“Always Exceptional every year”

Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Poipu
Reviewed October 16, 2013

I own two time shares here and every year the service and the property exceed my expectations. the staff calls you by name the entire week. How do they all know your name. They make suggestions for excursions and provide entertainment for the kids. Everything is always just perfect and if it doesn't meet your expectations, speak up, because they will fix it.
I can't thank the entire Waiohai staff for helping me put together a memorial service on the beach for my recently departed wife of 40 years. Poipu was here favorite place to visit every year. Thank you Marriott and the staff at Waiohai beach club.

Room Tip: All rooms are the same except for the views. Ask for an Ocean view. No matter where you are, you w...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,071)

Reviewed October 11, 2013

This property is FANTASTIC! Our party had 2 two bedroom suites with balconies and full kitchens that accommodated everyone comfortably. Lots to do on the resort but nightlife is limited due to this island (KAUA'I) being a very spiritual and family oriented island. The staff is very courteous and attentive to our needs. There are 3 swimming pools and 3 hot tubs and 10 BBQ grills onsite, fitness facilities, etc.

The only complaint i have is that the Bar by the swimming closes at 6:30p every night. If you want to drink after that time you have to find another resort that has a bar open later.

All and all on a scale of 1-10 i give this resort a 9.5!

Room Tip: All the buildings are right on the beach....We stayed in Hale One, suites 1211 and 1213! All the bu...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 3, 2013 via mobile

We had a villa we shared with another couple. It is set up perfectly for this. Great rooms, great location and beach. We love Poipu and Kauai and this was our third trip to the island. It was our first stay here and it is by FAR the best hotel we haves stayed at there. I can't wait to go back. I have no negatives even small ones about this place. I highly recommend it.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed October 2, 2013

this is a great suite property and the best location - walkable and right in the middle of everything - 20 minute walk to Hyatt , 20 minute walk to shopping , restaurants all within a short walk. The pool is realy nice for families and the beach is perfect .

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Gerry B
Reviewed October 1, 2013 via mobile

The Marriott Waiohai is right on the beach and had all a family needs for a great vacation in Hawaii. There is fine swimming and snorkeling right there. The staff were very helpful. Poipu has less rain than the other side of the island and seems to have more sunny days.

• Stayed: September 2013
2  Thank mfulmer95
Reviewed September 29, 2013

We stayed at the Waiohai Beach Club with another couple and had a very good experience. The resort is very pretty and the grounds are well maintained. Services are minimal (a beach bar, a convenience shop, spa services, a workout room), but perfect for the location. Restaurants and shops are right down the road, some in easy walking distance. Unlike many resorts, there seems to be a glut of pool-side chairs. What most distinguished this resort from others is that it blends into its surroundings well so that you don't feel isolated or walled off from areas outside resort. It abuts a public beach and is a short walk from a larger beach with life guards. A path runs through the resort that connects the Marriott to the public beach (to the east) and to other hotels (to the west). On one side of the resort is the public parking lot for the public beach. To me, this was all a plus and made staying here more fun than staying at more isolated resorts. This is a matter of taste, though, so you should decide what you are looking for.

The rooms are very well equipped. We ate in many nights and ate on the deck. It was a bit small for four adults, but manageable. The kitchens have a good inventory of pots, pans, storage, and utensils. Overall, I would say that Marriott has figured out how to serve time share guests. We were at the resort for six nights and didn't feel like we were in too close quarters with the other couple.

The pool areas were pretty and never particularly crowded. We took several of the free water aerobics classes. There are grills on the property (that get a lot of use at night) and a few hammocks. Like all of Kauai, there are chickens all over the property. There was plenty of parking and the spaces with wide enough for modern cars (unlike other resorts).

Our one complaint -- one that you will see in other reviews -- is that many of the "ocean view" rooms are at best partial, small ocean views (and in some cases are primarily parking lot view). I suspect that Marriott is locked in because of the way that these units were originally sold, but some/many of the ocean view units should be advertised and booked as Island view. Were I to return, I would book a less expensive "Island view" room. Many of these had very pleasant views of the property, which, as I mentioned is very well maintained and quite pretty. We were told that guests could not voluntarily downgrade to Island View.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank too_few_trips_1
Reviewed September 26, 2013

I have to write the review that I wish I had the opportunity to read before booking my reservation here. We booked the Marriott Waiohai because of the great reviews--- I never thought there would be a STARK difference between the villas and the "hotel rooms" on a Marriott Vacation Club Property- I found the 25% off for Elite Members on the Marriott website and after reading the reviews here, I thought why not!
the SHORT version: DO NOT STAY IN THE HOTEL ROOMS-- they only have 7 (?) of them on property (I think all on the same floor and building) is what we were told when we checked in. The rooms were probably an after thought and seemed just like that... an after thought.

The room we stayed in Hale 1- Room 101 (1101)-- it was like being in a dungeon--- the room was large for a hotel room but bare for the size, it seemed worn. We had to keep the darkening blinds closed because the the lanai faced some other buildings and you could step right up to our slider door from the side walk and the service sidewalk that carts used to go around the property and was right there so I was not comfortable keeping it open-- I also prefer higher floors for this reason because I do not like to use the darkening curtains once I am awake---- this contributed to the dungeon feel. Also the shower was weird- separate from the tub-- but poorly planned-- we had to put the shampoo on the floor-- no where to put it! They should have just stuck with the shower/tub combo and used the extra space for towel storage and hooks (instead they are over the toilet-- ugh!)
Had I known it would be like this then I would have never booked it--- it was not worth the cost and I would have gladly paid more per night for another hotel or condo rental. We did not spend much time in the room--- I know I know we are in Kauai and we should be outside all day--- yes we were and we normally do--- but my husband and I also like to be in a comfortable and nice room for the evening and to wake up and feel like we could open the blinds!

Due to the fact that we did not enjoy the room..... we did not stay around the property at all--- the last night we were there we walked around and down to the beach front.
The property itself I am sure was nice and from what I read the villas are also probably nice too! But I will never know!

Marriott should be ashamed of these rooms-- spruce them up! Add a couch or another chair and ottoman, larger TV and Amoire... use paint that matches on touch ups in the room and bathroom- rework the bathroom!

Overall the room was clean, staff friendly, just not what I was expecting! I have stayed at hundreds of hotels for work and vacation everything from the St. Regis, Four Seasons to the Hampton Inn and wanted to love this place! :(

This area of Kauai is great and they have a newer shopping/eating area just down the street that is wonderful, close to Old Koloa town too! We found the location to be convenient and we went all over the island during our 4 day stay. Next time we visit Kauai we will stay 7-10 days minimum--- somewhere else:)

Is you need a physician while you are there-- Dr. J Michael Murray- Family Doc in Old Koloa town takes walk ins and he is GREAT! I was bitten by something on my neck the first night at the hotel and it turned into an infection (crazy!- I have been all over the world and this is my first trip to the doc while traveling). Dr. Murray and Lifeway Pharmacy to the rescue!

Room Tip: Make sure you are not in one of the "Hotel Rooms" I think they are all in the same buildi...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank JayLilTRAVELS
Also consider these accommodations in or near Poipu
Kauai Beach Resort
#4 of 11 in Lihue
Koloa
Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa

Been to Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club? Share your experiences!