“Second visit after 7 years. Huge disappointment”
Review of Puka Dog

Puka Dog
Ranked #10 of 37 Restaurants in Poipu
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Takeout
Neighborhood: Koloa
Reviewed September 5, 2013 via mobile

We were here 7 years ago and loved the relish and and dogs. So much I signed up for a franchise notice when they decide to franchise the restaurant. Wow have they changed. The "relish" is now a paste or spread. I had their "hot" spicy polish dog and there was nearly no flavor to it. It's really too bad they have commercialized their flavors to make more money instead of authentic original Hawaiian flavors in the relish. This tourist trap is now just that.

2  Thank Joe S
Write a ReviewReviews (2,956)

Reviewed September 5, 2013

We each got a Puka dog; mine was the veggie and my wife's was the polish sausage. We liked the pineapple relish the best. After we each got one, we split a 3rd one. Definitely not healthy but the taste was unbelievable, best hot dogs we have ever eaten!

Reviewed September 5, 2013

This is now going to be a Must Have when we come to Kauai! I've seen complaints about the size of the buns vs the size of the dogs, but I did not have this problem at all. I was skeptical about the lemon garlic 'sauce' and the relishes, but went with the recommended low spice sauce and mango relish and I was in heaven! My husband got a spicier sauce, but didn't tell a difference between the spiciness of his and mine. We also got some of the lilkoi (passionfruit) mustard which was a fun addition, and I'm not a big mustard fan! I was skeptical a hot dog would really fill me, but it really did! The hot dog, lemonade (which was ok, but not as tart as I like) and a bag of chips I shared with my husband were a fantastic lunch and just right for a nice, hot, beach day!

Seating in the tiny restaurant is very limited, there is seating just outside as well, though.

Reviewed September 4, 2013

Great to have veggie dogs on the menu here...My only complaint is that i was expecting the relish to be like a traditional crunchy relish and it was more like a runny custard. Wasn't too much a fan of the consistency, but taste was good. I'll take what i can get when it comes to finding a veggie hotdog stand. Glad to have them on the island.

Reviewed September 4, 2013

very expensive for a hotdog. good, but not any better than roasting on a stick with lots of sourcroute