“Absolutely Fantastic Experience!!!”

Cuisines: Asian, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed May 22, 2010

Just came back from dinner at Roy's. The total experience from the menu note congratulating us on our marriage to the food...desert..service were excellent!! We have eaten at Merriman's....Makana Terrace....Kauai Grill....Red Salt but no doubt in my wife's and my mind that Roy's was #1.

Reviewed May 21, 2010

I thought that the meal was fantastic. The highlights were the appetizers- Ahi Poke and the Ahi Tuna Roll. Just perfect. I had the monchong in a coconut curry broth that I loved and my husband had the filet, which he liked but didn't rave about. On the other hand, he did rave about the chocolate souffle he had for dessert. Great service even though they were busy. Will definately dine here again next time we are in Kauai.

Reviewed May 17, 2010

But if I had one fancy meal to do in Poipu I probably would not come here because of the location. I know that in general Roy Yamaguchi has made conscious decisions to NOT but his restaurants in spectacular, waterfront settings for two reasons, one, he wanted his places to be about great food and they are and two, he gets better rent at non-waterfront locations. I know lots of average food places that get crowds just for the location.

Now having said that, my family and I probably eat at Roy's every trip to Kauai & Oahu and eat at his locations in CA too because the food is great. I don't need a view to enjoy a great meal.

But if I lived in places without great views of the Pacific and i was doing a once in a lifetime meal in Poipu (or once every ten years) I would probably go to the Beach House, Tidepools, even Red Salt to incorporate the view.

There would be trouble with the DW and DM though if we didn't come here for the snapper and the short ribs so my father could embarrass us all by picking up the bones and gnawing off every shred of meat on them.

I am generally a fan of the Roy's Trio.

Reviewed May 9, 2010

Always fab food. The service is stellar. Like watching a dance as the staff moves efficiently to create lovely experiences for their guests. We had our 20th anniversary dinner here, and were surprised at the extra touches -if a bit kitschy- personalized greeting in menu, etc. We've been to the Roy's on Maui, then again the Kauai location, never disappointed.
Atmosphere lacks, but heck, it's nighttime. Their chocolate lava cake has become an icon. not to be missed.

Returned the last evening to have pupu's and drinks. A great choice.

Reviewed May 7, 2010

The ambience is irrelevant to its location. You might as well be having dinner in Cleveland. The food would be acceptable if it were free but at these prices it should be special. It barely achieves mediocrity. If you believe expensive is necessarily synonymous with quality then Roy's Poipu is for you.