“Great Food, but Extremely Pricey”
Review of Roy's Poipu Bar & Grill - CLOSED

Roy's Poipu Bar & Grill
Cuisines: Asian, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed July 3, 2014

Roy's is located in a shopping center across from the Kiuhanna Plantation Condos, and is within walking distance from Kapili, the Sheraton, and the Marriott. The restaurant seems rather out of place in my opinion, typically you see 3 or 4 star restaurants with reasonable prices in shopping centers like these, especially in Poipu. Keoki's for example is in the same shopping center, and I feel matches the mood and atmosphere. Roy's is more similar to the Rum Fire restaurant at the Sheraton, or Merrimans located in the Kuku'lai shopping center which both have stunning views of the water and sunsets. I feel they can charge more for the same food because of the view/atmosphere and experience created by their location. However there is no view at Roy's, and the sounds of shoppers doesn't quite provide a 5 star quality dining experience.

We were interested in something more low key, so decided to sit in their bar area thinking there would be more economical food options. Again we chose this because we were shopping in the center, and weren't necessarily dressed for a 5 star fine dining restaurant. The food was very good, however we were disappointed that there was only one menu whether you sat in the bar area or in the main restaurant - also mind you the bar is across the shopping center hallway and is completely open, so again you get the noise of shoppers and children walking by. I got the Kailani mixed green salad to start ($11), the presentation was very impressive. For my meal, I chose a small appetizer - the Local Khine Ahi Poke ($17.95) with a side of Asparagus ($6). Again the presentation was certainly 5 star gourmet, but the portion size was certainly lacking for the price we paid. My colleague tried the meatloaf, again spectacular presentation and high quality food.

I have to say though the staff is extremely attentive, and do go out of their way to make your experience enjoyable. This is the only reason I rated Roy's with a 4 instead of a 3. Upon checkin they ask you for your name and hotel (not sure why, but I found out later). The server then calls you by name, which provides a more personal experience. Later, I accidentally left my cell phone at the table. They were able to call my hotel and leave me a message, just in time for me to return that night to retrieve it. Very thoughtful of the staff, and shows they are committed to taking care of their guests anyway they can.

I would suggest if you are looking for amazing food with the 5 star atmosphere that really compliments it, I'd head over to places closer to the beach/shore that have nice views.

Reviewed July 2, 2014

I had a Carabbas gift card in my wallet and I remembered that along with Outback Steakhouse and the Bonefish Grill, Roy's was a part of the parent company's organization. Having never eaten at Roy's, we decided to go. We were not disappointed. The staff was attentive and friendly, the food was prepared and served with class, and the meal was thoroughly enjoyable. And since my wife's birthday was a couple of day earlier, they provided us with a very tasty dessert. We really enjoyed the experience.

Reviewed June 30, 2014 via mobile

We had a nice meal here for our anniversary. The food was good. They had a special dessert for our anniversary that was really nice. Just wish it was in a better location.

Reviewed June 26, 2014

This place is fantastic! Absolutely amazing. They are detail oriented! Great service and awesome food. Extra touches when they found out we were on our honeymoon. Super impressed!!!

1  Thank Jennibutch
Reviewed June 26, 2014

I enjoyed this place 4 years ago and when I went back this May I was not disappointed. The service, food, presentation of food and selection of wines is par for Roy's.