“Great family resort for Kauai”

Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Poipu
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 13, 2005

I read a lot of the reviews on this board before trading our Aruba Surf Club week for this place. It was everything everyone said it was. My wife and two children - 71/2 and 4 1/2, had a great time time. Terrifically relaxing. Nice and accomodating people.
The only drawback was we had a first floor apartment and our ocean view would come only when we sat on the lounge chairs outside our door. Actually, for the kids it was great easy-in-easy out access and we weren't in the room much anyway!
A couple of other negatives before I start raving. Marritt timeshares use the cheapest bathroom fans and dishwashers. It sounds like a helecopter is taking off in the room when any of them are on. Twice or three times I heard someone else's shower. The garbage sometimes piles up in the basement parking area at the foot of the elevators because the disposal rooms on each floor aren't kept open and aren't clearly marked. There, I said it. Those are the drawbacks.
The property, which consists of a series of contiguous hales (buildings) creating a semi-circle with a narrow opening at the ocean, is very well maintained. Sure the walls of the hallways have a slight institutional look, but who cares. The apartments are well-appointed, nicely furnished, with a huge soaking tub and big shower in the master bedroom and a nice kitchen area and den. You could fit 6 adults comfortably. There are activities on site every day, most with a small fee, such as hula dancing lessons, shell nechklace making, and lei making all with a fee. The concierge desk was very helpful. They have their preferred vendors, but there were all very good. Nothing is cheap. Horseback riding for two hours ia $200. A boat ride up the Napali Coast is $340 for a family of 4 with two small kids. This is the same in any vacation site - the prices are similar to Aruba. But Hawaii has Aruba beat in so many way except for how far it is from NJ.
There are three pools, a kiddie pool that doesn't look like one at all that is situated adjacent to the beach and has the best view for the many chairs set up there. Then there's a large central pool with waterfalls, and a third pool further back from the beach wasn't very heavily used. The second two pools have hot tubs. There's a nice playground area for small children and there's a grilling area with 4 huge gas kenmore grills built into a large circular cooking surface. The time-share sales team is ever-present. People are constantly being walked around the place in exchange for the $100 gift certificates and the presentation is interesting. You have to expect some pressure but it is above-board.
My wife used our certificate for a massage in a small tent near the beach.
Some of the posters on this site also mention the horrible remmmmnants of a hotel destroyed by Hurricane Inike in 1992 that is adjacent to one side of the resort. The timeshare people tell me that there was a lot of legal wrangling and it is soon to be developed as a hotel. Although there is some vegtation as screeening I would not have wanted to be located in those hales. Yet, like I said, you don't spend a heck of a lot of time in the room here. Multiple-week timeshare owners get first preference for the few oceanfront rooms.
The resort is adjacent to and overlooks the Poipu Beach State Park, basically two arc-shaped beach areas. The first looks like it is Marriott property but isn't (all Hawaii Beaches are public access so far as I understand) and the second has a lifeguard and a play area (the lifeguard was so friendly he offered my 7 year old a pair of adjustable flippers and directed us to exactly the right access spot for snorkeling. The fish in these two areas were amazing, not 30-50 feet from shore in shallow water. Be careful of feeling the fish. Some of the fish are very agressive and the swarm over anyone who even looks like they have food. We saw eels, (heard sightings of turtles) tangs, unicorn and rainbow fish and lots of others that I couldn't remember. The needle fish were very plentiful in the afternoons near the surface and were ominus looking. There were a couple of seals sitting on the beach sunning themselves, surrounded by hastily-installed ropes to keep you a few feet away.
The resort is in Poipu Beach; Koloa is a small cute town about 3-4 miles away. Sprouting Horn is a natural tide geyser not far away with some cute stalls selling local chatshis. You are a short walk from a well hidden shopping area with a Roy's restaurant - not to mention the world famous Puka Dog stand - see Gourmet Magazine page 100 11/05 issue. The Sheraton and Hyatt are very close, as is the Poipu Bay Golf Course where the PGA Grand Slam takes place. A great Horseback riding stable is just up the road past the Hyatt. You are about 45 minutes from Waimea canyon, 25 minutes from the Airport but there's nothing you can't get in the Poipu area except things like a phone charger (drove back to the larger shopping center with a Macy's near the airport - there's also a Walmart.
The only major supermarket is north of the Airport, so most people head to the Big Save in Koloa. nice place but be prepared for sticker shock on many items from the mainland. And Pineapples are really good but no bargain here. There's a farmer's market in Koloa every Monday at noon (don't be late or the food will be gone) and Pineapples cost $5. Now flowers and coconuts cut to drink and eat, on the other hands, are very inexpensive. That coconut was $1.50 and you get to select the consistency of the meat.
I saw a lot of extended family units - grandparents with their children and the youngins. It was nice to see. This is a family resort. If this is a honeymoon - go Hyatt. For families, this is much more comfortable.

• Stayed: November 2005
60  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
There are newer reviews for Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club

Reviewed October 10, 2005

What a great place for a vacation! We really enjoyed our stay at the Waiohai Beach Club. We were there on our honeymoon, so we did not really need the extra bedroom, but when the Kauai Marriott is charging more for a standard hotel room, staying in a large condo was a much better option.

If you are trying to stay on a budget, being able to shop at the Wal Mart and Safeway in Lihue, then cook your meals in the well appointed kitchen was a great cash saver.

The property itself was very well designed, tropical lagoons, large pool, mutilple hot tubs, and a large picnic area with gas grills were a nice touch.

Because we booked the stay as a normal hotel guest, we did not have to sit through any timeshare sales.

Overall, we will most def. be back to this Kauai getaway.

• Stayed: September 2005
18  Thank jhethcox
Reviewed October 8, 2005

I wrote a review for the Waiohai a little under a year ago titled "Great for young couples". Well we just returned on Oct. 1st and the place is better than ever. I thought I would post another review with some pictures of the grounds. I haven't seen too many photos of the property.

We rarely left the resort simply because we loved the pool and beach area as well as our beautiful room. We were put in Hale 1 again on the third floor, oceanview. The abandoned building next door is harder to see now. Simply because the trees have grown fuller. Anybody who comes to this resort and is distracted by that property has issues. You have the beautiful Pacific Ocean right in front of you. Why look to your right? I don't get it? It will be gone soon anyway. I hope those people decide to vacation elsewhere.

We had great weather. It rained in the early mornings and on occasion in the afternoon. It didn't interfere with our pool time though. It usually stopped in 5 minutes at the most and then bright wonderful sunshine. The rain is a great opportunity to go in the hottub and meet some nice people.

This year we took my husband's parents and we had so much room. Just five of us in a villa that sleeps 8. Anyway I guess I could repeat a bunch of information but I'll just post the pictures and hope that speaks for the resort.

Hope this helps and again feel free to email me with any questions. dlmuzio@yahoo.com. Aloha and Mahalo!

• Stayed: September 2005
29  Thank dlmuzio
Reviewed September 10, 2005

I took my family of 5 to the Marriott resort and we all loved the room and grounds. We had a very large 2 bedroom villa with a nice kitchen and excellent views. We needed to attend a 90 minute timeshare presentation but said we were not interested and allowed to leave early. The onsite market/deli was very reasonable in price and we used the nice outdoor propane barbeque grills to cook some steaks and saved a lot of $$$.
We will definitely come back to this resort on our next trip to Kaua'i.

The location is awesome, right on PO”IPU beach with its great snorkeling. Next time we will stay for 2 weeks instead of 5 nights. I read other folks complained about the roosters crowing in the morning, but my kids loved the “Turkeys” as they called them. We toured a lot of the Island and recommend seeing Waimea Canyon then Barking Sands Beach ( Polihale Beach ) and on another day @ Ke'e Beach and lunch in Hanalei.

• Stayed: August 2005
19  Thank NathanDash
Reviewed August 23, 2005

We just returned from 5 nights at the Waiohai, and it really couldn't have been any better. We loved the spacious rooms, the grounds were beautiful and lush, and the facilities were everything you could want. We especially enjoyed the fact that swimming and snorkelling were only a few steps away. We laid out on lounges on the lawn and were only about 20 feet from water's edge. We never had to sit out in the sand. Nice! We were there on a timeshare promotion which was very painless. There was no hard-sell or pressure. I would have bought one in a second if I had the money to do so!
We loved it at the Waiohai so much that we spent most of our time hanging out right there. Our other plans to sightsee got vetoed after the first relaxing day at the beach. What a perfect spot to spend a vacation. The worst part about going to the Waiohai...........was having to go home!

• Stayed: August 2005
16  Thank camfam6
A TripAdvisor Member
Salt Lake City, UT
Reviewed August 1, 2005

We stayed at Waiohai in resonse to a time-share solicitation in June 2004 - 7 days and 6 nights. After a somewhat ardous trip (3 kids under the age of 8 and a long flight does not an easy trip make!), we arrived and found a beautiful resort located right on the beach. Our luggage did not make the trip but it arrived early the next morning - disaster averted! The room was fantastic with two separte bedrooms and baths, a full kitchen, living room, big-screen tv's and a washer-dryer. Wow! Perfect for a family, allowing us to put the kids to bed while mom and dad stayed up for personal time. The resort is beautiful with a hot tub and at least three pools, including a shallow kids pool overlooking the beach. On-site facilities include a nice restaurant and store with made-to-order takeout meals that were very good. Snorkel gear and other equipment is for rent right there, and the pool-side bar was really handy where drinks, pizza and other snacks can be ordered. But the best part was the beach - literally a one-minute walk from our room! Lots of area for the kids to play, including a kid-safe area at the adjacent public access beach. Sure, we were obliged to sit through the time-share sales pitch, but we were so taken by Waiohai, and the sales agent so friendly and honest that we purchased ownership! So now we are going to use our ownership to travel to other locations, while dreaming of returning to Waiohai. This is not a "happening" entertainment spot with wild nights, but rather a quiet, relaxed family-oriented place set apart from the hustle and bustle of the tourism scene. We ended out trip with three days in Waikiki on Oaho and wow what a difference! We probably won't return to Waikiki, but we WILL be back to Waihai, just not soon enough!

• Stayed: June 2004
26  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 19, 2005

Great place to stay especially with family. We booked 4 villas. The rooms are virtually soundproof. I had my TV on full blast in my room and so did my brother in theirs. You could not hear the noise in the other room as long as the door was closed. There is third TV in the living room with a DVD player. DVD's can be signed out at the front desk. The best features were full washer/dryer in room, iron/ironing board, (so you can pack less) fully stocked kitchen, (utensils and small appliances) dishwasher and large refrigerator. It was great to be able to get up in the morning, make coffee and sit out on the balcony while eating breakfast in my PJ's. The market downstairs is very reasonably priced as well as the restaurant there. Eating poolside was not, as I guess that is meant for tourists who happen upon the beach there.

You have to pay an extra fee per day if you want daily cleaning/change of linen service, but they do tidy up your room. Although there were many families there, it was relatively quiet and we bbq'd one night out on the lawn.

There is WI-FI in the lobby and a computer you can use, but it seemed to have always been occupied by some 10 year old kid.

The staff was very friendly and helpful and rooms very clean. The rooms are set up such that the washer/dryer are in the master bedroom which has a full size pull out couch, as does the living room.

As with past postings, they must have killed off most of the chickens because although a few were walking around the property, we never heard them at night.

I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2005
15  Thank sfuji1
Also consider these accommodations in or near Poipu
Kauai Beach Resort
#4 of 11 in Lihue
Koloa
Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa

Been to Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club? Share your experiences!