“A Special Dinner at Tidepools”
Review of Tidepools

Tidepools
Ranked #4 of 38 Restaurants in Poipu
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse, Hawaiian, Contemporary
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Ainako
Description: Embrace the tempting combination of contemporary Hawaiian cuisine served in a unique Hawaiian setting. Thatched-roof bungalows float above a koi-filled lagoon at the base of a waterfall to create romantic ambiance. Inspired by local ingredients and the rich culinary traditions of Hawaii
Venice, Florida
“A Special Dinner at Tidepools”
Reviewed January 22, 2014

We have been to this restaurant several times over the years and generally, we have to agree with many other reviewers that feel the food does not quite equal the setting. But this year they surprised us. Our food was VERY good and of course the atmosphere is great. My husband's diver scallops very fabulous and my Hawaiian seafood was excellent. The service was attentive and the weather was perfect (even if they can't be credited for that.) Maybe I'm just a sucker for torchlit koi pods around me. But we enjoyed our evening there very much.

• Visited January 2014

• Korean first
“Below average...”
Reviewed January 19, 2014 via mobile

Below average for the cost, view doesn't make up for the food. After living in NYC and a San Francisco suburb for many years my wife and I have experienced many michelin star restaurants it was disappointing. The food at Tidepools was fine. Not on our list to return to. (Keep in mind this entire meal was covered by my wife's points: it was free and we still were disappointed)

Chicago, Illinois
“Great meal in a fabulous setting...but watch out for mosquitos”
Reviewed January 17, 2014

We had a fantastic meal at this great restaurant, but about half way through our dinner, my husband said "we have to leave, I'm being eaten alive"...I didn't notice the mosquito bites until the next day, but boy, I had 20 or more bites on my legs (really big ones). Tidepools is surrounded by Koi ponds, etc, and I'm sure that's where the mosquitoes come from. So,if you go, expect a fabulous meal, but wear a lot of repellant, or ask for a table far away from the water. But for the ferocious mosquitoes, I would have given Tidepools 5 stars.

• Visited December 2013
Portland, ME
“Surprisingly great food”
Reviewed January 16, 2014 via mobile

In our many visits to Kauai, we have avoided Tidepools, based on a disappointing meal at Dondero's years ago and fearing Tidepools would be more about ambiance than the food. How wrong we were! Yes, we had a fabulous, lagoon-side table but the food, in all courses, was very good and well-presented. Our waiter Andy, was genuinely friendly and very attentive, including following up with another staff member on how lava rocks walls are made. Our son recommended we give Tidepools a try and we are glad we followed his advice!

Visited January 2014
Home Base - Massachusetts
“Beautiful setting, great service, excellent food...”
Reviewed January 12, 2014

This is a wonderful place. The setting around the pools of the Hyatt are special. So peaceful and soothing as soon as you sit down at your table. Our waitress Marta was fabulous. Polite, helpful, interesting and experienced. She enhanced our meal. Highlights included the tempura Ahi. Great. The macadamia nut Mahi Mahi was terrific. The chicken was moist and tasty. Filet was cooked perfectly. The tables are not too close together allowing for enjoyable conversations with others at your table. Tai chi was the perfect drink to get us started. Perfect for a family dinner or a date night. Looking forward to returning.

• Visited January 2014

Been to Tidepools? Share your experiences!