The Point at Poipu
$452
$399
Sheraton.com
  • Pool
Koa Kea Hotel & Resort(Poipu)
$549
Orbitz.com
Kiahuna Plantation Resort(Poipu)(Great Value!)
$230
Travelocity
$323
Cancelon
$199
$193
Garden Island Inn Hotel(Lihue)
$185
$386
$309
  • Pool
All reviewsdiamond resortsshipwreck beachpoolside grilladult spatimeshare presentationfull kitchenocean viewwasher and dryersea turtlessecond bedroomtimeshare exchangeboth bedroomsgrand hyattcentral airliving roomtop flooractivity center
Reviewed January 3, 2008

Our first impression of the Point -- the grounds are well kept. The koi ponds and waterfalls are pretty and relaxing. However, once you enter the suite, it was a different story. This is not a 5-star timeshare. At best, it is a 3-star. Our suite smelled like it was clean, but a quick glance under the beds in the guest suite proved not to be so. The white plastic lining on the drapes in the guest suite were filthy! The windows looked like they had been cleaned years ago. The bath tub in the main suite was brown with use. It's the little details that often go a long way and also make a 3 or 4 star into a 5 star experience. The details are definitely lacking at the Point. The kitchen is not well stocked for a family of four, so if your idea is to cook and save money on meals out, good luck. There were cracked tiles most places I looked, inside and out of the suite. The bath towels were either threadbare or stained. The sheets and pillows were substandard (lumpy, uncomfortable pillows and sheets that didn't quite fit the beds). On a positive note, the suite is a good size and being on the top floor in building three, we did not have noise above us. It was pretty busy while we were there, and parking close to the unit was not always available, but that was a minor concern. The front desk staff were just OK. Nothing special. We were asked three times if we wanted to do the timeshare presentation and we declined. The Point pales in comparison to the amenities and service at the EVR in Maui. Kauai is a beautiful island with lots to do and see. I would recommend the ziplining at Princeville Ranch. I would also recommend the north shore beaches, but get there early for parking. Pomodoro restaurant is worth a visit. Keoki's Paradise was also good. You may get sticker shock from some restaurants -- it's definitely expensive to eat out. I would recommend buying the Ultimate Guide to Kaui, which has choices for all budgets and is also a good guide to the island in general. A must is a drive up through Waimea canyon. Also, if you have a 4WD vehicle, try and get out to Polihale beach, which is sheer beauty. I would go back to Kauai, but I would not stay at the Point again.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled with family
14  Thank smacthayer
Reviewed December 17, 2007

This was my first time to Kauai, and it was a beautiful place and I would definitely go back again. However, I would not stay at this resort again - please note I am a club owner but there are no special preferences given to those who are club owners (have shares through Diamond Resorts). Although it has beautiful grounds, their customer service needs major help. 1. The room was dusty and not well cleaned. 2. The pillows were lumpy and when we asked for more, we ended up with two more lumpy pillows. 3. There were twin beds in the 2nd room and we traveled with another couple who had to push the beds together. They said housekeeping would do it, but they never did. 4. We requested a room with a partial view but we had to stick our heads out the deck to see the view - bad advertising. 5. We asked for late check-out and I had to talk to 4 different people before the manager who didn't show up until 10 in the morning told us that we could have a late check by 30 minutes (check out 11 am so they let us check out at 11:30) -- and I was only asking for 1 PM, which is standard at every other place I've been to. 6. We went through the resort tour and spoke with a nice man who was extremely helpful (since he knew I was already a club owner he didn't push it -- the only thing he could try to sell was for me to buy more points & own both Lake Tahoe & Kauai), but my friends ended up with someone who was extremely rude to them, so it just depends on who you get. I don't think I would have used up so many points to stay here. My condo at Lake Tahoe has much better customer service, but I haven't been there since Diamond Resorts took over, so who knows....

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled with friends
8  Thank SJTtraveler
Reviewed November 30, 2007

My husband and I just returned from at week at the point. We traded our timeshare using Interval International. The other reviews are accurate. The grounds were absolutely beautiful. Our unit was ok, we were by ourselves in a 2 bedroom, but if another couple had joined us, I was dissapointed that the 2nd bedroom only had 2 twin beds. I am
coming to find out that when you trade your timeshare, you do not get the most desireable location at the visiting resort. My only real complaint is about the cook ware. (Also true of other timeshares we have stayed at.) Only one [--] non non-stick frying pan. It made cooking breakfasts a chore because of all the steps and you had to scrub the pan between eggs/bacon/potatoes/etc. Also, we had just been at the Point at Mauna Lani on the Big Island which was absolutely wonderful, beautiful and totally luxurious so we just went from a perfect #10 to about a 6. I am not a smoker and do not care for tobacco, but this is a non-smoking property. You can't even smoke on your lanai. You would have to go to the far end of the parking lot to smoke, so take this into condiseration.

• Stayed: November 2003, traveled as a couple
8  Thank faceratpat
Reviewed November 21, 2007

We loved the Poipu resort - it was a huge, beautiful property and the staff everywhere was friendly, helpful and made the experience relaxing and enjoyable.

Standard check in was 4 pm however we arrived early and was allowed to use the pool, and pool side grill to relax and begin our Hawaii vacation - we actually were able to check in at 3 pm once the housekeeping was completed and when we arrived our bags had already been promptly delivered to the room.

The rooms are HUGE - we had a 2 bd, 2 ba ground floor unit, altho a garden view, we were facing the ocean and could see the ocean/beachfront from our bedrooms and lanai - best of both worlds - garden view and ocean view. The place is perfect - looked like new carpet and furnishings, clean, we estimated around 1400 sq feet. It was home!

The pool was large and had a very natural feel like you were in the middle of jungle area in a pool - not deep - but not necessary if you just needed a dip or a soak after sitting in the sun.

The arrival breakfast was delicious, and the presentation helpful to get oriented with the island. The drinks and food at the pool side grill were yummy and we took advantage of that a day or two.

Altho no entertainment on site or other restaurants, Kauai had many resturant options that we were pleased with. The path to the Hyatt also enabled you to walk 5 minutes and enjoy several upscale restaurants, their beach, and the live entertainment - if you needed a little more upscale living, without having to pay the cost of staying there.

Altho Poipu doesn't have a beach per se, the Hyatts is just next door, and the Poipu Beach park is literally 3 mins drive with great snorkling, sunning, and swimming.

We loved staying here, and the staff made us feel welcome to the Garden Island of Kauai!.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled with friends
8  Thank travelSM
Reviewed October 30, 2007

I have written for Tripadvisor before and I find this site an unusual asset when travel planning, honest, and great information.

I really really liked the Point at Poipu. Is it 5 star? No. It's a timeshare place and, as such, you are essentially renting a condo. I rented a 2 bedroom 2 bath condo which felt very large compared to a standard resort room. It was myself and another adult so, although they only came once midweek to do towel and sheet service (for free, you could request more for $30) I didn't feel it was necessary because I had more than enough in the 2 bathrooms (and there's a washer/dryer in the unit, I have no problem doing a load of towels during the week).

Could some of the details have been upgraded a little? Yes, but not many. There was a mirror in the 2nd bathroom that I thought needed a touchup but, really, that was pretty much it.

I was on the 2nd floor close to the adult extra large jacuzzi (the jacuzzi had a stunning view of the ocean and I was there at the end of every day!) And it was nice having a separate area for adults.

It is true that the air conditioners are older models (not central air, actual units in the bedrooms). If you close the bedroom door the bedroom gets very cold, great to sleep in. If you close the windows to the unit and run both air conditioners, the ENTIRE unit gets cooled off. So, while there is no central air, you do have an air conditioning option which I enjoyed but, only for a couple of days, it wasn't too hot that I needed it when I was there.

The pool is huge but, yes, it's not deep, I think the previous write-up mentioned a depth of 4 ft. and that's probably accurate. Again, though, if you have children this would be perfect.

You can walk to the Hyatt in 3 minutes if you want to enjoy the sand (although that's a really rough beach for swimming and not child appropriate) or you can take a 5 minute drive to Poipu Beach where there's a protected area for children and some great snorkeling.

Now, the deal...I paid $549 for 7 nights for the 2 bedroom 2 bath unit. That equals $79/night AND I didn't have to go to a timeshare presentation (although they did leave a voicemail midweek asking if I'd like to for some perks...I didn't). Lets just say I've gotten good at figuring out how to shop for travel deals.

I've been to Kauai 7 or 8 times, have stayed at the Hyatt, Sheraton, Poipu Kapili, Kiahuana Plantation, and once at the Princeville Resort. The Hyatt will always be my first choice but, you pay for that level of service and amenities.

We actually went to the Hyatt on our last night to finish the trip. Got a great rate on Hotwire ($255) but, with a really nice dinner and good bottle of wine (to celebrate our 13th anniversary) and a spa treatment for my other half, we spent more on that one night than we did on 7 at the Point at Poipu. It was worth it but, having 7 days in paradise and not breaking the bank was priceless!!

I'm watching a deal now to go back in 3 weeks for even less!

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple