“Don't waste your time or money” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club

Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Poipu
CALIFORNIA
“Don't waste your time or money”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

This place is getting extremely tired. Whatever you do. DO NOT invest in the Vacation Club. Their prices are outrageous and the maintenance fees at least at this property have now approached $300 per day per year every year and that is after tens of thousands of dollars of purchase fees. The apartments are old and worn. Ours was by an elevator shaft that was very noisy that resulted in poor sleep. The sink faucet top was broken. Loose tile on the floor, and frayed carpet. We have been members for over 10 years and only once has our request for a room ever been honored. This time was the worst as we ended up in the worst and oldest unit of the property. Our compaints and requests to the front office have been ignored. It is very much a take it or leave it type of attitude. After you have traveled all the way here, there are few options and they won't confirm location for you until you arrive and check in. So - for this kind of money - go elsewhere. We certainly are going to. Additionally there is no chance we will invest more money in Marriott Vacation Club properties. The Customer service has been incredibly poort. To make matters worse - I even saw an advertisement that indicates that Vacation Club just leases the name from Marriottt. For all we know, there is no Marriott presence here at all.

9 Thank CECHEF
MVCI_Executive, Guest Relations Manager at Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
We are sorry to hear that you did not have a positive experience at Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club. We apologize your villa did not meet your expectations. The resort is scheduled for a complete refurbishment and we hope you'll consider returning once the update is complete. This is a Marriott Vacation Club resort. While a separate Marriott company, I can assure you Marriott does not "lease" it's name to anyone and every hotel and resort with the Marriott name is held to the same standards of quality. We would appreciate an opportunity to personally address your concerns. Please contact us at customer.care@vacationclub.com or at 800 860 9384. We look forward to hearing from you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (267)
Seattle
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

As others have mentioned, this resort has a great location and is family oriented. The units are very tired looking. The decor is unattractive and very worn. Pillows had barely any stuffing in them. Cheap kitchen equipment. How about hiring a new interior designer? If I was an owner here, I would ask for more.
The hallways in the building look like you are walking through a hospital corridor. What about some artwork?
Be aware of what unit you are assigned.
Seems like Marriott is a bit too complacent about this property. Just because it has one of the top locations, it doesn't mean that they can't spend some money here to upgrade.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank xoxx
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

After four nights on the North Shore we moved South desperately seeking sun! Location couldn't be better and the beach is lovely. It's a very-family friendly hotel but I didn't find it loud or annoying. I was still able to enjoy a peaceful vacation with my mom. The rooms are nice, not gorgeous, not particularly luxurious - the finishings at the Westin Princeville are far nicer. This being said, I know I'm not the first reviewer to mention the parking lots, but it's kind of a problem! I had reserved an ocean view room and what we saw was a vast expanse of parking lots beyond which in the distant horizon I saw some blue that I guess was the ocean. I didn't even really care about the ocean view, the property grounds are beautiful (the courtyard area) so I called to ask if I could be changed to a non-ocean-facing room. In other words, a room which costs less than what I paid. I thought this was a pretty reasonable request considering I wasn't asking for any refund. However, I was told that the hotel was "fully booked" which I knew beyond any doubt was a lie because I had made the reservation the day before and there were all sorts of rooms available. Being lied to - not cool. I guess they just have a scripted reply for whenever people complain about the view, which I bet is pretty often. I'm still glad I reserved an ocean view room, especially when some non-ocean-view rooms don't look into the courtyard but are in the back of the building and basically IN the parking lot. That must be miserable.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Alexia R
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013 via mobile

We are owners and would never trade our location, lay in bed at night and listen to the ocean. Watch whales by day, great sunsets. Relaxing!!!! We have had amfewmshowers by day but nothing to complain about

Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Ron R
Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

We stayed here with our children in January. Approaching from the street this is not a particularly attractive property but the side facing the ocean is very nicely landscaped with a lovely pool that was very warm. Rooms are quite spacious and we thought quite a bargain at $460 a night for a 2 bedroom villa. Beach area is not overly large but you are immediately adjacent to one of the best(safest) places to snorkel with children-we saw many beautiful tropical fish. There is no on-site restaurant here but there are numerous restaurants within a short distance. I wouldn't recommend this for honeymooners looking for a really memorable place but this is a real bargain/find for families due to roomy accommodations and beach location. Keep in mind that this property is on the south side of the island(poipu) which tends to be sunnier than the north shore but is generally more developed

5 Thank IndianaTravelmom
Livermore, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

I have always loved Kauai, and Poipu in particular. This was my third visit, but the first time to Hawaii for my 27, 20, and 10 year old sons, plus a friend. Let's just say their jaws dropped when they first walked out by the pool and beach. With these extreme ages, I was thrilled that they all absolutely loved our stay at Waiohai. So much so, they barely wanted to leave Poipu. We did manage to see Waimea Canyon, and did a wonderful kayak/Secret Falls day trip, but they wanted to get right back to "sunny Poipu". The units are typical Marriott style, the ocean views are hard to come by because of how the buildings sit, but I've learned to request garden view. The overall feel for this resort is definitely more laid back, than let's say Newport Beach, but we absolutely loved it and made lifetime memories there. Can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: If you don't want to get a parking lot view, ask for garden view.
3 Thank nahartford
Cedar Falls, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

We stayed in building 8. Room 8305. This is an owners unit. The owners, this is a timeshare resort, get the good ones and the others the view is not as good. This resort is just fine, albeit older and smaller in scale than some of the new ones. To complain that this resort or the rooms aren't nice enough would tell me that you are simply spoiled. The underground parking is nice. The interior courtyard and pool is just fine. Location is hard to beat. The public beach of Poipu is literally adjacent. Decent beach. We didn't see any beaches that were substantially better on the island. The Grand Hyatt is where I would stay if money were no object. The Hyatt property is simply one of the nicest we have seen anywhere in the world. It is about 1 mile away. It is truly a grand property. For the money though this Marriott should not disappoint in any way. Your not buying it, your renting it, so relax and go ahead and rent here. We paid $2100 for the week in a 2 bedroom with full kitchen and 2 baths. Had to work to find this rate. We were there Jan 12-19, 2013.

2 Thank gbonsall
Also consider these accommodations in or near Poipu
Kauai Beach Resort
#4 of 11 in Lihue
4.0 of 5 stars 2,045 reviews
Koloa
Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa
Koloa
Koa Kea Hotel & Resort

Been to Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club? Share your experiences!