“Fantastic!”

Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Poipu
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed March 25, 2013

If you need a break, this is the place to go. Everything is within the resort. It's a great place to just crash. The food quality at the restaurants was outstanding. The food service workers were so friendly and helpful. Can't wait to return.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Kaila A, Manager at Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 31, 2013

Aloha and Mahalo for your review!

We're delighted to hear that you had a great stay with us! Kauai is the perfect place for a getaway, and we're happy you were able to escape to paradise! Thank you for your warm comments about our restaurants, including the food quality and service provided. We'll be sure to share your kind words with our team. We hope to welcome you back soon!

Warmest Aloha,

Reviewed March 25, 2013

Stayed at this resort for 3 nights in March. If I ever get back to Hawaii, I'll come straight to the Grand Hyatt Kauai. First off, Kauai is gorgeous, it's like the Garden of Eden. Very laid back, and not at all with the hustle and bustle of Honolulu. When we walked into the Grand Hyatt Kauai, the open air lobby is just a prelude to the rest I can't get over the amazing grounds of this hotel. I just wanted to sit and gaze out to the ocean and not move. We splurged for a partial ocean view (expensive) but it was worth it. It is like looking at a picture of the south seas. The pools meandered around the grounds, along with palm trees and tropical plants and flowers. Our room was big, we had both a king and a queen in it. We had a nice lanai (balcony) looking out over the pool and ocean. There was a big bathoom with tub/shower and a very curious modern electronic toilet/bidet. The beds were very comfortable with plenty of pillows. I had 3 meals (plus the luau) during my stay here. I had the breakfast buffet at Ilima Terrace which was very good but pricey. Beautiful view of the grounds and ocean. I ate lunch one day at the Dock, which is the outdoor bar by the pools. This was another good meal right in the midst of all the tropical splendor of the pools. Then my family and I ate at Tidepools which is very pretty, especially after it gets dark, to see the palm trees swaying in the moonlight and the pools surrounding with koi. It did kind of remind me of the Enchanted Tiki Room at Disneyland but not in a bad way! We also attended the luau at the Hyatt and that was a fun evening. The entertainment was great, they put on an excellent show and there was plenty of food and drink. We also used the spa services and the spa itself is lovely and relaxing, although expensive, One negative thing I should mention but this seems to be throughout Hawaii, is that the pools are cool to cold. I swam one afternoon and the pool was cool but the next morning it was downright cold. That was a big disappointment to me as I had been looking forward to lazing around in the pools. After a while you did get used to it, but I noticed that very few people were actually swimming and if they did they jumped in and jumped out rather quickly. One person told me that the saltwater lagoon was even colder. I'm from the Texas Gulf coast and am used to very warm water.
That being said, I just have to get back to the lush scenery. One of the most stunning hotels I've ever stayed at. The only thing that keeps me from giving an excellent rating is the cold pools.

Room Tip: Splurge for at least a partial ocean view. It is well worth it for the splendid view of the ocean a...
2  Thank C5254

Aloha and Mahalo for your review!

We're thrilled to hear that you and your Ohana (family) had an amazing stay with us! It sounds like you all had a fun and relaxing visit to Kauai. We're glad you enjoyed your room accommodations, as well as the luau, pools, and spa! Mahalo for your kind words about the grounds and landscaping, and thank you for your feedback regarding the pool temperature. It would be a pleasure to have you join us again in the near future!

Mahalo Nui Loa,

Reviewed March 25, 2013

This is a geat hotel for families who want to keep their kids busy with numerous, pools, waterfalls, and a water slide. It also has a salt water lagoon. The beach isn't much and there are warnings to be careful in the ocean area around there. the breakfast area is large and has nice outdoor seating next to a Koi pond. The restaurant we liked the most was the one in the garden area with the thatched roof and has a great meal selection and a bar area with a sitting area. Also Koi fish swim by the tables in about 1/2 of the restaurant.The hotel is huge and there are so many room choice locations it's hard to tell which locatiuon is best. Our room had a great balcony that overlooked most of the pool area with a partial ocean view. I don't think it is wise to pay a lot more for an ocean view when the pool, lagoon, and garden areas are so nice. It is a short drive to shopping and other dining options and a 20-30 minute trip back to the airport. Took a helicopter flight that was worth it. Book through the hotel for most things and you get a big discount.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that looks out on all of the pools and waterfalls. The beach and ocean aren't mu...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Aloha and Mahalo for your review!

We are happy that you had a wonderful stay with us, and that you were pleased with your room accommodations and view! It's great to hear that Tidepools was your favorite place to eat, it's definitely an exquisite and unique dining experience. Mahalo for being our guest, and we hope to welcome you back soon!

A Hui Hou (until we meet again),

Reviewed March 25, 2013

Great resort, great restaurants, great beach, great pool. Hard to find fault in this property, my only complaint was the completely unreliable internet access for the entire duration of our week-long stay.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family

Aloha NickBCtravel,

We're thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that you had a great time at the resort, pools, beach, and restaurants! Thank you for your comments regarding the internet, we appreciate your feedback as we have been working to improve the internet service. It would be a pleasure to welcome you back in the near future!

Mahalo and A Hui Hou (until we meet again),

Reviewed March 25, 2013

It's one thing to expect items to be a bit more expensive in Hawaii, but it's something else entirely for prices to be ridiculous. The alcohol for example, (pool side, restaurant, or room service), is more expensive than New York, and that's saying something. My wife and I ordered two margaritas the first day, pool side, and when the bill came, I fell out of my chair. $31! These weren't some big exceptional Margaritas in GIANT glasses. They were 6 oz. mini solo cups. We switched to beer and after a $16 charge, we waited until the afternoon, then drove to the supermarket for supplies.
We picked up a 20 pack of Bud for $15, a few bottles of descent wine $22, and some margarita mixes. But, to discourage this sort of behavior, they don't give you a fridge on your room. They give you something referred to as a wine chiller, which is basically a sealed box, that keeps things around 65-70 degrees. We requested a fridge and they sent one up, thankfully.
Make sure you read the small print as well. There is a $25 resort fee daily, a $30+ tax daily and other ancillary items that adds about $70 daily to your bill. When I received ours, I commented that I didn't know we were paying for another night.
If your able to search rental properties, and you find a reasonable house/condo for rent for the week. Take it! Trust me. The money you'll save will be immense. I also see that some people have commented on the beach. Let me tell you, it's definitely not safely swimmable. Unless your a fan of rip currents and rough surf. It's called shipwreck beach for a reason.
The property itself is beautiful. Large and expansive. They do have a nice enclosed salt water bay enclosure pool for the kids. It's wonderful. The spa is way over priced, even for Hawaii. The tennis courts, have rental fees, even for a racket. The golf course, though nicely kept and challenging is ridiculous. If you're renting clubs, and you're not staying at the Hyatt, it costs more than Pebble Beach. My suggestion to the avid golfers, bring your own clubs and play after 2PM. You can still get in 18 and it will cost $140.
So in summary, Stop by the supermarket before you get there (if I haven't talked you out of staying there yet), request a real fridge, have a plastic cup to transfer your drinks to (glass not allowed at the pool). Don't waste your time paying for valet, they already charge you $25 a day to park (car or not). Lastly, if your planning on eating at the resort, and you like Italian, forget Dondero's. It's very badly. Very bad. If you're planning on eating at the resort and you like Chinese, you can't go wrong at Yum Yum's. It's absolutely fabulous and the portions are out of this world. I hope I helped someone. Anyone wishing to spend at least a week here, you would be better off, finding an all inclusive foreign destination and saving yourself a couple of thousand dollars. Seriously!

Room Tip: You do not need an Ocean View to have a good view. Besides, it's definitely not worth the extra...
8  Thank Michael G

Aloha Michael G,

Thank you for your review and sharing your experience. We're glad that you and your family enjoyed the pools and salt water lagoon, as well as dining at Yum Cha! We do however regret that we were unable to exceed your expectations for your overall stay, and apologize for any inconveniences. Mahalo for provided us with your feedback, as it allows us the opportunity to improve upon. We hope to have the chance to welcome you back to the Garden Island in the future.

Warmest Aloha and Mahalo,

Reviewed March 25, 2013

Our family of 4 (2 Adults 2 Teens) stayed at the Hyatt Kauai in Mid-March on a pre-paid rate of $409 for a double Queen room on the "Club Floor. We had an ocean view room on the 5th floor - which had a nice view of the ocean. The "Club" rate enabled us to eat at the club - which we thought was fantastic. For breakfast, there is a nice assortment of fresh papaya, pineapple and watermelon - along with cereals, oatmeal, fresh baked pastries and usually some sort of hot food. We ate here every morning and came for snacks before dinner and then some nights for dessert. We thought this was a huge benefit since food is SO expensive. The club rate also let us have access to the spa - which had a private lap pool and jacuzzi as well as a steam room and sauna. The staff at the hotel were very accommodating - we arrived at 1pm for check in - and since our room was not yet ready, they gave us a $50 credit at the beach bar so that we could have something to drink while we waited. The pool was wonderful - loved the slide and playing volleyball. Overall - a wonderful hotel at a wonderful price for Hawaii!

Room Tip: Chose a club room if you want to save money on food. Higher rooms have a nice view of the ocean.

Aloha and Mahalo for your review!

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and for being our guest! We're happy to hear that you and your Ohana (family) had a great stay! Also glad that you enjoyed the pools and water activities, as well as the Grand Club Lounge. We agree the Club is a great value for guests, especially families, and has a delicious food selection. It would be a pleasure to welcome you back soon!

Mahalo Nui Loa,

Reviewed March 25, 2013

We stayed at the Grand Hyatt Kauai in September for our wedding and honeymoon and it was fabulous. If you are there on your honeymoon, make sure it is noted by the hotel when you make your reservations. We had all sorts of nice little perks, e.g., a free day cabana rental, champagne on arrival, free dessert...

The day of my wedding, I had my hair and make-up done at the salon by Chicka (I'm probably spelling this incorrectly) and she did an incredible job on my hair. I was a little nervous having my hair and make-up done by a complete stranger, but she was wonderful. If you have a big occassion, I highly reccomend her. The spa area in general is really, really nice. We had a couples massage and there are separate men/women areas with steam rooms, whirlpools, etc.

As other reviewers have noted, the property is huge but at the same time there are plenty of quiet, intimate areas. We had an ocean view room and listening to the ocean every day was heaven. There are several pools so you can find one that suits your needs as there are several adult pools and some more geared toward kids.

The breakfast buffet was incredible and they had everything one could wish for. The host even provided a to-go cup for my husband's coffee as we were leaving. We ate at Tidepools the night we were married and had a lovely evening. The food there wasn't the best I've had, but it is still very good. The atmosphere is nice too.

What I really liked about the hotel was the service. Everyone we encountered was so welcoming and friendly. We can't wait to return to Kauai and explore more of the island.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Aloha and Mahalo for your review!

We're delighted to hear that you had a wonderful stay, and congratulations once again on your marriage! We're honored to have you celebrate such a joyous occasion with us, and happy that you had an unforgettable experience! Thank you for your kind comments about our staff and the service they provided, we appreciate your recommendation as well. We hope to welcome you back soon, an anniversary stay perhaps?

Warmest Mahalo,
Kaila A.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Poipu
Koloa
Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club
Kauai Beach Resort
#4 of 11 in Lihue
Koloa
Koa Kea Hotel & Resort

Been to Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!