“wonderfull, with true 'aloha spirit'”

Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Poipu
GreenLeadersSilver level
elk grove ca
“wonderfull, with true 'aloha spirit'”
Reviewed July 18, 2013

I recently returned from a stay here in June 2013. I have been fortunate to visit the islands multiple times, and have always found this hotel to be one of my favorites From the check in till check out i was very pleased with everything about the property. Most especially the helpfull, friendly staff from the front desk (Coreen was GREAT) to the busboys, concierge staff, housekeeping, everyone truly were wonderfull. The amenities were great, but to me it is the staff which makes or breaks the experience. I have nothing negative to say about my stay, and look forward to my next visit!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Kayla H, Manager at Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 21, 2013
Aloha paddingtonl,

Mahalo for your review! It is an honor to know that our Resort is one of your favorites and that you have stayed with us many of times. Your kind words about our staff and the great service they provided is greatly appreciated as everyone strives to share the 'aloha' spirit with all guests here. It's a pleasure to hear that our staff made your experience and we are excited to you welcome you back in the near future.

Again, thank you for taking the time to share your experience. A Hui Hou!

Warmest Mahalo & Aloha,
Kayla H.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,418)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Gilbert, Arizona, United States
Reviewed July 17, 2013

Everyone at this resort is happy, kind, friendly, and helpful. We love this resort so much we have gone as a family 3 times and counting, and talked numerous friends in spending their vacation, honeymoon, etc there. BUT this last visit they went above and beyond. I decided to splurge this time and get a spa treatment package with my sister (divine!) Both people who worked on me were lovely and great at their job. Then on our last night there right before the spa closed I went and bought several items from their spa shop that the esthetician had used on me during my facial As I was waiting outside the spa for my husband to finish his outdoor lava rock shower and meet me I lost my car keys and didn't notice until the spa was closed. In the hustle and bustle of emptying my backpack and purse in search of the keys, I accidentally parted ways with the most expensive item I had bought (cost $75). I couldn't find it, but assumed it must be in one of my bags I was carrying and I'd find it when I got home. When we arrived home and fully unpacked I could not find it in any of my luggage, so I called the spa to see if it had been found the next morning when they opened the spa or it had been turned in. They called me back to tell me they would ship a new one, at their cost! I could not believe the incredible customer service. I have never had people bend over backwards so much to accommodate me regarding my own mistake, without me even asking! They treat you so well you want to keep coming back for more, which we have and will continue to do.

Room Tip: If you have young kids that like to run around, I recommend you get a room on the bottom level that...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Tiffani N
Aloha Tiffani N,

Mahalo nui for taking the time to share your experience with us. We are thrilled to hear that we exceeded your expectations during your stay. We greatly appreciate your kind words, and we will be sure to commend our Spa team for a job well-done. In addition, thank you for being such loyal guests to our resort. It is an honor to know you and your family have been with us 3 times and hoping to come back for more! We would be happy to have you back with us in the near future for another great stay.

bainbridge
Reviewed July 17, 2013

We just finished a week in Kauai. We spent our first 3 nights on the North Shore (rain, rain, rain) then the remainder of our stay on the South Shore (sun, sun, sun) at the Grand Hyatt. This was our 5th stay at the Grand Hyatt in Poipu, but the excitement and activities always make it feel like our first.
There are countless things I appreciate about this hotel-
Valet is only $15 a day and there is an option for free self park (St Regis is $30 a day with no option for self park)
The openness of the lobby allows the Kauai air and ocean to greet you each time you arrive back "home" to the hotel.
The rooms are great- plenty of towels and pillows. Rooms have ceiling fans which help with keeping the room cool.
Activities Abound!- My kids (9 and 11) always have a smile on their face when we are here. The pool has many options (water slide, lazy river, volleyball, basketball, hot tub, waterfalls, etc..) The ocean has a lot of waves. I have never been when the flag to the Shipwreck Beach was any other color than red. My daughter just loves to stay close to shore and jump the waves as they approach shore. She will not go out beyond her waist. My son however, has no issue going very far out and trying to body surf. This year he jumped the cliff with his dad. I was not on board with this activity but they had a blast and it ended up being pretty safe. He ranked Ship Wreck beach higher than zip lining! We also managed to schedule a family golf lesson at the course on property. The lesson offered each of us tips on our grip, stance and swings as we each hit many balls. The guide, Craig Assada, was top notch and very kind to all of us. I would make sure to book the on site Luau. It is usually on Sunday and Thursday nights. I could go on and on about all the activities that are free or nominal costs.
There are many food options nearby. On site they have the Makana Terrace breakfast buffet for $31 a person. This is the included breakfast when you book a package including breakfast. The buffet for kids is half price or they can order off a keiki menu. The buffet is a great way to enjoy brunch. We have done all the other on site dining options but only chose to return to the Makana Terrace for breakfast.
This place has become our families go to spot for quality ohana time.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Aloha jenledet,

Thank you for the raving review about the Sunny Poipu and the Resort! We are honored to know you and your family had a great time with us. We are particularly happy to hear that the entire ohana enjoyed the different activities we provide here on property, like the luau, golfing lessons and pool sporting games. We appreciate your positive feedback regarding the rooms and the parking options we offer our guests as well. You mentioned how the lobby greets you each time, as if you've arrived "home," and we definitely agree. In addition, quality ohana time is valuable and important to us, and we are thrilled to know we played a role in your family's vacation.

We hope to welcome you and your ohana back soon!

Mount Laurel, New Jersey
Reviewed July 15, 2013

We stayed 3 nights at the tail end of a 10day, 2 island honeymoon of Maui & Kauai. After staying in condos leading into our stay at the Grand Hyatt, we were worn down from driving all around the islands on excursions.

This resort was a great relief for us to relax & decompress.

Freshwater pool was cool to walk/swim around, and to setup/sit in different areas. Staying away from kids wasn't a problem.

Waterslide was fun!

Saltwater lagoon was more than I expected - goes from 3ft to 8ft. Free SCUBA lesson instruction was a nice feature at the resort (in the lagoon).

Poolside service a bit slow, but not a big deal

Outside maintenance crew was working each day, but did things quick & early in the morning (cutting down trees/cutting grass, etc) - not a big distraction & has to be done to keep the grounds as immaculate as they are.

Ocean is dangerous! Waves are intense, and there are rocks around, so while you CAN go to the beach, dont expect to enjoy the water (thats why the saltwater lagoon is such as plus)

Ground level Pool view room was PERFECT - worth the extra money. Very convenient to get to, rather than using elevators

We got the breakfast package & thought it was worth it - yes its expensive but delicious! Great views & food all around

Room Tip: 3122 - ground floor pool view was fantastic for us.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Zubury
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 15, 2013

The hotel still has gorgeous grounds and courteous staff. But we had to wait till almost 5:00 pm for our 3:00 check in. Somehow 4 free drinks doesn't even out those 2 extra hours when you've taken a red-eye 18 hour trip to Hawaii. And there were some waits for food on the hotel premises. For some reason, this hotel was 30% more expensive than the Fairmont Orchid on the Big Island, which seems a comparable hotel. It's still a great place to bring your family: the kids club is still run well: my two kids loved it all over again. Housekeeping was excellent. The free laundry on the premises is huge bonus when traveling with kids. The included buffet breakfast was excellent.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank happytripyk1
Ottawa, ONT
Reviewed July 15, 2013

The grounds of this hotel are simply amazing, lush greenery and such beautiful flowers. The pool is phenomenal, they have both the chlorinated option and the salt water lagoon. Perfect place to float around and be lazy all day! The beach is beautiful and although the ocean is quite rough on Shipwreck beach, it doesn't mean you can't enjoy it. I recommend climbing up to the cliffs to check out the views. Staff was excellent, everytime I saw my favorite bartender he had my white wine ready for me. All in all, I give it 5 stars. Beautiful place and amazing people make for the vacation of a lifetime. Oh and the spa services are also amazing!!!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank belly2379
Kayla H, Manager at Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Aloha bally2379,

Thank you for your kind words. We greatly appreciate your feedback and we are honored to hear about your stay with us. The grounds on property are definitely lush, as our team works hard and strives to create that feel of paradise through our landscaping - we are delighted you enjoyed it. We are thrilled that you had a great time in our pools and lagoon and found enjoyment in Shipwreck beach as well. Our staff pride themselves in providing the best service for our guests and it is amazing to hear that your favorite bartender provided you with excellent service.

Again, thank you for your raving review and we hope to welcome you back for another memorable stay.

Lynnfield, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 15, 2013

I have visited the island on several cruises before but I greatly enjoyed getting to know the island with the Hyatt as my home base. Service was excellent. Dining was great but not for those on a tight budget.

Room Tip: Get as far away from the lobby as possible and overlook the beach,,,
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Aloha DRJIM54,

Mahalo nui loa for your review! Thank you for your kind words regarding our staff and we are happy to hear you experienced excellent service with us. We hope to have the chance to welcome you back to the Resort, your home base, very soon.

Warmest Mahalo,
Kayla H.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Poipu
Kauai Beach Resort
#4 of 11 in Lihue
Koloa
Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club
Koloa
Koa Kea Hotel & Resort

Been to Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!