“Tips for your stay at the Waiohai”

Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Poipu
Reviewed October 9, 2007

We stayed with our 3 children and my in-laws in a villa unit that includes a full kitchen, living room and two bedrooms. The room was beautiful. The beds are super comfy - lovely baths. When we needed more towels and an extra bed to seperate my kids, they we at the room very quickly. (The extra bed is a small bedroll cushion for the floor. An adult or tennager could not sleep this way.) The full kitchen is handy, however the location of grocery stores is not. Think ahead. The charm of Kauai is that is not commerical nor built up. When leaving the airport with your rental car, swing past costco or the grocery store in Lihue and stock up. You'll be happy you did.

The beach is great. We spent hours building sand castles and playing in the water. We saw tons of fish and monk seals on the beach. We also swam with a very large sea turtle. I would recommend getting up in the morning and walking the beaches early to see seals and turtles that bedded down on the beach overnight.

The restaurants at the resort are lacking - only one choice. The food is good, but it is casual bar food in the evening, burgers by the beach in the day. (Great burgers! Order "the works".) Thurs - Mon. happy hour starts at 5:30. The nachos were good - the ribs come with fries, the mai tais are great. The best thing at the bar was the Waiohai colada. Yum! Yum! Not a lot of choices for food in the neighborhood. We ate at Keikos and Tropical Burger in the Poipu shopping center. Neither was very good. The Poipu Grill had great huge cheap tropical drinks, but the food very substandard at best. The best meal we had was at Brick Oven Pizza in Kalaheo (up the road 15-20 minutes.) It sounds strange to have the best pizza when in Hawaii, but it's true. Across the street is the charming Kalaheo Cafe. We had breakfast there 4 times. I love that place. Best coffee ever.

We enjoyed the hotel and Kauai. My 3 young children loved it also.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
11  Thank danvan
There are newer reviews for Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club

Reviewed September 4, 2007

This vacation club property is huge! There are about 16 buildings and its a sprawling resort that covers quite a bit of ground. The pools are small compared to their other resorts and they are very very corwded. There is however a "quiet" pool some ways away from the other pool that is very peaceful to swim in and does allow children. This place was packed, kids everywhere (which is not a bad thing, I had mine with me too) and we were they in off season. The rooms here start at $539/nite but if you contact the Marriott Vacatino Club and are willing to go on a high pressured sales tour, then you can get it for much much less.

The accomodations themselves were fine, the rooms are all 2 bedroom condos and have everthing you need for a pleasant stay with the family. I would suggest stocking up the fridge by going to a local grocery store as the "Marketplace" at the Marriott, like all Marriott's, is super expensive ($9 for a gallon of milk, $3 for an individual bowl of cereal). The Kawai Grill (restuarant on property) is outdoors and not that comfortable to eat at. The seats are literally in the walkway outside 2 buildings and there is no peace from the onslaught of people walking right by you or relief from the heat. The food was okay, just okay, agian not what you find at the normal Marriott restaurant.

The beach is small and steep with quite an undertow but it was fun for my family. Poipu is the most touristy place on the island so be ready for that. Kaua'i is the most beautiful of all the Hawaiian Islands in my opinion and staying in a place like Poi'pu really takes away from that beauty not adds to it. We go to Hawai'i for the scenery and nature not thousands of tourist, crowded pools and over crowded beaches. The good thing is that all the beaches on Kaua'i are public, there are no private beaches allowed on the island by law so you can easliy find a private place if wanted.

Also, I was contacted by Marriott and given a deal to stay here to try to sell me a timeshare, as I stay at Marriott's exclusive it seems. They put us in the last building, 1/4 mile for the store, restaurant, pool and beach and I had a beautiful view of the Hawaiian license plates on the cars in the parking lot. In addition, the balconies are not private at all. They are right next to each other and wide open. If you are going to stay here, ask for an interior facing room and make sure you get a confirmation email that says which room type you have so there is no question when you check in.

If you are into crowds and tourist traps, then I would say this is the place for you. If not, try the Kaua'i Beach Club in Lihu'e, another Marriott property that has much better amenities and a lot less people. I have included quite a few picture to see what its really like. The pictures that Marriott has on thier websit are not that accurate. I would rate this property as average, nothing special other then the fact that you are on Kaua'i, which in iitself is amazing!

Tips for a better trip:
-Go to Kapa'a and Shaka Tacos, awesome fun and open mike nite there every wednesday.
-Stay away from the Casablacna Restauant across the street from the waiohai. Terrible food and its another outdoor restaurant that had rats running around due to the construction they said.
-See Napali, wow, unbelievable!
-Go the Ha'ena State park on the northwest corner of the island by Princeville, beautiful sunsets and its a great drive up there.
-If you can afford it (about$1000 for 4 people) take a helicopter tour of the island, we used Island Helicopters and it was the hi-lite of the trip for me.

See Kaua'i for what it has to offer, if you want touristy Hawai'i, go to Waikiki on Oah'u or anywhere on Maui. ope this helps plan your next trip!

Stayed: August 2007
19  Thank jbellon
Reviewed September 1, 2007

Stayed 5 nights on a promotional package deal at this timeshare property. The price was right at around $1000 for a 2BR suite plus a Hertz car. The resort's location is fabulous, right on the beach at Poipu. The room was spacious, clean and very attractively appointed. Free internet access is a plus. The common area spaces, fitness center and dining facilities are ok at best. The architecture of the resort is plain vanilla, more reminiscent of a hotel near Disneyland than a resort in the islands. If you are looking for a place that is oriented to young families and you don't mind a somewhat frenetic and crowded atmosphere, this is it. If you are looking for a place to relax in a more upscale environment, this is not the place. The resort was full of shrieking children and loud adults. Don't get a room anywhere near the elevators. The elevator machine rooms generate a lot of noise. Our experience with the hotel staff was decidedly mixed. Some were very helpful and friendly, others were not very customer friendly. We were particularly put off by some of the staff in the dining facility. In summary, the quality of the resort (grade B) does not come close to matching the quality of the location (grade A+).

Stayed: August 2007
5  Thank Nella48
Reviewed August 29, 2007

We had a 5 night stay with our two boys. They practically refused to get out of the pull and ocean. I loved the layout of the resort which has a large pool fronting the beach and ocean. The villas are nice with two bedrooms, living room and kitchen. They also have bbqs downstairs which can be a nice change from eating out. Service was what you would expect out of Marriott. There was a little bit of rain in August but not bad enough to stop us from any of our plans.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank apuzinio
Reviewed August 10, 2007

We stayed at the Marriott Waiohai (timeshare property) at the end of July for 5 nights. We own a Marriott timeshare, but elsewhere -- this was a great deal we were offered to sit through the dreaded time share sales pitch. The property is lovely - the units are very spacious and comfortable (although I agree with the poster that they should give up on the giant tubs in favor of larger showers), the landscaping is gorgeous.

We liked the beach and pools - mostly just parked ourselves in some chaises on the lawn just at the edge of the beach (us and the chickens). We ate at the pool bar, the marketplace, breakfast and snacks in the unit (and pizza once). I couldn't care less about the lack on on-site restaurants --- I can't remember the last time I chose to eat at a hotel restaurant. We did eat at Keoki's a couple of times, and at Pizzetta in Koloa.

My complaints:

1) the interiors of the buildings - the hallways - are downright ugly. It looks like a hospital. Any form of decoration - a plant or a painting - would help.

2) as I said, we were there on a "deal". Well, it turns out they have a hierarchy for how they assign rooms. That would be fine - I certainly understand that timeshare owners, as opposed to "renters", should have first dibs on the best rooms. However, one building (Building 4 for those of you who might be going) has a side that faces the parking lot. No kidding - the balconies overlook the parking lot. I can't even imagine what Marriott was thinking when they built it that way. It's truly awful. We changed rooms, but it wasn't easy, and it really happened only because the internet happened to also be working only intermittently in that building, and we needed internet access. I would have been unhappy being in that unit for 5 days. The room they moved us to was (I'm sure) the worst of their other rooms, but it was so nice to be looking at the gardens instead of the parking lot that I couldn't have cared less at that point. (They call all rooms that aren't ocean view, "island view". Be sure you don't get "parking lot view".)

That's it - as long as you're in a room with an ocean or garden view, it's a wonderful place for a relaxing vacation.

Stayed: July 2007
7  Thank sf7307
Reviewed August 4, 2007

My family and I just returned from a one week stay at the Waioha in Poipu. We loved it! My kids are 20 and 22. We have been to Kauai 6-7 times and the kids enjoyed this resort more than the others that we have stayed at. The beach is great for snorkeling and surfing and boggie boarding. Our unit was very nice. It is a timeshare and we are owners, this was our first time staying here. . The unit had a full kitchen so we did cook most of our meals in the unit. I like the washer and dryer in the unit also. We had a great view of the ocean and the beach. The B,B.Q. was also nice to have. We are looking forward to our next trip here in 2009.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank Parris
Reviewed July 15, 2007

Just a couple quick notes before I give a review. The Marriott Waiohai is in Poipu and I've seen people give reviews and they had clearly stayed at the Kauai Marriott which is in Lihue by the airport. The Kauai Marriott is much older and dated and not nearly as nice as the Waiohai. Secondly, this resort is truly meant for families and not for couples or honeymooners. If you want to be pampered, the Grand Hyatt Regency Kauai is next door and an awesome place to stay.

If you stay at the Waiohai with the right expectations, it's one of the best vacations you'll ever have. The Waiohai is a Vacation Ownership with all the condos being 2 bedroom and 2 bath. You have full kitchen, washer/dryer, and room to sleep 8 people comfortably. I suggest going to Costco in Lihue or even the Big Save in Koloa to get your staple items along with buying pool items like boogiey boards, goggles, and beach toys (there is also a Wal-Mart in Lihue). It's cheaper than renting equipment! Nukumoi Surf shop is next door if you want to rent surf boards and other equipment.

The Waiohai property has a market and restaurant onsite along with a Starbucks. Buy the refillable mug for all the coffee, soda, and hot chocolate during your stay. The property has a poolside bar with a BBQ for lunch items. The bar-maids generally only serve in the area of the pool lounge, but you can sometimes convince them to swing by your favorite poolside location! The Waiohia has multiple BBQs throughout the property so you don't have to eat expensive dinners out every night. If you do want to eat out, you have Roy's, Keoki's, Plantation Gardens, Brennecke's, and Casa di Amici all within walking distance. I also recommend the Beach House which is a quick 5 minute drive on the way to spouting horn. They Hyatt has 2 great restaurants (Tidepools and Dondero's) but are a litle pricey. We also recommend Gaylord's in Lihue. For the fish lovers, you HAVE to get the fresh seared ahi and poke' at Koloa fish market (next to the Big Save).

The Waiohai sets right on one of the most desirable beaches in America. The great thing is that you also have great beaches just a rocks throw away in front of the Sheraton, along with Brennecke's Beach (on either side of Poipu Beach). The timeshare value is a great deal as you compare to other properties on Kauai specifically in the Poipu area. There is a new property - Koloa Landing, which is going in just west of the Sheraton. They are tauting beach property, but the condo property will only be taking you to the ocean area but NO beach. These units will sell for $1-3M each. The Waiohai is RIGHT ON Poipu Beach and you will have very similar ammenites and this property is only 4 years old. There is something for everyone at the beaches in Poipu. Great snorekling, boogey boarding, and surfing. Monk Seals are seen regularly on the beach along with sea turtles hanging 20 yards out.

Kauai has very limited growth so you will never see high rise hotels or condos. Much different than the overcrowded beaches in Kaanapali (Maui) and Waikiki (Oahu). We've stayed at the Waihoai now going on 3 straight years. I highly recommend the Waiohai to anyone that loves Hawaii for family vacations.

Stayed: July 2007
21  Thank hawk-kkkd
Also consider these accommodations in or near Poipu
Kauai Beach Resort
#4 of 11 in Lihue
Koloa
Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa

Been to Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club? Share your experiences!