“Beautiful hotel with amazing service”

Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Poipu
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed May 19, 2013

The property is breath taking and service from employees was the best I have ever experienced. Only stayed one night but would have loved to have stayed more.The king room was spacious. The breakfast buffet is mouth watering, but be careful it is fairly expensive at $30+ per person.

Room Tip: Since the property is super large, recommend requesting a room near lobby.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (6,637)

Reviewed May 19, 2013

We were at the Grand Hyatt early April for our Honeymoon. The rooms were quite big and comfortable. I found the bathrooms a bit standard and outdated but everything worked great! The hotel itself was very beautiful especially with the landscaping!We had a lovely time! We did have some negative points.The reception we found was average and infact double blocked both credit cards for the same amount! Which was a great inconvenience for us. It was established it was a misunderstanding, however the hotel was not proactive in resolving the issue and no service recovery was made. That wasted alot of our time going back and forth at the reception and was frustrating. In the end we had to managed with alot of our money being blocked and unusable for 2 weeks of our honeymoon.

However we would definately go back for 2 main reasons that were the highlight of our trip! In fact we are already planning our next trip to Kauai!

1- Pacific Dreams Photography: Is a small team inside the hotel that offers photography services for hotel guests. The service itself is free but you pay for the pictures you pick which was very reasonable and convenient for us!! We has such a blast with the photographer ( Brian). He made everything so easy and so much fun!! It really was one of the best highlights of our trip and the hotel. The pictures ( choice of 600 and fully edited pics and video!! ) were ready for viewing the next day!! Matt, the branch manager was so helpful and friendly, he managed to finalize our files in such short notice because we were checking out within a couple of hours! These photos and videos are the best pictures and video of our trip! Everyone loves them and everyone asked for copies!! Cant wait for next year for our 1 year anniversary pictures!! Thank you Matt and Brian for everything!!

2- Expedia Local Expert : James Reynolds Jr., Concierge was just the best!! We went to 8 different hotels all over the US and James by far was the most amazing! I really cannot find a concierge experience that I can compare to James worldwide! and we have both been to so many countries and 5 star hotels. In fact I think we had such a great time in Kauai because of him! He was able to quickly identify what we were looking for and even though most of the trips were booked he still managed to find alternatives for us and they still rocked!! He was very engaging and friendly. The way he organized our schedule for us in Kauai was so useful that we never wasted time and made the most of it!! Something the other places we visited lacked!! Thank you very much James for making our Honeymoon and time in Kauai a memorable one!!

Regards,

Hessa

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Kaila A, Manager at Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 19, 2013

Aloha Hessa and Mahalo for your review!

We're delighted that you had a wonderful stay, and thank you for choosing our resort as your honeymoon destination! Mahalo for your warm comments about our Pacific Dream Photography team and the concierge; we appreciate your kind words and are pleased to hear about your great experiences! We do apologize for the inconvenience regarding the misunderstanding at the reception desk, but sincerely appreciate your feedback as it allows us the opportunity to improve upon. We hope to welcome you back to Kauai soon, congratulations once again and best wishes as you begin a new chapter together!

Mahalo and A Hui Hou (until we meet again),

Reviewed May 18, 2013

The hotel, the rooms and the restaurants were amazing. We went to the luau here and it was designed for an older crowd, very cheesy and not very entertaining for us. If your younger than 55 do not waist your money on the luau. Aside from that its worth every single penny you will spend. And a big high five to the staff that work there and make it that amazing.

• Stayed: May 2013

Aloha and Mahalo for your review!

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We're happy to hear that you had a great stay and that you enjoyed the resort, rooms, and restaurants! Mahalo for your kind words about our staff and the service they provided! We do apologize that the Luau did not exceed your expectations, and thank you for your feedback. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back soon!

Mahalo Nui Loa,

Reviewed May 17, 2013

Everything is great about this hotel. Restaurants, Live Entertainment, Pool are particularly outstanding. The property is large giving ample space within, it is also on a nice beach which feels like a private one. Being on South shore there isnt excessive rainfall.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo

Aloha and Mahalo for your review!

We're delighted to hear that you had a great stay with us, and that you enjoyed the resort restaurants, pools, and live entertainment! The beach fronting the resort is definitely one of the more secluded beaches on the South Shore, and we're glad you enjoyed it. We hope you can join us again in the near future, until then safe travels and Mahalo!

Warmest Aloha,

Reviewed May 16, 2013

Per their Platinum Line reservation system, I booked a points stay, 6 nights total. I had enough for four nights in a Club Room but they only had availability for two, and two of my nights were gratis per their branded credit card which is for a standard room. I loathed the thought of changing rooms (I like to settle in and make it my own) but there is nothing the hotel can do until you get there.Technically given my reservation I should've only had Club and Spa access for two days but when I checked back in with the front desk on the second day they had arranged for me to stay put where I was (Poipu Wing; second best room category. Only suites are higher), and I had access to both for the entire week (Heaven). I also got to keep the 10,000 points in my account that I would've used for the reservation had it been available by phone. So win, win, win all across the board for me. Very nice. Thank you, Hyatt. I truly appreciated it!

GROUNDS: The moment you walk in, the monolithic picture window looking out to the ocean that is their lobby sets the tone. Breathtaking. The grounds and pools are impeccable. Immaculate landscaping. I am a bit of a Virgo clean freak who never walks on floors without a pair of slippers on my feet. I walked EVERYWHERE barefoot daily and, oddly, my feet never really got that dirty. It was such a freedom for me, you have no idea. And a first for this slightly OCD girl, to be sure. I'm an explorer by nature when I travel but I really did hate to leave the resort, which I did, and was always terribly excited when I returned. Poipu beach (gorgeous) is about a mile down the road to swim and snorkel in since you cannot do so on this rocky oceanfront, so swimming is the only time you'd really need to depart. This place has everything! My advice to truly get a feel for this property is to grab a different seat every day. Each perspective is revelatory, unique and lovely.

ROOM: It was large with a wonderfully snuggly bed, double sink, nice marble shower and full lanai. A perfectlly clean and fine room. But honestly, I found the decor to be boring, It feels branded (well, because it is) and impersonal and is definitely not on my list, unlike the property, for being exceptional. But who cares? I nor you are there for the room. What was amazing about it was the ocean view which lent itself to some of the best crashing wave sounds that I have ever heard. Because of the lava rocks on the shoreline constantly tumbling around whe they hit, there is a sound level unlike any other and it was my lullaby every night.

CLUB LOUNGE AND SPA: Worth it to upgrade, though I don't know the actual price difference. Aside from grabbing ahi poke daily from Ishihara Market (my mouth just watered), I never needed to eat anywhere else. Food is a huge expense on this Island and the lounge had all I needed. It was fresh with a nice variety. It was never crowded and the spa was right across from it so you could just roll yourself over to the hot tub afterwards. Ahhhh, the spa. Hands down the steamiest steam room I have ever been in. Glorious.The jets were strong in the hot tub (also difficult to get just right for some reason) and the pool was sparkling clean every day. The lava rock waterfall showers are delicious. They have Clarisonics to use (nice amenity) and I would just throw a towel down on the floor and sit under it while I sloughed away at every days end.

SERVICE: Fantastic. Id call from my room wanting this or that (extra flowers at turn down, Woolite, wi-fi repair, cleaning of a sandy floor) and it was there/done in a flash and with a smile. Well done, staff. Well done.

PEOPLE: Seek Ronald out at the front desk if you want to learn cool things about the island. The folklore here is fascinating and I could have listened for hours to story upon story. that he had to share. More impressively, the second time I encountered him to request something, he remembered my room number.before I even gave it. How the heck??? A truly warm and funny fella. Simone Wilson in the Club Lounge always greeted me with a smile, wanting to know how my day was and what I did. Genuinely. She genuinely was interested. She was like my sweet aunt and I found her a comforting presence to have around. I also want to give a shout-out to Cecelia, also in the Club Lounge, who did my favorite thing in the whole service world: anticipating my needs. They were simple; a few bottles of Perrier and a bag of the delicious taro chips were my daily wants but it was just so damn nice to have someone remember and ask to get it for me rather than me having to ask every time. (The chips and Perrier were in the back). The young man at the concierge desk was the worst. A robot. I would be talking to him and his eyes would wander to whatever was in back of me. I was interested in Catamaran tours and he knew nothing about Hola Hola, and Blue Dolphin which Id asked about in comparison to Captain Andys (the one the Hyatt works with). I felt like I was on a bad date trying to pull conversation out of a person who obviously had nothing interesting to say. Save for this guy, all the staff wherever I went were kind and gracious. The only thing that was below standard for me was the the lack of knowledge many of the employees had about the resort. Whenever I had questions about things (the decor or art in the area that they worked, names of the flora and fauna, the wood used in this or that piece, etc.) most were pretty clueless. I had to ask 3 people before I got the correct answer for when exactly the lighting of the torches was. I know its a big resort, but for a 4 star I think their staff could be more up on their general knowledge of the property and its goings on. It's so beautiful, people like me want to drink in every bit of knowledge about it.

Tips: I didn't mind hearing the bands and they weren't directly outside my room but know that they often have corporate events right in front of certain blocks of rooms. They do not inform you of this before you book, so ask. Unless you have club and spa access don't stay in the Poipu wing. It's far from the pools and restaurants. I scoped out rooms and my other choice location would be in the Shipwreck wing. There are a certain group of full ocean front facing rooms that have the rare trifecta of pool and beach access with just the right amount of privacy. And Id choose ground floor the next time. It looked so inviting to have the ability to walk out of your room directly to everything. Keep in mind that I was a solo traveler (a rarity here) so if complete privacy is what you want then the Poipu wing IS for you.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank carissa t

Aloha Carissa,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience and for being our guest! We appreciate your loyalty to Hyatt and are thrilled to hear you were pleased with the Platinum member benefits and amenities! We're glad you had a wonderful stay with us and enjoyed much of the resort, including the Grand Club Lounge & Anara Spa. Thank you for your kind words about our staff and for recognizing Ronald, Simone, & Cecelia; we'll be sure to share this among our team! We also appreciate your feedback regarding your concierge experience, and apologize for the inconvenience.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back soon!
Warmest Aloha and Mahalo,

Reviewed May 15, 2013

This was our 2nd visit to the Grand Hyatt and it was just as good as last time. Staff is very friendly and helpful; we had the pool side room which was on the ground floor and we could walk out to the pool or sit on the patio. Not a lot of evening activity so no problem with privacy or loud activity after dark. We took advantage of the included buffet breakfast with our room, which was perfect for early morning before we took off on our hikes or golfing. Beautifully manicured grounds; pool is clean and the lazy river plus the pool and salt water pool was fantastic. Love this resort.

Room Tip: We enjoyed the pool side room as it was close to the pool/hot tub. However, we were not in the room...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Aloha Pat S and Mahalo for your review!

We're thrilled to hear that you had another excellent stay with us, and thank you for being our guest once again! We're glad you enjoyed your room location and convenience to the pools, and that you were pleased with the breakfast buffet. Thank you for your warm comments about our resort team and the friendly service they provided. It would be a pleasure to have you join us again in the near future!

Mahalo and A Hui Hou (until we meet again),

Reviewed May 15, 2013

I have been to this spa now on two separate visits to Kauai. The massages have been wonderful. The woman I had paid special attention to the areas that I asked about and gave me some tips for stretching as well. The restrooms are very clean. Plan to go early and enjoy the rain showers, hot tub and pool as well.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends

Aloha Brenda C,

Thank you for sharing your experience of the Anara Spa! We're delighted to hear that you enjoyed your spa treatment as well as the spa amenities; the lava rock showers are a favorite among many! Mahalo for also sharing your kind words about your massage therapist. We hope to welcome you back in the near future!

Mahalo Nui Loa,
Kaila A.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Poipu
Koloa
Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club
Kauai Beach Resort
#4 of 11 in Lihue

Been to Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!