“What an amazing view!”

Beach House Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Beach House Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #9 of 37 Restaurants in Poipu
Cuisines: Seafood, Hawaiian
Good for: Scenic view, Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Known as "one of the most romantic restaurants in the world," this breathtaking oceanfront, open-air restaurant has earned the prestigious Honolulu Magazine's Hale Aina's Best Restaurant award, 16 years in a row. Other notable achievements are Wine Spectator's Award of Excellence and Zagat Survey's "Recognized for Excellence" award. The restaurant boasts a progressive Pacific Rim cuisine with an Asian influence. If you are looking for a memorable dining experience, be it lunch or dinner, the Beach House offers it all: food, service, an extensive wine list and a spectacular view. Vegetarian, Gluten Free, Children Menus Available
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Lahaina, Hawaii
Reviewed July 29, 2008

What an amazing view!

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook

Reviewed July 29, 2008

My wife and I had never been to Hawaii and we arrived with a desire for a nice romantic dinner at an upscale restaurant. We were referred to the Beach House by several people, even after having eaten at The Tide Pool at the Hyatt a few nights earlier. We made reservations and requested a table near the water. When we arrived we had a short wait and were seated in the back of the restaurant. We requested one of the several empty tables near the water and were told that there would be an additional 20 minute wait for those tables (many of these tables never filled and as the night wore on the place emptied out, our reservation was at 745 PM, so I don't see why we weren't able to have the table we requested).

The first appetizer brought out was not what I had ordered and our waiter was nowhere to be found so I had to find another waiter to fix the problem. Empty plates and dishes sat on our table for some time before being collected after each course and the food, while good, was nothing to write home about. My wife ordered the tenderloin and I had the catch of the day. My wife thought the tenderloin was good but my ahi was no better than than the ahi I had picked up at the grocery and grilled out the night before. All in all, I don't feel this was worth the $120 price tag that I spent. Perhaps I was just there on an off night for them but I could have gotten just as good of service at the Poipu Beach Grill or Brennekes Grill, had just as good of a view (a better one at Brennekes) and paid less than half what I wasted at the Beach House. It is safe to say that I will not be making this mistake again nor will I recommend this place to my friends.

3  Thank usaemtp
Reviewed July 26, 2008

Ask anyone on the island where to go, and the Beach House is mentioned. So we went with a party of 8. The location was fabulous, but the food was not good. One of our party ordered the Ahi tuna, and her cut (done rare) was stringy and tough. Most of the fish was over-sauced, which can work, but the sauces were sweet, cloying, and appeared to be thickened by flour or cornstarch. Staff is generally helpful and attentive, but I wish the food quality would be on par with the ambiance.

1  Thank davidputty314
Reviewed July 17, 2008

I wasnt going to write this review, but then I was reading some of the negative comments posted on here and I felt that I had to put in a good word. Granted, to each his own, but as far as I'm concerned this is the best dining experience you will have on Kauai--the service, atmosphere, and food were the best we had on the trip.

we did get a reservation in advance and asked for a table with a view of the sunset, which was granted. Others have said that you can just walk in and get seated--I wouldn't recommend this if you want to dine at sunset. we called before we even left the mainland (recommended). The menu IS pricey, but I think it is one of those rare occasions when the price is justified. drinks too were pricey, but they were potent. we didnt try any wine, but it looked extensive. I had the mac nut mahi and it was very good. my wife had the scallops and she still talks about them now 3 months after we ate there. They were the best I have ever had, bar none. One aspect I really liked was that everyone go up and took pictures in front of the sunset and just left their tables behind--the servers didnt rush anyone back to try and get them in and out.

overall a great experience, and if deciding between here, Roys, and Tidepools for an upscale experience, Beach House is a no brainer (especially considering location). Roys is in a strip mall of sorts and you can get the exact same food at any Roys in a major US city. Tidepools is in a nice setting, but if you're like me you cant stand going to a hotel to eat--it just seems lame or tacky . (I cant speak to the food at tidepools as I have never dined there).

3  Thank FLguy22
Reviewed July 11, 2008

We had dinner last week at the Beach House Restaurant ...... the view was fabulous. However, the food was just mediocre and the prices were very high. We enjoyed the food at Tidepools much more; it might be a good choice for drinks and appetizers to enjoy the view and sunset. I will certainly give the chef credit for removing one item from our bill that was completely inedible.

1  Thank bestofthewest58