“Good food, great view, terrible service”

Beach House Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Beach House Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #10 of 38 Restaurants in Poipu
Cuisines: Seafood, Hawaiian
Good for: Scenic view, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Known as "one of the most romantic restaurants in the world," this breathtaking oceanfront, open-air restaurant has earned the prestigious Honolulu Magazine's Hale Aina's Best Restaurant award, 16 years in a row. Other notable achievements are Wine Spectator's Award of Excellence and Zagat Survey's "Recognized for Excellence" award. The restaurant boasts a progressive Pacific Rim cuisine with an Asian influence. If you are looking for a memorable dining experience, be it lunch or dinner, the Beach House offers it all: food, service, an extensive wine list and a spectacular view. Vegetarian, Gluten Free, Children Menus Available
Atlanta, Georgia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good food, great view, terrible service”
Reviewed October 6, 2012

I come in now and again on business. I like to stop by the Beach House whenever in on island. This time I was given a server named Tonya. She needs to be removed from staff. I was not treated very nice at all. After we sat it took 13 minutes for her to even come to the table to see if we even wanted water. She had a Haughty attitude as if we were not welcome. She entered my order in wrong. I understand this happens, but instead of just fixing it, she explains how it's my fault the order was wrong. When dinner was over, she dropped the check without even asking us if we wanted dessert. I felt as though I was unwelcome. I will continue to come to the beach house because I love it there, but if I ever get her as a server again I would ask to move.

1 Thank Chris M

• Korean first
Scottsdale, Arizona
“Resting on Their Laurels”
Reviewed October 5, 2012

4 of us dined at the Beach House in late Sept. It was our second time there. Our dining companions had been there several times in the past. No denying that it is a spectacular place to view the gorgeous sunsets. Other than that there is not much else I can say that is very positive. We were seated in a corner, with little view or ventilation...it was hot and stuffy. I realize that this place is in demand so there was no guarantee as to seating, but it had to be close to the worst seat in the house. Service at first was prompt & courteous but once orders were taken and appetizers delivered, the next time we saw our server was after we were all done eating our entrees (runners delivered our entrees). It was pretty clear that the servers were understaffed. Ceviche appetizer was fabulous. The asparagus in the asparagus salad was almost raw. Two of the entrees were not good....my sister's ahi had an overabundance of sinew after being told it was sashimi grade and my wife's scallops that were medium rare after SPECIFICALLY requesting medium well. I happen to like medium rare scallops so I gave her my wasabi crusted ..it was either opa or ono...and I ate her scallops. If our server had checked in from time to time we would have had the opportunity to say something and everything could have been corrected at that time. But we didn't see her until after all the entrees were done. To the credit of the manager...who had delivered the entrees...she visited our table personally and profusely apologized and rightly comped the ahi & the scallops. The service & food that night came no where near the level one would expect of a restaurant of the Beach House's reputation. On our next visit to Kauai, Beach House Restaurant will NOT be on our list of "must visit".

1 Thank Orient_Ex_Travel
La Habra Heights, California, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great view and ambiance but pricey”
Reviewed October 5, 2012

We had a ceviche, it was ok. Also had fish tacos which were lukewarm. Beautiful setting on the beach but pricey. We also had a salad with 4 shrimp ($10 extra), 2 sodas and 1 beer and the total bill with an 18% tip was $80. I would go again for the view and ambiance but not necessarily for the food. The waitress was very friendly and seemed eager to please us.

• Visited October 2012
Patterson, California
“Location, location, location, and that's where it ended...”
Reviewed October 5, 2012

What an awesome location! After a 25 minute wait (with reservations) and listening to how the hostess staff was going to deal with the back log, we finally were seated. The food was good, but the waiter and bus staff seemed to have a chip on their shoulders. They almost tossed menus and bread at you as they passed your table. Ladies room was dirty and out of staples like hand towels and TP.

• Visited September 2012
“Spectacular location, good food, average service”
Reviewed October 4, 2012

By all accounts the Beach House is probably the most popular restaurant in the Poipu area and that was echoed by the hard time we had getting a reservation, apparently there was a 3 month wait for a table at either 6pm or 7pm, so you have been warned to book well in advance! We got an 8pm reservation and came around 7pm to enjoy the sunset in the bar. The location is spectacular, try and get a table at the open air windows directly facing the ocean rather than an inside table.
We thought the food at the Beach House was good but just slightly below the standard of Merriman’s. We felt the sashimi grade ahi tuna was spoiled by the accompanying sauce but the wasabi crusted ono was excellent. The one thing we were truly disappointed in was the service, our waiter just did not seem that interested in us or his job in general, I would hope that if we go back that service would be improved. Overall a good experience but it could be so much better.

• Visited June 2012