“Good but not my favorite”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Tidepools

Tidepools
Reserve with OpenTable
Tidepools is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 37 Restaurants in Poipu
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Polynesian, Hawaiian, Contemporary
Good for: Scenic view, Special occasions, Families with children, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Ainako
Description: Embrace the tempting combination of contemporary Hawaiian cuisine served in a unique Hawaiian setting. Thatched-roof bungalows float above a koi-filled lagoon at the base of a waterfall to create romantic ambiance. Inspired by local ingredients and the rich culinary traditions of Hawaii
Wilmington, North Carolina
“Good but not my favorite”
Reviewed August 15, 2014

Some people may swoon over the Grand Hyatt, but I had a different reaction. The grounds would be beautiful anywhere else, but in Kauai where nature is amazing, I was struck by an artificial feel - from the man-made lagoons to the koi ponds around the restaurant - I felt like I was in an artificial paradise. Give me the more beachy ocean front Mediterranean gourmet or the Beach House restaurant with actual ocean views. I also felt the huts of the restaurant were a little muggy. Dinner is expensive and it was good but not "I have to eat there again" good. I feel I am most likely in a minority in my opinion - but that is my take.

Visited August 2014

• Korean first
San Mateo, California
“Very Good--average Food,Inattentive Service”
Reviewed August 13, 2014 via mobile

The nice setting and menu with some interesting selections was compromised by poor service. For a place with such a pricy menu I expected much more.

Binbrook, Canada
“Artistry on your Plate”
Reviewed August 12, 2014

This restaurant came highly recommended as a perfect romantic honeymoon dinner location and it certainly didn't disappoint. Diners are seated in one of several thatched roof open air rooms with gorgeous views of the Grand Hyatt lagoon and setting sun. Although it rained a few times during our dinner, it didn't seem to affect the guests seated adjacent to the water. The tables are reasonably spaced and while the restaurant was busy, we didn't feel crowded.

Service was prompt and courteous, but the real magic at Tidepools is on your plate. We started with the Ono Ceviche (served in a half coconut shell) which both looked and tasted incredible. This was followed by Macadamia Encrusted Mahi Mahi (a Hawaiian cliche - but you have to have it at least once) and Red Snapper (melt in your mouth delicious). The presentation of our meals was so perfect we almost didn't want to eat them (but we were glad that we did)! We even saved room to share a dessert. Portion sizes are not large but we certainly did not leave hungry. Tidepools is a touch on the expensive side but definitely worth the splurge for a special occasion (you are in Kauai so every night qualifies as a special occasion).

After a very satisfying meal, we completed our evening with a moonlight stroll through the Hyatt grounds and along Shipwreck beach. Absolute paradise!

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank Steve S
Boston, Massachusetts
“Honeymoon”
Reviewed August 9, 2014

Views were great, food was good. We ate in the bar area without a reservation and they served the same menu.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank Lauren R
Seattle, Washington
“Dinner with friends”
Reviewed August 9, 2014 via mobile

We ate dinner at Tidepools on August 4th. The grounds at the Hyatt are beautiful and the food was Fabulous. Wilma provided excellent service. The dinner was a little pricey but SO worth it. A definite must for a romantic or even special family dinner.