“Just the beach alone is well worth staying here!!!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
FREE Wi-Fi For Members
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Poipu
Irvine, California
“Just the beach alone is well worth staying here!!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

This is our 2nd time staying at a Marriott timeshare and I will say that the location could not have been better for our family! I will say that if I could give a 4 1/2 star I would, but since I can't, I don't think it's fair to give it a 4 stars, so I'm giving it a 5 star. And I will explain why 4 1/2 stars below...

First of all, to keep something in mind. The resort is located on the south side of the island, the very south actually. So if you're planning on spending most of your time on the north shore, the east side of the island... then this location might not be for you since you'll be spending a lot of time driving.

BEACH/SNORKELING
The hotel is located in Poipu and the beach is Poipu Beach. If you're a beach person, and I assume you are since you're going to Hawaii, this is a wonderful location to stay in!!! The view just walking along the beach is GORGEOUS, make sure you go there for a peaceful, relaxing walk when the sunsets, the view is something we're still talking about. The beach is so pretty that my mom was actually very happy just staying in the room and then take a walk on the beach without leaving the property. And Poipu Beach is actually the best spot for snorkeling on Kauai, so you get to have the best snorkeling location without leaving the resort!!! There are TONS of different fishes in the ocean, just a few steps away from shore, so even if you don't swim, you don't need to worry because you can see plenty of creates in the shallow end.
We also saw monk seals and a huge sea turtle on two separate days, just sun bathing in the sand.

ROOM
This is actually why I would give this property a 4 1/2 stars instead of the 5 stars.
The room we stayed in had 2 bedrooms. The rooms are very nice, and comfortable. The kitchen is fully equipped with all the necessary tools/utensils for those who would like to eat at "home." The reason I would give 4 1/2 stars is because in one of our bathrooms, the shower stall actually smelled a little bit mildew-y. It's not bad by any means, but because I'm so used to the Marriott standard, I found it a bit surprising that this happened since Waiohai is such a prestige resort. Another thing is that our dish washer actually malfunctioned during our first time using it. The water inside spilled out in the middle of a cycle and we actually had to stop the machine and couldn't use it for the remaining of our trip.

RESORT GROUND
The resort ground is beautiful. Very well manicured "falls", ponds and pools. And I love that the wild chickens are just everywhere on the ground. You would think that with so many chicken on the island, it'd be impossible to get a decent sleep since the chickens all crow at random times throughout the day. But we definitely did not have that problem. The resort lobby isn't very flashy though. It's quite modest which was surprising to me, but then I figured it makes sense since we're on the island Kauai.

STORE
There's a convenient store located next to the lobby where you can buy things that you might have forgotten to pack such as pain killers, eye drops... etc (you know, the usual stuff). This is a very small store and the things that are available to purchase (everyday item things) are actually surprisingly limited.

All in all, the resort is wonderful and I really don't think anyone would be disappointed staying here.

5 Thank StarRiDust

5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013 via mobile

Love location and accommodations. Grounds are beautiful and well kept. Staff are accommodating and helpful.
This is our 4th visit and we'll return!
We're unsure about January month but planning to return.

Stayed January 2013
Eagan, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

This is our second stay at Marriott's Waiohai - we liked it so much we purchased last time (2 years ago). The units are spacious and well equipped. We noticed some water damage in one of the bathrooms so I suspect an upgrade will be due soon. A truly beautiful resort - the Marriott staff kept us feeling special the whole time.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Richmond, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We loved our stay at the Waiohai on Kauai. Some of our neighbors have a timeshare here and recommended it - so glad we listened to their advice. Being right on the beach at Poipu was wonderful. We grabbed our snorkel gear and walked down to the beach for a few hours on numerous occasions. It was so nice to be right there and not have to worry about driving and parking. The place itself was great too. We had 2 large rooms, a living room and full kitchen. The beds were very comfortable. The grounds were beautiful and while we didn't end up taking advantage of it, saw many people out at the grill cooking up steaks. We stayed in an island view room that was cheaper than the ocean view. I've heard from numerous other reviews that the ocean view wasn't at all worth the price. We didn't care about the view out the window and were quite happy with our less expensive choice. Poipu was a great starting off point for our adventures around the island and the Marriott's Waiohai was the perfect place to make a fabulous trip even better.

Room Tip: Save your money and get an island view room. The ocean is so close, just walk down to it and enjoy f...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank laurenita12
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

we have been coming back to this resort for the past 5 years and this place defines the word Paradise. The most incredible amenities, staff, villas, cannot think of anything that can be better except a nice eat in restaurant. I can assure you there is nothing better in the Marriott chain and nothing better on the Hawaiian islands, even though some Mauai favorites may contest this claim!

Room Tip: anythig in hale ! or hale 8
1 Thank cowboydanno
Redondo Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

After a day or two at the Waiohai I realized that we had finally perfected the family vacation. This was vacation Nirvana. Everything about this hotel is attractive, convenient, and fun for families. I will absolutely come back again as often as possible.

We have one daughter (aged 9) and the two bedroom layout was perfect for us. We had space to get out of each other's hair when needed. The booth in the kitchen/dining area was large and comfortable and attractive. I sat there reading and relaxing and just enjoying myself. The bathtubs are large and attractive. And I can't tell you how nice it is to have a washing machine to have clean clothes. The room was so large that my daughter and I played endless games of hide and seek!!!

The pools are perfect. They are heated to the exactly perfect temperature. At some of the larger hotels the pools are so large that they probably really can't afford to heat them to a comfortable temperature. These pools were a tiny bit smaller than the mega-resort pools, but they were large enough to be gorgeous and special and fun.... and warm enough to swim in!!! They also had a "relaxation pool" which did not ban children, it just required quiet. My daughter loved coming to this pool and being on her best behavior. She was silent and well-behaved and appreciated not being totally banned. And it calmed her down before bed!!!!

The Marketplace store provided provisions for us and we ate dinner there nearly every night. This isn't fancy dining, it is edible family fare for a reasonable price. We sat at the outdoor tables and enjoyed ourselves every night and didn't feel like we were having our wallets shaken down. The grill by the pool was also wonderful, with nice drinks, grill food and a gorgeous view. Again, not fancy haute cuisine, just relaxed paradise.

The beach in front of the hotel is pretty and has some snorkeling (it was a bit rough when we were out there, but we did manage to see all the usual suspects of Hawaiian fish). Every morning I would jog up and down the path and have a spectacular run.

Our hotel was listed as "Ocean View" and I see a lot of people did not feel they got their money's worth for that. It is true, that I did expect to see more than a sliver of ocean off to the side. But, the view from our room was of spectacular, lush mountains all the way down to the beach (blocked by trees), and a parking lot. There was a view of a lot of green grass with chickens running all around. The noise of the roosters didn't bother us. We could barely hear it after we woke up. It didn't wake us up at all. The windows seemed to block it out pretty much. The large balcony was gorgeous and a very nice place to sit. On New Year's Eve we had the perfect view from our balcony of the fireworks over Poipu Beach. We couldn't actually see Poipu Beach though because of the trees blocking the view.

This isn't the place for discerning, childless couples expecting to be waited on hand and foot. It isn't a place for elegant luxury, it is more casual and relaxing. It was very quiet though, and there weren't a lot of loud children running around. So, childless couples would still enjoy themselves if they weren't expecting really high end luxury. This is for people who want to have a vacation in paradise with convenience, space, and comfort.

Room Tip: Ocean view does not equal ocean front. We were in the back side of Hale 7 on the 3rd floor and we lo...
8 Thank SnoodMama
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

We love coming back again and again to the Waiohai. On our first trip for our 25th anniversary in 2004 we were returning to our honeymoon spot. The original hotel there was wiped out by Hurricane Iniki in 1992. We thought it was fate that Marriott called to offer a "preview" trip in anticipation we would buy a timeshare. Yes we went through all the sales pitches, but it was easy to say no. A great time. They asked us back a year later and we like it so much we bought one week.

Now we come frequently and love the place. It has nice pools, a good beach, and access to several other sites close by. (Do not miss Puka Dog!)

All the suites are the same two bedroom with a kitchen. The BBQs are a great place to get to know the other guests as many gather there to cook the evening meal.

Room Tip: Really the best way to get a good room is to be nice to the people when you arrive.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank GoalTorrent
Also consider these accommodations in or near Poipu
Kauai Beach Resort
#5 of 11 in Lihue
4.0 of 5 stars 1,853 reviews
Koloa
Koa Kea Hotel & Resort

Been to Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club? Share your experiences!