“Absolutely beautiful dining experience”
Review of Dondero's

Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Koloa
Cross street: Ainako
Description: Dondero’s, will satisfy your soul as well as your appetite. Combining elegant ambiance with stellar service makes this a dining favorite for those with discriminating taste. The menu features Italian classics with a fresh twist including a large selection of appetizers, homemade pastas, risotto, fresh fish and beef specialties. This delicious Italian cuisine is carefully paired with wines from all over the world. Delectable desserts and a cappuccino or port round out the repast.
Reviewed January 9, 2013

Being our first night in the resort we loved this place - food excellent and service from Alexandro was fabulous. He made us fel very special.

There are newer reviews for Dondero's

Reviewed January 8, 2013

The decor is out dated and felt like ahaving dinner at a fancy aunt's house. No consideration taken for the locale or views. The service was impeccable and I wish the food matched.While the presentation was beautiful, the taste of many of the dishes was just okay. I've had much better back home.

Reviewed January 8, 2013

On our second night on Kaua'i and after encountering an upset stomach earlier in the day, we opted to go with Italian food, as possible safer option heading into Day Three. We did enjoy a glass of wine - pretty average white wine from the Northwest. My girlfriend ordered the angel hair pasta dish, probably the safest option on the menu in her opinion; she thought it was pretty average, maybe even below average. I was a bit more adventurous and went with a scallops dish, and I was rewarded accordingly with one of the more tastier dishes I enjoyed while on Kaua'i. I wouldn't necessarily classify the scallops dish as "Italian", but it might have been served over pasta.

The service at the restaurant was good. In hindsight, we probably should have asked to be seated outside since the air conditioning inside was fairly brutal. Dondero's is a nice restaurant, and based on my own experience, I recommend going with a fancier dish to avoid an average experience.

Reviewed January 6, 2013

The service personnel and wait staff are excellent. They clearly want to please.
The kitchen, although, leaves a lot to be desired. It always amazes me to see that people around me eat whatever is put in front of them without reflecting on what it is they are eating or how good it is. The food was not very good. Their calamari appetizer is a small portion with too much crust and very tough calamri. Their soups are thin with scant ingredients in a big bowl shallow amount serving. Their sauces for the entres seem to be cooked down to be too thick and extraodinarly salty. I asked ohers who ate here as to their thoughts and they confirmed the thick and too salty sauce issues. Be aware that shrimp dishes likely use shrimp which was frozen and then over cooked, in every dish. It was tough and tastless. Other shellfish was also tough. Our entres were served after people who came in after us finished their full meals. That was also the kitchen's fault.
You would think that for the resort prices they charged, they could do a little better. Their wines are quite expensive. Over four times retail.

Question-- why can't people who are out to enjoy a nice meal leave their mobile devices someplace of just off?
If you are captive at the resort and want to go to Donderos ask for patio seating.

2  Thank TomWall60
Reviewed December 4, 2012

This was the only thing at the Grand Hyatt that I found a bit disappointing. This restaurant was not up to the standards of other nice Italian restaurants at which I have eaten, and I have eaten at lots and lots of them. The osso buco was just OK (I regularly order it at Italian restaurants) and the risotto my dinner companion had was also just OK. Service was slow also. Tidepools at the Hyatt is a far superior choice.

1  Thank Wolverine73