“10 minute stop”

$115.00*
Kauai: Waimea Canyon and Fern Grotto Kauai
Ranked #5 of 32 things to do in Poipu
More attraction details
Owner description: Water forced through a lava tube produces hissing and a plume of spray.
Reviewed July 13, 2013

We first seen this when we went here 10 years ago, and decided to stop here in 5/13. The first time we went there it held more of a mystery to us. I guess we knew to expect this time around. I never get tired of the scenery. It is a water spout that is caused by the force of the waves coming in from the ocean. There is plenty of parking. They still have the vendors in the parking lot. Worth the stop.

Reviewed July 12, 2013

I suppose one could consider Spouting Horn to be Kauai's version of a geyser. It is fun to watch -- and listen to -- the water spout from below the heavy rocks, and I suppose one could use one's imagination to consider the rocks a whale and the water spewing from its blowhole ... but that's about all that's worth seeing. Once, and for just a few moments. I was more impressed with the vista from the shore ... looking out over the vast sea.

Reviewed July 11, 2013

This is a really neat natural feature where ocean waves push water up in a geyser through a "blow hole" in the rocks on shore. There is parking for a few dozen cars, tour busses, etc. You will find bathrooms, and a viewing platform to view the spout. Like many other places in Hawaii, this leaves you wondering what it was like before it was developed as an attraction. If I had been on a hike, and found this place out in the middle of nowhere, it would have been 11 stars. That aside, this is a great 10 min. stop, and I would recommend it if you are in the area.

Reviewed July 10, 2013

This is a very unique experience I think everyone should view on their visits to Kauai. I was amazed how the waves and water could generate enough force to make the water spout out 30-40 feet high into the air.

Reviewed July 10, 2013

Destination from car or boat. We viewed while waiting for next dive and got to see great view of the waves coming up through the rock.