“Beautiful Resort”

Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Poipu
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed November 23, 2013

My wife and I are currently on our way back from a wonderful trip to Kauai to celebrate our anniversary. We had a wonderful stay at the Grand Hyatt and didn't notice some of the negatives mentioned by other travelers. The resort is beautiful and really stands out from the other nearby resorts in Poipu. My wife and I like to stay at nice hotels, but we certainly are not high rollers. The Grand Hyatt proved to be a great spot to spend our first trip away from our baby. We spent 3 days hanging around the salt water lagoon which was very refreshing and the rest of our time exploring the island. A few observations and notes that may be helpful:

1) Kauai is much more of what I envisioned Hawaii to be like. I previously went on a trip to Oahu and Kauai has it beat, hands down.
2) All of the locals we encountered were very warm and friendly. My wife was sick most of our trip and everyone seemed to be genuinely concerned about her health. Even the local doctor was very helpful and took her without an appointment.
3) If you like to lie on the beach all day, then Kauai is your place. If you like adventure, the Kauai is your place. We like both.
4) Don't trust your Weather Channel app on your phone. We were scheduled for daylong rain for most of the trip and got nothing but sunshine for all but 2 days.

We sunbathed, hiked, surfed, shopped, explored via helicopter and relaxed all in one week. God willing, we will be back to this majestic island once again. Go for it......book your trip.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank msd2150

Reviewed November 22, 2013 via mobile

Hotel location is very good
The staff is very attentive and proactive. Breakfast variety has a lots of choice. The service is beyond your expectation

• Stayed: May 2013
2  Thank 值得推薦的聚餐場所
Reviewed November 22, 2013

I want to say first of all that I was staying at the Kauai while on travel so my expectations might be skewed.

I wasn't so dissatisfied with my stay as much as I was about the way the shady business practices. For example, the concierge was helpful when my wife and booked an excursion on my weekend off but almost took my credit card without giving me a final price. I had to ask for a final price. I don't think that I should have to ask for the total. It should always be presented before payment is taken. They also failed to ever mention that the prices that were quoted were per person so reading off $156 which initially sounds reasonable becomes instantly less reasonable. Based on my interaction with them it seems to me like they're encouraged to take people's money without telling them a final price.

Here's another example: the resort fees/overall cost was also enormous! Even with the discounted rate, the total cost ended up being almost $300/night with all applicable taxes and fees. Not all of them are advertised on the website when booking so it came as a surprise when the taxes alone were $30+ per night. I cannot even imagine what the cost would have been if I had stayed at the resort at the $350/night rate. Most resorts that I've been too at that price are all inclusive. Seriously, at these prices I would have expected some freebees like UNRESTRICTED internet or breakfast that didn't cost $15 per person.

My final gripe is a big one. There are NO affordable places to eat at the resort. Seriously. Here's an example, at Dondero's the spaghetti and meatball is $26. Spaghetti is one of the cheapest pastas on the planet so why does it cost so much? Is it made of gold? I've been to Italian restaurants, where you can watch them hand make everything, including pasta, that cost less. The only "affordable" thing at the resort is eating at the pool bar. I use quotes because it's really not good value. The burger I had was subprime and bland. It also cost $14 and didn't come with any sides. I've had burgers from McDonalds that taste better. Yes, the fast food restaurant. That, in my book, is not good value.

Rent a beach cottage. You'll save money, have better views, and a more relaxing experience.

Room Tip: "Garden view" means faces a parking lot.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
10  Thank jdrison
Reviewed November 22, 2013

The complex is very impressive and while it is on the quieter side of the island, there is plenty to do and easy to get where you need to be. Our room was spacious and clean everyday! Food was very good but enjoyed the local fare as well. This resort has a lot to do but you are not limited to what is on the grounds. Much of our time was spent off site on the island!

Everyone is very friendly and accomodating, I am pretty sure we wore out the concierge desk (thanks Mele!) Our trip was booked with The Tropical Travelers and could not have been easier! Found the price on Expedia and they matched it as well as coordinated the tickets and check in information and included free breakfast everyday (resort goers will tell you that this can add up very quickly!)

I would recommend this resort to anyone looking for a nice relaxing vacation or a honeymoon.

Room Tip: Tip the front desk!
1  Thank nolen h
Reviewed November 21, 2013

If you're planning a trip to this glorious isand, don't even think of staying anywhere other than the Grand Hyatt Resort. It's absolutely breathtaking from the moment you arrive.

After being greeted with leis, the staff welcomes you from the start, and strives endlessly to make your stay beyond perfect every moment you're there.

The grounds are magnificent, the daily breakfast beyond compare, and the rooms are immaculate. The folks at the concierge have one clear goal---to make you happy every step of the way. They even have pre-printed directions for every place you might want to venture off to see. There's nothing they won't do to make every day special whenever they can, and my wife and I were in our glory being there from beginning to end. We've already planned our return with a longer stay next year.

We attended the luau one night, which was wonderful, and honestly, you can't go to Hawaii without doing a luau, right? Great food, great entertainment!

I was able to make use of the spa facilities, and they were beyond anything I'd experienced. Loved the sauna, steamroom and lap pool, and the amenities were spectacular.

We've traveled all over the world, and have stayed in lovely places, but none even come close to this magnificent resort. It truly becomes your home away from home, and the people there make you feel like you're with family. We couldn't have been happier, and we are grateful to all of the people at the Grand Hyatt for making our special trip so wonderful. Mahalo!!

1  Thank Tony M
Reviewed November 20, 2013

We just returned from 9 nights at this resort (on hyatt points) and as someone who's spent over 300 nights in the past 2 years this is the probably the nicest hotel I've been able to stay in. The service is great, the best I've seen at a hyatt including the park hyatt i've stayed at. The pool and grounds are fantastic, the only drawback might be the beach is not fit for swimming, but they have a saltwater lagoon available.

We had dinner on my birthday at the tidepools and it was absolutely fantastic, don't miss that fabulous chocolate desert! As a Hyatt Diamond member we had access to the club lounge which had a fantastic breakfast and treats throughout the day, In the evening they had a great salad and some sort of finger food all of which were very good. As in a number of the Hyatt's I stay in, dinner is really not needed. We attended the luau, which because of Rain was indoors. Honestly, I've been to another one on the island which I thought was better but the food was great and if you wanted to lose your mind on maitais you certainly could. The show was good, but as I say I think the other one is better.

Our room was on the pool and it might have been nice to be on an upper floor but that's a trade off between convenience and the grander ocean view. One point I would make is that I thought the beds were a bit too soft, but that's perhaps a personal taste.

Overall, this hotel is great and I'm giving it an enthusiastic thumbs up! Booking again for 2015

1  Thank onceuponaduck
Reviewed November 20, 2013

There is nothing wrong I can say about this resort. They have got everything taken care of for you. Beautiful comfortable room. Great, friendly service. Amazing and fun pool. Beautiful beach front. You will do nothing but relax here. The Spa is fantastic. My husband and I had a couples massage in the outdoor cabanas. I highly recommend it. It was beyond relaxing to feel the fresh hawaiian breezes and listen to the waterfalls as your being massaged.The food at all venues was great. Already planning our next vacation here!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JoshandLara
Also consider these accommodations in or near Poipu
Koloa
Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club
Kauai Beach Resort
#4 of 11 in Lihue
Koloa
Koa Kea Hotel & Resort

Been to Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!