the hotel. We had a great ocean view, but a long walk to the pools and activities. The staff was very helpful and friendly. There are some washer/dryers available for guests for free (pay for detergent and softener), but it was first come-first serve and again, quite a walk from our room. Eating here is expensive (we did not have a package that included any food), but plenty of less expensive options close by. If you have a car. We would stay here again.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank CindyL82
United States
Reviewed April 19, 2014

I can certainly see why some would love this place. It's a nice resort. I think the selling point, for families, would be the swimming pool complex/salt water lagoon.

We are a couple in our early thirties who were traveling without kids. We did take a dip in the pool, and found the water to be very, very cold. The kids nearby didn't seem to mind a bit; they were lost in play. But I think most adults would find the temperature of the pool water quite chilly, especially at a pretty pricey resort. Also, there are hot tubs, but we had to swim through the cold pool water to reach an "island" hot tub...which means we also had to swim back through the cold pool water to get out. Eh :/

The beach is generally not very safe for swimming, but we did find it to be beautiful, and we watched some local kids surfing, which was great. We also explored some of the Mahaulepu Heritage Trail, which starts at the beach there. Nice, but you don't have to stay at the resort to experience these things.

The resort is huge, but I have been to huge resorts that don't feel so sterile. We found the grounds to be almost over-manicured. There is just so much natural beauty on the island, and this resort gave us the impression of a manufactured paradise.

The one place I would have appreciated some manufactured paradise would be our room, but it was oddly dull and...kind of ugly. Definitely clean, but pretty drab.

I have really enjoyed many large resorts. My husband and I adore the Marriott in Lihue, which was nearly $100/night cheaper for us. I don't mind being around families with young children, or convention goers, or having to walk a lot to get around a large resort.

The Grand Hyatt just didn't wow us for the price. I can't say I would discourage anyone from staying there, but I doubt we would again. We just think there are better priced places on the island that have as much, if not more, to offer.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank travelsmile12
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed April 18, 2014 via mobile

The hallways could use a makeover - wallpaper peeling and torn in many places and the dingy lighting makes the hallways dark and creepy. Other than that, this resort is perfect. The room was large and immaculate. Thebathroom was beautiful. Staff were friendly and helpful. We had a wonderful time wandering the spectacular grounds. Will definately go back again.

• Stayed April 2014
Los Angeles
Reviewed April 18, 2014

his is our 4th visit to what used to be the Hyatt Regency Kauai. It may also be our last. Things appear to have really gone downhill here. Some very informed long-time staff confirmed that this is NOT the place it used to be. Not only has the name changed, but a management turnover in from David Sears to Jerry Westenhaven in 2011 appears to have stripped the remaining Aloha out of this resort and staff. I would no longer recommend this property to couples or singles without children. If you like amusement parks and a lively atmosphere for all ages, please do come! In our opinion, although it used to do an excellent job delivering both family AND adult service, those days appear to have sadly vanished. SO have a lot of the great staff that used to make us feel like we were litterally 'ohana' from the moment we arrived. Some even knew us by name. At that time, they never questioned if we belonged, or made us feel ignored like this visit did. Instead we found a disaffected and unhappy staff. Speaking to some old-timers here, we know that they too may not be in favor with the corporate direction Hyatt has taken this resort in. It really showed, and saddened us from the moment we arrived. Most noticibly is there are litterally unattended children everwhere. Don't get me wrong, I love kids, just not so many, and all at once! There was no adult sanctuary left other than the spa. Even the adult pool had been converted into a soak-zone by several loud tweens, followed by a conga-line of unconcerned parents with toddlers in innertubes and no staff other than landscapers to be seen. To add to the mess, you are also are now made to wear a paper carnival wristband if you want to use the pools which I politely tried to turn down. I'm still not sure why they have the bands, is there a security problem from the public beach? To add to the confusion and insult not everyone wears one, or has to, and especially not the children who seemed to have free reign from the Grand Club Lounge to the lagoons. Thankfully there was ONE place left for respite or romance on the property other than your room, the Anara Spa. At least there is seldom anyone there, a full lap pool, hot tub, steam and after some complaints a functioning sauna. Yes, it is adults only, gender separate and clothing optional as it should be. Thee only thing needed for entry was a smile. After a week I feel like I've had the spa facilities practically all to myself. However, if they renamed the property again to something like The Hyatt Hawaiian Adventure Park, it would better describe the ambience you should expect to encounter.

Green Features: I spent a good deal of time cleaning trash off Shipwrecks Beach where the property lies. I'm not sure what the hotel's policy was, but I felt that any policy is simply green coloured lip-service given the beer cans, paper bracelets and hotel food-trays I brought back to discard properly.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
9 Thank doctorzin
Also consider these accommodations in or near Poipu
Kauai Beach Resort
#4 of 11 in Lihue
Koloa
Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club
Koloa
Koa Kea Hotel & Resort

Been to Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!