“Spare Yourself the Torture”
Review of McBryde Garden

McBryde Garden
Ranked #11 of 32 things to do in Poipu
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: NTBG’s McBryde Garden is located on the south shore of Kauai in the picturesque Lawai Valley. Tours run daily and include a ride from the Visitors Center in Poipu along a scenic coastal route and continue along the valley rim on a former sugarcane train railbed. Visitors disembark on the valley floor to explore this outstanding garden, known for its diverse collection of tropical plants. McBryde, NTBG’s flagship garden, is home to the world’s largest collection of native Hawaiian flora, many endangered or having gone extinct in the wild. It is a “botanical ark”, filled with palms, flowering trees, ornamental flowers, and unusual plants from the tropical world.National Tropical Botanical Garden is a nonprofit institution, dedicated to saving and studying tropical plants.
Reviewed December 26, 2012

I agree completely with the post below - even if your condo is in the Sahara you will find more flowers there. Astoundingly terrible- total waste of time and money. Awful.

2  Thank TKIP

Reviewed December 15, 2012

I suggest to skip this garden and find another. There are no flowers blooming and it's just a large open space with grass and a bunch of palm trees. The entrance fee of $15 is quite steep! Thankfully we didn't pay the full price because we found a coupon in a local tourist brochure. The best part was only a short little 2 minutes at an overlook towards a beach. Overall, I am very disappointed in this garden and would not recommend it unless you completely run out of things to do on your stay here on beautiful Kauai. This garden is also not suitable for the handicap or if you have any sort of injury that would prevent you from climbing up and down stairs.

Reviewed December 11, 2012

Not to be missed. Takes a minimum of 90 minutes.Very scenic on the 15 drive by shuttle. Driver made a stop to look down at the beach which adjoins the property.

Reviewed December 5, 2012

I had my walker because of a knee injury. I could not go on the tours because they are not handicapped friendly at all. My friend had to take the tour without me. They didn't even have a ramp up to the office or to the bathrooms. The gal where you bought your ticket didn't seem to care I couldn't go.

Reviewed December 3, 2012

We lucked out and bought tickets and got to the bus just in time for the last tour of the day (at 3pm). You are driven by shuttle to the gardens and told where to be for pick-up (an hour later). We did not have time to visit the "Spice" area...if you don't have a 3 and 7 year old though you could probably make-it all in one hour. Then again, if you enjoy photographing plants/flowers you may want to give yourself 2 hours (and take earlier slot).
The gift store was very cute and had some ornament gourds with carvings and cute fabric barrettes with flowers (among other things!). We stopped there afterwards and bought a few items. If our kids were older we may have looked into the Allerton(?) gardens offered at sunset.

Been to McBryde Garden? Share your experiences!