Message from TripAdvisor:

“Great place for relaxing”

Poipu Shores Resort
Ranked #14 of 30 Specialty Lodging in Poipu
Plymouth, Michigan, United States
“Great place for relaxing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2013

Poipu Shores is in the perfect location for many activities on the south coast of Kauai. It was a 5 minute walk to beaches and a 15 min drive to Port Allen for scuba diving. The staff were great and the place was nice and clean. Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jay O
Oceanfrontcondos, General Manager at Poipu Shores Resort, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Aloha and Mahalo for staying with us and taking the time to write a review. We sincerely hope you get the chance to return to Kauai and choose us for your paradise destination.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2013

A102 was incredible! The bed was just as phenomenal as was promised and the waves put me right to sleep every night. From the pool, to the grounds, everything was immaculate. I loved the shower; amazing space and water pressure (which is very important to some people). The washer and dryer were very convenient as well. The sheets were divine, and they supplied soft, extra-large bath towels and beach towels. Having the pool just a few yards away was amazing, and we spent a good amount of time watching our turtle friends play just below in the water every day.

We sat on the lanai reveled in the rainbows and sea breeze while having our coffee each morning. We cooked in most days/nights and rarely left. This is a condo to stay in for an “unwinding” & true relaxation kind of vacation. I never slept better in my entire life, again, I have to mention the amazing bed and the waves rocking you to sleep. This was the first place I have ever stayed in Kauai where I wasn’t woken by roosters at 3 am every morning.

I feel it’s most important to point out that Patricia was a joy to work with from the start. I have to admit that there were other beautiful properties that were less expensive, but she made me feel comfortable from the beginning, answering all of my silly questions. She made sure we had everything we needed at all times, and was always available during our stay to take our calls. She went above and beyond and was kind enough to assist us when I made a flight error, and had to stay an extra night (I can think of worst mistakes someone can make). You can really tell that she loves her job, and I thank her from the bottom of my heart for all of her hospitality.

I don’t want to list the few things they could have improved on as I am sure it has been taken care of by now, as Patricia just started managing this condo when we were there. They were just small suggestions. One thing…I hope they changed out that couch by now!! It was like a sitting on a rock, yet somehow less comfortable.

My husband and I are returning to Kauai in a few months, and it occurred to me that I never wrote a review on this amazing condo. Unfortunately, this condo wasn’t available for the entire duration of our stay this time, so I am actually pretty bummed we won’t be staying there again this year, almost to the point of devastation. The least I can do is write this review, to encourage others to stay in A102, and have the pleasure of working with Patricia, and enjoy a heavenly, peaceful vacation.

Room Tip: Book through VRBO to make sure you get a good room, dont take your chances on the package deal. I...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Winnetka, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

We stayed at Poipu Shores #304A for 12 days recently in August. It was our first trip to Kauai, and to Hawaii, so we wanted everything to be perfect. We rented this condo through Lynn Hufschmid of Great Vacation Retreats, and she was great to work with, helping us find what we wanted, and we were very happy with this choice. The condo was exactly as pictured online. The property is managed onsite by a different group than who we rented from, but we did not have any issues while there and the Great Vacation Rentals office is a short distance away in the Poipu Shopping Village if you need to contact them. We stopped in to say hello and ask a couple questions and they were very helpful. The condo itself is on the third floor (there are stairs or you can take the elevator) and the unit overlooks the ocean. This was why we chose this rental: the amazing view of the ocean. You can't get any closer! After flying 5,000 miles, I wanted to see the water first thing in the morning, and I got my wish. Every day I'd get up early and sit on the lanai, watch the sun rise over the water, look for passing dolphins, and enjoy the breeze from the trade winds. The condo is 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, with a full kitchen, dining area, living room area, laundry room, beach towels, Wifi, and a hospitality basket greets you when you arrive with coffee and various necessities to start you off. They also provide locally-made soap, shampoo and lotions from the Island Soap and Candle Works, which was a very nice little luxury. The entire condo is updated with beautiful cabinets, granite counter tops, tile floors throughout and everything was very clean. My 10-year old son enjoyed the flat-screen TV and DVD player while relaxing at night after a long day at the beaches! The master bedroom is large, has plenty of storage space for clothes, and huge windows with that amazing ocean view. The master bath is en-suite and very nice, with fluffy towels and a large shower. The second bedroom is smaller than the master but was quite fine for my son, and faces the other side of the condo unit (so no ocean view), with a closet and dresser for storage. The second bath is located adjacent to the bedroom, with another large shower (there is no tub is this condo, if that is something you need). The second bedroom is actually quieter for sleeping than the master, as the ocean waves pound the rocks all night long. Some people might love this sound, some might not, so just FYI, if you are a light sleeper, either bring earplugs or sleep in the second bedroom. One big benefit of this condo location: NO crowing roosters! None on the property at all, and trust me, after hearing them all over the island at all hours, it is lovely to not hear them crowing when you want to go to sleep. Both bedrooms have ceiling fans, as does the living room area. The condo does not have air conditioning, and while we did not find this to be an issue, there were a couple nights that it got a little stuffy when the winds quieted down, so we just went and bought a $20 fan from Wal-Mart to move the air a little more, and that worked fine. The condo buildings themselves are older and yes they look a little dated, and while we didn't really care about that at all, it is not like the posh grounds of the Hyatt. But it is private, not overrun with people, very clean and very quiet. The pool is quite nice, also very clean, with a good-size deck area with chairs and tables. It is not overly fancy, but we enjoyed it every day and never felt like it was crowded. We all loved standing on the pool deck and watching the waves crash onto the rocks right below us, and watching the sea turtles swim in the waves. We saw so many, we lost count! There is no beach in front of the property - it is all lava rocks which are fun for watching tidepools and the little crabs scuttling around - but Poipu Beach and Brennecke Beach are a short walk and you can see both beaches from the lanai. (If you are traveling with little kids, I'd recommend driving to the beach instead of walking and carrying all your gear.) They do not provide beach gear other than towels, so we rented from Snorkel Bob's. As for the condo location, we found it to be a great base for exploring the island. There are plenty of great restaurants nearby, Lihue is only a short 20 minute drive and the North Shore is about an hour or so, depending on traffic. Waimea Canyon and the west side of the island are also not far away. While I have not posted any photos on this site, the photos I have seen of the property are exactly how it looks! Overall, we were very pleased with the condo and location - we even extended our trip four extra days because we did not want to go home yet! If we return again, we will definitely stay here again. Aloha!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
9 Thank RileyB196
Oceanfrontcondos, Manager at Poipu Shores Resort, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Mahalo for taking the time to review our property. We welcome all reviews as they help us improve our guests stay in the future. We hope you get the opportunity to return to the property again.
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2012

I rented this unit from Patricia Biehn. From my first communication to her through departure, she was responsive, available to all questions, patient, and truly full of the spirit of Aloha. The unit 303A, is in great shape. It's fully furnished, including boogie boards, beach towels, washer, dryer, and full kitchen, with dishes, etc. Balcony overlooks the ocean, with pool to your extreme left. All her photos of the unit were exactly as they looked. Sunsets were incredible! There is no beach, but Poipu Beach and resorts are a five minute walk away.

The grounds look great and seem well maintained, considering this is right on the ocean. As others have said, the sea turtles are fun to watch. We were looking for a resort-like location, without the resort-like fees and we found it. This place was great and if I ever return, I will stay here.

Here is the website:

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Stan86
Oceanfrontcondos, General Manager at Poipu Shores Resort, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Aloha and mahalo for writing a response concerning your recent stay here at the property. Our ocean front location does provide great entertainment from our family of honu who live in the coves and in season, the whales that pass by. We hope you do get the opportunity to revisit the property.
La Jolla, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2012

My wife and I just completed and 11 day stay in Kauai at 4 destinations. John and Janis's unit #103A at Poipu shores was one of our favorite destinations - not just on this trip but in all the Hawaiian Islands.
The unit is on the first floor. Unlike most places, the first floor units at Poipu Shores are the most sought after (I know I compared real estate prices here). For the first floor one can walk out right to the pool or the beach.
The unit itself is very large - 2 nice size bedrooms with laundry and a full kitchen. If one closes the shades during the day (that is when you're not enjoying the view) it stays very cool. The Master bedroom has air-conditioning that we never bothered to use. The main bedroom has a King-Size bed that's very comfortable.
Within the first 14 hours of our stay, we saw a large pod of dolphins, sea turtles, and a seal. During the rest of our stay we saw only a couple of sea turtles so I'm not sure how John arranged the wildlife show during the beginning of our stay.
The rooms are 'quiet' - I put that in quotes because it's quiet from humans. The sound of the waves crashing against the rocks can be loud. We loved the sound so much we didn't dare turn on the air conditioning, instead we opted to sleep with the windows open.I think it's possible to stay closer to the water. One could stay on a boat or a submarine.
The nearby Poipu beach is excellent. Poipu is an excellent location for exploring the western part of the island and Waimea Canyon. We stayed in a highly-rated B&B in the western part of the Island but didn't like it 1/2 as much as we enjoyed Poipu Shores.
After Poipu Shores, we checked into the Hyatt where I had a couple of free nights. I loved the Hyatt but 2 days of the busy resort was quite enough. However, I would have preferred to stay longer at Poipu shores.

Room Tip: Do a private rental so you know what room you're getting. Go to flipkey (by tripadvisor) and se...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank sand_ca_traveler
Oceanfrontcondos, General Manager at Poipu Shores Resort, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
Mahalo for taking the time to review our property. Poipu Shores with all its ocean front rooms offers quite a view. We will always strive to make your stay as enjoyable as possible.
Blackwood, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2012

My wife and I recently stayed at Poipu Shores Unit 202B. Absolutely AWESOME! I can't think of a more enjoyable, tranquil, place on this whole earth. This ocean front unit is perfectly located directly off the parking lot, NO STAIRS but rests on the 2nd floor ocean side that boasts stunning views of the blue pacific, lazy palms, and sea life abound. The heated pool just below and to the right, is perfect and a must for anyone that would like to escape everyday life for rest and relaxation. The pounding surf, the ocean wildlife, is in itself a treasure rarely available to anyone let alone right outside 3 sliding doors and an expansive lanai.

Owner Tarak, has done a nice job keeping this unit comfortable and up to date. He has it well stocked with beach gear and towels for your use, a real plus. He was a pleasure to conduct business with, very easy going and eager to accommodate.

We are planning another trip back to beautiful Poipu, Kauai next year. Give yourselves a real treat, stay at this condo, you will not be sorry that you did. Totally memorable!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Chris S
, General Manager at Poipu Shores Resort, responded to this review, June 29, 2012
Mahalo for taking the time to review your stay here at Poipu Shores Resort. I sincerely hope you get the opportunity to return and enjoy our property and all the Kauai has to offer.
Kansas City, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2012

We rented #106A from John and Janis through www. kauaibeachfrontcondo.com I can not say enough good things about our experience with Janis and their condo #106A. First off the condo is newly remodeled and prof.decorated with local Hawian art great high quality furnature very comfy beds and very clean!and i am perticular about my cleaning .The unit has almost everything you might need,soap,dish soap,dishwasher soap, up scale pots and pans and dishes and silver, spices ,laundry soap full size washer/dryer ,great cieling fans,beach chaires,snorkel gear ,books,flat screen tvs,granite counters and back splash,stainless appliences inc subzero frig, free $30 bottle of champaine,there are nice BBQ grills right outside the condo we BBQ ed 3 nights we were there. Roys is a restaurant near by very up scale but gggggreat ! The pool is very nice and has a great view.The only negitives I have about this property is the pool closes at sunset but we stayed later and no one said anything , you need to use your key to open the pool gate and use your key to get out of the pool area ,the parking lot was full even in the pre high season of June 9-14, 2012 it was hard to get a spot if you come in late. We did the Smith Familys Tropical Luau I recommend it you get a tram ride throu a beautiful 20 acer tropical garden before the dinner great food!!! and a great show in a theater setting instead of watching from dinner tables.

Room Tip: rent unit from John and Janis from www.kauaibeachfrontcondo.com
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank kcpetcare
Oceanfrontcondos, General Manager at Poipu Shores Resort, responded to this review, June 18, 2012
Aloha and Mahalo for taking th time to review the property. Although he did not bok through Caslte Resorts and Hotels we are pleased you enjoyed your stay and had such nice things to say about the proeprty. We hope you get the opportunity to return in the future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Poipu
Koloa
Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club
Kauai Beach Resort
#4 of 11 in Lihue
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,223 reviews
Koloa
Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa

Been to Poipu Shores Resort? Share your experiences!