“Can't wait to return!”

Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Poipu
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed March 23, 2014

We stayed here for 5 nights over New Year's Eve. The hotel is located on one of the driest parts of the island, which means you are essentially guaranteed perfect weather, regardless of the time of year. The hotel ground are beautiful and the beach and pool areas are spacious.

We had an ocean view room and found it clean and comfortable. The newly renovated bathrooms feel luxurious. Our room was in a building close to the pool; the gym/spa is about a 5 minute walk away. The gym is a good size for a large hotel, but could use newer equipment.

I liked that fitness classes were offered each day. I took the sunrise yoga class overlooking the beach and loved it (you can see water spouts from the whales during the winter months!). I didn't like the morning cardio sculpt class I took; the instructor had an abrasive style of interacting with the class.

For the most part, we were pleased with the service during our stay. William from Buffalo, NY took our bags to the room and was very helpful. He went above and beyond when he noticed we bought cereal at the Walmart near the airport and had room service send up bowls and spoons for us to use.

We had mixed reviews of the concierge desk. We emailed them in advance to make arrangements for our stay and they either didn't respond to the emails or weren't very helpful. I'm sure they were overwhelmed with the hotel running at full capacity during the holidays, but it was still disappointing. They did, however, help us plan a zip line/kayak/ hiking tour on New Years Day, which was very fun.

The sushi at the Stevenson's Library restaurant is excellent-among the best we've had. The food at Tidepools restaurant and breakfast at the Terrace restaurant were good. The food by the pool is decent.

We loved staying here. It was very relaxing to lay by the pool and there are so many activities to do in Kauai. We can't wait to return.

RECOMMENDATIONS
*I recommend booking any tours/excursions in advance over the holidays. We didn't realize how many activities would be sold out during our stay.

*I recommend Sun Kissed Kauai for spray tanning. They will come to your room to provide the service.

*I recommend stopping at the Walmart near the Lihue airport to get cereal, granola bars, sunscreen, etc.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank nyctraveljunkies

Reviewed March 22, 2014

Spent 5 days here before heading up to a timeshare trade in Princeville. We should have gone to the timeshare first and ended our Kauai stay with the Grand Hyatt as our last stop, I cannot even completely put into words how gorgeous and well maintained and managed this property is. The people who work here are so accommodating and pleasant. Even though we had no view of the ocean or pool, our room was very pleasant. We were rather disappointed initially that yet again we were assigned a room over a parking lot which often happens to us, especially with a timeshare. But this wasn't a bad view at all as they had the parking lot concealed with beautiful landscaping and we weren't in the room much anyway. We just wanted to enjoy the pool, ocean, restaurants, and especially The Terrace where we spent most of our evenings and mornings whale watching. Just love it here. I am so glad we got to experience this exceptional property. I locked us out of the safe and they were so nice. Security came and tried to make me feel better by saying I'm not supposed to remember codes on vacation. Then, I forgot to take off the do not disturb off the door. We were out all day and our room, naturally, wasn't made up thanks to me. The staff scurried in like busy bees and made the room up in no time and again just as pleasant as can be even though their day was ended. It's just wonderful all the way down to the pillows and robes. One minor complaint, the rooms are dark. Not enough light in the bedroom area. Bathroom lighting is great though. It's a very well managed property.

Room Tip: We were on the bottom floor of building 3 near the frisbee golf and the tennis courts. It was very...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Rainbow8
Reviewed March 22, 2014

One of the most beautiful hotels I've ever stayed at. This hotel is very big - we were lucky to be in a great location that wasn't too far from the main lobby and pool so it wasn't alot of walking. The trail in front of the hotel is PERFECTION at early morning to walk and to watch the sunrise. Sitting in the lobby having starbucks coffee watching the sunrise from the enormous open air lobby is an experience you won't forget and worth getting up at 6:45 every day! It isn't a "swimming" beach, but the beaches 5 minutes in either way are, so it's not a big deal. The hotel has thought of everything - they even have umbrellas by the doors to borrow in case it rains (which it does!). Restaurants are great, staff is amazingly accomodating. Arrival and checkin was smooth and fast. They made us feel very welcome (like royalty actually!) after a very long day of traveling. It's a quiet hotel, not alot of nightlife but the beauty of the hotel is stunning and EXTREMELY WELL MAINTAINED!

Room Tip: Ask for a room near the lobby. We were upgraded to a hotel with an ocean view. Call or email a cou...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed March 21, 2014

Our first visit to Kauai, and we wanted it to be perfect. The reviews all indicated that the Grand Hyatt would not disappoint, and we certainly were not. Stunning grounds, excellent service, very good food, and an amazing pool area (especially the adult section with the lazy river). Enjoyed two meals at Tidepools; one was spot on, one had some service issues but passable. Really enjoyed Stevenson' Library and their drinks and sushi. We will return no doubt. Worth every penny.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DereknPaul
GHKauai, Public Relations Manager at Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 31, 2014

Aloha DereknPaul,
Mahalo for taking the time to share your observations about our resort. Glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and you hit on most of my favorite things about the resort (adult pool, lazy river pool, sushi @ Stevenson's and Tidepools) but missed one, did you not make it to Anara Spa? If not, next time you'll have to go. It's an oasis within. We look forwrad to your next visit.
Enjoy your day, Diann

Reviewed March 21, 2014

We stayed at the Grand Hyatt Kauai for our one-week honeymoon. After arriving by rental car, the valets greeted us with leis, unloaded the car and took our bags. Check-in was full of that aloha spirit that typifies the Hawaiian Islands--smiles, warm and genuine greetings, and a general pleasure to serve.

We were upgraded into a pool-view room in the Shipwreck wing. We specified the Shipwreck wing because we wanted to be near the upper pool area. (We walked over to the Poipu wing a couple times, and we noticed it was a long, long trek if you wanted to be at the pool. But, it is definitely quieter in the Poipu wing--not that the Shipwreck wing was loud by any means.) We were on the fourth floor, and overlooked one of the upper pools. You could hear people walking and at the pool from our balcony, but it never disturbing. The only downside of our room was that it was west-facing room. This meant our balcony was in the direct, hot afternoon sun, and we could not be out there until the sun set. (This is a minor complaint, as we had plenty of places to go to instead.)

As part of the perks of being on our honeymoon, the Grand Hyatt sent up a bottle of champagne and chocolates, both of which were delicious. The hotel also gave free dessert at one of their restaurants. The best gift the hotel provided though, was a one-day free cabana rental by the pool. We liked it so much, we ended up renting a cabana for two more days. (Tip: we liked the cabanas in the upper pool areas as they were quieter than the ones in the lower pool areas. Our favorite was Cabana #3 at the adults-only pool.) (Another tip: if they have cabanas available after noon, you can rent one at half-price.)

The main attraction of the Grand Hyatt is the pools. It's structured like a lazy-river, with the first pool being an adults-only pool, which then connects to a family pool. Then, the lazy river winds around the top, underneath bridges and around waterfalls, to a surprisingly fast, twisty slide down to the lower pools. If you're taking it at a leisurely pace, it takes about 20 minutes from start to finish. The only complaint I would have is that once you're at the end (down at the bottom in the large main pool), you have to schlep back up to the your place near the adult pools via lots of stairs. But, in the whole scheme of things, this is a very minor complaint. The pool is so overwhelming (in a good way) that you forget you are right on the beach. (Granted you're not supposed to swim at the beach because of the heavy currents, but we forgot to walk on the beach until the last day!)

As is typical of many of the large resort hotels, we found the food at the restaurants ok and acceptable, but thoroughly overpriced. We had the breakfast buffet (it was fine, but the one at the Grand Wailea blows this one away), ate at Stevenson's, and at Tidepools. Two exceptions were (1) the informal dinner we had in the lounge while watching the hula show (the flatbread pizzas were delicious) and (2) breakfast at the golf club (about a 5 to 10 minute walk away)--it's an à la carte menu with typical breakfast items with a Hawaiian twist. Since we had a rental car, we were able to drive to the nearby towns to eat as well. While higher than Mainland prices, many of the local places were much more reasonably priced than the Grand Hyatt.

We've been coming to the Islands for many, many years, and the Grand Hyatt is an outstanding example of fitting right in. It exudes a tropical, Hawaiian atmosphere from its open-air lobby and atrium, to the landscaping, to the furniture and decor. Every night there was a local hula or music performance in one of the lounges overlooking the ocean.

All in all, we had a wonderful honeymoon here at the Grand Hyatt, thanks in part to its location, the spectacular pool areas, and most importantly, the staff. We will return here in a heartbeat.

(As a final note, if you're there on a Tuesday, the drink special at the pool bar is a Guava Bliss. Try it. You won't be disappointed.)

Room Tip: Avoid a west-facing room as the hot, Hawaiian afternoon sun will make your balcony unusable. If you...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank McMax
Reviewed March 20, 2014

We stayed in Grand Hyatt for 4 days and we really loved it. The price of this hotel is towards the higher side but all worth it. We reached the hotel at around 9 PM but there were people to welcome us with an orchid garland. The check-in was very quick and smooth and since we were traveling with our one year old, that made a lot of difference.

Our room was a partial ocean front room and we could see the pool too. The room was comfortable and bathroom was considerably large with his and her sinks. Next day we stayed in and just relaxed at the hotel. Our daughter really enjoyed the activities at the hotel like fish feeding and parrot talk. And as for me and my husband we had a really nice time at the "The Grand Hyatt Luau". The breakfast was good too with a lot of different options and they change the menu everyday. My favorite was the freshly squeezed guava juice. The pool area is quite large with lot of options i.e. Adult pool, Jacuzzi, a salt water lagoon and to top it off a water slide. The concierge was very helpful in planning activities for the rest of our stay.

Overall we had a very enjoyable time at this resort and would recommend it to anyone traveling to Kauai.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Pranjali I
Reviewed March 19, 2014

I have had the privilege of staying at the Kauai Hyatt a few times. The first time was for a work-related trip, in which I spent most of my time in more modest accommodations in Waimea before treating myself to one night here. It was so nice that I did all I could to persuade my family that going on vacation in Kauai would be a good idea and that we should stay at the Hyatt.

My powers of persuasion worked, and we returned there for a week. Unfortunately, we went during the summer and could reserve only the first three nights of our trip at the Hyatt. I warned my family that they would feel disappointed when we would have to move to a different hotel, because few places are as nice as the Hyatt, and I was unfortunately correct.

The rooms are clean, large, and tastefully decorated. The hotel is kind of spread out, so you might have to walk a long way to get to your room. Regular rooms are nice, and oceanfront suites are obviously pretty incredible.

The best things about the hotel, in my opinion, are the swimming pools. They have many of them, and the only one that wasn't particularly interesting was the two lane lap pool located at the spa. That being said, there's a good chance that you can go there and get the whole lane to yourself. On the other hand, there's a saltwater pool with a beach that allows you to swim a few hundred yards or so, and it's nicely landscaped with rocks and plants all over it. There's a meandering pool lined with granite that features an excellent waterslide. There's another meandering granite pool with a current that allows you either to get a workout by swimming against it or to drift down to the end of it. The river one has a cave. The other one has an island with a hot tub in it. With pools like this, who needs beaches?

Which brings me to my biggest non-complaint complaint about the Hyatt. It's close to Poipu beach, which is one of the world's most beautiful beaches. But my wife and son were disappointed with Poipu because they had gotten spoiled by the pools at the Hyatt. At least they weren't disappointed by the north shore beaches, which I can't imagine anything manmade ever upstaging.

This is a Grand Hyatt, so food and amenities are expectedly high quality but expensive. The hotel is a short drive to Koloa and a reasonable drive away from Lihue and Kapa'a, so it's not that hard to find something cheaper and even get some good local food. But, as I mentioned before, you end up getting so incredibly comfortable at the hotel that sometimes you just don't want to leave.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank David G
Also consider these accommodations in or near Poipu
Koloa
Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club
Kauai Beach Resort
#4 of 11 in Lihue
Koloa
Koa Kea Hotel & Resort

Been to Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!