“Featured on the Travel Channel - worth a stop”
Review of Puka Dog

Puka Dog
Ranked #8 of 37 Restaurants in Poipu
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Takeout
Neighborhood: Koloa
Reviewed July 16, 2007

We went here twice for lunch. I like hot dogs, and I thought the hot dogs themselves were ok - either polish sausage or veggie dogs. The come in home made bread with your choice of mustard and relish and are about $6 a piece. I must say I would recommend it, only as a novelty. Both times we were there, there was a line to order. It said they were mentioned on the travel channel, so perhaps that generated some business. For $6 a hot dog, I'd like a piece of that business!

2  Thank khot
Write a ReviewReviews (2,850)

Reviewed June 10, 2007

My husband and I ate at Puka Dog several times during our trip to Kauai in December '06. As the other reviewers have said, they're not cheap - bargain hunters may have a bit of a problem paying $6+ for a hot dog, but remember you're on vacation - the price didn't bother us because they were very tasty, fun to eat, and fast.

We ate there so many times because my husband got a bit addicted to the mango and pineapple relishes - I tried them as well, but prefer my Puka dog with mild sauce, lilikoi mustard, and ketchup!
The lemonade is also a must. :-)

We're in the process of booking our next trip to Kauai, and I've been asked to set aside a "Puka Dog budget" - I think my husband would make the trip just for these!

If you're visiting Kauai you have to try them at least once!
Amma

p.s. We are vegetarians, so my review is based on the veggie dogs, not the polish sausage variety.

3  Thank amma_cha
Reviewed May 22, 2007

We ate at Puka Dog twice during our visit to Kauai.
Delicious! Yummy dogs, and luscious toppings. And the lemonade was great, too.
My view is that when you are in Hawaii, you can expect
high prices. So what--you are in vacation! Enjoy yourself and dont fret over the pennies. You can't put a price on fun!

4  Thank stracci2000
Reviewed May 12, 2007

What a treat! My whole family loved them. Puka Dog was a great place for a quick lunch and we went there more than once during our week stay in Poipu. The counter people were really friendly and made you feel welcome. We had both the regular and veggie dogs and they were very tasty. We tried different garlic sauces and fruit relishes which were very unique and quite good. The fresh squeezed lemonade was wonderful too. Not the cheapest hot dog you'll buy at $6+, but they were good sized. I'd go back there in a heartbeat.

1  Thank eac555
Reviewed May 4, 2007

My wife and I visited Puka Dog for lunch on 4/30/07, based on the recommendation from a friend. The staff was friendly and service was good. The dogs themselves don't live up to the hype. I tried the sausage dog with spicy garlic sauce, lilikoi mustard and mango relish. The dog was ok, but the garlic sauce had absolutely no flavor or kick and there was so much sweet mango relish it overpowered any other flavors. My advice....Skip it.

3  Thank Bluesboy850