“Great view, excellent food, attentive staff”

Beach House Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Beach House Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #9 of 37 Restaurants in Poipu
Cuisines: Seafood, Hawaiian
Good for: Scenic view, Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Known as "one of the most romantic restaurants in the world," this breathtaking oceanfront, open-air restaurant has earned the prestigious Honolulu Magazine's Hale Aina's Best Restaurant award, 16 years in a row. Other notable achievements are Wine Spectator's Award of Excellence and Zagat Survey's "Recognized for Excellence" award. The restaurant boasts a progressive Pacific Rim cuisine with an Asian influence. If you are looking for a memorable dining experience, be it lunch or dinner, the Beach House offers it all: food, service, an extensive wine list and a spectacular view. Vegetarian, Gluten Free, Children Menus Available
Reviewed August 18, 2009

This is the perfect restaurant to celebrate a special occasion. The view is spectacular and the food is out of the world. My wife and I ordered all seafood dishes for appetizers and entrees, and every single item was prepared to perfection. The waitress was friendly and attentive. While it is an expensive restaurant, it isn't that bad compared to some in mainland (like those in the metro DC area).

Write a ReviewReviews (4,956)

Reviewed August 17, 2009

I celebrated with 7 of us for a big birthday at the Beach House on August 7. I can only really copy the other reviews. Perfect location, great food, fabulous and friendly staff. My work colleagues at home in Australia had rung in advance and surprised us with a bottle of champagne and a birthday cake for us to celebrate. A lovely surprise. I would recommend it for anyone. Congratulations to all the staff for a perfect night for 7 Aussies.

Reviewed August 17, 2009

I had dinner with my husband at Beach House Restaurant and thought that while it was good, it could have been better, especially for the prices they charged. The location of the restaurant and the accompanying view are beautiful. I think this is their main draw. We started with drinks in the bar, each of us ordering a martini with which we were both pleased. The drinks we decently sized (not mini-martinis like they serve at Roy's) and not too expensive (only $8.25, even cheaper than some of the nice restaurants in Los Angeles). When we were seated we were disappointed to find that we did not get the "best table" like we had requested (twice). In fact when we asked if we could be seated in the row of tables closer to the windows we were told that everyone requests those tables and that the people who were lucky enough to get them had requested them when they made their reservations. We had also requested this when we made our reservation and again when we got to the restaurant but I guess we did not make a strong enough impression on them. The hostess then told me that all the front tables had recently been sat and would likely not be leaving for a long time making the wait sound unappealing. This was not exactly true though since two sitting to our left were both on the desert course and another table already had their bill. I have over a decade of experience in food service and it was obvious that she was trying to prevent us from getting what we wanted because she was no doubt irritated by all the haoles who insist on the "best" table. By that time I was irritated and didn't really feel in the mood to eat so this may have affected my opinion of the food. The bread they served was not great. It was warm, but slightly stale. For my appetizer I ordered the shitake crusted mussels. This could have been so much better than it was. All I could taste was the ginger garlic cream sauce and the mushrooms. If the mussels hadn't come in their shell, I might not have know they were a part of the dish. My husband had the ahi sashimi which he said was good. It was a tiny portion and when I tasted it, all I could taste was the sauce from my mussels. Next I ordered the ceaser salad which was both great and awful at the same time. The dressing was great. In fact, it was one of the best ceaser salad dressing I have had in a long time, fresh with citrus flavors. However, the salad was ruined by the copious amounts of stale bread and large flatbread crackers placed on top of it. The stale bread slices were made from the same bread as was served at the beginning of the meal and I could only image that they used leftover pieces from the table to make this oversized croutons. I am not saying they actually do this, but this is what I was imagining. My husband and I shared an entree, which was the island fish (the selection of the night was Opa) and grilled prawns. This was actually quite good. The fish was cooked well, very moist and flavorful. The prawns were a little on the undercooked side, one having a grey area, but still large and flavorful.
As far as service goes, our server was great. Very friendly and always around when we needed him and the busboys were also very eager to clear plates and refill water.
Would I eat here again? I would give this restaurant another shot if I were guaranteed to get a good table.

3  Thank TravelingNinja
Reviewed August 6, 2009

We had a wonderful dinner at the Beach House. We didn't get an appetizer, but the bread they served was very good. The salads were fresh and delicious. The fish was cooked perfectly, tender and juicy. The seafood pasta was very good as well. The steak was cooked to perfection and very tender. The desserts were terrific . It was not a cheap meal, but it was the best we had and a perfect sunset topped the evening off.

Reviewed August 1, 2009

We made a reservation for 8, including a 9 month old, 2 weeks beforehand. We were going to celebrate my wife's birthday dinner there. Thankfully I made reservations because they were busy, which is not surprising for a Saturday night. We got there at 6pm and stayed until past 8pm. At no time did we feel rushed. We did get appetizers, drinks, entrees, dessert and more drinks so that is part of the reason we were there for over 2 hours. During this time we also stepped out of the window and took numerous pictures of the sunset and various family pictures. It was beautiful.

The food and drinks were excellent. We all got seafood dinners and no one was disappointed. We felt we got our money's worth and it wasn't only because of the view. The view only made it that much better.

The service was excellent. Our waiter was patient, attentive to our needs and made some excellent recommendations.

My wife had a wonderful birthday dinner and the Beach House Restaurant exceeded our expectations for several reasons - the view, the food and the service.

1  Thank Marcel M