“Best Condo so far” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #6 of 30 Specialty Lodging in Poipu
Austin, Texas
“Best Condo so far”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2006

We booked our unit through Redweek. Our one week stay was 2000.00. We stayed in the 2700 sq.ft. penthouse. It has 3BR, 3 1/2 Bath, Large dining room that seats 10 at the table, 4 televisions, huge kitchen and pantry, breakfast area, seperate laundry room, several walk-in closets, and a wrap-around lanai with table, chairs, and several loungers. The view of the ocean was spectactular. The main BR had a jacuzzi tub. All bedrooms were like their own little suites attached to the common area so there was lots of privacy. The furniture was nice. All of the soaps and lotions came from Bath and Body Works. Very nice stuff.

The resort pool was pretty cool, gently sloping to the deepish end(4 ft). It had a volleyball court and a lane for swimming but you have to get there real early for that. Of course, chairs are hard to find except for the 30 empty ones with someones towel on it. The resort has a policy where if your stuff is unattended for 45 minutes, it goes to lost and found. Just ask someone at the towel hut to find you some chairs and they will. The jacuzzi by the pool is nice but not real hot. There is another jacuzzi on the grounds that they have cranked up for heat lovers like me.

The pool bar is averaged priced. Cheap by Hawaii standards, but definitely not the cheapest on the isalnd. I started bringing my own drinks by day 2 because the cocktail service was incredibly SLOW. You might see someone once in 2-3 hours. The food at the pool bar was pretty good for snacking on. Try the quesadillas.

The beach by the resort is jagged and rough so there is no swimming. But you can see lots of turtles and whales. Next door at the Hyatt has a beach but its more for surfers and not too good for swimming either. If you want to swim and snorkel, don't waste you time with Poipu. Go straight up to Princeville and Hanalei. The bay up there is incredible! Snorkeling is great there.

As far as restaurants go, The Hyatt has a great Sunday Brunch and a wonderful Luau. It's well worth the price. Kioki's is another really good restaurant. Get a reservation if you can because they are always booked up and the wait is LONG. Avoid Poipu Burgers at all cost.

• Liked — Lots of space
  • Disliked — No good swimming beach
  • Tips/Secrets — try redweek.com you can usually get better rates and rooms
  • Stayed April 2006, traveled with family
      Location
      Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
24 Thank trekingirl

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (268)
Concord, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2006

We were invited to use our friends timeshare here. When we first arrived, which was at 10 AM, they immediately checked us in but gave us a room right next to an engineering room where their was machinery running and vibrated the wall in the master bedroom. We asked to be switched, and we then were given options of rooms. It took about an hour but our room was spectacular! The view superb, and our stay, wonderful! While we were waiting for our new room to be cleaned, (and keep in mind we got there at 10AM & check in is at 3PM??) I took a Lei making class down by the pool. The staff at the hotel was always pleasant, smiling, and greeting you with an Aloha. We felt like we were at home here. The guys took the free scuba class down at the pool, while us girls went to the craft class where we made shell leis, anklets, bracelets, whatever we wanted. Our instructer was Jacob. He also danced in our luau that night at Tihati's!! Great luau, highly recommended by the locals, and now by us!! We also got this luau for $4 each by visiting a 90 minute timeshare presentation. Big deal, 90 minutes and we got our free breakfast and left!! Another bonus to signing up for this timeshare, we got about 10 coupons for 2 for 1 dinners. We enjoyed our dinner at Wahoo's in Kapaa best. From the outside, it doesn't look like much, but look at our pictures. A top of the line chef prepared these meals. These dinners alone were worth the 90 minutes of our time. Call Althea @ 808-346-1610 and I sent you! She'll hook you up with free stuff and 2 for 1's in kayaking or snorkeling trips too! She's awesome, gave us lots of tips and was just fun to be around!! We found her right outside the Safeway store in Kapaa (there's a Starbucks right next door too!!) in a little booth with activity guides. Call her, it's worth your time! Our best snokeling was at Ke'e Beach. Get there early as the water gets a little rough in the afternoon. We also to a nice hike from this beach too. Also, the drive up the Waimea canyon was great, but again, go early as the fog moves in and we got to the top and all we saw was cloud. Stop at the scenic stuff on your way back down! We had a wonderful 9 days here. We hope you do too!

• Stayed June 2006
33 Thank MsWobbi
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2006

We just got back from 7 days on Kauai at the Poipu Point and we loved it! I've been reading the other reviews and it's true, there are not a lot of amenities at this complex, but come on....it is a condo complex, not a full service resort! If you come with the expectation that this is a full service resort, you will be disappointed. We knew it was a condo and actually prefer that. We can cook and eat what we want, when we want and save some $ in the process! Since we always rent a car when traveling, driving to a restaurant or grocery store was not a problem for us. We stayed in a beautiful, large, 2 bd, 2 ba condo that was tastefully decorated and very clean. The grounds were very nicely landscaped. The free activities provided were great. They offered kayaking and diving training as well as hula and lei making. We loved the pool! I have teenagers and they loved the pool too. We BBQ'd near the pool a couple of nights and ordered drinks and snacks from the grill at the pool. The prices were pretty reasonable and the food/drinks were good. I met some very nice people at the happy hour and the staff was extremely helpful and responsive. I came here on an Encore vacation and sat through another time share presentation. The sales rep was very knowledgeable and not too pushy. They offered me a great deal, but I did not buy. It was not the right time to spend money on a vacation time share for me personally. However, if I was going to buy a time share, I would definitely give this one serious consideration.

What would I change about this complex if I could? Well, I would add an onsite grocery store and a restaurant. The nearest grocery stores were about 10 minutes away Koloa. I would probably also increase the number of times per week maid service is provided. The maids came once the week we stayed and it would have been nice to have daily or every other day service. The view from our room could have been better, but we know it was partial ocean view, which usually means limited view of the ocean.

I would also have to say the beaches were better on the north end of the island. Tunnels and Ke'e beach were awesome! But with a car, you can drive anywhere on the island and we did. The beach within 5 minutes walking distance from the Poipu Point was nice, but the surf was pretty rough and we did not go in the water there. If you like boogie boarding, try Brennecke Beach right next to Poipu Beach ParkI would recommend driving the Waimea Canyon and a Na Pali Coast cruise as great activities on Kauai.

Overall, I would definitely stay here again and would recommend it to people with families who prefer the flexibility of staying in a condo and don't mind driving to shopping and restaurants.

• Stayed June 2006
23 Thank ldadkd
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2006

My family and I traveled in the month of May, and stayed in a two bedroom that we had gotten through our timeshare.

My first impression was wow!! What a beautiful lobby! They had happy hour almost every night where you could get complimentary drinks from 4-8. (the boys took full advantage) The landscaping is just beautiful I could almost not believe my eyes. The pool was shallow which was nice for having kids. They could play without us worrying too much. There is an adult hot tub in a different location of the resort which is nice for those trying to get away from kids. The poolside bar had great food and awesome drinks. The breakfast was really good for what you pay for too. There is resort activities during the day, such as crafts, kayaking and scuba lessons, bingo group hiking as well. The resort is right on the ocean front. (prime location) being that the resorts neighbour is the grand hyatt. (a must see) But my goodness we took a walk on the beach and it was breath taking. We didnt even have to search for sea turtles....they were right there no more than a hope, skip and a jump from our room. Amazing. The resort was well kept and had great service. The people of kauai are so friendly!
As far as being asked to a time share presentation...come on now, we all know what they are...if you don't want one, don't go...they certainly don't force it upon you...they simply ask politely and you can say yes or no...We decided to go (even though we already have a timeshare, which we love) We told him we werent interested and we left. For a hour of our time we got two free dinners at the hyatt and a hundred dollars to spend on a variety of different activities.
Another thing worth mentioning is the barbeques. We went to the locals market and picked up a weeks worth of meat. Every night we unwound by the pool making food with the barbeque and socializing with other guests. Lots of fun!

All I can say is I'm already dreaming of the day I can go back!!!

• Stayed May 2006
21 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2006

We just got back from a week at our timeshare in Poipu. The room was as usual very clean.It was quiet, no neighbor noise ,no faulty air conditioners or fans.The staff was very nice especially when my husband thought he'd left his wedding band in the kitchen,He put it in a pocket and it was packed safely away.My daughter and her friend enjoyed the pool and nearby beach, though they are over 21 the pool bar staff was very careful to make sure they weren't serving underage kids.That bugged them as one forgot their ID but I'm glad they bother to check.Kauai is very laidback unless you did what we did and booked both a boat trip and heli USA Airlines ride all in one week , then it can feel like you should stay two weeks to recoup from the tours!!! My only concern is the ownership is change...and if I can still get a room with just three months notice? Husband has trouble getting a lot of notice to get time off. ANYWAY,I STILL THINK IT IS THE NICEST PLACE EVER!!!!!J. Weck

9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Denver, CO
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2006

My fiancee and I just returned from a 1-week stay April 20-27. Our condo was on the 2nd floor of building 1, which is right next to the lobby building up on the hill away from the ocean (we did not have much of a view of the ocean unless we leaned over the balcony). Overall we really enjoyed our stay--it was a nice condo--the furniture and amenities were above average from our experiences on Kauai.

After reading earlier posts I would agree that you should not expect to get a full service resort or hotel experience. There is not daily maid service and there is no real restaurant--they do offer a far below average breakfast buffet for $7--the pesky birds, dirty plastic tables/chairs, and paper plates make for a poor dining experience. And, their pool bar serves some typical bar food--nothing healthy or really great.

Also, we avoided all the time share sales people and did not attend the "free" orientation breakfast. Therefore, we were not bothered by the sales pitches I read about on other posts. We overheard some of the sales people talking to other guests and heard stories at the pool bar--they are very aggressive and annoying, so it's best to avoid for sure!

The pros: room was fairly nice and large--2 bedrooms and 2 baths. The master bedroom was large and had it's own TV separate from the living room. The other bedroom had two twin beds--so not ideal for two couples who want to split the cost of the condo--more geared toward a small family. The condo had a full kitchen, full sized refrigerator, small washer and dryer and the furniture was in decent shape. (see pictures I posted) There was a patio/lenai with a table and 4 chairs and you could access it from 3 different rooms--each bed room and the living room. The room was clean and did not smell moldy (like some other condos/hotels we've visited on Kauai). The pool is okay--definitely more for children than adults. The pool bar is great for two reasons--the drinks are about 2/3 price from the Hyatt next door ($6 for most tropical drinks--Hyatt's are $10!) and the bartender/bar manager Michael is a fun guy to talk to and gives great activity/restaurant recommendations.

The cons: There are not an abundance of bath towels, so you'll have to do some laundry. The stacked washer/dryer unit in our unit was VERY noisy and it almost sounded broken during the drain & spin cycles. The walls between the units were pretty thin--we could hear our neighnors talking, watching TV, and the kids above our unit sounded like they were running back and forth all evening (pounding noise). I would like for the pool to be more adult friendly than it was. There is no beach right in front of the hotel, but the Hyatt is a short walk away and they have a great beach.

Bottom line is that the Embassy offers more services/amenities than a traditional condo complex, but fewer services/amenities than a hotel or resort.

If you can request your room location, I would suggest buildings 3, 4, 6, 7, 8 or 9 because they are closest to the ocean and are likely to have some view of it. I recommend avoiding building 10 because there are no views of the ocean, only some tall, thick island pine trees. Also, avoid staying on the 1st floor of most buildings unless they are close to the ocean.

As for value/price, I cannot give a good opinion as we were given the week "free" through the RCI vacation exchange program (we only payed approx $200 for the week for taxes and utilities surcharge). I can tell you that I think the 2-bed unit was worth about $250 to $350 per night (or about $1400-$1900 for a weekly rate) in my opinion. A room with a better view would go for much more I'm sure.

• Stayed April 2006
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
25 Thank Colo_Traveler123
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2006

I was very disappointed in this place. While the grounds are nice and the location nice the non-stop sales pitch for time shares was more than annoying. It was like staying in a four day Amway sales meeting. We were pitched when we came in and it continued. The pitch people are the "recreation advisors" and since you are presumably coming for recreation and don't know the island (since if you did you would never stay at this place but just down the street in a nicer bungalo for 1/5 the price) you are forced to deal with these people. Look around on the net for anyplace other than this unless you are in the market for a timeshare.

• Stayed March 2006
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
17 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Poipu
Koloa
Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club
Kauai Beach Resort
#4 of 11 in Lihue
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,200 reviews
Koloa
Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa

Been to The Point at Poipu? Share your experiences!