“Gorgeous Pools”

Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Poipu
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed December 11, 2013

Our room faced the pool area with a partial ocean view. Gorgeous! The beds were comfortable and we loved that there was a small fridge. The only negative thing about the room was the air conditioner. Even though someone came up to take a look at it, it was still not cold. Thankfully there are ceiling fans in the room.
As for food, we did not eat at the hotel so I cannot comment on the restaurants. Since Old Koloa Town is nearby, we drove there two nights in a row to grab dinner at Sueoka's Snack Shop. Love this place! Inexpensive and delicious. It is cash only. If you want a sit down restaurant, Poipu Shopping Village is nearby. We ate at Keoki's Paradise and stopped by Whalers for snacks and drinks.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa

Reviewed December 11, 2013 via mobile

We enjoyed a 5 night stay at the Grand Hyatt. The room was very nice, but be aware the in room "chiller" is not a refrigerator. It kept a couple of water bottles cool, not cold. The wifi in the main loby area and conference room were good, but in our room it was just frustrating. There is a beach, but swiming is not recommended.
All that said, it is a beautiful hotel complex. Self parking is close and seems secure. We did like it alot, but why their in room wifi is so bad, no one could say.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 10, 2013

Stayed there for my husband's birthday over the weekend. Beautiful entrance, pool, spa, overall facilities! Loved my room, spacious and service was awesome. Can't wait to go back and take my children to enjoy the pools!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 10, 2013

Im a local and we go to Hyatt for day-offs. The location is quiet and semi-secluded, however with about 15 minutes of drive you will reach Big-Save, which is a local supermarket for grocery. There are few restaurants there and I highly recommend Yum-Cha for dinner. Swim pools in Hyatt are excellent, there's salt water pool and man-made beach as well. Overall five stars.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank walterpan
Reviewed December 9, 2013

But very expensive hotel!! Went on a tour with travel agents of this hotel back in 1996 and swore someday I would be back. It took 17 years, but I made it back and it was absolutely worth the wait. The staff were amazing, the pool and lagoon were amazing. My one criticism was everything was just so outrageously expensive. We could only afford the most basic room (room 1003) which was about as far from the main hotel as you could get. Normally I don't like ground floor rooms, but I was pleased with this one as my son was able to go outside and play football with a little friend he made a few doors down. Also, there were hammocks right outside the room and they were nice to relax in during twilight. The hotel was not very busy, there were plenty of chairs available at the pools.

It really had the best pool I have ever seen at any hotel and my son would have stayed there all day, every day. The pool area really pleased both my 9 year old and my 16 year old. Something for everyone.

We had a package that included the breakfast buffet. I really don't like buffets as I think people make pigs of themselves and there is a lot of waste. Personally, I would just prefer a "food credit" and use it at other meals (probably because breakfast isn't really our favorite meal). I will say the pineapple at the breakfast was the best pineapple I have ever eaten.

Even though 7 nights cost us over $5,000 (and we were very conservative in our dining and drinking on the premises), I would definitely like to return. It just may take me a lifetime to save up again.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank NYDub
Reviewed December 9, 2013

As you walk in the view is stunning. Looks fake. I only wish the pictures I took could do the lobby justice. The staff at this hotel were exceptional. I wish I remembered everyone's name but the nice lady who greeted us (was about to have a baby) to the waitress a breakfast who remembered everyone's name, what they drank the previous day and just made you want to have a good day with the positive attitude she gave to the wonderful waitress at the pool (Joslin, I think). They were all fabulous.

The hotel room was a room. Clean, nice bed, nothing super special.
Had a mini fridge which they stocked with bottled water each day.
Bathroom was nice, not the best i have every seen but plenty of room.
Cool toilet!

The grounds were unbelievable. Pool that connects to pool that connects to pool that connects to pool that connects to ( you get my point). Plenty of chairs. Plenty of umbrella.
They also had their own lagoon (I think that is what they called it). It was a beach and salt water but you were not in the ocean.

I was a bit disappointed with the beach. They so strongly recommended that we don't enter the water that we went to other places to enjoy the beach.

All in all this place was perfect.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jcohen75
Reviewed December 9, 2013

We spent 10 days in early December on Kauai. I am a repeat visitor to the islands since I was a child and have been to a variety of accommodations on the islands including Mauai, Hawaii, Oahu, and Lanai. This was my first visit to Kauai.

We split our time between the St Regis in Princeville and the Grand Hyatt. There was no comparison between the two. We both were very disappointed with our accommodations and the service at the Grand Hyatt. The St Regis was a lot better in both regards.

To start with, we reserved a grand Club room package which was supposed to be an upgrade to a premium ocean view room. When we arrived, we were shown to a 4th floor room that had primary views of the garden area and terrace in front of the hotel and a small bit of ocean to the right. We were very disappointed given that we paid for and expected views of the ocean front. We called the desk and asked for a room change and they told us they were full for 3 nights and would place us on a wait list. We never heard back from them. Why sell us a subpar room if you are full? The full price of our package here was close to what we paid at the St Regis and our views at the St Regis were spectacular as well as the service.

The resort itself has a Disneyland type feel - very manufactured and not very natural. The food in the restaurants is pricey and ok. You are better off going off property to Roy's, The Kauai Food, truck and Puka Dog to get better quality food at the same or more reasonable prices.

On our last day, we wanted to book a spa afternoon since we had a late flight out. We called the spa and asked if we could modify either of their packages as we were not into one portion of their "lovers" package and thought we could substitute time with one activity versus another since we were not into the portion of the package where you massage your partner with salt and clay. They had zero flexibility on doing any sort of substitution even though we suggested several alternatives. Custom service is not on the menu here even though the full afternoon packages were very expensive.

I know this review sounds like we might be snobby luxury resort people but we are not. We love staying at hole in the walls as well and just want good value for our money. We paid a lot to stay here and the value just wasn't there.

To be fair in a full review, the views are very nice from the terrace and oceanfront and the hike at the south end of the property is beautiful. Snorkeling at nearby Poipu Beach Park is also wonderful.

I guess we were spoiled by the St Regis in Princeville but we just didn't enjoy our stay at the Hyatt nearly as much. The service difference between the two hotels was night and day.

We probably won't return but if we do, it will be for very limited time. Too bad. This could be a great property if they had more of a customer excellence/experience orientation.

Room Tip: Verify exactly the view you are getting. We paid for an upgrade from premium ocean view and got a cr...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Kayla H, Manager at Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded December 18, 2013

Aloha,

Mahalo for the time you took to share your experience with us as we appreciate all feedback from our guests. We regret to hear that your time with us did not exceed your expectations and we apologize for being unable to provide you with overall satisfaction while here.

Your comments regarding your stay will be shared with our Leadership team and we thank you for the opportunity to improve. Please know that it is never our intention to provide our guests with a service any less than superior as we strive to create memorable experiences and exceed expectations. Mahalo for being a guest with us here on the South Shore and we hope for the chance to welcome you back for another try.

Happy Holidays to you and your family.

Warmest Aloha & Mahalo,
Kayla H.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Poipu
Kauai Beach Resort
#4 of 11 in Lihue
Koloa
Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club
Koloa
Koa Kea Hotel & Resort

Been to Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!