“Would try another Luau”
Review of Aulii Luau

Aulii Luau
Ranked #1 of 2 Concerts & Shows in Poipu
More attraction details
Owner description: An Intimate and Authentic experience in an Exquisite Setting on Po'ipu Beach. Kaua'i's only oceanfront Lu'au located at the Beach Lawn at Sheraton Kaua'i Resort. As the sun sets, treasure this truly mesmerizing setting as you indulge in island culinary treats with the Pacific Ocean as the backdrop. Our traditional-style luau offers a lavish buffet and authentic entertainment featuring award-winning dancers taking you on an alluring voyage weaving tales of Kaua'i and Polynesia into exciting songs & dances.
Reviewed July 11, 2014

We went to the Sheraton Aulii Luau because it was close to our condo. I guess for my first luau I wanted more of a production, maybe I should have tried the Grand Hyatt instead. They had two smaller stages and split their performers so that all attending the luau could see. We had purchased the premier seating and did get seated within the first two rows, which was nice, and also got to go through the buffet line first. I was disappointed in the food, too sweet, nothing tasted like I wanted to go back for seconds. The drinks they served didn't have much alcohol in them, maybe I should have just had wine. On a good note, we did enjoy the Hawaiian band and singer, very nice.

2  Thank fishman620
Urahutia P, Public Relations Manager at Aulii Luau, responded to this reviewResponded September 2, 2014

Mahalo fishman620 for your review. We are sorry you were not satisfied with your evening. We will be using your feedback to try to improve the overall experience for future guests. Aloha!

Reviewed July 6, 2014

I am at a loss as to how this luau has an average of a 4 star rating.

First the positives:
Location - very nice setting on the edge of the beach. Saw a beautiful sunset.
Hostess - ver good and personable.
Staff - genuinely friendly and helpful.
Dancers and drummers - all quite good and the fire dancer was wonderful.

So - why the 1 star you ask. If you are looking for a traditional luau and good Hawaiian food as we were - save your $100 per person and go somewhere else.

Food was average. A couple of good things but the biggest disappointment was the pig. Guessing it was not roasted in the ground in the traditional way. At other luaus the pig roasting area is a centerpiece. Here - the shredded pork comes out of the kitchen and placed on the table. Fine if it was really good - but it was cold and flavorless.

The show. About 1/2 was traditional Hawaiian luau (based on the 3 shows I've been too) and the other 1/2 was - as my wife put it - CHEESY. The Rock Hula in honor of Elvis? Awful. Many others bad too. The dancers were good - but the person who created the show needs to find a new job. The band playing during appetizers was fine - but the band played throughout the show! I much prefer the simple native drums and instruments the dancers use during some dances. The band was too much and again added to the cheesy factor.

The worst - the dancers outfits. In all seriousness - you could buy them at Party City! Bright green PLASTIC grass skirts? Fluorescent colored PLASTIC lei's? Polyester hawaiian shirts and skirts? Awful.

We talked about leaving during the show it got so bad - as did the family next to us. The saving grace was the one fire dancer - he was amazing. Not amazing enough to save this awful show though.

I can only assume that the 4 and 5 star reviews are from people that have not seen a traditional luau. Not sure - but we were not fans. Such a shame as they have a great location and are taking in BIG $$ every show. Wish they would invest that in better food, costumes and a new show coordinator.

7  Thank LostWages21
Reviewed July 4, 2014

I looked at many other luaus in Kauai before deciding on the Aulii Luau. The Aulii Lauai is the only outdoor Luau in Kauai. The setting makes BIG difference. Having this Luau on the shores of Poipu beach with the wind blowing, swaying palms, and waves crashing around you is an unforgettable and memorable experience. The food is outstanding. The premium setting is well worth the experience; you get to sit up front and you have a more personalized service. I do encourage you to arrive early at the 6pm check in time and go straight to the front of the line for the premium checkin. This gives you plenty of time to enjoy your drinks and appetizers,and take pictures before sunset. The show itself is awesome and very intimate; it seemed genuine and the performers really looked like they enjoyed their craft. I have never been to other luaus but I am thinking that some of the other ones are perhaps more theatrical and have more of a "broadway" effect. The live singers were amazing. The staff is very friendly and make everyone feel welcome. I highly recommend this Luau. I am sure that had it rained, and the luau was forced to be moved indoors, my review may have been different :)

1  Thank MillionMilr
Reviewed July 2, 2014 via mobile

This was our third luau, going with new Hawaii travelers, expecting the same old stuff. We were pleasantly surprised by the friendly staff and wide variety of delicious food. The show was good and moved fast. We paid for premium seats and were seated fast, got nice leis, we're first to go thru buffet and were served drinks during dinner, not having to fight thru bar lines.

Reviewed June 20, 2014

I didn't expect much but I really enjoyed myself, I though the quality of the performers were great, the food was okay but I didn't have high expectations. Pay the extra for the Preferred seats, well worth it and you get a fresh lei!

1  Thank TravelbugOklahoma