“Food was different, service & setting great”

Plantation Gardens Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Plantation Gardens Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 37 Restaurants in Poipu
Cuisines: Seafood, Hawaiian
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups, Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: Plantation Gardens Restaurant & Bar is located in a beautifully restored plantation manor on the Hawaiian Island of Kauai. Dating back to the 1930's, the estate once served as the plantation manager's home for Hawaii's first sugar plantation, the Koloa plantation. Later, the estate was acquired by the Moir Family who built the world famous gardens that surround the restaurant. Our menu reflects the heritage of old plantation Hawaii, which celebrates the abundance and beauty of the Hawaiian Islands. Our fresh fish is caught daily by local fishermen in waters off Kauai. We use organically grown vegetables and herbs picked fresh on nearby farms and from our own gardens. Guests may choose to dine on our lanai overlooking tranquil gardens, lily ponds and tropical foliage or in our exquisitely refurbished dining room which features gorgeous Brazilian cherry wood floors, woven bamboo tables and plantation ceiling fans.
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Food wasn't plentiful, but for Poipu it didn't seem that expensive. The restaurant and gardens are beautiful. We sat on the patio and in the bar and had a great night. The service was very good across the board, friendly and almost too fast! We got the appetizer sampler, and really enjoyed all but the corn fritters (a little flavorless). The fish (a daily special) I had was very good - lobster mashed potatoes were interesting, in a good way. The kids meals were well received, and the chicken tenders were real chicken, which sometimes isn't the case :) The lamb dish my co-diner ordered had a bit too much ginger, but otherwise no complaints. A very pleasant evening out!

1  Thank Traveler200951

Reviewed January 1, 2013

We went for my husband's birthday with a group of 13 aged from 8 to 80. I had spent a lot of time researching places and chose Plantation Gardens for the ambience and menu. Before our visit, I came across a negative review in a guidebook, which made me a little concerned, but it turned out to be completely out of date. Everything about our dinner was truly excellent. The place itself is beautiful, quite elegant and historic without being stuffy. Our table was ready the moment we arrived, despite being the height of the holiday season. Service was attentive and friendly. Food and drinks were all very very good - and not as outrageously priced as some of the other good restaurants in the area. This was one of the two best meals we had in Hawaii. A great choice if you are visiting Kauai.

Reviewed January 1, 2013

This is a lovely restaurant - recommend the fish it was lovely!
Service was great and atmosphere was lovely.

1  Thank Girlcoops
Reviewed December 30, 2012

We spent last night at the Plantation Gardens Restaurant. When making reservations I requested a table on the veranda. We were seated immediately and ordered our Hawaiian frou-frou drinks - my husband tried the lavender pina colada which he enjoyed but I thought tasted like a sachet in my drawer at home. My daughters enjoyed the fruit smoothies. I ordered a bottle of wine.
I loved the grilled fish and one daughter ordered the pork tenderloin which was delicious - especially the accompanying potatoes with bacon. My husband order the pork special and was disappointed.
Service was great. Atmosphere couldn't be beat.
Make a reservation and give it a try. If I had to recommend only one restaurant in the Poipu area, I'd have to go with the Beach House. But if you're looking for 2 recommendations, the Beach House AND the Plantation Gardens.
Enjoy!

Reviewed December 30, 2012

As busy as things were on Christmas Eve, we were able to make a reservation at the time we wanted. The menu selection was wonderful, and everyone in our party of 8 raved about the food.

1  Thank Hugh and Kathy R