“Fantastic”

Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Poipu
Orange, California
“Fantastic”
Reviewed July 19, 2005

Great place to stay especially with family. We booked 4 villas. The rooms are virtually soundproof. I had my TV on full blast in my room and so did my brother in theirs. You could not hear the noise in the other room as long as the door was closed. There is third TV in the living room with a DVD player. DVD's can be signed out at the front desk. The best features were full washer/dryer in room, iron/ironing board, (so you can pack less) fully stocked kitchen, (utensils and small appliances) dishwasher and large refrigerator. It was great to be able to get up in the morning, make coffee and sit out on the balcony while eating breakfast in my PJ's. The market downstairs is very reasonably priced as well as the restaurant there. Eating poolside was not, as I guess that is meant for tourists who happen upon the beach there.

You have to pay an extra fee per day if you want daily cleaning/change of linen service, but they do tidy up your room. Although there were many families there, it was relatively quiet and we bbq'd one night out on the lawn.

There is WI-FI in the lobby and a computer you can use, but it seemed to have always been occupied by some 10 year old kid.

The staff was very friendly and helpful and rooms very clean. The rooms are set up such that the washer/dryer are in the master bedroom which has a full size pull out couch, as does the living room.

As with past postings, they must have killed off most of the chickens because although a few were walking around the property, we never heard them at night.

I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2005
15 Thank sfuji1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (301)
  • Polish first
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 4, 2005

we recently stayed at the waiohai beach marriott. with our 17 and 23 year old daughters. the density of the buildings was high, but the grounds were beautiful, with bbq's scattered around for nightime grilling. everyone there was friendly and relaxed. beach was great, lots of walking along the beach. great mai-tais at the beach bar. the units were very comfortable at 1200 sq ft, 2 bedrooms, 2 baths, and a complete kitchen and patio. fantastic farmers market in koloa 10 min away. our one splurge was dinner at the plantation gardens restaurant next door at kiahuna, each of our 4 meals was exquisite, freshest fish, pork tenderloin skewered on sugar cane, out of this world guave chiffon cheesecake. absolutely not to be missed!
menlo park california

28 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Houston, Texas
Reviewed June 4, 2005

We just spent seven nights at the Marriott Waiohai Beach Club in Kauai for our 10th wedding anniversary. We had a fantastic time and loved the property. But anyone going to the Marriott should have the proper expectations: this is not a hotel, it is a timeshare property, and a great one at that. Every time share suite is a 2 bedroom 2 bath setup. The suite was beautiful, with great decor, furniture, and accent pieces.

We went with another couple who owned time for a week. The price tag was around $1,000 per couple for seven nights - a steal for Poipu. We were using his "island view" week, and requested an interior pool view, which we did get. The interior landscaping is wonderful, between the lagoon and three pools, there are only a few other properties on the island with better landscaping. At night everything is lit with tiki torches and path lighting.

Again, this is not a hotel, so some amenities are lacking. There is no bellman or valet, and there is no room service. But there is a very good restaurant on property and a well stocked market. The pool has a good bar, with limited food service.

The beach, like every beach on the island of Kauai, is public. This one is Poipu Beach. Anyone who complains about the beach is silly - just look up Poipu Beach online and you'll find that Poipu is one of the best ranked beaches in the world. The water is clear, the fish are plentiful for snorkeling, and the locals love the waves for surfing. The Mariott does not have chairs or amenities for the sandy beach itself, but everything you could want is on the property line, which is two steps from the sand.

There are lots of families, so lots of kids are running around. This is not for honeymooners. But who else but families or groups would come to a property with only 2 bedroom/2 bath suites? By the way, we were not hit up once for a timeshare sales pitch. But we did give serious thought to hearing one after seeing the Waiohai.

The locations is ideal for exploring Kauai. The restaurants nearby are great, and the other beaches to explore in the area are fantastic. Set your expectations right, and the Waiohai will not dissappoint. You'll love it!

• Stayed May 2005
35 Thank Tallmaple
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 15, 2005

We just returned from a two week vacation at this resort. Normally we go to all inclusives but decided to try something different! We just loved it here. We travelled with another family so there were 7 of us in total, 4 adults and 3 kids. The accomodations were just perfect. We requested a ground floor villa close to a pool and that's just what we go. We also had a barbeque and hot tub right outside our villa so when the kids were asleep, we were able to make use of the hot tub. We also ate all our meals on the "lanei" which made the villa seem bigger. The barbeque was a bonus as we were able to grill all our meals and that made it cheaper and tastier. Having read some of the complaints prior to going here, I must say, I was somewhat sceptical, but believe me, it was wonderful for families. Now, having said that, I must say, it is primarily a family resort, so if you're going there for peace and quiet, you might was to rent a car and find some of the other beaches on the island for that!! We rented a van when we arrived, much cheaper than doing it on the internet, and were able to take "road trips" to other beaches which let me tell you, were beautiful. The island is truly lovely and something to be seen.

On that long note, if you go there, the staff was friendly, the resort beautiful, and there's lots to do in Kaui'i--you will love it!!

• Stayed May 2005
24 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
California
Reviewed May 2, 2005

It's said that anything that sounds too be too good to be true probably is. My husband and I accepted a Marriott offer for a timeshare preview package at the Waiohai, for which we were required to sit through a 90 minute sales presentation. I've been to Kauai several times, and Poipu is not my favorite part. But the price was too good to pass up, so I figured I'd just suffer through the sales spiel. But, jeepers! I have never encountered such an evil salesperson in my life! He was flippant, inappropriate, insinuative, and nosey. He wasn't even sure of the prices of the "villas" (there are only two prices -- ocean view and island view). He purposely omitted a lot of important information -- such as the annual association fees of $1k -- that would have made his figures look much less attractive. When I told him at the end that I would look over the materials, he became hostile and nasty. You see, they absolutely do not want you to walk out of there without buying. They offer all sorts of incentives if you purchase that day. The agent actually implied that we were stupid to pass up this deal! I left there furious, and feeling slightly ill. The irony is that we liked the Waiohai otherwise. The "villas" are spacious, the kitchens well supplied. I might quibble with some of their design choices (the acid colors of the rooms get to you after a few days, the showers are cramped, the way the buildings surround a common area makes for a noisy, dormitory atmosphere, and the bland hallways make me think "public housing crossed with county hospital"), but everything was clean and new-looking. Visitors should be aware that the Waiohai sits between a public park and a hurricane-wrecked hotel (what an eyesore!) that I assume is slated for future timeshare development (you might ask whether it's under construction when you book). There are much prettier beaches on Kauai, but the (public) one in front of the Waiohai is popular because it's safe for swimming and offers easy snorkeling (on what appears to be a largely dead reef). The Waiohai is not a place I'd want to hang around in day after day, but as a base for other island activities, it's fine. Just be aware that you are entering into a deal withe the devil when you accept a timeshare preview package. And by the way, the figures do not work! There's a good reason you'll see a timeshare resale place in nearby Koloa! As for the roosters...good luck finding a place without them. Kauai is infested with the little stinkers.

39 Thank Pickypickyme2
Placentia, CA
Reviewed May 2, 2005

We thoroughly enjoyed our 5 nights at the Waiohai. We had a garden view room on the 1st floor of Hale #4 overlooking the lagoon, which was quite picturesque. This worked ideally for my in-laws who were allowed to accompany us on this trip courtesy of Marriot Corp. We really enjoyed this location better than the pool view rooms.

An ocean view would have been nice but when you consider that we were able to stay 5 nights for $650 at a primo location in Poipu, we were quite happy. The rooms actually show better in person than on the web. The granite counters are a really nice feature.

The day we attended the timeshare ownership presentation was the the only rainy day of our trip, so it was a good time to be indoors. We found the presentation extremely low key by the Marriott staff. We were free to leave at any time (as one other couple did) and chose to carefully examine the entire pitch. I think for some this type of structure could make sense for their future vacations plans but it really wasn't going to work for us. Unfortunately! The place is so beautiful! Our folks were so impressed with the condos and the grounds. We loved the proximity to excellent snorkeling on Poipu Beach.

My wife and I did notice a lot of pre-schoolers and many of them were quite adorable as extended families like ourselves were vacationing there. Nevertheless we were wondering what the summer would bring at this place with school being out? Another thing to consider is that we stayed when the resort is at it's shiny best condition and wonder how quickly they will start showing wear and need to be renovated? Yes there are roosters that crow in the early morning hours but they are all over the Island. If you are staying at any kind of condo dwelling I am sure that they will access those grounds as well.

It was a great time and we gave the "Kauai Ultimate Guidebook" kudos for all their advice. If you want to snorkel it is just a direct walk out of the Waiohai to Poipu beach. Couldn't be easier. By the way we rented all of our gear across the street from the beach park at Nukumoi surf shop. Their rate is $15 for 3-5 days. Such a great deal and nice people as well.
Wish we could go back at such a rate but that will probably not happen again since it was a timeshare promotional.

The other delightful surprise was finding that the folks' neighbors for 30 years in California had retired back home to Kauai and built a beach house to rent out just a couple of blocks from the gorgeous Waiohai. Named after the wife's family in Poipu, the Hale Aka will be our next choice for staying on the southern part of the island since it is just a block from Poipu beach and has the option of us staying there in one separate room, or bringing more of our family and using the three bedroom section of the house.

Being able to visit with the owners, our friends and neighbors for so long, gave us a such a different perspective since they grew up on the island and could tell us what it was like living there and having family that goes back generations. The nice thing is you rent directly from the owners, and can contact them through their website, which is the name of the beach house, Hale Aka.

Aloha and enjoy your Kauai vacation! It is SO wonderful there.

33 Thank Travlngar
Reviewed May 2, 2005

Waiohai is a GREAT family-friendly resort but probably only a so-so romantic couples place. My wife and I just returned from a week there with my 85 year old mother and 4 year old son. We'll definitely be back. Here are the plusses, minuses and tips if you go:

PLUSSES:
1. We paid $323 a night for two large bedrooms, two baths, a generous common area, washer/dryer and a modern kitchen (Travelocity/AAA discount). Even after you add in the $36 of room tax a night that still only comes to $180 a night per room for a deluxe ocean front accommodation. Our deal included the optional $30/day maid service in the $323 rate, so we had hotel-style cleaning.
2. The property is on a great beach. The part in front of the Waiohai is fine for snorkeling with two sandy stretches to get out and in and a rocky patch in the middle where lots of fish live. Our four year old had no problem with the gentle surf near the best fish viewing area. This connects directly (no rocky stretch between) to Poipu State Park Beach which has a terrific toddler- friendly stretch behind a breakwater where 2 years olds happily splashed in 1-3 foot deep water. Most of the other places in Poipu are either across a street from a beach, on a rocky, impassable shore or on a bluff overlooking rocky cliffs. We swam with a both sea turtle and a monk seal at PSPB. We saw an outrigger canoe race there, too.
3. The grounds are first-class with six or seven different fairly warm pools, three hot tubs, small kids playground, BBQs, gardens, etc. The pools are all kid-friendly with depths varying from 1 to 4 1/2 feet. No diving boards, no slides. The Keiki (kids) pool overlooking the beach is a great hangout for parents- there were usually half a dozen kids in the small pool entertaining each other while the parents enjoyed a great view of the surfers just west of the hotel's beach. The empty hotel next door is no big deal- they've done a fine job screening it with palms and other foliage. I avoided Hale 1 because of the ruins but wish now I hadn't because the ocean views there looked pretty good.
4. Staff was friendly and there were plenty of nice no-hassle touches. No towel nonsense: take as many as you need and no deposit to lose if you just leave them on a beach chair. Foam noodles and fins free for the taking near the pool. A fine kids club for ages 3 and up. Our son spent a morning there through to lunch ($35) and would have been happy to go back another morning if we'd cared to part with him. Timeshares sales no problem- just said no once and they dissapeared.
5. A decent restaurant on the grounds. The macadamia nut crusted Ono was about as good as the food at the Beach House (see TIPS below). Large deserts and better mai tais.
6. Underground parking right under the suites- 2 minutes from car to room.
7. Lots of kids. Great if you've got 'em.

MINUSES:
1. The ocean view was not great- mainly a view of the parking lot for the state beach (Hale 8, room 8201). I suspect that the best rooms go to the timeshare owners and renters get the last pickings. Since there aren't very many good ocean view rooms given the site layout, next time I'll probably book a garden view and call ahead the day before to try for the third or fourth floor.
2. 4pm check in and 10 am checkout. On the plus side the rooms were spotless when we did get in.
3. The farthest inland Hale's looked to be ~10 minutes walk from the beach. Hale 8 was only 2 minutes.
3. Minor stuff: Kitchen equipment was adequate but not ample, the wireless LAN internet access in the lobby was down when I tried to connect, elevators are s-l-o-w.
4. Lots of kids. Maybe not so great if you're honeymooning.

TIPS:
1. Best food was at Roy's- you can walk there in ten minutes or drive in two. Get a table on the garden edge- the interior is a bit stuffy. Beach House food was very good and the view is awesome. We arrived Sunday and immediately went to the concierge- first sunset-time table at the Beach House was Friday, so plan ahead. The Grill at the Waiohai was fine, too, and outside tables were worth waiting an extra five minutes for.
2. There's a good vegetable stand on the non-beach side of Poipu Road about a mile before you get to the Waiohai. Leis $5 versus $23 at the Lihue Safeway, for example. Big Save is fine as a local supermarket in Koloa- no need to go back to Lihue for the Safeway.
3. Trips: The Spouting Horn was a nice stop-off on the way to the spectacular Waimea Canyon but not worth a separate trip. Pretty good open stall shopping at Spouting Horn. My mom loved the $30 2 1/2 hour botanical garden tour at the National Tropical Botanical Gardens- leaves at 9 am and 10 am most days but book a day or two ahead. Lunch at the Princeville on the north shore was a great excuse to drive up the east coast.

64 Thank royroyroy
Also consider these accommodations in or near Poipu
Kauai Beach Resort
#4 of 11 in Lihue
Koloa
Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa
Koloa
Koa Kea Hotel & Resort

Been to Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club? Share your experiences!